PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] loading unbutn onto netbook

0buntuf67
May 12th, 2011, 05:38 PM
after my netbook starting had and error i decided to try ubuntu as i heard this kid talking about it at school. he said that it is for leet users which i want to be.

so, i took an ubuntu disk from him when he want looking and tried it. it seems not to work. any suggestions?:confused:

0buntuf67
May 12th, 2011, 06:51 PM
anyone know if this works i need something to check my facebook on

0buntuf67
May 12th, 2011, 07:17 PM
this is kinda important cause i will not be having another copmuter soon

0buntuf67
May 12th, 2011, 07:30 PM
umm hello someone should know something to do!!!!

blind2314
May 12th, 2011, 07:42 PM
Continue to spam and self-bump your thread...I'm aquiver with anticipation at someone answering you.

aphatak
May 12th, 2011, 08:09 PM
Can you explain what you saw when you tried Ubuntu and it did not work? Did the computer behave as if nothing has changed (such as load the original OS as before), or did it load and hang?
I can suggest a couple of possibilities -

The CD has gone bad. Doesn't appear likely if it was working recently, but such things can happen.
The laptop does not boot from the CD. When you start the laptop, it usually shows a message about choosing a boot device. If it does, you might want to hit the key the message mentions before it vanishes. It will then show you a menu from which you can choose to boot from the CD.
You might have to change boot priorities. Computers can boot from a variety of devices - the local hard disk, CD, USB drive, network, and so on. It looks for an OS in these devices one by one; as soon as it sees a device with an OS, it will boot from it, so the remaining devices are ignored. If this is what is happening, then you should see a message which says press <name of key> for set up (or words to that effect). If this is how your laptop behaves, again hit the key before the message vanishes, navigate through the menus, and then select your CD to be scanned before your hard drive for an OS.

Please post what you see on the screen when you start the machine. You and I can then figure out what is happening and how to make the computer boot Ubuntu.

aphatak
May 12th, 2011, 08:12 PM
Continue to spam and self-bump your thread...I'm aquiver with anticipation at someone answering you.

Please understand that the people who answer your questions do so only when they have the time - I go into this forum between meetings to cleanse my mind! Please have patience. In my experience, posts are answered with helpful information; this forum has helped me solve some really tricky problems.

0buntuf67
May 12th, 2011, 09:12 PM

huh? smugg alert.

0buntuf67
May 12th, 2011, 09:13 PM
Can you explain what you saw when you tried Ubuntu and it did not work? Did the computer behave as if nothing has changed (such as load the original OS as before), or did it load and hang?
I can suggest a couple of possibilities -

The CD has gone bad. Doesn't appear likely if it was working recently, but such things can happen.
The laptop does not boot from the CD. When you start the laptop, it usually shows a message about choosing a boot device. If it does, you might want to hit the key the message mentions before it vanishes. It will then show you a menu from which you can choose to boot from the CD.
You might have to change boot priorities. Computers can boot from a variety of devices - the local hard disk, CD, USB drive, network, and so on. It looks for an OS in these devices one by one; as soon as it sees a device with an OS, it will boot from it, so the remaining devices are ignored. If this is what is happening, then you should see a message which says press <name of key> for set up (or words to that effect). If this is how your laptop behaves, again hit the key before the message vanishes, navigate through the menus, and then select your CD to be scanned before your hard drive for an OS.

Please post what you see on the screen when you start the machine. You and I can then figure out what is happening and how to make the computer boot Ubuntu.

thanks i will chcek these things (i cann at least try the first two)

0buntuf67
May 13th, 2011, 02:09 PM
You might have to change boot priorities. Computers can boot from a variety of devices - the local hard disk, CD, USB drive, network, and so on. It looks for an OS in these devices one by one; as soon as it sees a device with an OS, it will boot from it, so the remaining devices are ignored. If this is what is happening, then you should see a message which says press <name of key> for set up (or words to that effect). If this is how your laptop behaves, again hit the key before the message vanishes, navigate through the menus, and then select your CD to be scanned before your hard drive for an OS.Please post what you see on the screen when you start the machine. You and I can then figure out what is happening and how to make the computer boot Ubuntu.

i find this confusing :confused: the cd looks good for 1 and 2, it doesnt come up on the screen though. i dont see any scratches or anything like that on the cd

aphatak
May 13th, 2011, 03:06 PM
Okay, let's scratch the bad-CD diagnosis out.

I am assuming your laptop has an integral CD (or DVD) drive. What do you see when you power up the laptop?

A full graphical screen, showing what amounts to a manufacturer's advertizement. This shows while the hard disk drive light remains on for a few seconds, and then you see the Windows logo.
A text screen, showing the POST (Power-On Self Test) process, while the PC is looking at its own configuration and checking the RAM, hard-disks, ethernet/wireless, and so on. A new line appears as each component is tested.
BIOS logo, no detailed messages as in #2 above, but a couple of lines showing what keys to press to get into BIOS, to select a boot device and so on.

If what you see if only #1, you will need access to the user's manual to find out how to get into the set-up menu. If you don't have the paper version, you can download it from the laptop-maker's site.
As I requested, power your PC up and post what you see.