PDA

View Full Version : What is the most odd food you eat?

HappinessNow
May 12th, 2011, 10:40 AM
What are foods you enjoy that others may find odd?

I have to say for me it is:

1. Spicy Pickled Eggs sprinkled with Habanero powder

2. uni sushi

3. tako sashimi

4. steak tartare

What are foods you have tried once? oddest tried once:

1. frog legs

2. alligator

3. escargot

speedwell68
May 12th, 2011, 10:45 AM
Crisp sandwiches with lashings of brown sauce.

VinDSL
May 12th, 2011, 10:49 AM
The one that gets the most notice is onion sandwiches, smothered in Trappey's Hot Sauce.

I only eat sweets (My Top 3):

1015Y Texas Super Sweets
Walla Walla Sweets
Vidalia Onions

mips
May 12th, 2011, 10:50 AM
I don't consider food odd. I'll try out just about anything.

VinDSL
May 12th, 2011, 10:54 AM
Crisp sandwiches with lashings of brown sauce.
Thanks for reminding me (I noticed your location).

I also love Haywards Traditional Pickled Onions!!!

They're impossible to find in Arizona. I have to ship them in from Los Angeles.

They get a lot of notice too. :)

Onoku
May 12th, 2011, 10:56 AM
Scorpions or live squid. Those were both one time experiences though.

HappinessNow
May 12th, 2011, 10:58 AM

They get a lot of notice too. :)I have a weakness for The Garlic Lady's Habanero Pickled Garlic

VinDSL
May 12th, 2011, 11:01 AM
I don't consider food odd. I'll try out just about anything.
LoL! Move to Arizona. We eat cactus here -- no kidding.

Google "Nopales".

At Christmas, we make cactus jelly.

Cream cheese on a Ritz cracker with cactus jelly on top, is the way you eat it.

HappinessNow
May 12th, 2011, 11:04 AM

Google "Nopales".

At Christmas, we make cactus jelly.

Cream cheese on a Ritz cracker with cactus jelly on top, is the way you eat it.how do you chew on the stickies? or do you pick each one out individually?

VinDSL
May 12th, 2011, 11:04 AM
I have a weakness for The Garlic Lady's Habanero Pickled Garlic
Um... Habanero. Yummy!

If you like habanero, may I recommend: Hot Sauce From Hell Devil's Revenge (http://www.hotsauceworld.com/hotsaucfromh.html)

El Zoido
May 12th, 2011, 11:05 AM
I'd not consider it odd, but most people would find it odd that someone may like it:

Liquorice :grin:

matt_symes
May 12th, 2011, 11:07 AM
I have eaten...

Tarantulas in Cambodia.

Deep fried crickets in Thailand.

God knows what in China ( i could not understand the menu)

... and i loved it all.

VinDSL
May 12th, 2011, 11:10 AM
how do you chew on the stickies? or do you pick each one out individually?
You have to skin them.

The best way to describe Nopales is: It tastes sort of like a pickle, but has the texture of a green bean -- and it's slimy as snot, dripping out your nose.

Definitely, an acquired taste! ;)

VinDSL
May 12th, 2011, 11:12 AM
I have eaten...

Tarantulas in Cambodia.

Deep fried crickets in Thailand.

God knows what in China [...]
Meow!

matt_symes
May 12th, 2011, 11:20 AM
Not the oddest but the best steak i have ever eaten was in Brazil. I think it was Argentinian beef.

There is nothing like it in the UK. Angus steaks don't even hold a pale to it.

el_koraco
May 12th, 2011, 11:26 AM
Not the oddest, but the most disgusting (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pihtije) for so.

Lucradia
May 12th, 2011, 11:26 AM
Odd Food (To Others) I eat?

1. Sourdough Bread (Toast)

2. Wheat Saltines (Calms Stomach, Dietary Fiber)

3. Harvest Cheddar Sunchips (Dietary Fiber)

4. Ginger Ale (Calms Stomach, Often Regularly)

5. Chocolate Milk (Almost like water to me, calms stomach, reduces heartburn)

Reasons are the "Odd" Part to people. Anything that's white (save for Sourdough) has too much carbs, and causes my metabolish to teeter and causes me to eat more. Sourdough and Wheat / 9-grain bread have low carbs in comparison to white. I'm fat enough as it is, so I don't want to over-do it. Instead of popcorn, I eat Sun Chips, but since I don't like the taste of "normal" sun chips, I get Harvest Cheddar, which doesn't have much of a difference anyway. Sometimes, I eat more Dietary Fiber than people normally eat, because it helps me feel full.

