PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Notebook Noise (Wasn't with vista)

iTimOSX
May 12th, 2011, 08:48 PM
Hello,

Installed Ubuntu on my mother's laptop today.
So far it works great.

But on windows there was something like energy saving mode which maked the laptop make less noise.
I can't find it in ubuntu (even if I change the CPU Mhz speed with that thing you can put in the taskbar [forgot the real name])
Is there some sort of application for this?

Thanks
Tim.

walt.smith1960
May 12th, 2011, 09:13 PM
What model laptop? Some makes have power or fan management packages which might help with fan noise. For example instead of just on/off, you might be able to vary the fan speed according to need.

iTimOSX
May 13th, 2011, 07:32 AM
What model laptop? Some makes have power or fan management packages which might help with fan noise. For example instead of just on/off, you might be able to vary the fan speed according to need.

It's a toshiba satelite l40

walt.smith1960
May 13th, 2011, 06:07 PM
It's a toshiba satelite l40

Take a look in Synaptic. I put "toshiba" in the search box. toshutils was one of the first choices. That seems like a good place to start. There is at least one other package which might be interest to you. If they don't work you can uninstall if you choose. Good luck.

iTimOSX
May 13th, 2011, 10:19 PM
Take a look in Synaptic. I put "toshiba" in the search box. toshutils was one of the first choices. That seems like a good place to start. There is at least one other package which might be interest to you. If they don't work you can uninstall if you choose. Good luck.

Thanks, I didn't look yet because the power supply is broken :(