PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to put the "Applications", "Places" and "System" in Natty (11.04)?

josepharari
May 18th, 2011, 04:03 PM
i dont like unity, at all, its nicer but too inefficient. To find an app takes 2-3 minutes of fighting with the dash/launcher, guessing the name of the app and ignoring the "Apps to download" panel, while in 10.10 it took exactly 3 seconds.

tl;dr how to put the "Applications", "Places" and "System"

http://cdn.omgubuntu.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/10-500x398.jpg

in natty. And yes, i know you can select "Ubuntu Classic" in the login screen, instead of that i want unity with the "Applications", "Places" and "System" icons.

Thanks!!!!

Ken UK
May 18th, 2011, 04:49 PM
2-3 minutes?? Goodnes me you really are lost arn't you lol

Well system is under the on/off button at the top right of the screen. For places just pick the home folder etc.
For Applications just right click on the 'Applications' icon on the launcher.

Its actually more efficient once you get use to it and figure out how it should be used. I know it can be difficult at first to get use to big changes but keep trying. For me I just click the super button or applications and quickly start to type what I want then click enter.

Frogs Hair
May 18th, 2011, 07:24 PM
Select Classic Gnome when you login from the bottom panel after the name has been entered . You can't have both at the same time and it would be redundant anyway .

gamblor01
May 18th, 2011, 07:32 PM
I'm not sure that you can use Unity and the classic menus simultaneously. If I understand correctly, you are limited to one or the other...there is no open for both.

But it sounds like you like the launcher (the dock aspect of Unity), but don't like the newly designed menu. If that's the case you might be better of using the "Ubuntu classic" theme to get the default gnome layout, and then simply install whatever dock you want (awn, cairo-dock, etc.).

dFlyer
May 18th, 2011, 07:38 PM
i dont like unity, at all, its nicer but too inefficient. To find an app takes 2-3 minutes of fighting with the dash/launcher, guessing the name of the app and ignoring the "Apps to download" panel, while in 10.10 it took exactly 3 seconds.

in natty. And yes, i know you can select "Ubuntu Classic" in the login screen, instead of that i want unity with the "Applications", "Places" and "System" icons.

Thanks!!!!

2 - 3 minutes. Come on and get real or add some memory or upgrade the computer to something a little more modern. It's take only a few seconds like 2 - 3 to find and run and application on my old laptop. What's really the problem?

P=NP
May 18th, 2011, 08:11 PM
2 - 3 minutes. Come on and get real or add some memory or upgrade the computer to something a little more modern. It's take only a few seconds like 2 - 3 to find and run and application on my old laptop. What's really the problem?

I think you're missing the point. I too would like to have this option. I prefer dropdown menus. I hate the graphical design. I think the 2-3 minutes was a slight exaggeration of the amount of time it takes to find something in the Unity menu, not how much time it takes to load.

That being said I'm trying to get used to it for the sake of advancement, but I still hate it. The Logout switch at the upper right has some of what you're looking for and there is an invisible menu at the top of the screen (when you're on the Desktop) that you have to scroll over to see and it has some of the other stuff you're looking for.

Wild Man
May 18th, 2011, 09:05 PM

Thanks!!!!
Hi, I know I saw a way to do it but I can not find it now, but I installed the awn launcher from synaptic then installed an applet on it called yet another menu applet I put the launcher at the boottom of my screen when I click on it I have all the menu listings just like in gnome 2.

josepharari
May 18th, 2011, 09:15 PM
I'm not sure that you can use Unity and the classic menus simultaneously. If I understand correctly, you are limited to one or the other...there is no open for both.

But it sounds like you like the launcher (the dock aspect of Unity), but don't like the newly designed menu. If that's the case you might be better of using the "Ubuntu classic" theme to get the default gnome layout, and then simply install whatever dock you want (awn, cairo-dock, etc.).

Wow this is exactly what i was looking for. I forgot to mention, but i was completely in love with the 4 desktops in 10.10, and now i cant move stuff like before because of the "aero snap", so returning to classic and just adding the Dash would be awesome.

Whats the name of of the package, does anybody know?

Wild Man
May 18th, 2011, 11:36 PM
Wow this is exactly what i was looking for. I forgot to mention, but i was completely in love with the 4 desktops in 10.10, and now i cant move stuff like before because of the "aero snap", so returning to classic and just adding the Dash would be awesome.

Whats the name of of the package, does anybody know?
Hi, as in my previous post I stated it is called awn, you can also install docky.:)

NormanFLinux
May 19th, 2011, 12:32 AM
Download and install Cardapio and add it to your launcher.

You'll have the classic start menu you can launch from the Ubuntu icon in the Unity launcher.

emonroe7
January 15th, 2012, 01:58 PM
Cardapio is a much better alternative, and for the record, you are not alone. Do a search for Cardapio and add the PPA. All I could find is the unstable PPA but I read a msg from one of the developers that said it is stable, they are still working on the final release and haven't put up the stable PPA yet.

I installed it just to see how it works and it's not bad. It reminds me of the menu in Mint and Zorin. You can change the icon next to "Menu" to whatever you want if you so desire. There is a place if you right click on it to edit the menu but that isn't working yet probably will when they release the final.

You can also install a dock like "Docky,Awn or Cairo, (Cairo has a cleaner look to me) to work in conjunction with Cardapio. Zorin is working on doing this in the Zorin 6 release (Cardapio and Awn I think). Anyway, I hope this helps ... good luck.