PDA

View Full Version : More good news - Low Fat Kubuntu

kansasnoob
May 23rd, 2011, 12:01 PM
Low Fat Kubuntu

As a result of ongoing efforts in the area of embedded systems, the Kubuntu team has acquired a lot of knowledge in slimming down the default KDE Workspace to a bare minimum, freeing up more resources for other use. This makes it possible for use to introduce a new set of default configurations enabling a low fat Kubuntu setup.

While we realize that many of the technologies that make the KDE 4 workspace the incredible amazing product that it is, we also see a demand in reducing resource consumption on systems with limited hardware resources. The low fat configurations of Kubuntu 11.10 will enable users to run the KDE workspace on setups where it is essential that the base system uses as little resources as possible.

Source:

http://apachelog.wordpress.com/2011/05/17/kubuntu-11-10-sneak-peak/

Just another option for any of us who are less than thrilled with Gnome3 :D

Asraniel
May 23rd, 2011, 12:05 PM
kubuntu already uses very little memory. Using even less is always good :)

NightwishFan
May 23rd, 2011, 12:19 PM
I think I can agree. If this proves to be the case then I am very happy for Kubuntu users.

PaulW2U
May 23rd, 2011, 06:01 PM
Just another option for any of us who are less than thrilled with Gnome3 :D

Thank you for posting this kansasnoob. Reading the main forums you would think that natty = unity, which is clearly not the case, alternative desktops seem to be forgotten. Any positive post in favour of the rest of the Ubuntu family is welcomed especially Kubuntu which I feel hasn't had the level of attention it deserves from the developers. After I finally managed to get it set up the way that I wanted I found many of the KDE applications to be far superior to their Gnome counterparts.

I'll probably help out with Kubuntu testing for this development cycle. :D

kansasnoob
May 23rd, 2011, 11:31 PM
I'll probably help out with Kubuntu testing for this development cycle.

I'm unsure ATM which DE I'll go with for iso-testing :confused:

Next week will be alpha1 and I think then I'll stick with Ubuntu, after that it depends on what I see.

I'll certainly be doing a lot more testing in VM's just to get a general feel of all DE's available.

xebian
May 24th, 2011, 12:10 AM
I'm unsure ATM which DE I'll go with for iso-testing :confused:

Next week will be alpha1 and I think then I'll stick with Ubuntu, after that it depends on what I see.

I'll certainly be doing a lot more testing in VM's just to get a general feel of all DE's available.

Kubuntu for sure will have the KDE 4.7 beta1.

I wish they could get a very lean Kubuntu that can run totally in RAM. The Slackware based Porteus runs quite fast in RAM. The live CD is a petite 299MB.

buzzmandt
May 24th, 2011, 02:08 AM
I absolutely love kubuntu, the only thing i change is to use smooth-tasks (available in repos) and glide effect. The rest is spot on perfect.

teh603
May 24th, 2011, 01:47 PM
Thank you for posting this kansasnoob. Reading the main forums you would think that natty = unity, which is clearly not the case, alternative desktops seem to be forgotten. Any positive post in favour of the rest of the Ubuntu family is welcomed especially Kubuntu which I feel hasn't had the level of attention it deserves from the developers. After I finally managed to get it set up the way that I wanted I found many of the KDE applications to be far superior to their Gnome counterparts.

I'll probably help out with Kubuntu testing for this development cycle. :DAgreed, lots of people seem to forget the alternative desktops like KDE now that Unity has become the biggest thing since sliced bread.

I wonder if low-fat KDE would run on my old Winbook... I like to keep it around as a "Hey, this old thing from '03 can still run a modern OS" piece, just to mess with peoples' heads a bit, but it doesn't mix very well with Kubuntu. Last Linux I could get it to run properly was regular Jaunty, and even then it only used the vesa video driver.

el_koraco
May 24th, 2011, 08:29 PM
I'll probably help out with Kubuntu testing for this development cycle. :D

I'm not even using it right now, and don't plan to, but the last dev cycle was so much fun, especially with the kforums, I'm gonna jump in on Alpha 1 this time around.

teh603
May 24th, 2011, 10:09 PM
I'm not even using it right now, and don't plan to, but the last dev cycle was so much fun, especially with the kforums, I'm gonna jump in on Alpha 1 this time around.I'll prolly help out with it on my laptop, too, or possibly the Winbook if it can be light enough weight to run on less than a gig of memory, and questionable video hardware. I can't do it on the mac mini, though, because its DVD drive seems to be failing.

Alejandro Nova
June 3rd, 2011, 12:33 AM
Instead of "trimming Kubuntu", what about working in Akonadi-Virtuoso integration? If you make Akonadi work under Virtuoso, that's 80 MB less of RAM (a MySQL instance) with no loss of functionality. The same could be done with Amarok and Digikam. 80 MB x 3 (240 MB) sounds like an awesome memory reduction, and the testament for how effective it is, is called Bangarang.

If you are going to use a RDBS for storing data systemwide, please, use only one. We'll appreciate the savings.