PDA

View Full Version : Introducing Rezlooks

Gnobody
May 14th, 2006, 01:31 AM
Rezlooks is a gtk theme engine based on the cairo-enabled CVS clearlooks engine code. It looks prettier and is a lot faster than Clearlooks CVS too!

You can learn more @ http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php?content=39179

I have made an Ubuntu 6.06 .deb and an archive full of themes, they are both in the attachments to this thread -->

***Fixed package***

IYY
May 14th, 2006, 01:58 AM
Cool!

Rotarychainsaw
May 14th, 2006, 05:18 AM
This is pretty cool. Been a while since I used an animated clearlooks. Is there anyway to get the ubuntulooks scrollbar and rezlooks everything else? that would be ideal I think.

Gnobody
May 14th, 2006, 03:11 PM
Not without motifiying the Clearlooks source style.c, and essentially creating a new theme engine.

bvc
May 14th, 2006, 09:58 PM
Sure you can. Put this

style "theme-scrollbar"
{
engine "ubuntulooks" {
}
}
class "GtkScrollbar" style "theme-scrollbar"

just before

# widget styles
class "GtkWidget" style "theme-default"
class "GtkButton" style "theme-button"
class "GtkCombo" style "theme-button"
class "GtkRange" style "theme-wide"
class "GtkFrame" style "theme-wide"
class "GtkMenu" style "theme-menu"
class "GtkEntry" style "theme-button"
class "GtkMenuItem" style "theme-menu-item"
class "GtkStatusbar" style "theme-wide"
class "GtkNotebook" style "theme-notebook"
class "GtkProgressBar" style "theme-progressbar"
class "GtkCheckButton" style "theme-check"
class "GtkRadioButton" style "theme-check"

I don't get this engine to be honest. Why not use the smooth engine which is so much faster? Unless you actually like a mix of gradient and solid widgets for some reason. The original square hack of clearlooks was great and would have went much further than this. He got code edit happy and killed it :(

Rotarychainsaw
May 14th, 2006, 10:38 PM
Hey BVC thanks, that worked. Looks pretty OK lol. Where should I be looking to get new engines? Gnome-look doesnt seem to include the engines... Or maybe I'm not looking right.

bvc
May 14th, 2006, 10:55 PM
Hey BVC thanks, that worked. Looks pretty OK lol. Where should I be looking to get new engines? Gnome-look doesnt seem to include the engines... Or maybe I'm not looking right.Creation of new engine are rare. a.g.o. (http://art.gnome.org/themes/gtk_engines/) post some but as you can see, you have them all except maybe eXperience which I think used to be in the apt repos but... Someone needs to create a real pixmap engine but gtk has so many limitaions no one wants to write an engine for 2 years, and I don't blame them.

Rotarychainsaw
May 14th, 2006, 11:36 PM
Ohh, I thought there were a lot more out there. Basically I just want the animated clearlooks, with the ubuntulooks scrollbar, and maybe some other little things. Is it possible to create a theme using bits and pieces from all different engines like you just showed me a few posts up?

Also, isn't there a super animated clearlooks out there? Like tabs are animated and stuff like that?

bvc
May 15th, 2006, 12:23 AM
Ohh, I thought there were a lot more out there. Basically I just want the animated clearlooks, with the ubuntulooks scrollbar, and maybe some other little things. Is it possible to create a theme using bits and pieces from all different engines like you just showed me a few posts up?

Also, isn't there a super animated clearlooks out there? Like tabs are animated and stuff like that?
Many are installed by default. Others can be found in the repos (search gtk2-engines). Most are just variants of something else. Smooth
http://gnome.org/~thos/Smooth-Docs/
was the first original engine and is very flexible, then came Clearlooks. Everytthing else is pretty boring.

Yes, you could use a diff engine for every widget if you want to.

I know nothing about a super animated clearlooks.

ComplexNumber
May 15th, 2006, 02:49 AM
most engines are usually included.
according to my install list, all(AFAIK) the engines are:
rezlooks
bluecurve(wonderland)
anachron
experience
crux
dwerg
lighthouse blue
clearlooks
cleanice
industrial
smooth
xfce
ubuntulooks

Gnobody
May 15th, 2006, 07:01 PM
I updated the package to ver. 0.3.1

brainkilla
May 17th, 2006, 05:22 PM
I've just seen 0.4... could you provide an update? Thank you.

