PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Open Office VS Libre Office

GiuHei3u
May 19th, 2011, 04:20 PM
Differences? Comments on the operation of both?

thanks

Sef
May 19th, 2011, 05:01 PM
Moved to Recurring Discussions.

LibreOffice forked from OpenOffice when the latter was taken over by Oracle after they bought SUN. Right now they are fairly similar, but with time, they will differ quite a bit.

benc1213
May 19th, 2011, 09:51 PM
How will they differ?

dniMretsaM
May 19th, 2011, 11:57 PM
Well, since OpenOffice is no longer being developed (Oracle ditched it), LibreOffice will continue to be updated with new features, bug fixes, more compatibility with other office programs, etc and OOo will not.

Sef
May 21st, 2011, 05:41 AM
Well, since OpenOffice is no longer being developed (Oracle ditched it)....

Open Office has been released to the community (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/04/15/oracle_letting_openoffice_go/), so it is still being developed, just not by Oracle.

dniMretsaM
May 21st, 2011, 03:56 PM
Oh, my bad. I still get the feeling that LO will be more active. Could be wrong though (I know, it's hard to believe), we'll just have to wait and see.

Sef
May 22nd, 2011, 08:14 AM
Oh, my bad. I still get the feeling that LO will be more active. Could be wrong though (I know, it's hard to believe), we'll just have to wait and see.

I agree with you. I suspect that OpenOffice.org will become a minor player in the office suite market.

seumasl
July 12th, 2011, 10:56 PM
I (at the moment) run windows 7 with some Word docs and some Open Office docs, I am going to use Ubunto 11.4
1. Will Open Office run ok on this or/and 2. would Libre open both Word docs and Open Office docs or would I have to do something to access my old stuff that I probably cannot do
:-}

Sef
July 15th, 2011, 05:04 PM
1. Will Open Office run ok on this

Yes.

2. would Libre open both Word docs and Open Office docs

Yes.

8_Bit
July 17th, 2011, 04:30 AM
OpenOffice, if I'm not mistaken, is now being worked on by the Apache developers, so I expect it will eventually catch up or actually provide some healthy competition against LibreOffice.

linuxman94
July 17th, 2011, 04:33 AM
OpenOffice, if I'm not mistaken, is now being worked on by the Apache developers, so I expect it will eventually catch up or actually provide some healthy competition against LibreOffice.

Yes it has. See here (http://incubator.apache.org/projects/openofficeorg.html) and here (http://www.openoffice.org/news/).

buzzmandt
July 17th, 2011, 08:54 PM
sounds to me it was a bit too early to jump ship from Oo. time will tell

akand074
July 17th, 2011, 10:08 PM
I'm still waiting/hoping for an Office Suite for Linux that's closer to the level of Microsoft Office. Microsoft office is one of the best things Microsoft has ever made, it's such a good office suite. Perhaps Canonical should invest in making it's own office suite. I'd pay for it.

vehemoth
July 18th, 2011, 12:41 AM
I'm waiting for .pub support if it's not already there. I really don't think canonical should start any project like this, they should contribute to existing projects or right extensions to improve usability and the likes.

akand074
July 18th, 2011, 01:17 AM
I'm waiting for .pub support if it's not already there. I really don't think canonical should start any project like this, they should contribute to existing projects or right extensions to improve usability and the likes.

That too. Or anything. I don't care as long as I have a full featured, intuitive office suite. LibreOffice would be good enough if they just added/improved a few core features (not even that many) and gave it a bit of a face lift and we'd be good to go. I feel as if right now our office suits are good competition to Microsoft Office 2003 at best.