PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Total beginner having desktop issues

Moose is Loose
May 16th, 2011, 03:01 AM
Yayyy! I've managed to start a new thread on a linux forum about Ubuntu! >pat's self on back<... ok so here's my issue. I'm new to Linux ... like REALLY new. I'm 30 and no techy. I get around on Windows just fine, took a computer class in HS. Had Linux installed for a reason that proved useless, went back to windows and never looked back. Yesterday my win7 caught a virus on some silly site and I have to have it professionally cleaned. However, I still needed the inet and so said 'oh yeah', and dusted off my linux program. Now, I'm trying to get a feel for this, but when I look on forums, all I hear is 'open CCSM' (took me a while to find out what that meant), type in the 'terminal'... hu? And where's this place I can go to download things on Ubuntu, like programs, music players and such things... or hear people say, 'here's a line of code for you...' emm... yeah. That's like giving a chefs knife to the french fry girl at McDonalds.
So all I want to do is get my desktop set up to do this great (and popular) cube, with 3D windows... only thing is, after about 3 hours of looking at various tutorial youtube vids, I found lots of options were missing from my CCSM, like this 'reflection and deformation' option, or '3D windows'. Nothing at all, I did everything... went into each and every option, double clicked it, searched my whole computer even. My CCSM looks really skinny compared to all the options these tutorial ppl have... namely, here's a link to the one I watched.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGY9cwSjZsU&feature=player_embedded#at=29 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGY9cwSjZsU&feature=player_embedded#at=29)
I want to be able to do THIS to my desktop. I know there's probably more important stuff out there, but please be merciful. Just help me have a neat desktop so I can do some general web browsing. :) THANKS!!!

Larkspur
May 16th, 2011, 03:24 AM
It sounds like you don't have the full-fat Compiz settings; search for "Advanced Desktop Settings" in the Software Centre and see if you need to download it. That will have all the options you need. My advice? It's not worth it. A lot of people LOVE the cube, but it's only really any use if you use all the desktops, and even then not much. Still, as a demo for what Open Source can do, it's pretty nifty.