PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 11.04 used to freeze, now it doesn't boot

Ted Zagurski
May 14th, 2011, 12:53 AM
Ok. 11.04 was randomly freezing when running many different apps, or idle., and I found a thread that suggested to upgrade to kernel .39 (the full name is on Ubuntu, which I can't use without it freezing). I downloaded and installed this .39 kernel. During reboot I got an error of firmware missing - lib/firmware rtl_nic/rtl8105 er1.fw

also it said Fglrx failed.

I can still boot into kernel .38, which still freezes up.

any suggestions before I do a 10.10 reinstall and try to save e-mail etc.., which I really don't want to do.

10.10 was quite a bit better than XP or 7, but 11.04 is closer to Vista -- understanding that this is only my point of view.

help??

dabl
May 14th, 2011, 01:00 AM
Did you have problems running it as a Live CD? A Live CD is a very useful tool for testing Linux on a particular hardware platform.

Also, have you tried using the open source radeon driver, rather than fglrx?

When you say "freeze", is it just the video system or is the computer hard locked?

Ted Zagurski
May 14th, 2011, 02:16 AM
DABL - thnks for assist

I will try Live CD also how do I get to open source radon driver. I am using an on motherboard ATI radeon HD 4200 video.

Ted Zagurski
May 14th, 2011, 02:21 AM
DABL -the whole system freezes, no HD light, no response from keys or key combinations. also, I see the Fglrx propriatary driver, can I just remove it and ?hope? the system will revert to a generic radeon drivere?

thnks

dabl
May 14th, 2011, 04:10 AM
Yep, I think you need to remove fglrx. Search this forum for the procedure (I am an Nvidia user). I think you would have a better result using xserver-xorg-video-radeon for the driver.

Ted Zagurski
May 14th, 2011, 05:30 AM
DABL - your suggestion to remove fglrx hit the problem on the nose. I found the commands @

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Troubleshooting/FglrxInteferesWithRadeonDriver#Problem:%20%20Need% 20to%20fully%20remove%20-fglrx%20and%20reinstall%20-ati%20from%20scratch

no more system freeze!

THANKS! :P