PDA

View Full Version : A lightening bug report

Harry33
May 13th, 2011, 08:45 PM
Have you seen this bug report (782365):

Binary package hint: unity

11.04 and Unity I think are ******* awesome. SIMPLE, SLICK and just K.I.S.S. (Keep it simple stupid) Plus you may not be able to customize it much but that is the point. UNITY…

But, the proposal to remove the option to run UBUNTU CLASSIC is a TERRIBLE mistake.

Why?

Because on my ****** Dell celeron machine I can not run Unity! I do not have the graphics card for it. And to think Ubuntu will not support 5 year old computers is a FALLACY.

So I personally will be advocating for the KEEPING of the optional gnome option, because Linux runs great on slow machines too.

macroshaft
May 13th, 2011, 09:00 PM
Two words...Unity 2D

VinDSL
May 14th, 2011, 10:28 AM
Bwahahahaha!

Bug Reports for Human Beings... :D

kansasnoob
May 14th, 2011, 01:43 PM
I see that quickly earned an "invalid" status.

What one must understand is that Natty uses gnome version 2.32, but Oneiric will use gnome version 3.* which implements the "classic" gnome-panel desktop in quite a different manner.

That said I have a gnome3 desktop running fairly well on Natty with the use of the gnome3 PPA (via UGR) using the forced fall-back DE and the only actual DE draw-backs ATM are the lack of functionality related to two panel applets that I normally use (specifically inhibit-applet and gnome-sensors-applet).

All of this fretting is a total waste of time and effort, over the next few months I expect gnome3 development to move forward quite quickly based on recent experience. We just need to be a bit patient and see how things shake out :D

I see Unity as just one more option, not my #1 preference, but if one DE fit everyones needs there wouldn't already be so many options.

Starks
May 14th, 2011, 07:52 PM
i expect many shallow people will not give oneiric unity a chance