As for just-plain odd foods:

None.

mips
May 12th, 2011, 11:35 AM

I've had cactus (or succulents) before as well as their fruit. Prickly Pear being one example http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opuntia

HappinessNow
May 12th, 2011, 11:57 AM
Not the oddest but the best steak i have ever eaten was in Brazil. I think it was Argentinian beef.

There is nothing like it in the UK. Angus steaks don't even hold a pale to it.

I had Argentinian beef in Amsterdam, magnificent!

Retlol
May 12th, 2011, 01:16 PM

2. uni sushi

3. tako sashimi

4. steak tartare

oddest tried once:

1. frog legs

2. alligator

3. escargot

Normal food where I live.

Now I want frog legs, damn, gonna get me some later.

Throne777
May 12th, 2011, 02:19 PM
Dead babies. Om nom nom.

Dry Lips
May 12th, 2011, 02:25 PM
1. Sauerkraut!
2. I'm a vegetarian. Pretty much everything I eat is unfamiliar
to those who are used to eating steak and fries for dinner.

Gerontion
May 12th, 2011, 02:46 PM
I live in Thailand so the whole insect thing is pretty normal. Ants eggs are pretty good if you ever get a chance, and crickets aren't bad. Had snake a few times (nothing special), crocodile (nice enough but not worth going out of your way for) and raw minced spiced buffalo served in fresh buffalo blood. Not one for the vegetarians, that, but surprisingly nice. All sorts of internal organs tend to turn up in your dishes - heart's OK but I can't really get on with intestines. And a good snack, if you like rich fatty stuff, is grilled duck's bum. Durian is another odd one. It's a fruit - and a nice one - but it smells like, well, excrement. One chef described it as being like 'french kissing your dead grandmother' and Kingsley Amis described it as like eating strawberry blancmange on the toilet. I think most unpleasant would be Japanese rotten beans. Repulsive. Just thinking about them now makes me gag slightly.

speedwell68
May 12th, 2011, 02:48 PM

They get a lot of notice too. :)

You can't beat Haywards pickles, their Picalli is awesome.

cespinal
May 12th, 2011, 03:00 PM
sushi is not odd anymore

i have had pigeons, frogs, shark fin soup, sea cucumbers,
yes i was in china

Gerontion
May 12th, 2011, 03:06 PM
^ I used to eat pigeon (wood pigeons, not the winged rats you get in cities) a lot when I lived in England. It's a normal country food, like rabbit.

matt_symes
May 12th, 2011, 03:10 PM
I live in Thailand so the whole insect thing is pretty normal. Ants eggs are pretty good if you ever get a chance, and crickets aren't bad. Had snake a few times (nothing special), crocodile (nice enough but not worth going out of your way for) and raw minced spiced buffalo served in fresh buffalo blood. Not one for the vegetarians, that, but surprisingly nice. All sorts of internal organs tend to turn up in your dishes - heart's OK but I can't really get on with intestines. And a good snack, if you like rich fatty stuff, is grilled duck's bum. Durian is another odd one. It's a fruit - and a nice one - but it smells like, well, excrement. One chef described it as being like 'french kissing your dead grandmother' and Kingsley Amis described it as like eating strawberry blancmange on the toilet. I think most unpleasant would be Japanese rotten beans. Repulsive. Just thinking about them now makes me gag slightly.

Diet is very much related to where one lives. What's unusual to some is standard fare for others.

This interested me a little while ago.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/earthnews/3343288/Eat-more-insects-scientists-say.html

matt_symes
May 12th, 2011, 03:12 PM
sea cucumbers

I have never tried that. How on earth do you eat them ? With ketchup ? :D

doas777
May 12th, 2011, 03:17 PM
osterich or alligator jerky, I think.

thats discounting all the mainstream eastern stuff that westerners find odd, like eel, octopus, etc.

I dated a girl once, who;s grandma used to hunt squirrles in her garden, and then can them with ketchup. the squirrel wasn't too bad, but the ketchup was just not right for it.

