PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] installation of file extension .tar.gz

Herbie07
May 11th, 2011, 01:02 PM
Hi guys,
am a window user so am gonna be honest am new to Ubuntu though for several months i've been trying to learn it! I've been looking for this downloading software so i found it with an extension of .tar.gz :( !! It creeped me out because like in Windows i expected "next".."next".. then "finish"..goosh it was something else :D !So i googled it and got some pretty confused answers :confused:! Plz may somebody explain it to me how to instal it to my new "Ubuntu Deskop", in a good understanding layman newbie language :popcorn:!

I love Ubuntu!

Thanx, i'll appreciate

Herbie07

cbowman57
May 11th, 2011, 02:23 PM
Hi guys,
am a window user so am gonna be honest am new to Ubuntu though for several months i've been trying to learn it! I've been looking for this downloading software so i found it with an extension of .tar.gz :( !! It creeped me out because like in Windows i expected "next".."next".. then "finish"..goosh it was something else :D !So i googled it and got some pretty confused answers :confused:! Plz may somebody explain it to me how to instal it to my new "Ubuntu Deskop", in a good understanding layman newbie language :popcorn:!

I love Ubuntu!

Thanx, i'll appreciate

Herbie07

That indicates the file is a compressed archive (similar to zip or rar). It needs to be extracted before you can do anything with it, you don't just click & run. :)

Did you already use the software center or synaptic to see if that particular software is available through normal channels? If so, and it wasn't available, you may want to give more information about it, or better yet a link to where you found it. That will give some of the more experienced users here on the forum some information to start with in trying to help you.

coffeecat
May 11th, 2011, 03:13 PM
@Herbie07, most tar.gz tarballs contain source code for compiling the software. This is only really of use to developers, or for experienced Linux users who want to recompile apps. More than 90% of your application needs can be met in Ubuntu's Software Center or Synaptic as cbowman57 says. Installing from Software Center is easier than installing software in Windows.

Occasionally you may find useful software that is not in the Ubuntu repositories. You need to look for a downloadable installer with the "deb" extension - make sure that Ubuntu is mentioned on the application download webpage. If you download such a deb file, you simply double-click on it and the system should do the rest for you.

In a very small minority of cases you may find an app not in the repositories and for which there is no downloadable deb file - only source code. Personally, I would be disinclined to bother with such an app. If the developer has so little confidence in their own program that they canít be bothered to package it for the most popular Linux distro, then I can't be bothered to give it any of my valuable time. :wink:

Give us some more details of the application you are trying to install, and we might be able to help you better.

Herbie07
May 30th, 2011, 04:50 PM
thanx guys, i appreciate for your responses! well, to be very clear am looking for a software like "internet download manager" :confused: !! so if it happens somebody knows a similar stuff in the software centre may you give me a name?! :popcorn:

cbowman57
May 30th, 2011, 06:10 PM
thanx guys, i appreciate for your responses! well, to be very clear am looking for a software like "internet download manager" :confused: !! so if it happens somebody knows a similar stuff in the software centre may you give me a name?! :popcorn:

Since I don't use Windows, maybe you could tell us what it does. Right off hand I'd say that you want a software called Steadyflow, it's available via ppa.