PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] xps (l502x) Enabling visual effects with Intel 2410M

glomerulus
May 13th, 2011, 02:35 PM
Hello everyone,

I just installed Ubuntu Lucid 64-bit on a Dell xps 15 with a Intel core i5-2410M (sandy bridge) processor and NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M (2 gig) gpu.

The gpu is Optimus technology enabled, and I understand that there is no optimus support for linux right now.
Hence I cannot use the NVIDIA card for display, which is fine, since I am trying to use only the intel on-chip graphics.

From a fresh install, i was not even able to change the resolution to anything other than 1024x768.
That changed after i upgraded the linux-image and linux-headers, though.

But i still cannot enable the desktop visual effects. Do i need to install drivers for the intel on-chip graphics?

Following the recommendations from this thread : http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1739732 , i added the xorg-edgers PPA to my software sources, and did an upgrade all.
This just messed up, and i got a blank display after reboot. I had to do a fresh lucid install to fix this.

Can anyone please direct me to the correct way/drivers to install to enable desktop effects?
When i try to enable, it looks for drivers for a bit before saying "Desktop effects could not be enabled"

Thanks.

glomerulus
May 14th, 2011, 12:42 AM
No one?

Do you think the core i5 on-chip graphics unit is incapable of handling Desktop effects?
I personally feel it is a driver issue.
Any leads in the right direction will be much appreciated !