Gerontion
May 12th, 2011, 03:18 PM
Diet is very much related to where one lives. What's unusual to some is standard fare for othersAbsolutely. It always amazes me that in the supermarkets here in Thailand, it's the lean pork and the chicken breasts which is the cheap meat. It's all the kidneys, livers, chicken joints (the cartilage from knees etc - it's as unpleasant as it sounds), uterus, stomach, belly, tripe, etc which is the expensive stuff. Tesco must make a fortune just on the arbitrage in chicken breasts.

RiceMonster
May 12th, 2011, 03:24 PM
I eat a lot of different types of food from different cultures, but I don't consider any of it odd.

matt_symes
May 12th, 2011, 03:26 PM
I eat a lot of different types of food from different cultures, but I don't consider any of it odd.

I just like eating ;)

samalex
May 12th, 2011, 03:34 PM
I guess I'm boring, there's not much odd I eat. I do get some looks because I put either may or ranch on pretty much everything.

Elfy
May 12th, 2011, 03:44 PM
You can't beat Haywards pickles, their Picalli is awesome.Sorry - can't agree - if I can't be bothered to do them myself then these (http://www.baxters.com/products/garners-pickled-onions.html) are much better.

I just like eating ;)That I can agree with :)

milehigh
May 12th, 2011, 06:16 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocky_mountain_oysters

NightwishFan
May 12th, 2011, 06:19 PM
I like:

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Haggis
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Wasabi
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Calimari

:)

RiceMonster
May 12th, 2011, 06:20 PM
I just like eating ;)

Well said.

HappinessNow
May 12th, 2011, 08:29 PM
edit to OP to clarify thread

2. uni sushi

3. tako sashimi

4. steak tartare

What are foods you have tried once? oddest tried once:

1. frog legs

2. alligator

3. escargot

mcduck
May 12th, 2011, 08:41 PM
Ammonium chloride candy seems to disturb some people. Great stuff though. ;)

I try to not think of any food as strange. If it tastes good, I'll eat it. Keeping my eyes closed if necessary. :D

JDShu
May 12th, 2011, 08:47 PM

In fact, if you eat a certain food, implying that you eat it regularly, by definition you won't find it odd.

odiseo77
May 12th, 2011, 11:17 PM
Escargots (yeah, I know they're not considered odd in France, but they are here; they're delicious with all the spices they put in them, btw).
Capybara (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capybara) (not that odd here, but probably odd in other places).
All sort of fruits that grow here (there are some that I don't even know); this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soursop) is one of my favorites.

DZ*
May 13th, 2011, 12:16 AM
I have never tried [sea cucumbers]. How on earth do you eat them ? With ketchup ? :D

Remove guts, boil them, chop, then add to anything you want. I imagine they're tasty with ketchup, will have to try that. I like them mixed with eggplants, carrots and mushrooms. You can buy them frozen at asian stores. I used to gather them for dinner in Russian Far East.

Macskeeball
May 13th, 2011, 12:54 AM
Odd thing that I regularly eat: veggie chips. The Central Market brand from H-E-B is surprisingly good. I didn't think I would like them, but they turned out to be my favorite kind of chips.

The weirdest thing I've eaten once: cactus lintel soup. It was the first time I had cactus anything, but it turned to not be all that different from other vegetable soup. I've also had sushi, but nothing crazy- just your basic California rolls.

I also sometimes combine things in unusual ways, like an Asian veggie patty with parmesan cheese, American salad, and French dressing, all wrapped together inside a tortilla.

zealibib slaughter
May 13th, 2011, 01:10 AM
I would say for me its squirrel, opposum, snake, potted meat (which is a mixture of different parts of many different animals in mush form) and pickled pigs feet.

Old_Grey_Wolf
May 13th, 2011, 01:38 AM
Where I live we are allowed to hunt animals, fish, etc.; therefore, there are some odd foods that I have eaten consisting of Squirrels, Rabbits, Possums, Armadillos, Birds, Frogs, Snakes, Lizards, Turtles, Octopi, and so forth. Those are normal oddities that may be common in other countries.

I don't know if this is odd in other countries. It is the only thing I can think of at the moment that I have not encounter elsewhere during my travels.

I butter dark rye bread and put ground Sapsago cheese on it. That is it. That is the way I prefer to eat my bread.

Sapsago cheese is something of an acquired taste with it's strong flavor and aroma. Sapsago cheese is green in colour. I grew up with it; therefore, the aroma and flavor are normal to me.

