PDA

View Full Version : Could Ubuntu abandon Gnome completely in the future?

andrei_1
May 12th, 2011, 10:46 PM
Just curious, could Ubuntu possibly abandon GNOME completely in the future? Unity is a Compiz plugin, and Compiz could run on its own. I'm wondering just how tied is the Ubuntu experience to GNOME, and whether it is strong enough that it would guarantee GNOME will remain in the distribution for a long time.

lilifiz
May 12th, 2011, 11:49 PM
in my opinion, Gnome should not be removed, and unity should be a standalone desktop environment like Gnome and KDE instead of just a compiz plugin, it sounds good considering standalone unity as ubuntu default desktop env. beside having Gnome as a classic ubuntu. it's just my opinion!

dh04000
May 13th, 2011, 12:47 AM
Just curious, could Ubuntu possibly abandon Gnome completely in the future? Unity is a Compiz plugin, and Compiz could run on its own. I'm wondering just how tied is the Ubuntu experience to Gnome, and whether it is strong enough that it would guarantee Gnome will remain in the distribution for a long time.

Uhhhhhh.... Gnome isn't just an GUI, its an entire library and ABI system. Without Gnome ubuntu can't even start up. They can't just remove it. They would need to replace it with KDE, Enlightenment, or some other desktop system, even with compiz.

screaminj3sus
May 13th, 2011, 12:54 AM
Considering Unity is still heavily based on gnome I can't see this happening in the foreseeable future. Unity is simply a shell on top of gnome implemented as a compiz plugin.

I have a betting In Oneric since it will be based on gnome 3 libraries we will just have to install a few packages to get gnome shell running.

3Miro
May 13th, 2011, 03:08 AM
Don't get fooled by the FUD. Unity is just Gnome with a different interface. There are no plans to change that and in fact it will be extremely difficult to do.

People loot at the system only form the top level and see something different not realizing that under the tip of the iceberg everything is exactly the same.

Khakilang
May 13th, 2011, 03:56 AM
I don't see that will happen at all.

wojox
May 13th, 2011, 04:13 AM
Not in my lifetime. Gnome3 is made of easy. Plus Unity runs on the Gnome3 stack.

krapp
May 13th, 2011, 04:13 AM
Can Unity can be deployed without GNOME & GTK?

I don't see why it would be a bad idea. Perhaps a waste of money and time, as GNOME provides a solid foundation.

Macskeeball
May 13th, 2011, 04:30 AM
Not in my lifetime. Gnome3 is made of easy. Plus Unity runs on the Gnome3 stack.

You sure? I was under the impression that the version in Natty Narwhal runs on top of Gnome2. Also, I think I heard something on the Linux Action Show about Unity being ported to Qt in the future, but I may be mistaken.

wojox
May 13th, 2011, 04:36 AM
You sure? I was under the impression that the version in Natty Narwhal runs on top of Gnome2. Also, I think I heard something on the Linux Action Show about Unity being ported to Qt in the future, but I may be mistaken.

I guess I miss worded that. Unity has the ability to run on the Gnome3 stack on 11.10. Not sure about the QT deal.

Mia1990
May 13th, 2011, 05:37 AM
There is already a unity based on QT it's in synaptic as Unity 2D i read that it was going to be the the fall back desktop for computers that couldn't run unity 3d in Ubuntu 11.10 but that's a few months away and could change.

screaminj3sus
May 13th, 2011, 01:32 PM

You probably heard about unity2d which uses QT. I highly doubt they will port unity3d to QT.

dh04000
May 13th, 2011, 02:30 PM
You probably heard about unity2d which uses QT. I highly doubt they will port unity3d to QT.

Your right, it uses QT for animations that do not require composition in Unity 2D. It is still gnome based, just using a little QT, which does not make it KDE based. Still very much gnome.

cgroza
May 13th, 2011, 02:54 PM
GNOME is not going anywhere for a loooong time.

jkohler2
June 4th, 2011, 03:19 AM
I am command-line challenged. I do not understand the KDE system, and GNOME is the only one that I know. If the decision by Ubuntu to abandon GNOME is final, I'll have to learn to install Fedora which still supports GNOME, I hope.:(

andrei_1
June 4th, 2011, 04:37 PM
I am command-line challenged. I do not understand the KDE system, and GNOME is the only one that I know. If the decision by Ubuntu to abandon GNOME is final, I'll have to learn to install Fedora which still supports GNOME, I hope.:(

Calm down, there's no decision to abandon GNOME (nor will there be one in the foreseeable future).

nothingspecial
June 4th, 2011, 08:40 PM
Just curious, could Ubuntu possibly abandon GNOME completely in the future? Unity is a Compiz plugin, and Compiz could run on its own. I'm wondering just how tied is the Ubuntu experience to GNOME, and whether it is strong enough that it would guarantee GNOME will remain in the distribution for a long time.

This is linux.

Ubuntu (Canonical) can do whatever they like.