PDA

View Full Version : Regular Expressions

nair
May 20th, 2011, 08:50 PM
I have no experience with regular expressions. I am trying to find a good application out there which can implement regular expressions for the purposes of searching and replacing pieces of text in a text file.

So far I have attempted to use Notepad++ and Visual Studio 2010. I haven't found any good documentation for Notepad++ regarding regular expressions, and VS2010 has examples which I either have not been able to follow/replicate...or do not address the actual problem I am trying to solve.

A few things that I want to be able to do with regular expressions are:

Search multiple lines at the same time, (ex. line 1 has "Joe", line 2 has "Blow"...be able to search and return one result for "Joe Blow").
Handle spaces and tabs that are in variable amounts, (ex. "_____Joe", and "Joe" can all be found in the same search for "Joe"; whether spaces/tabs are present or not should not prevent the result from being returned; NOTE that underline is intended to be several spaces, but this forum's formatting will not allow me to post it like that).
Be able to do a find on one line (ex. line 5) and perform the replace on a different line (ex. line 4 or line 6) located relative to the found line.

I've performed several search on Google, and found marginally useful information on StackOverflow pertaining to my exact problem. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I am open to using the previously mentioned applications for this task, or using entirely different ones. I am a huge regular expressions noob.

StrayEddy
May 20th, 2011, 09:06 PM
You can do regex (regular expressions) in notepad++:

http://astuces.jeanviet.info/bureautique/rechercher-et-remplacer-du-texte-avec-notepad-et-quelques-regex.htm

And to test your regex beforehand, use:

http://rubular.com/
(this site is sooo awesome and usefull)

Good luck

simeon87
May 20th, 2011, 09:18 PM
Have a look at grep, it's installed in Ubuntu and you can search through files using regular expressions. With some knowledge of regular expressions, you can find what you want with grep.

bashologist
May 23rd, 2011, 04:49 PM
Perl is great the the kind of examples you've given. Read a good book on perl.

Books that I've read and found useful:
Learning Perl
Mastering Regular Expressions

nair
May 25th, 2011, 02:47 PM
Is it true that regular expressions are based on some sort of global standard? It seems like, just from comparing Notepad++ and VS, that regular expressions work differently or have a different type of formatting depending upon the environment/IDE in which they are implemented.

Barrucadu
May 25th, 2011, 02:50 PM
There is a POSIX standard, PCRE (Perl's regular expressions - POSIX but with extensions) is very widespread, and mathematical conventions (regular expressions are, after all, merely a syntax for denoting a (regular) formal grammar), but no "enforced" standards.