PDA

View Full Version : faceflow a possible alternative to Skype?

MasterNetra
May 17th, 2011, 01:07 AM
I stumpled upon faceflow while looking for a possible alternative for skype for linux. Faceflow is browser based so no installation required. Would try it but atm don't have my webcam setup.

http://www.faceflow.com/

jamesjenner
May 17th, 2011, 01:20 AM
Might give it a try tonight. I'm curious as to what the hardware requirements are cause I find Skype with video very poor on a Netbook (atom 1.0Ghz). Though I've yet to install Linux on the netbook as it's my partners laptop.

MasterNetra
May 17th, 2011, 01:29 AM
Might give it a try tonight. I'm curious as to what the hardware requirements are cause I find Skype with video very poor on a Netbook (atom 1.0Ghz). Though I've yet to install Linux on the netbook as it's my partners laptop.

Again its browser based, you DON'T install anything.

jamesjenner
May 17th, 2011, 01:36 AM

Oh I realise that. I refered to not running linux more as a point to say that I don't know if skype runs better on the hardware under linux as a comparison.

I'm presuming it uses flash, so will be interesting to see how it performs, some flash can be an absolute dog.

NormanFLinux
May 17th, 2011, 01:44 AM
Microsoft says it remains committed to developing Skype for non-Windows platforms.

I wouldn't give up on Skype yet.

cgroza
May 17th, 2011, 01:47 AM
Microsoft says it remains committed to developing Skype for non-Windows platforms.

I wouldn't give up on Skype yet.
We already know what "non-Windows platforms" means for Microsoft.

Lucradia
May 17th, 2011, 02:59 AM

Windows Phone is not non-windows though :V

So I'm guessing Android, which would be ported to a full linux desktop anyway in the end, as well as Mac OSX.

beew
May 17th, 2011, 03:06 AM
So do you have to be on facebook?

3rdalbum
May 17th, 2011, 04:03 AM
I bet Facebook and Apple ("Facetime") would sue for trademark infringement.

MasterNetra
May 17th, 2011, 06:07 AM
So do you have to be on facebook?

No, nothing to do with facebook.

alaukikyo
May 17th, 2011, 07:10 AM
i bet it is flash based.

mikewhatever
May 17th, 2011, 09:45 AM

It does look interesting, but I am pretty sure you need Adobe Flash installed, which makes the aspect of performance questionable. Furthermore, is there any attention to privacy at all, or is all communication in the open?

Johnsie
May 17th, 2011, 09:55 AM
Furthermore, is there any attention to privacy at all, or is all communication in the open?

Got something to hide? ;-)

I'm happy with Microsoft Skype for now, but I'll give this a look.

mikewhatever
May 17th, 2011, 11:04 AM
Got something to hide? ;-)

I'm happy with Microsoft Skype for now, but I'll give this a look.

Actually, yes, I do. O:)
It hasn't been a week yet since the deal was announced, so what can you be happy about? Let's them at least release one update for Linux, then party all you want.

murderslastcrow
May 17th, 2011, 11:19 AM
I'd like to save my preconceptions of Microsoft's intentions when they say they'll keep supporting non-Windows platforms when they have such a good chance to make things up to their users now. I'm paying good money for Skype, so they'd better not take it away.

beew
May 28th, 2011, 11:27 AM
I set up an account and tried it with my friend, the sound and video quality is very good,--on par with Skype. I had some difficulty going full screen, maybe just because I didn't find the correct option (the demo video shows it in full screen but doesn't show how, the obvious "full screen" button doesn't get you full screen)

You can start testing webcam and sound as soon as you set up an account (not having the chance to add any contact yet) using a feature called random chat, that is, provided you don't mind some random dude staring at you in a kind of weird way. :)

Macskeeball
May 28th, 2011, 01:03 PM
You can start testing webcam and sound as soon as you set up an account (not having the chance to add any contact yet) using a feature called random chat, that is, provided you don't mind some random dude staring at you in a kind of weird way. :)
Yikes. That sounds like Chat Roulette.

ctrlmd
May 28th, 2011, 01:22 PM

no you just assume it
non-windows platform to them means all os's that already have skype

matthewbpt
May 28th, 2011, 08:53 PM
Windows Phone is not non-windows though :V

So I'm guessing Android, which would be ported to a full linux desktop anyway in the end, as well as Mac OSX.
A port to Android does not equal development of Desktop Linux/OSX port ... each are quite different platforms.

chicohuman
May 31st, 2011, 09:43 PM
Hey guys...

I was actually paying over 10$/month for Skype's video conferencing and when I heard about faceflow I tried a video conference (http://www.faceflow.com/video-conference) there and look at the little drawing I created :

http://screencast.com/t/RuHw7Jv8p

So the quality of group video calls is better on faceflow than skype and it's free. It surprised me so I'm very happy with faceflow and had to create the image above. I'll be saving myself 10$/month for something even better =)

Lucradia
May 31st, 2011, 09:58 PM
A port to Android does not equal development of Desktop Linux/OSX port ... each are quite different platforms.

Even though that Android's system information has the linux kernel version?