PDA

View Full Version : Activating Windows xp after 2014

sudoer541
May 16th, 2011, 08:36 PM
Windows xp will be officially discontinued by Microsoft in 2014. So my question is: will I be able to activate a fresh installation of Windows xp in 2014 and after? I still love windows xp, so its good to have it on my old PC.

):P:)

Quadunit404
May 16th, 2011, 09:14 PM
Probably not. By then Microsoft will probably require everyone who uses Windows XP on a physical machine or virtual machine to upgrade to Windows 8 or 7 or whatever.

speedwell68
May 16th, 2011, 09:35 PM
Wait until 2014 and comeback and tell us. I guess it will work just fine. Microsoft discontinued W2K years ago and it will still install.

Dustin2128
May 16th, 2011, 09:39 PM
Wait until 2014 and comeback and tell us. I guess it will work just fine. Microsoft discontinued W2K years ago and it will still install.
But xp requires activation or it'll wipe its self in 30 days. Never done a blank win2k install so I wouldn't know if it did.

wojox
May 16th, 2011, 09:41 PM
If it's officially discontinued it would mean no support, so would you want to run it?

Dracona
May 16th, 2011, 09:47 PM
about 5 months ago i tried to install my oem copy of xp pro, wouldn't activate over the Internet, so i tried to activate by phone, went through the computer BS didn't work, talked to live person next. they told me i couldn't activate my copy because i had abused it. i spoke with the supervisor, she told me same thing. said i had activated it to many times. 74 time since 2002. I asked her where does it say that there is a limit on how many times it can be activated, but long story short, i hate microsoft.

doas777
May 16th, 2011, 10:03 PM
W2k was the last Win OS that didn't require activation. with XP this will be new ground for MS.

they will probably put out an activation patch when they take the servers down. at least I would hope so.

nothingspecial
May 16th, 2011, 10:20 PM
But xp requires activation or it'll wipe its self in 30 days. Never done a blank win2k install so I wouldn't know if it did.

I have an xp disc, but I can't read the key.

I just reinstall it every 30 days in a VM.

Takes about 20 mins while I'm doing something else.

I use it about once a month for my son's ipod touch ](*,)

cgroza
May 16th, 2011, 10:24 PM
I wonder what my school and all the other companies/offices that use XP will do.
They will have to upgrade the hardware too.

FlamingPhantom
May 16th, 2011, 10:42 PM
I wonder what my school and all the other companies/offices that use XP will do.
They will have to upgrade the hardware too.

I'm in the process of trying to explain to my school's IT department (they have laptops with 2k on them, with an xp sticker on them) that Macs are not the answer.

And I would think that if XP is currently installed then the only thing that would happen is you don't get any security updates.

krapp
May 16th, 2011, 10:50 PM
Windows xp will be officially discontinued by Microsoft in 2014. So my question is: will I be able to activate a fresh installation of Windows xp in 2014 and after? I still love windows xp, so its good to have it on my old PC.

):P:)

Seriously? You're going to run an unsupported 13 year old system?

Giant Speck
May 16th, 2011, 10:55 PM
Pfftt... Everyone knows that Ubuntu will be used by 100% of computers by 2014, so trying to install XP will be unthinkable.

cgroza
May 16th, 2011, 10:58 PM
Pfftt... Everyone knows that Ubuntu will be used by 100% of computers by 2014, so trying to install XP will be unthinkable.
The goal was for 200 millions, but why not!:)

djheadley
May 16th, 2011, 11:09 PM
There are very few things I need XP for but I still need it. Also I NEVER go online with XP.

YesWeCan
May 16th, 2011, 11:12 PM
You don't need to activate XP via Microsoft nowadays, do you? ;)

jmore9
May 16th, 2011, 11:19 PM
Miceosoft said last year that they will release a patch to disable the activation feature when they are ready. So i would guess after it is no longer supported in any way they will let the patch out.

murderslastcrow
May 16th, 2011, 11:30 PM
Let's hope all of our toolkits and OSes are optimized enough by 2014 to use them on cheap computers (what's cheap in 2014 will probably be more than enough to run Windows 8, if they optimize it at all). Qt5 is a lot more efficient, and the KDE developers are planning to take full advantage of it and decrease their footprint by a lot without having to reinvent anything. Gnome 3 is surprisingly low on resource use. Hopefully Windows 8 and OS X will target those optimizations as well, and XP users won't have much aside from price and compatibility to worry about.

