PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Minimum graphics requ'd for smooth MTS (1080-50p) video playback?

azenz
May 21st, 2011, 06:25 PM
Hi,

I got a Geforce 8400GS 512MB with a 2.8 Ghz quad core system on Ubuntu 10.04 64 bit. MTS videos from my camcorder, which are AVCHD 28 mbit encoded don't play back smoothly using the nvidia proprietary driver (195.36.24). I compared with Windows XP, and concluded that it must be my not terribly high powered graphics card (silent, w/o fan) that must be too weak - the rest of the system is really quite fast. The software isn't really the issue either, I don't think, especially since the latest VLC under Windows XP doesn't do it, either.

Do people have experience what kind of a graphics can can power such video to play back smoothly? I am considering a 1 GB Asus Geforce GT520 with 1GB DDR3 (the 8400 has DDR2) - since it is also silent and I have a compact HTPC (a Shuttle), so shouldn't run too hot and I don't like loud fan noise.

I'm not sure if it is the larger and faster graphics RAM, or a fast graphics CPU (GT520 has 810 Ghz versus 8400GS has 500 Mhz) that will make the difference... What is people's experience?