Gnobody
May 17th, 2006, 07:04 PM
It's in the first post now.

rezza
May 22nd, 2006, 02:10 AM
I don't get this engine to be honest. Why not use the smooth engine which is so much faster? Unless you actually like a mix of gradient and solid widgets for some reason. The original square hack of clearlooks was great and would have went much further than this. He got code edit happy and killed it :(

I didn't write this for you to "get". I wrote this because it is what I wanted. Why not use the smooth engine? Because it doesn't do what I want it to do. Also bear in mind that this is an ongoing project... I'm gradually making more and more elements fit with the idea I have in my head. People expressed an interest in the engine from my screenshots so I released it while I was still working on it.

You are of course welcome to take my original hack of clearlooks and run with it - hell, package it up and call it bvclooks if you like, doesn't bother me :P

bvc
May 22nd, 2006, 05:06 AM
little late......
look at the date........05-14-2006

When I wrote that it was much different than now and was very much like a cairo smooth engine. As I have said at gnome-look I very much like the changes and where it's going, so what is the purpose of your post? Doesn't make any sense and is not in sync, with the follow up post. If you have a bone to pick you'll have to look elsewhere.
At first, I was dissapointed that this was not like your square hack of clearlooks. Which I'd still like to see as it's own engine named Rezlooks, so people can easily change between them. But now, I like where this is going and what you have done with the buttons. Do you plan to unify the other widgets (scrollbars etc..) to match? Then separate it with its own name, since it's not much related anymore?

Good work!
Thank you!

rezza
May 22nd, 2006, 06:53 PM
little late......
look at the date........05-14-2006

When I wrote that it was much different than now and was very much like a cairo smooth engine. As I have said at gnome-look I very much like the changes and where it's going, so what is the purpose of your post? Doesn't make any sense and is not in sync, with the follow up post. If you have a bone to pick you'll have to look elsewhere.

Hmm, no bones to pick, I was answering those questions because I didn't want to leave them unanswered here. I know you have since commented on gnome-look ;)

bored2k
May 22nd, 2006, 07:10 PM
Cute. Definitely trying it out on the next linux box I get my hands on.

And which music player is that (on the glook screenshot)? Reminds me of muine, but it didn't look that way when i used it.

rezza
May 22nd, 2006, 11:03 PM
Cute. Definitely trying it out on the next linux box I get my hands on.

And which music player is that (on the glook screenshot)? Reminds me of muine, but it didn't look that way when i used it.

That's gmpc from svn (https://svn.musicpd.org/gmpc/trunk).

pain of salvation
June 15th, 2006, 03:39 AM
0.5 is out! http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php?content=39179&PHPSESSID=20b2e43f61c6e083d71e376200557797

Can someone make a .deb with this one?

pain of salvation
June 15th, 2006, 05:50 PM
I tried:

./configure
make
sudo make install

But I can't get the theme working..

Then I tried:

./configure --prefix=/usr
make
sudo make install

But I still only get the old default gtk engine..

May someone help me installing this theme?

ComplexNumber
June 15th, 2006, 07:19 PM
when you tried it with ./configure (without the --prefix=/usr), did you uninstall it afterwards? if not, please do so.

this is the correct way:

make
sudo make install it has to go into /usr rather than /usr/local, otherwise it won't work.

pain of salvation
June 15th, 2006, 10:40 PM
When I do 'make',I get this error in the end:

make: ** [librezlooks.la] Erro 1

bvc
June 16th, 2006, 12:21 AM
use at your own risk
http://kwh.kernow-gb.com/~bvc/theme/not_mine/rezlooks-0.5.tar.gz
animation enabled

jozmak
June 16th, 2006, 03:01 AM
The theme is good but i have one serious problem with it, the color scheme. The warm yellowish beige and the blue slider just don't go together. For those either chose a warm or a neutral color.

J. Mak
http://jozmak.googlepages.com/

bvc
June 16th, 2006, 06:24 AM
I like the candy color scheme
http://kwh.kernow-gb.com/~bvc/wp/?p=31
...made a metacity for rezlooks

raptxt
June 16th, 2006, 12:19 PM
i just downloaded and installed the .deb package attached to this thread and it says it is now installed succesfull, but nothing happens.
how can i activate rezlooks on my ubuntu dapper?
thank you!

bvc
June 17th, 2006, 08:50 PM
I have made 5 nm156 metacity versions now.
http://kwh.kernow-gb.com/~bvc/wp/?p=31
-light/dark
-gtkrc base and metacity>bg[SELECTED]
-thin/wide(dark)

little something for everyone

L2wis
June 21st, 2006, 01:04 AM
i just downloaded and installed the .deb package attached to this thread and it says it is now installed succesfull, but nothing happens.
how can i activate rezlooks on my ubuntu dapper?
thank you!

