PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] 11.04 Where are my pdf's?

gumshoegrant
May 18th, 2011, 09:23 PM
All my downoads go into the /home/download and that is where I open them even the pdf's. But when I close out the pdf and later come back to /home/download all my pdf's are not there.
Are they actually being saved or located somewhere else?

thanks

gumshoe

mike555
May 18th, 2011, 09:28 PM
If you open a .pdf from a webpage instead of saving it , it will be gone after restart........... but if you are opening them from the downloads folder then they should stay there until you delete them .....

unless they are hidden , try clicking on "show hidden files" .... remember any file with a dot in front of the file name will be hidden.

gumshoegrant
May 18th, 2011, 09:33 PM
If you open a .pdf from a webpage instead of saving it , it will be gone after restart........... but if you are opening them from the downloads folder then they should stay there until you delete them .....

unless they are hidden , try clicking on "show hidden files" .... remember any file with a dot in front of the file name will be hidden.

I opened them from the /download folder by double clicking and checked the box "show hidden files" and nothing came up. How would I do a search for these and find what directory they are in if they are even here?

Lateralis
May 18th, 2011, 09:50 PM
That's... odd? If you definitely, absolutely, totally downloaded a physical copy to the hard drive, then it should be where you stored it. First thing you might want to do is check your recycle bin to see if it has been moved there for some reason. Otherwise, the find program might help you:

find / -iname '<file name>'

Notes: find is a program which will search the filesystem hierarchy from a root that you define. In this case I've suggested / as this will search your entire filesystem. If you have a big hard drive with lots of drives attached you may want to change that to /home/<your username> to search just your home directory and sub directories. The -iname switch tells find to be case insensitive to the search. The file name also needs to be in single quotes, e.g. ' ', and can contain the wild card. So, in fact, as a first try, you might want to try:

find /home/<your username> -iname '*.pdf'

to find all *.pdf files in your home directory.

gumshoegrant
May 18th, 2011, 10:17 PM
That's... odd? If you definitely, absolutely, totally downloaded a physical copy to the hard drive, then it should be where you stored it. First thing you might want to do is check your recycle bin to see if it has been moved there for some reason. Otherwise, the find program might help you:

find / -iname '<file name>'
Notes: find is a program which will search the filesystem hierarchy from a root that you define. In this case I've suggested / as this will search your entire filesystem. If you have a big hard drive with lots of drives attached you may want to change that to /home/<your username> to search just your home directory and sub directories. The -iname switch tells find to be case insensitive to the search. The file name also needs to be in single quotes, e.g. ' ', and can contain the wild card. So, in fact, as a first try, you might want to try:

find /home/<your username> -iname '*.pdf'
to find all *.pdf files in your home directory.

They are not in the system so I don't know what is going on but thanks for the advise.

gumshoe

corrytonapple
May 18th, 2011, 11:37 PM
Downloaded means clicking "Save As" instead of "Open With" when you click on the PDF to download it.
Good luck

gumshoegrant
May 19th, 2011, 01:26 AM
downloaded means clicking "save as" instead of "open with" when you click on the pdf to download it.
Good luck

oops!

corrytonapple
May 19th, 2011, 02:11 AM
LOL, we all make mistakes. :)
Good to see you will always have them now!