PDA

View Full Version : gNatty Gnome Live ISO

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

cbowman57
May 10th, 2011, 01:17 AM
With the release of 11.10 & the inclusion of gnome-shell in the official repos gNatty has outlived it's usefulness.

This project is dead, torrents removed from linuxtracker.org

Don't know about the rest of you but I learned a lot doing this. * 30 Dec 2011

If you found this thread as a result of Andrew's article on Webupd8 (http://www.webupd8.org/2011/07/gnatty-ubuntu-1104-remaster-with-gnome.html#more), thanks for checking it out & welcome to the project. Please re-seed since that is the only current distribution method. If anyone has a site to host it for reliable direct downloading that would be great too.

For maximum stability I also recommend that you disable ricotz/testing ppa immediately after installation. If you like to tweak things until they break I recommend frequent backups, I like Clonezilla.

Recent updates may have broken a couple extensions, if you are unable to login to your Gnome 3.0 shell desktop I recommend that you download the most recent gNatty Extensions, link is near bottom of this post. (Make note of your weather settings if you replace that extension) I have made some modifications to a couple of them so they no longer seem to cause a problem & continue to cooperate with each other. * 29 June 2011

32-bit version released 22 June 2011, gNatty Gnome i686 v3.1 Live
64-bit version released 16 June 2011, gNatty Gnome amd64 v3 Live
(Download links at bottom of this post)

Overview:

This is a basic, stock Ubuntu 11.04 installation & live iso with the inclusion of the latest Gnome 3.0 packages constructed with UCK. It is based on the UGR (Ubuntu Gnome Remix) project, with the addition of the rictotz/testing ppa and comes with themes & extensions to be installed by the user. Despite what some people think, Gnome 3.0 shell & Unity can coexist in the same installation.

Installation Tips:
Attempting to update a previous version of Ubuntu is not recommended, this should be used as a new installation. (Pretty standard disclaimer)

1. If you have problems loading try selecting f6 from the grub screen and select nomodeset.

2. Read & follow the Installation Notes.

3. If everything installed ok you should now have the option of selecting between Ubuntu GNOME Shell (Gnome), Classic Gnome w/o effects, Classic Gnome, & Ubuntu (Unity).

General Notes:
Please be as generous as possible seeding this file, my connection is painfully slow so it needs all the help it can get.

Feel free to ask any question you want.

The recipe:

The majority of the formula comes from the UGR (Ubuntu Gnome Remix) Project so I'll point you to their website for instructions, my only real change, other than activating a couple optional repositories is to add this PPA: sudo apt-add-repository ppa:ricotz/testing before the updating & upgrading.

Ubuntu Gnome Remix (UGR) Project installation instructions (http://ugr.teampr0xy.net/install)

Let's have fun!

Index of useful posts:

Can I boot from USB stick? - Post #23
Error message on boot in Live Session - Post #32
Restore gdm as default login - Post #33
Thumbnail of default gNatty Live Session - Post #36
View of Gnome shell fallback mode - Post #44
Tips for initial installation - Post #46
Possible causes for installation failure - Post #50
Introduced gNatty Pack - Post #64
Removing Nvidia driver after gNatty installation - Post #67
Using nomodeset on boot - Post #72
Direct download link - Post #74
Installing clone of gNatty on system with RAID array - Post #89
Explanation/description of extensions in gNatty Pack - Post #782
Good format for requesting help - #484
(work in progress)

Download links:

Deleted links, removed torrents from linuxtracker.org * 30 Dec 2011

Link to F.P. Murphy's extension repository (http://www.fpmurphy.com/gnome-shell-extensions/)

philnice
May 10th, 2011, 02:24 AM
Man, you rock!

cbowman57
May 10th, 2011, 02:33 AM
Man, you rock!

Thanks, hopefully it will run as well for everybody else as it seems to be running for me.

philnice
May 10th, 2011, 02:43 AM
Yea hope that too. And i also hope to see some seeders!

cbowman57
May 10th, 2011, 02:50 AM
Yea hope that too. And i also hope to see some seeders!

Me too.

I think I'm going to make some calls this week and see if I can get an internet provider that doesn't throttle my connection. I'm doing what I can to get a complete iso out in the wild but my connection is killing me tonight. :(

philnice
May 10th, 2011, 02:58 AM
Ok, since you do all the hard work, i'll keep it on as long as my pc is on. I'll be online for the next 4 hours surely. Else, if needed, i have two accounts (rapidshare and fileshare) so i could drop it in there as well. Edit: 4shared is the second (and the right) one.

cbowman57
May 10th, 2011, 03:03 AM
Ok, since you do all the hard work, i'll keep it on as long as my pc is on. I'll be online for the next 4 hours surely. Else, if needed, i have two accounts (rapidshare and fileshare) so i could drop it in there as well.

I've never done it but rapidshare & fileshare allow files that big? Great, hopefully you'll get one of the first copies off the torrent.

I was going to say let's see how it goes but WTH, if it works ok when you get it go ahead and put it somewhere high speed.

Thanks guys!

philnice
May 10th, 2011, 03:19 AM
I've never done it but rapidshare & fileshare allow files that big? Great, hopefully you'll get one of the first copies off the torrent.

I was going to say let's see how it goes but WTH, if it works ok when you get it go ahead and put it somewhere high speed.

