PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Dell Broadcom wireless F(L)OSS replacement

The End of The World
May 10th, 2011, 06:51 PM
Hi there,
I was just wondering if there's a free (as in free speech) wifi card that works with Ubuntu that I can buy that would replace my Broadcom BCM3412 card.

Extra Info:

Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY (rev 01)Thanks so much.

P.S.
It's for a Dell Inspiron 1545.
I believe I read somewhere something like it's a half card? if that means anything?
I guess I'm asking what Wireless cards are around that have free (as in free speech) drivers, and can I swap them with my annoying proprietary driver'd one.
Thanks!

Joe of loath
May 10th, 2011, 07:13 PM
There is one, but it's still being written.

What I did was just buy an Intel card, a 5100 I believe. Works on all recent Linux distros (And older ones if you fancy compiling linux-firmware from source), and they're really cheap, less than $15 from China.

The End of The World
May 10th, 2011, 07:17 PM
So if i bought a new libre wireless card, would I be able to switch it? It wouldn't somehow break my laptop?
Thanks for the speedy reply!

Joe of loath
May 10th, 2011, 07:26 PM
Yup, I have the same laptop, and it's easy. Take off the big panel on the bottom, and it's the card closest to the front. One screw, and it pops up. Then, just slide the card out, slide the new one in, and pop the antennae back on.

Also, just noticed you're from the UK. You can buy these cards for just over a tenner from the UK. I bought one from China, it took too long, so I bought a UK one and sold the Chinese one on ebay when it arrived.

The End of The World
May 10th, 2011, 07:46 PM
Thanks!