PDA

View Full Version : Any good sources for PHP?

Itachi
May 14th, 2006, 05:44 AM
I've been looking to learn basic/intermediate/advanced PHP. Most times I've asked, I've been pointed out to PHP.net which really doesn't help, because I know all of the basic stuff. If anyone has any recommendations on where to learn it thoroughly, please share them! :D Thanks in advance.

celloandy
May 14th, 2006, 07:11 AM
Well, if you've already got the syntax and everything of the language down, then all there is, really, is to get to know more of the functions available in the language, and as PHP.net contains a function reference, you could conceivably use it to familiarize yourself with the rest of the language. It's certainly not just for the basics, as they have documentation there that describes the language in its entirety.

If you'd prefer to learn the language in a more structured way, though, as I did, when I was learning PHP, I'd probably consider investing in a book. Frankly, the Internet is good for references, but there's something worthwhile about sitting down with a well-written book on the subject that the web can't always emulate. I read SAMS' "PHP and MySQL Web Development" cover to cover, and it's pretty good, if a bit elementary in parts. There's also an O'Reilly book that covers the same subject matter with a similar title ("Web Development with PHP and MySQL" or something like that) that's supposed to be pretty good, too, or, if you want the quintessential resource, there's always O'Reilly's "Programming PHP." Sorry if this isn't too helpful, but if you've mastered the basics, this is probably the best way to move on to advanced material.

Andrew

mostwanted
May 14th, 2006, 10:58 AM
http://www.hudzilla.org/phpbook/