I've also just downloaded and installed and not noticed any changes. Could anyone point me in the right direction?

bvc
June 21st, 2006, 05:49 AM
use at your own risk
http://kwh.kernow-gb.com/~bvc/theme/not_mine/gtk2-engines-rezlooks-0.6.tar.gz
*animation enabled

IbeeX
June 25th, 2006, 11:30 AM
I made

make
sudo make install

and still i con't find theme istalled?

I have 6.06 amd64 version ?

Nonno Bassotto
June 25th, 2006, 02:49 PM
Sorry if I'm a bit off-topic, but what actually IS an engine?

bvc
June 25th, 2006, 04:46 PM
I made

make
sudo make install

and still i con't find theme istalled?

I have 6.06 amd64 version ?
well without the posting of errors there not much we can say. Did this not work?

use at your own risk
http://kwh.kernow-gb.com/~bvc/theme/not_mine/gtk2-engines-rezlooks-0.6.tar.gz
*animation enabled

bvc
June 27th, 2006, 04:02 PM
nm156 (http://gnomethemes.org/?p=31) has been updated (http://gnomethemes.org/forum/index.php?topic=46.0)

samoht
June 28th, 2006, 11:02 AM
This theme is great! Thanks!

ostkaka
July 31st, 2006, 10:40 AM
The download link is broken, can someone fix it? I realy like this theme :)

saracen
August 7th, 2006, 12:56 AM
Ok ladies and gents, i've created a deb for rezlooks 0.6. It's gzipped so use the archive manager or gunzip from the command line to extract the deb from inside.

I've also attached a couple of themes based on the rezlooks engine. First install the .deb and then install the themes as you normally do (e.g. using System->Preferences->Themes).

phlexy
September 4th, 2006, 10:25 AM
Uh oh, help!

I'm pretty new to this stuff hehe.

I tried sudo dpkg -i rezlooks-0.6_0.6-1_i386.deb but terminal returns:
(Reading database ... 82819 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking rezlooks-0.6 (from rezlooks-0.6_0.6-1_i386.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing rezlooks-0.6_0.6-1_i386.deb (--install):
trying to overwrite `/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.4.0/engines/librezlooks.la', which is also in package rezlooks-0.4

I tried installing rezlooks-0.4_0.4-1_i386, and I presume all I have to do is remove all the files I installed through that (that right?)

Help appreciated.

Genix
October 15th, 2006, 07:23 PM
Anyone have a .deb for amd64?

ChaKy
October 16th, 2006, 04:43 PM
Uh oh, help!

I'm pretty new to this stuff hehe.

I tried sudo dpkg -i rezlooks-0.6_0.6-1_i386.deb but terminal returns:
(Reading database ... 82819 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking rezlooks-0.6 (from rezlooks-0.6_0.6-1_i386.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing rezlooks-0.6_0.6-1_i386.deb (--install):
trying to overwrite `/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.4.0/engines/librezlooks.la', which is also in package rezlooks-0.4

I tried installing rezlooks-0.4_0.4-1_i386, and I presume all I have to do is remove all the files I installed through that (that right?)

Help appreciated.

Yes, just first uninstall rezlooks-0.4 and after that install rezlooks 0.6. It seems that the first package rezlooks-0.4 was build with checkinstall and somebody named the package "rezlooks-0.4" and not "rezlooks" as it should be. So now, you are trying to install rezlooks 0.6 which is in conflict with another rezlooks package named "rezlooks-0.4".

mooey
October 20th, 2006, 06:08 PM
deb attached for 0.6 on edgy. the deb is inside the archive, as I can't attach debs directly :-k

cb951303
November 8th, 2006, 11:05 PM
I installed rezlooks-0.6 and rezlooks-graphite
it works perfectly. But with root applications like synaptic there is no theme. It's just plain gtk without a theme nor engine.

Anyone knows a workaround?

PS: Other engines work great with root apps too...

d_fens
November 17th, 2006, 03:57 PM
sudo ln -s /home/username/.themes /root/.themes
sudo ln -s /home/username/.icons /root/.icons
sudo ln -s /home/username/.fonts /root/.fonts

Zyphrexi
January 4th, 2007, 10:46 AM
yeah all local stuffs you install w/o root privileges get installed into home and aren't read during sudo/gksudo app execution.

sha_man
February 2nd, 2007, 04:55 PM
can anyone please post a good .deb for amd64 (edgy). thanks :D

dbbolton
August 13th, 2007, 10:16 AM
it seems that the edgy deb works on feisty, but has anyone made a feisty deb?