PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Ubuntu 11.04 sound not working after updates.

spinfx
May 11th, 2011, 10:29 AM
hi there.

i installed ubuntu 11.04 from scratch, formatted the hard drive. all working perfect. installed all software, and still working perfect.

once i did updates, the sound didnt work.

tried this 4 times, with 32 bit and also 64 bit. same result. only once the first set of updates are done, the sound stops working. i am not sure which update causes the problem as there is 135 of them.

if i use grub to load the previous version of linux, sound works again, so i am quiet sure there is a bug somewhere with one or more of the updates.

can anyone help me nut this out ? i am not too technical on ubuntu.

thanks. :popcorn::popcorn:

grahammechanical
May 11th, 2011, 03:13 PM
I have found that sometimes an update will mute the sound. And all I have to do is click the sound icon and work my way through the options making sure nothing has been muted.

Regards.

spinfx
May 15th, 2011, 02:56 AM
hi there.

thanks, but definitely not a mute problem. its almost sounds like a hardware conflict, like in the old days when you had IRQ conflicts in windows etc...

the sounds wants to work, you hear a milisecond of sound, but then stops, some applications will play sound, but very gittery... others will not play at all...

like i said before this only happens after first update. works perfect if there is no update.

kostkon
May 15th, 2011, 03:10 AM
Do you have an nvidia sound card. If yes, try configuring your sound again, after applying all the updates.

Select and test all the available profiles and configurations.

spinfx
June 10th, 2011, 02:57 AM
hi everyone.

thanks for trying to help, but none of the solutions worked.

i just updated to kernel 2.6.38.10 and that fixed it. if i go back to 2.6.38.09, the sound does not work. so its obviously something to do with that particular kernel version.

so i guess this is solved, somewhat :)

thanks again :)