PDA

View Full Version : Python dictionary takes quotes out!

CoffeeRain
May 12th, 2011, 02:17 PM
I have a python program that gets input, saves it in a dictionary, and writes it to a file. When I get it out at the next time I run it, all the quotes are gone so it will not work. Do you have any ideas how to fix it, or a command I could run to put the quotes in the right spots?

Riisen
May 12th, 2011, 02:23 PM
how do you get the text and how do you write it to file x?

Arndt
May 12th, 2011, 02:23 PM
I have a python program that gets input, saves it in a dictionary, and writes it to a file. When I get it out at the next time I run it, all the quotes are gone so it will not work. Do you have any ideas how to fix it, or a command I could run to put the quotes in the right spots?

Do you have some example code that shows the problem?

CoffeeRain
May 12th, 2011, 02:30 PM
Sure, here's some code.

r = open('dictionary.txt', 'r')
d = r.read()
d = eval(d)
r.close()

word = raw_input('Foo? ')
word2 = raw_input('Baz? ')
d[word] = word2

os.system('echo ' + pickle.dumps(d) + ' > dictionary.txt')

I mean this isn't all of it, in case it doesn't work, but I hope it's enough to give you a general idea.

simeon87
May 12th, 2011, 02:34 PM
If you use pickle to write the file then you also have to use pickle to load the file: http://docs.python.org/library/pickle.html#pickle.load or http://docs.python.org/library/pickle.html#pickle.loads

CoffeeRain
May 12th, 2011, 02:34 PM
I figured I should put the error message up...

File "dict.py", line 6, in <module>
d = eval(d)
File "<string>", line 1

{box: A box is something that can hold stuff., hut: A hut is a dwelling place, usually thought of as small.,.....}

The first few times I tried putting quotes around the stuff to figure out if that was the problem, and it worked the next time, but it just took the quotes out. Would it be something about using pickle?

CoffeeRain
May 12th, 2011, 02:36 PM
Thanks, I was probably composing my thing when you replied. I'll try that.

CoffeeRain
May 12th, 2011, 02:52 PM
Now it says

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "dict.py", line 5, in <module>
d = pickle.load('/Users/foo/dictionary.txt')
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/pickle.py", line 1370, in load
return Unpickler(file).load()
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/pickle.py", line 841, in __init__
self.readline = file.readline
AttributeError: 'str' object has no attribute 'readline'

I'm guessing it means that the dictionary got converted to a string and didn't get converted back.

simeon87
May 12th, 2011, 03:05 PM
Now it says

d = pickle.load('/Users/foo/dictionary.txt')
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/pickle.py", line 1370, in load
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/pickle.py", line 841, in __init__
self.readline = file.readline
AttributeError: 'str' object has no attribute 'readline'

I'm guessing it means that the dictionary got converted to a string and didn't get converted back.

You are calling pickle.load with a string but you have to call it with a file object, see the documentation: http://docs.python.org/library/pickle.html#pickle.load

CoffeeRain
May 12th, 2011, 03:27 PM
Like this?

d = pickle.load(r.read())

I've tried it, but it still gives an error about a string.

simeon87
May 12th, 2011, 03:41 PM
Like this?

d = pickle.load(r.read())

I've tried it, but it still gives an error about a string.

Try pickle.load(r). By calling read() you're still turning it into a string.

Zugzwang
May 12th, 2011, 03:52 PM
Sure, here's some code.

d = r.read()
d = eval(d)
r.close()

word = raw_input('Foo? ')
word2 = raw_input('Baz? ')
d[word] = word2

os.system('echo ' + pickle.dumps(d) + ' > dictionary.txt')

I mean this isn't all of it, in case it doesn't work, but I hope it's enough to give you a general idea.

@OP: Apprently you didn't got an answer to the question where the quotes went until now (or did I miss the post?). The reason is that when calling os.system, the quotes are interpreted by the shell and thus never appear in "dictionary.txt". Example terminal session:

me@my-computer:/tmp$ echo "Hello"
Hello

As you can see, the quotes vanish.

However, the solution not to use "os.system" that has somewhat been proposed in this thread is the right one to solve your problem.

CoffeeRain
May 12th, 2011, 04:57 PM
Thanks for the tips! Thanks for explaining why the quotes go away. Now I get an end of file error for pickle.load(r).

CoffeeRain
May 12th, 2011, 05:31 PM
I think I fixed that, because I found out nothing was in the file. Now I get...

raceback (most recent call last):
d = pickle.load(r)
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/pickle.py", line 858, in load
dispatch[key](self)
KeyError: '{'

I tried using pickle in the interpreter, but it won't work. Yes, it was imported. I get this...

File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/pickle.py", line 1374, in loads
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/pickle.py", line 858, in load
dispatch[key](self)
File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/pickle.py", line 1156, in load_binget
self.append(self.memo[repr(i)])
KeyError: '105'

simeon87
May 12th, 2011, 05:47 PM
Can you post your updated code to see what you're doing now? If you're getting errors in pickle it most likely means you're passing the wrong kind of data as input or arguments. Use the documentation to see what kind of information a function expects. Python won't say anything unless you run the code and see that it wasn't the right thing.

CoffeeRain
May 12th, 2011, 05:59 PM
OK,

d = pickle.load(r)
d = eval(d)
r.close()
f = file('dictionary.txt', 'w')
pickle.dump(d, f)

simeon87
May 12th, 2011, 06:04 PM
The following code writes a dictionary to file, using pickle, and reads it using pickle:

import pickle

d = {"Test": "Foo", 1: 2}
pickle.dump(d, f)
f.close()
d = pickle.load(r)
r.close()
print d

When you use pickle.load, it already constructs the dictionary.

Make sure dictionary.txt doesn't contain some incorrect data. If necessary, just remove it manually and dump the dictionary again to the file.

cgroza
May 12th, 2011, 09:32 PM
OK,

d = pickle.load(r)
d = eval(d)
r.close()
pickle.dump(d, f)
Why do you use eval on it? d is already a dictionary instance. I think you do not understand how serialization works.
Pickle does not return the content of the file. Pickle reads the file and gives you the saved instance of the object it contained. So, when you did pickle.load, d turned to a dictionary instance.

You were trying to eval a dictionary object.

CoffeeRain
May 13th, 2011, 02:55 PM
I'm now getting a KeyError: '{' and sometimes " ' "

cgroza
May 13th, 2011, 03:02 PM
I'm now getting a KeyError: '{' and sometimes " ' "
Did the code change since post #16?

CoffeeRain
May 13th, 2011, 03:07 PM
Yes. I took the eval(d) out.

d = pickle.load(r)
r.close()
pickle.dump(d, f)

cgroza
May 14th, 2011, 01:36 AM
Yes. I took the eval(d) out.

d = pickle.load(r)
r.close()
pickle.dump(d, f)
Did you remove the dictionary.txt after you applied the fix? Chances are that you are loading the corrupt version again.