PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can anyone get desktop effects working?

Phaze08
May 14th, 2011, 06:06 AM
I have an Nvidia GeForce 8400M GS video card, which, as I understand, Nvidia has the best support on Ubuntu, but as hard as I try manually installing packages with Synaptic, using the software center, terminal, internet, nothing seems to work in getting my driver to work. The most I response I get is 'this driver is activated but not in use.' from my additional drivers program, which I have both applets from the software center. Would it help to enable restricted repositories? As much as I've tried to find out how, I cant seem to find it. I read somewhere that that helped someone and its probably the only thing that I havent tried unless anyone has any other ideas.

Dale61
May 14th, 2011, 09:26 AM
Don't bother trying to get it all working again. I'm in a similar scenario. I don't use the default Unity desktop and would much prefer my old set-up from 10.10, but try as I might, and after reading post after post here, I've determined that my old compiz set-up is long gone.

dazndom
May 15th, 2011, 07:39 AM
heh guys try this, at log in screen your name comes up and you tap screen and you then put your password in..........

before you hit enter go down to bottom of screen and you have 3 buttons, the middle on is "desktops" click it and choose ubuntu classic, and you then finish login.

Now you are in traditional gnome desktop, not the new UNITY desktop. you should be able to activate your hardware driver now and be able to play with compiz

but really you should go and check Oz Unity and Ultimate Edition. these 2 OS are Ubuntu on steroids with all the bells and whistles already installed. very good visually (graphic artwork) and very good forum and support ...go here - ultimateeditionoz.com and you will find both of them...
you will love it , ubuntu with everything installed and it works "out of the box"