Also, there are plenty of programs that will provide XP a false activation without any need for an internet activation. Although its legality is questionable, if you own an XP license it shouldn't be much of an issue. I think people are lucky Microsoft has even taken it this far. And, well, who knows how much further Wine will have gotten by then? I'm sure there will be plenty of feasible paths to take away from XP in three years.

gsmanners
May 16th, 2011, 11:58 PM
Maybe by then, you'll be able to replace it with ReactOS (http://www.reactos.com/en/index.html). Then again, they might just be up to version 0.4 by then.

VTPoet
May 17th, 2011, 12:12 AM
about 5 months ago i tried to install my oem copy of xp pro, wouldn't activate over the Internet, so i tried to activate by phone, went through the computer BS didn't work, talked to live person next. they told me i couldn't activate my copy because i had abused it. i spoke with the supervisor, she told me same thing. said i had activated it to many times. 74 time since 2002. I asked her where does it say that there is a limit on how many times it can be activated, but long story short, i hate microsoft.

Wow. Really? I would read the XP Eula with a fine tooth comb. If I didn't see an out, I would sue them for the price of the OS in small claims court just for the fun of it. Seriously. Sue MS! What a lark! They either wouldn't bother to show up - in which case you win. Or they would send a lawyer and spend more money than all 74 licenses would have been worth. Even if you lose, you win. :D

murderslastcrow
May 17th, 2011, 12:28 AM
If you read the EULA you can see that there are restrictions on what you do with them in court, as well, and how much they're liable to pay you back for and for which cases they can pay you back. So if the court is willing to say those terms of the agreement aren't to be taken seriously, you might have a chance. Otherwise, you're just silly for not reading what you're agreeing to.

bsharp
May 17th, 2011, 12:34 AM
Or they would send a lawyer and spend more money than all 74 licenses would have been worth. Even if you lose, you win. :D

Unless they counter-sue for legal costs. ;)

PhilGil
May 17th, 2011, 12:40 AM
Wow. Really? I would read the XP Eula with a fine tooth comb. If I didn't see an out, I would sue them for the price of the OS in small claims court just for the fun of it. Seriously. Sue MS! What a lark! They either wouldn't bother to show up - in which case you win. Or they would send a lawyer and spend more money than all 74 licenses would have been worth. Even if you lose, you win. :D

It's an OEM license. I suspect Dracona would have a tough time convincing a court that he's installed Win XP on the same machine 74 times in the past nine years.

As for who would run an unsupported operating system...
I have a Win 2k virtual machine that I use frequently to scan to PDF from an old Canon ImageRunner all-in-one. The scanner does not work with SANE. VBox + Win2k + Acrobat 6 is a cheap, lightweight solution. I would never connect to the internet with 2k, of course, as there are no up to date security patches.

MasterNetra
May 17th, 2011, 12:45 AM

Well if MS won't let you use what you legitimately purchased, then there is always "The Bay" as a last resort. All I'm going to say on that. *whistles off* :-\"

Side note there is a non-microsoft archiving of XP Patches..I forget the site though. So restoring up to the cut off point is possible. Just won't be any further work on it by MS.

murderslastcrow
May 17th, 2011, 01:23 AM
I think most people in post-modern countries won't really be sacrificing a ton to replace any Microsoft-centric hardware with things that will run fine on Linux. I mean, if your job doesn't require extremely specific needs on Windows, it's much easier as a consumer to invest in things that work well with Linux than it is to try and force old stuff you used with Windows to work with Linux.

That's the main issue people actually have with Linux- since they can bring so much stuff along with them, due to its flexibility, they kind of put off buying hardware with Linux preinstalled, or things made for Linux users if they already have something. That's totally fine if it works for you, but I've been using Linux long enough and care about it enough to just throw a hundred dollars or so at stuff that works rather than complaining about it.

Of course, there's no reason you can't dual boot or run a VM out of convenience if it's suitable to the task. It'd just be silly to expect everything to always work all the time when it's not made specifically for the OS you use, even if it actually does 90 percent of the time. Official support is always better than, "well, it seems to work," support. So if it won't cost you your job, and you want to go all-Linux, might want to try to replace the things you use Windows XP for. That's all I'm sayin'.

VTPoet
May 17th, 2011, 01:29 AM
Unless they counter-sue for legal costs. ;)

Can't be done in Vermont small claims. MS also couldn't appeal unless they could prove the judge was drunk.

If you read the EULA you can see that there are restrictions on what you do with them in court, as well, and how much they're liable to pay you back for and for which cases they can pay you back. So if the court is willing to say those terms of the agreement aren't to be taken seriously, you might have a chance.

So what? Let Microsoft defend themselves. It will cost them more to defend the EULA than those 73 licenses were worth. If they don't send a lawyer, they can't appeal. Game over.

mdshann
May 17th, 2011, 01:32 AM
Miceosoft said last year that they will release a patch to disable the activation feature when they are ready. So i would guess after it is no longer supported in any way they will let the patch out.

