PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Applications to Remove in Desktop version on Netbook

RichieB07
May 11th, 2011, 03:14 AM
I have Ubuntu 10.10 running on my netbook, but I use the desktop version as my netbook handles it just fine (Acer Aspire One AOD-255). I went through the "Installed Applications" in the Ubuntu Software Center and am pretty sure I got rid of everything that I won't need on a netbook, like Movie Player, Brasero, PiTiVi, etc.

Is there any other applications that should be uninstalled to make the desktop version more netbook oriented?

mr_luksom
May 11th, 2011, 11:27 AM
Is it doing any harm keeping them on? Unless they are running, they are not stealing CPU, and most packages are not particularly hard disk hungry either. The last thing you want is to accidentally remove something you need...

RichieB07
May 11th, 2011, 03:56 PM
I was just going more for a "why have them if you can't use them" approach. Obviously you can't play DVDs or burn CDs with a netbook, so I was just seeing if there was anything else anyone could think of.

hreichgott
May 11th, 2011, 05:00 PM
I always uninstall Evolution, couchdb, Ubuntu One and Gwibber.

If you already use something other than Evolution for email, you can uninstall Evolution and everything with "couchdb" in the name. (Unless you have any programming projects that use Apache Couchdb, I guess.) 11.04 now hides "technical" packages in the Software Center unless you click on the little link on the bottom--most of the couchdb stuff is in the "technical" category.

If you don't need the constantly-syncing Ubuntu One client, it can go away. Ubuntu One has a website that works perfectly well for file storage and retrieval, if you have no problem uploading and downloading files yourself. I use the website happily.

Gwibber is a microblogging/social network thing.

All of these programs seem to be rather resource-hungry and have processes that are ALWAYS RUNNING (like Ubuntu One constantly checking to see if something needs to be synced). If you use them, great, but if you don't, there's no reason to have them busying up the computer.