My wife put a small bottle of sulfur I had, that had gotten old and warm, in the icebox thinking it was Sapsago. :)

I had a teacher, when I was in elementary school, that was curious about the powder I put on some buttered bread during lunch. I let her smell it. She put her head under the lunchroom table and blew chunks. :)

NovaAesa
May 13th, 2011, 02:06 AM
Where I live, it's not really an odd food, but I guess it would be for people from most other places. Kangaroo! We have kangaroo steaks pretty often, and kangaroo sausages on occasion too.

Old_Grey_Wolf
May 13th, 2011, 02:59 AM
Where I live, it's not really an odd food, but I guess it would be for people from most other places. Kangaroo! We have kangaroo steaks pretty often, and kangaroo sausages on occasion too.

I have eaten Kangaroo while in Australia, and liked it; however, I have never tried Kangaroo sausage. Is is bland like British sausage or is it spicy?

Timmer1240
May 13th, 2011, 04:23 AM
Deer Heart and Liver Its actually pretty good!

WinterMadness
May 13th, 2011, 04:39 AM
i eat pizza with no cheese, and im not a vegan

user1397
May 13th, 2011, 05:41 AM
i used to spread liverwurst (pate) on a slice of bread, fold it, and eat it (i think that's considered weird but idk)

when i was young i would also spread straight mayonnaise on a slice of bread and eat it just like that...i don't do that anymore :popcorn:

wolfen69
May 13th, 2011, 06:10 AM
I have a weakness for The Garlic Lady's Habanero Pickled Garlic

That sounds awesome. I'll have to see if they have a website. I LOVE marinated/pickled garlic. :P

But lately, I've been getting the urge to try a bacon and peanut butter sandwich. :confused:

yetiman64
May 13th, 2011, 06:13 AM
The Australian Coat of Arms (Kangaroo and Emu are on it :)).

Probably the nicest meat I've ever tasted was the belly meat of a Green Sea Turtle (taken by Aboriginals in a Northern Australian Community I was visiting many years ago). Although turtles are now protected, the communities were allowed to take limited numbers as traditional food back then.

The reason turtle is so "odd" is the fat is bright green, but the taste is exquisite (we cooked it crumbed and deep fried and it tasted like extremely tender veal marinated in oyster sauce). Note that this was 25 to 30 years ago and I wouldn't dream of touching turtle nowadays.

One combination I put together as a kid and loved but that turned others "green in the gills" was a peanut paste (butter) and strawberry jam sandwich with a heavy layer of raw garlic in the jam and a layer of Arnotts ginger nut biscuits all on toast. I loved it, but sadly was banned from making any more because of the garlic smell I put out afterwards :lol:.

Edit: +1 for pickled garlic.

wolfen69
May 13th, 2011, 06:22 AM
I find it fascinating though, that certain cultures find some things acceptable, and others abhor it. But it really just comes down to what you are used to, and what is considered acceptable in your region. But I'm not afraid to go outside of my usual diet and try new things.

VinDSL
May 13th, 2011, 10:02 AM
Sorry - can't agree - if I can't be bothered to do them myself then these (http://www.baxters.com/products/garners-pickled-onions.html) are much better.[...]
Oh! You tease,you!

I've never seen those before -- and they come in 1kg jars!

The ones I get are 710g...

I need to hunt them down, somewhere locally (within 750 miles preferably). :D

VinDSL
May 13th, 2011, 10:09 AM
i eat pizza with no cheese, and im not a vegan
I've been an ovo lacto vegetarian for 20 years. I love cheese pizzas, smothered in Trappey's Hot Sauce.

My friends will order one for me, at get-togethers, along with whatever they like... then, they end up eating MY cheese pizza, instead of their own.

LoL! Go figure...

Grenage
May 13th, 2011, 10:19 AM
If I see something I've not had before, I'll try it. That doesn't include ready-meals/ready-sauces/etc, because they always taste bloody awful compared to stuff you make yourself. I've got cupboards full of food pickling (garlic, plums, etc).

I'm ovo vegetarian these days, but I still come across things I've not eaten or made before. I probably miss blue steaks and sashimi the most.

fjf
May 14th, 2011, 11:09 AM
Central and north-europeans find odd that (around the mediterranean) we eat octopus. Dont know why.