PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] MSN webcam chat in Ubuntu?

SwingKid
May 22nd, 2011, 04:36 PM
Hi, how can I webcam chat with people using MSN? I have pidgin and Skype. Not everyone has Skype, and it is a pity, since it seems to be impossible for Ubuntu users to use their web-cameras while chatting with people using MSN (which is most frequently used around the globe). Is this correct or is there any work-arounds I should know about? I have also tried aMSN, emesene, and Kopete. :(

dyem1
May 22nd, 2011, 05:33 PM
There was possible some time ago to use webcam in those programs, but i think that msn developers changed the protocol of the webcams, and now only the official msn client can do that. It's a shame, but if you have gmail you can use gtalk that is very simple to install but you need to have a gmail account.

rvchari
May 22nd, 2011, 05:37 PM
Hi, how can I webcam chat with people using MSN? I have pidgin and Skype. Not everyone has Skype, and it is a pity, since it seems to be impossible for Ubuntu users to use their web-cameras while chatting with people using MSN (which is most frequently used around the globe). Is this correct or is there any work-arounds I should know about? I have also tried aMSN, emesene, and Kopete. :(

have you tried empathy ? long ago i used that for video chat using my yahoo and hotmail account. donno if that works coz i evolved to gtalk and skype

SwingKid
May 23rd, 2011, 12:31 AM
There was possible some time ago to use webcam in those programs, but i think that msn developers changed the protocol of the webcams, and now only the official msn client can do that. It's a shame, but if you have gmail you can use gtalk that is very simple to install but you need to have a gmail account.

Ya, I know. Pidgin sync with gtalk too. It's okay. But this is a major flaw with Ubuntu.

beew
May 23rd, 2011, 12:41 AM
Ya, I know. Pidgin sync with gtalk too. It's okay. But this is a major flaw with Ubuntu.

I cannot get pidgin to work with gtalk, video quality is horrible (and empathy is worse) and the other end cannot see me if I connect to gtalk through pidgin (with empathy both sides can see each other but the video is unwatchable and it crashes)

P.S How is it a major flaw of Ubuntu when MSN decided to change its webcam protocol?

SwingKid
May 23rd, 2011, 12:51 AM
I cannot get pidgin to work with gtalk, video quality is horrible (and empathy is worse) and the other end cannot see me if I connect to gtalk through pidgin (with empathy both sides can see each other but the video is unwatchable and it crashes)

P.S How is it a major flaw of Ubuntu when MSN decided to change its webcam protocol?

Point taken, it is not Ubuntu's fault but MSN's. But it is a flaw with Ubuntu because it leaves the Ubuntu community left outside a majority of friends and family members using MSN to chat, also with webcam, with.

beew
May 23rd, 2011, 12:55 AM
Point taken, it is not Ubuntu's fault but MSN's. But it is a flaw with Ubuntu because it leaves the Ubuntu community left outside a majority of friends and family members using MSN to chat, also with webcam, with.

Maybe you can get your friends and family to use something else like gtalk if you want video chat. I only use MSN for text.

This one also looks interesting.http://www.faceflow.com/

If someone cannot bother the trouble to do a one click install so they can see you maybe you don't need to see their faces either. :)

EDITED: Normally I would recommend Skype but now MicroSoft has acquired it the future of the Linux version is uncertain.

SwingKid
May 23rd, 2011, 07:53 AM
Oh yea..****! I just recalled that as well!!! :( Would this mean the end perhaps of having Skype as a last resort??

You know sometimes you have to adapt to the majority. Now at least there are enough people using Skype so it is easy for me to just tell them to go there or to download it because they've heard about it since the founder is from here (Sweden). Have anyone heard about it if Microsoft have such intentions for Skype and what they want to do with it? Why do they hate us so much? :( *sob*
:guitar: