PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Wireless card not workinf in PCIeMini slot.

Pone77
May 13th, 2011, 10:03 PM
Hi everyone!
Ive been in love with ubuntu since Lucid, and I'm using Natty on a Packard Bell Dot S2 netbook at the moment, but I've got an odd problem:

I've changed my wireless card from a half height card to a full height card, which means I have to use the other PCIe Mini slot, as there isn't room.

When I start Natty with the new card, although iwconfig and lshw show it as present and the drivers are ok, it doesn't work, and says "device not ready" in the network manager. HOWEVER, if i put it into the half-height slot, and hold it in place with my finger (!) it works great! Strange!

I'm aware that this may not be an Ubuntu issue, but can anyone shed any light as to why the card works in one slot, but not the other? And is it possible to make it work in the other slot, otherwise I've have to get out the saw to make it fit....!

Huge thanks to all on the forums, as you've already solved so many of my Ubuntu teething problems!

-Tony

Pone77
May 14th, 2011, 12:08 PM
I've been doing a little more digging, but still no success. Maybe I need ot move this to the networking forum? I ran lshw and the output was:

*-network
description: Ethernet interface
product: AR8132 Fast Ethernet
vendor: Atheros Communications
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
logical name: eth0
version: c0
serial: [REMOVED]
capacity: 100Mbit/s
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress vpd bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd autonegotiation
configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=atl1c driverversion=1.0.1.0-NAPI firmware=N/A latency=0 link=no multicast=yes port=twisted pair
resources: irq:45 memory:57000000-5703ffff ioport:5000(size=128)
*-network DISABLED
description: Wireless interface
product: PRO/Wireless 3945ABG [Golan] Network Connection
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:03:00.0
logical name: wlan4
version: 02
serial: [REMOVED]
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=iwl3945 driverversion=2.6.38-8-generic firmware=15.32.2.9 latency=0 link=no multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11abg
resources: irq:46 memory:55000000-55000fff

Its the intel wireless on wlan4 that's giving me trouble. Its almost as if if just turned off? i've tried basic things like fn+f2. Maybe its a irq problem? I appreciate any help,

Thanks again, Tony

Pone77
May 14th, 2011, 10:09 PM
I added

acpi=offto the start up via grub, and the wifi card will work, but obviously I loose all acpi functions (audio, battery etc), so its not really a practical solution.

Does this narrow it down at all?

-Tony

PhantmKllr
May 14th, 2011, 10:21 PM
I know it may be a long-shot, but you should try updating your BIOS to the latest version (provided by your computer manufacturer).

Pone77
May 15th, 2011, 10:43 AM
Hi, thanks for the idea, but I checked and I already have the latest version. For what its worth, I cant seem to get it to work when I boot Windows 7 either, which presumably has its own acpi settings.

I also tried the original card in the problematic slot, and the problem is the same, so I'm ruling out any driver issue, or card specific issues.

-Tony

PhantmKllr
May 15th, 2011, 08:35 PM
Perhaps the slot was disabled by the manufacturer. They probably didn't expect anyone to use it.

Pone77
May 16th, 2011, 11:34 AM
Well theres the odd thing, with ACPI=off, the slot DOES work, but I don't want to lose all the ACPI stuff (sound control, power save etc etc).

For the time being, I've just snipped of the plastic tabs that were in the way of the other slot, and jammed the card in there! A 'hardware' solution to a software problem!

-Tony

PhantmKllr
May 17th, 2011, 08:27 PM
=D>

Whatever works for you. :D