PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Complete Multimedia application

sonnet
May 24th, 2011, 07:42 PM
Is there a complete multimedia application for Linux?
An application which can manage pictures,video and music. And also radio channels, internet tv channels, podcasts and dvb-t channels through tv card?
If not, which application get most close to it?

dnguyen1963
May 24th, 2011, 08:42 PM
Is there a complete multimedia application for Linux?
An application which can manage pictures,video and music. And also radio channels, internet tv channels, podcasts and dvb-t channels through tv card?
If not, which application get most close to it?

ArtistX distro has the most complete media packages.

sonnet
May 24th, 2011, 09:19 PM
ArtistX distro has the most complete media packages.

what I mean is an application like VLC, Miro Banshee and soon, which alone can do all the things or almost all, I mentioned

handy
May 25th, 2011, 04:05 AM
I don't think so.

Though I'll be happy to be proven wrong. :)

A problem with such a solution, is that it has to handle all of the required types of media & satisfy all of the existing types of user.

BIG problem trying to pull that one off.

To attempt to do that would require SO many configuration options that this one size fits all application would be a monster.

Perhaps a GUI front end that could efficiently handle pipes to & from certain applications (such as those you mentioned) may be a workable possibility that becomes manifest?

dnguyen1963
May 25th, 2011, 02:50 PM
what I mean is an application like VLC, Miro Banshee and soon, which alone can do all the things or almost all, I mentioned

I know what you meant, but with ArtistX you can open all the applications at the same time on your desktop...just like open one gigantic application (if there is one). The folks at ArtistX have done their homework. Most multimedia apps work fine alone or at the same time as others are open.

aeiah
May 25th, 2011, 03:05 PM
well, xbmc and its more internet-centric offshoot boxee do all this, but they dont feel like desktop applications. whilst you can run them in a window with keyboard and mouse, they're really designed to be used with a remote, shown fullscreen on an HDTV