PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] PlayStation 3 - Streaming Video

motermouth15
May 24th, 2011, 08:54 PM
Hey Guys-

So i've recently re-setup my linux server. After converting to a windows one, i slowly missed it more and more. Anyways my goal here is to set up something that will act as a media server for my playstation 3. I've tried PMS-linux and I believe I have it installed but I just can't get it to work and the 3tutorials that seem to be out there were of no help.

I guess i dont have my heart set on that program and at this point am looking for ANY program that will allow me to do this, but one that would have a detailed tutorial. The other thing i wanted to mention as well is I'm currently running a Ubuntu Server 10.04 (headless).

Any help that i can get from you guys would be great!!

Thanks-
Nate

coffeecat
May 24th, 2011, 10:53 PM
Two thoughts for you and I stress these are thoughts only. I have little expertise in this area.

The first is, have a look at Mediatomb. Useful link:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MediaTomb

I tried setting it up in Ubuntu about a year ago and my PS3 saw my media files when Ubuntu was running, and I was able to stream them. I didn't pursue it any further because my computer is usually switched off when I want to use my PS3 for watching videos or whatever.

The other thing I found by accident. I have a WD MyBookWorld NAS device on which I have set up my own smb share with password. But it also comes with a passwordless "Public" sbm share with "Shared Music", "Shared Videos" and "Shared Pictures" folders already created. When I put music, videos and jpegs in the respective folders, my PS3 picked them up automatically and I was able to stream them. My suggestion: create a "Public" passwordless smb share on your Ubuntu server and see if you can do the same. You will probably have to create the three folders named as I have quoted.

backu
May 24th, 2011, 11:03 PM
I'm running PMS-Linux, it's not that hard really, just a matter of having all the proper stuff installed for transcoding Video files that are not natively supported on the PS3, other than that, it generally works OOB

motermouth15
May 27th, 2011, 02:00 AM
I understand that its not extremely hard, however, my PS3 wont even detect the pms-linux. I've also spent about a week looking into this and can't figure it out :/

Any ideas?