Someone will look at the patch with a hex editor and find RaZoR1911 plastered all over the code. :lolflag:

Quadunit404
May 17th, 2011, 01:56 AM

And on that day, the FSF will finally shut up about Windows XP and its (oh noes!) product activation.

tgm4883
May 17th, 2011, 02:06 AM
It's an OEM license. I suspect Dracona would have a tough time convincing a court that he's installed Win XP on the same machine 74 times in the past nine years.

It's XP. It gets virus infections during installation
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=8531032&l=5e4d9d3cc3&id=558547993

el_koraco
May 17th, 2011, 08:31 AM

Nothing so drastic, it's probably just a case of a hyped up supervisor. He should send a letter of complaint to Microsoft, in which case i suspect he'd get an apology and get on with it.

doas777
May 17th, 2011, 03:40 PM
XP OEM has some weird rules. Reactivating the same OS when the hardware has not changed (the hardware hash string is the same as last activation) does not cost you an activation, but you only get 3 activations where the hardware has changed from the registered string. the string changes based on a point system, such that you can add ram without automatically triggering a reactivation, but changing a nic or a motherboar/cpu is an instant reactivation.

http://www.technibble.com/windows-xp-activation-explained/

Note: the link also shows you how to back up your activation state so that you can restore it to a rebuilt OS on the same hardware.

PhilGil
May 17th, 2011, 04:10 PM
It's XP. It gets virus infections during installation
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=8531032&l=5e4d9d3cc3&id=558547993
^^LOL

XP OEM has some weird rules. Reactivating the same OS when the hardware has not changed (the hardware hash string is the same as last activation) does not cost you an activation, but you only get 3 activations where the hardware has changed from the registered string. the string changes based on a point system, such that you can add ram without automatically triggering a reactivation, but changing a nic or a motherboar/cpu is an instant reactivation.

http://www.technibble.com/windows-xp-activation-explained/

Note: the link also shows you how to back up your activation state so that you can restore it to a rebuilt OS on the same hardware.
One of the reasons I prefer Linux/FOSS: no absurd and incomprehensible EULA's and activation schemes.

kaldor
May 17th, 2011, 04:25 PM
Why anybody would even want to install XP anymore, I have no idea. What's wrong with Windows 7, Linux, or OS X?

doas777
May 17th, 2011, 05:03 PM
Why anybody would even want to install XP anymore, I have no idea. What's wrong with Windows 7, Linux, or OS X?
presumably because you want somthing in addition to linux, but dont own a MAC or a copy of win7.

silex89
May 17th, 2011, 07:40 PM
Windows needs an ATI or NVidia with 256 MB of RAM to move the mouse lol, I'm just kiddin'.

I like XP because runs really good with VirtualBox in Ubuntu, I tried to emulate Win7 and Vista and I had some issues with installation, the Guest Additions of VB can't install all of the devices on those OSs.... So I'd love to be able to activate Win XP beyond 2014, is really useful for me

Regards guys :D

tgm4883
May 17th, 2011, 07:48 PM
Windows needs an ATI or NVidia with 256 MB of RAM to move the mouse lol, I'm just kiddin'.

I like XP because runs really good with VirtualBox in Ubuntu, I tried to emulate Win7 and Vista and I had some issues with installation, the Guest Additions of VB can't install all of the devices on those OSs.... So I'd love to be able to activate Win XP beyond 2014, is really useful for me

Regards guys :D

If you are installing it VirtualBox, why not just make a snapshot of the Virtual Machine after activating. Then you won't have to activate nor install XP again.

jonathonblake
May 23rd, 2011, 01:11 AM

I have some hardware that won't work with a more recent version of Windows.
The Linux drivers don't provide all of the functionality that the Windows driver provides.

A very long time ago I was given some software to test. The software will install on a Win98 box, but not Win2K, or anything more recent. The last time I tried, it could be installed on WINE, but would not run.

Back in 2003, I ran across a firm that was using DOS 5.0, because that was the most recent OS that some fairly important business software could run on. It wasn't cost effective to have somebody write a new program for a more recent OS.

jonathon

gingertom5005
August 31st, 2011, 04:57 AM
There are patches to activate XP upto SP2 already available. One possible safe use of XP is to dual boot using XP for off line projects and Linux for on line.

coffeecat
November 3rd, 2011, 09:49 PM
This thread is not particularly old, but was beginning to drift off-topic and I've had to remove one post that implied activity not supported on this forum.

Thread closed.