PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Switch audio in/out sockets on Natty

neogarfield
May 23rd, 2011, 10:05 AM
Hey,
i'm running Ubuntu Natty, and i have this little problem with my sound card. i have three jacks on the card, the usual with a normal home PC, - one for the speakers, second for the microphone, and third for line in. Now my speakers (Line out) jack is damaged a little. So when i plug in my speaker jack there, i get audio only in the right speaker (not a problem of the speakers, because i tested it, and not Ubuntu either, because this problem existed when i used to run Windows XP as well).

Now in Windows XP, what i used to do is, there was this tool (i think it came with the sound driver - Realtek) whenever i plugged in a jack into either of the sockets, a gui would ask me what i just plugged in, and it would allocate audio in and out according to what i specify then. So i used to plug in my speakers into the line in, because thats something i do not use, and used the tool to identify that jack as the line out.

Is there some way i can do this on Ubuntu? i want to get line-out through the line-in socket. i'm a beginner with Ubuntu, and know only to use the GUI...

Help would be appreciated :) Thank you!

neogarfield
May 24th, 2011, 08:29 AM
Any clues on this anybody?

lidex
May 25th, 2011, 05:12 AM
You may need realtek drivers to do that, however post your stats and we'll see. Use the alsa-info-script to provide detailed information.
Run this command in a terminal:

wget http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-info.sh -O alsa-info.sh && bash alsa-info.sh
Choose the upload option and provide a link for the output.
[Terminal="Applications-> Accessories-> Terminal"]

neogarfield
May 26th, 2011, 11:06 AM
Thanks! Did that. Here's the link-
http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=9121891e6813d81afa8060b8042de27e7e1e5f46

lidex
May 27th, 2011, 08:45 PM
Open alsamixer:
Alsamixer
Using a Terminal="Applications-> Accessories-> Terminal"

alsamixer
Press <F6> to select the correct soundcard.
Press <F3> to show playback levels. <F4> selects capture levels [or use <Tab>]
Use the left/right arrow keys to select and up/down arrow keys to change levels. <M> to mute/unmute.

Adjust the 'Line' element

neogarfield
May 30th, 2011, 09:32 AM
Hey lidex, thank you for the reply. Sorry i couldn't try this out earlier - i had gone away from home for a couple of days.

i tried what you suggested. First, there was no Line in capture. There were Capture, Capture 1, Capture 2, Input source [Mic], Input source 1 [Mic], and Input source 2 [Mic]. Of this only the first, Capture, was unmuted. The others were muted. i found a line in Playback, and increased levels, but that didn't help my case...

What next?

Thank you...

lidex
May 30th, 2011, 11:18 PM
Simple mixer control 'Line',0
Capabilities: pvolume pswitch penum
Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Playback 0 - 65
Mono:
Front Left: Playback 0 [0%] [-35.00dB] [off]
Front Right: Playback 0 [0%] [-35.00dB] [off]
You'll need to unmute also. The mute and level functions are separate.

neogarfield
May 31st, 2011, 09:42 AM
Oops, didn't see that one.

So i unmuted and increased the levels for the "Line" element in Playback, but it still doesn't help my case. My speakers are plugged into the Line In on my CPU...

What next?

lidex
June 1st, 2011, 03:56 AM
I feel there should be an easy way to do this, but I've been wrong before. Perhaps hda analyzer can solve this.

hda-analyzer
~~~~~~~~~~~~
hda-analyzer provides a graphical interface to access the raw HD-audio
control, based on pyGTK2 binding. It's a more powerful version of
hda-verb. The program gives you an easy-to-use GUI stuff for showing
the widget information and adjusting the amp values, as well as the
proc-compatible output.

The hda-analyzer:

- http://git.alsa-project.org/?p=alsa.git;a=tree;f=hda-analyzer

is a part of alsa.git repository in alsa-project.org:

- git://git.alsa-project.org/alsa.git

neogarfield
June 1st, 2011, 02:12 PM
Hmmm. i'm sorry! You'll have to guide me through this! How can i go ahead and use it?