PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Linux 11.04 review

Dale61
May 10th, 2011, 08:28 AM
http://www.crn.com.au/Review/256040,ubuntu-linux-1104.aspx

The latest edition of Canonical's free operating system brings a new front-end to the popular Windows alternative

I did offer to edit this:
Factor in the lack of industry-standard tools such as Outlook, Excel, Photoshop or Final Cut, and it’s clear that, for many purposes, sticking to Windows or OS X will give you an easier ride. - to something more like:
Factor in the lack of expensive industry-standard tools such as Outlook, Excel, Photoshop or Final Cut, and it’s clear that, if you are well off financially, sticking to Windows or OS X will give you an easier ride.

BTW, if this has been posted in the wrong forum, feel free to move to where it should be.

lz1dsb
May 10th, 2011, 08:46 AM
I agree with your edits. But anyway in general the article looks quite positive to me, isn't it?
And that comment about "industry standard tools" I think it's more or less relevant for the corporate user. Who uses Outlook at home anyway...

Cheers,
Boyan

earthpigg
May 10th, 2011, 08:47 AM
I disagree with this:

if you are well off financially

My desktop doesn't run Ubuntu because I am not "well off financially", nor do my family and friends that run Ubuntu.

weasel fierce
May 10th, 2011, 08:50 AM
For the 95% of the world that doesn't live in the US, you could always change it to "if you prefer not relying on the proprietary software of a foreign megacorporation, you might consider Ubuntu 11.04"

Dale61
May 10th, 2011, 08:54 AM
I disagree with this:

My desktop doesn't run Ubuntu because I am not "well off financially", nor do my family and friends that run Ubuntu.

It was more in line with the industry-standard tools line, and aimed squarely at the price of the mentioned software.

el_koraco
May 10th, 2011, 08:54 AM
I don't get it, is the 2hotchpotch" of software libraries a result of not being able to find the right ones, or the fact that there is no Outlook and so on?

Dale61
May 10th, 2011, 08:59 AM
I think it might be that the software has different names, and there is no 'easy' explanation of what each program is/does.

Maybe it needs to be renamed thus - Photoshop equivalent GIMP, Outlook equivalent [program of choice], Excel equivalent [program of choice], etc, etc,.

el_koraco
May 10th, 2011, 09:08 AM
Well, it's divided into categories. Seems like the only problem is that there is no Photoshop, Outlook, and so on. The guys at the magazine obviously don't like open source software all that much.

Dale61
May 10th, 2011, 09:13 AM
It's always easier to write about how different (harder) it is to use than it is easier to use!

giowuu
May 10th, 2011, 09:29 AM
i dont linux because it is cheap. i use it because it virus-free, more stable, uses less system resources(lower fan noises) and is easier to install programs.

Dale61
May 10th, 2011, 09:59 AM
i dont linux because it is cheap. i use it because it virus-free, more stable, uses less system resources(lower fan noises) and is easier to install programs.

If a reviewer ever wrote something, anything even close to that, how long do you think he would last writing for any PC magazine?

lz1dsb
May 10th, 2011, 12:12 PM
If a reviewer ever wrote something, anything even close to that, how long do you think he would last writing for any PC magazine?
Well said!

Thewhistlingwind
May 10th, 2011, 12:21 PM
I don't know, evolution is pretty useful for obsessive mail-checkers.

lz1dsb
May 10th, 2011, 02:48 PM
It is, but many people consider Outlook to be something like a standard for the Enterprise segment. And if all your infrastructure is built around Windows, than probably it's much more efficient to use Outlook.
I don't know, to me this is such a shame. And the fact that many government institutions doesn't require open document standards is even more irritating...

Not unique
May 10th, 2011, 04:05 PM
Here in the UK the government promised to look at using Open source more.
As for the article it's the usual bu*%£!*t for a force fed consumerist hedonistic society, I would not be surprised if Microsoft owned or pay'd the magazine.

lz1dsb
May 10th, 2011, 04:25 PM
I don't know if this will ever change. Here in Eastern Europe even the managers in the private sector prefer Microsoft because of the commissions they have for each license (off the record off course ;) )... And the government sector is even worse... I'm also irritated of the fact that at schools they teach the kids to use only Windows and there's no Open Source, but it's the way it is. I hope it will change some day.

Not unique
May 10th, 2011, 04:30 PM
lz1dsb that's realy bad but only teaching Microsloth ******* is the same every where, Here in the UK you have to go to University to learn Linux or Unix.
Will things ever change???

earthpigg
May 10th, 2011, 05:39 PM
I'm also irritated of the fact that at schools they teach the kids to use only Windows and there's no Open Source, but it's the way it is. I hope it will change some day.

The concern there is that folks are being trained to use one specific program, instead of that type of program in general.

No one should spend 12 years learning MS Office or OpenOffice. At the end of that 12 years, with a class here and there spread throughout, the product of that education should be able to sit down at any reasonably well designed graphical user interface software and feel more-or-less at home.

As an example, the fact that a bunch of college student peers of mine are completely blown away (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=User_talk:Earthpig&oldid=428387055) by simple wiki markup is astonishing.

Put # for a numbered item, * for a non-numbered bullet, : for an indentation, none of those if you want none, use the Word-like tools at the top if you want, and other than that just pretend you are using notepad/wordpad/gedit. Half of those that contributed (about 25% of the class) got it, half did not. Who knows how many in my class were simply too intimidated to even try - notepad is apparently too unfamiliar and daunting to be used by many recent high school graduates here in California. Certainly not all of the 75% that may not participated for other reasons ("wikopadie r stoopid"), but some of them.

lz1dsb
May 10th, 2011, 10:11 PM
folks are being trained to use one specific program, instead of that type of program in general.

No one should spend 12 years learning MS Office or OpenOffice.

I agree with you. Very well said. You shouldn't train the students just to click here and there but to have the proper mentality and adapt quickly. But that's not the education we see these days, do we? Anyway, that's gone a bit out off topic. An this issue has probabliy been discussed around in this forum many times...

Not unique
May 11th, 2011, 02:29 AM
Seconded no thirded, my specific worry being that pupils only know and therefore only like Microsoft products.
Microsoft have worked hard at this but this sort of thing does NOT belong in a liberal society.
Anyway yeh sorry er Ubu 11 good but not good enough in my opinion I'm back with Ubu 10.10 cos I own low end graphics and I experienced many many errors.