PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problems with Sound Juicer/ Rythmbox - Please Help

plinx
May 20th, 2011, 04:51 AM
Hey all, Sound Juicer and Rythmbox have suddenly both stopped retrieving track names on any CD. I have checked and it is not working for cds which are listed on Music Brains. I uninstalled/reinstalled Sound Juicer and this made no difference. Does anyone know how to fix this? BTW Asunder will retrieve the names, but I have found that it will freeze often with older cd's I'm ripping. Thanks for any help, Colin

Howie Spitz
May 22nd, 2011, 06:06 AM
I have the same problem. Sound Juicer/Rhythmbox just try to retrieve track listings. Then if I try to submit album on MusicBrainz it points me to the release I am looking for! Rhythmbox 0.12.8/Sound Juicer 2.28.1.
:confused: Ubuntu 10.4

Howie Spitz
May 29th, 2011, 08:31 PM
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/sound-juicer/+bug/788921

This is what I'm experiencing. SJ/RB worked fine in May then stopped retrieving album info last week.

karrank%
May 30th, 2011, 01:55 AM
yeah, i just noticed this too, anyone else? Is it a Soundjuicer thing (would other rippers work)exclusively or...?

Temüjin
May 30th, 2011, 02:41 AM
Start sound-juicer from the terminal and see what it says when metadata retrieval fails.

karrank%
May 30th, 2011, 02:49 AM
Start sound-juicer from the terminal and see what it says when metadata retrieval fails.

This CD could not be queried: Cannot find musicbrainz pages on server. Check your server name and port settings.

Temüjin
May 30th, 2011, 03:05 AM
Follow the bug report. That's a pretty serious issue, so I'm sure the Ubuntu devs will get an update out soon.

karrank%
May 30th, 2011, 03:43 AM
Follow the bug report. That's a pretty serious issue, so I'm sure the Ubuntu devs will get an update out soon.

Thanks, started doing just that when I noticed this. Could there be some disagreement between MusicBrainz & Ubuntu? Could that impinge on the long-term loss of this feature?

Excuse the ignorance, but I'm unacquainted with how these things work. or don't.

Temüjin
May 30th, 2011, 04:10 AM
Well, I guess MusicBrainz changed their address for some reason and that address was a compile time option, which means a package update is needed. It's not a big disagreement or anything like that. Hopefully, Ubuntu will roll out a quick fix and/or change the address to something user-configurable if they think address changes will become common on MusicBrainz's part.

aikiwolfie
June 2nd, 2011, 02:14 PM
Sound Juicer works fine for me right now. Rhythmbox can't get CD info. Pretty stupid design to lock these settings away in Rhythmbox. Sound Juicer seems to be configurable through the Configuration Editor.

bayvista
August 21st, 2011, 07:53 AM
You could try 'ripperx'. It seems to use a different data base to sound juicer and I have found it to be OK.

wvandoorne
August 25th, 2011, 10:56 PM
This worked for me:

1. uninstall sound-juicer:
sudo apt-get remove sound-juicer
(or use the Ubuntu-Software-Center)

2. add a new line in the repository. The line reads:
"deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/phw/musicbrainz/ubuntu lucid main"
(replace the word "lucid" with the version you use if different)

3. reinstall sound-juicer using the Ubuntu-Software-Center

The titels of the songs on my CD showed again because a different Musicbrainz service is used now.
Since the titels are valid now, sound-juicer can handle them again.