PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Hardware/Software recomendations - Multiple Monitors, Multiple Uses

tonya
May 25th, 2011, 02:29 PM
Greetings - I'm looking to replace my current multiple machine setup with a single machine solution with 4 displays. Reviewing similar posts I found that most dealt with troubleshooting existing setups - My hope is to find community members with similar (& working) setups and avoid weeks of troubleshooting by making wise product choices now.

My goals are to 1) show 4 workspaces on 4 displays and be able to drag/drop/move between them w/o diving through flaming hoops; 2) in those all too rare instances when I'm not working I'd like to tune in some television, or other media, for display on one tube - or across all 4 as a single display.

Am I dreaming? If not, your hardware/software recommendations are appreciated!

slick666
May 25th, 2011, 03:17 PM
This is comming from a guy that used to work with a multi-monitor setup. But I haven't done this since 10.04. I ended up using nVidia card with just two monitors. The nVidia card treated the two monitors as ONE big screen. Gnome then chopped it up into 2 seperate desktops. This was great since when I maximised a program is maxed to a single screen and didn't split across the two. I could full screen a VM and it would just sit on the one screen. I would imagine if you want to use a TV tuner to watch some shows what ever application would behave the same.

I hope this helps and FYI if you're looking for a TV tuner use the hauppague 950Q.