Thanks guys!
according to 4shared the size limit is 5120 MB... So, this souldn't be the case. Lol!
Conclusion: who ever read this, please help by seeding!

philnice
May 10th, 2011, 04:49 AM
Oh man i'm that close to make a separate post asking for seeders. I saw somebody else done that in here already! :mrgreen:

23dornot23d
May 10th, 2011, 04:54 AM
I have a download speed of 44kb/s ... will take 5 hours ...... here ..... but will leave it up and running once its here .....

philnice
May 10th, 2011, 05:00 AM
I have a download speed of 44kb/s ... will take 5 hours ...... here ..... but will leave it up and running once its here .....
Thanks man. i'm going to yell about it in the irc to catch some people.

cbowman57
May 10th, 2011, 05:19 AM
Great, I've paused everything else to help get that first copy out there. You guys should have it to play with by tomorrow I guess.

philnice
May 10th, 2011, 05:26 AM
Great, I've paused everything else to help get that first copy out there. You guys should have it to play with by tomorrow I guess.
Goood, and depends. It's almost "tomorrow" where i live. :mrgreen: Ok, when it finished i'm gonna give it a quick try, and then start uploading. i'll post the link here once i have it.

satanselbow
May 10th, 2011, 10:12 AM
Hey good work!

I'm just having a play with the mini.iso / G3 ppa and the perfectminimal script to try and get a gnome-shell mini one on the go ;)

Have you given up on remastersys altogether? And any top tips for getting the best out of UCK?

Kudos my friend kudos :popcorn:

cbowman57
May 10th, 2011, 11:02 AM
Hey good work!

I'm just having a play with the mini.iso / G3 ppa and the perfectminimal script to try and get a gnome-shell mini one on the go ;)

Have you given up on remastersys altogether? And any top tips for getting the best out of UCK?

Kudos my friend kudos :popcorn:

I've thought about trying the mini.iso again, but I think I'll wait until I get a faster connection.

No, haven't given up on Remastersys altogether, I may dust it off again. No real tips for UCK, it's really straight forward. Basically what it does is mount the iso you want for a base, then mounts the squash.fs into it's own little environment. From there you have a couple options, native language, remove languages, remove windows files (wubi & crap). Then you have the option of using a terminal console or synaptic, you can alternate back & forth, it's not an all or nothing proposition. What I have been doing is using both to add ppa's, updates & upgrades. Remove packages, install drivers, etc.. When you get done with that you just click another button and it reassembles an iso for you containing all the changes. For someone that really knows how to use it they may be able to add files, change defaults, edit scripts, but I'm not certain of that.

As an example, the iso I created today is absolutely up to date as of this past afternoon. It contains one of the latest Nvidia & ATI video drivers installed. I added ubuntu tweak, synapse & IIRC xfce4-panel (it makes a nice vertical dock among other things), also included the minimal LXDE desktop that was pulled in with lxdm.

I don't know if it's going to work or not but I'm in the process of trying to remaster LMDE (Linux Mint Debian Edition) with gnome 3 installed, though anything might happen considering I have to dip into their experimental repositories to get it. Might not build, or it might do nothing. :)

I'm having fun though, this has got me using software that I didn't even know existed a couple weeks ago.

satanselbow
May 10th, 2011, 11:49 AM
I'm having fun though, this has got me using software that I didn't even know existed a couple weeks ago.

I'm sure learning how to break stuff :D

UCK needs a LiveISO to start from and won't play with the mini.ISO :(

cbowman57
May 10th, 2011, 11:56 AM
I'm sure learning how to break stuff :D

LOL!

UCK needs a LiveISO to start from and won't play with the mini.ISO :(

I wondered about that, there might be some other software that will do it.

BTW, were you able to grab a copy of gNatty yet? I see that at least a couple people have so far.

23dornot23d
May 10th, 2011, 12:48 PM
I have it now ...... and will try seeding it ..... downloaded it with Miro ..... and not sure how to
seed it from that ....

But I have Vuze ,,,,, Transmission .... Ktorrent and Ctorrent .....

Will see what I can do now ..... well .... its now being downloaded in Spain and Russia
( May need some language packs - soon )

cbowman57
May 10th, 2011, 01:18 PM
I have it now ...... and will try seeding it ..... downloaded it with Miro ..... and not sure how to
seed it from that ....

But I have Vuze ,,,,, Transmission .... Ktorrent and Ctorrent .....

Will see what I can do now .....

Cool, I noticed that Miro doesn't show progress at my end. Is that configurable?

23dornot23d
May 10th, 2011, 01:40 PM
Cool, I noticed that Miro doesn't show progress at my end. Is that configurable?

I used a few and linked them once they all were running it seemed to work ok

is now working ok on VUZE for others - these are 2 downloads almost completed
for the Russian one and the Spanish one ,,,

cbowman57
May 10th, 2011, 01:52 PM
I noticed that the progress is going pretty fast, too fast for just my bandwidth.

Thanks guys. BTW, the gNatty Pack can be downloaded from the second link of my signature. I updated the initial post to reflect that.

Added the direct link for the gNatty Pack to the #1 post.

23dornot23d
May 10th, 2011, 01:57 PM
Its going to people at 100kb/sec on mine now - which is not too bad .....

YesWeCan
May 10th, 2011, 02:07 PM
Thanks! :)
Less than 45mins for me.
Can I boot this from a USB stick?

cbowman57
May 10th, 2011, 02:14 PM
Thanks! :)
Less than 45mins for me.
Can I boot this from a USB stick?

Yes you can. I recommend that you use Startup Disk Creator but UNetbootin will probably work fine too.

Glad to know the torrent finally picked up some speed. Some of the people seeding it spent about 8 hours getting off my system. :)

23dornot23d
May 10th, 2011, 02:57 PM
Its going well now .... its in Spain, Russia, Germany, Puerto Rico and Slovenkia now just hope
that everybody keeps it seeding for at least the time they took to download it ......
Small price to pay for all the work put in by Charles ...... great work .... ty ..... ;)

cbowman57
May 10th, 2011, 03:05 PM
Its going well now .... its in Spain, Russia, Germany, Puerto Rico and Slovenkia now just hope
that everybody keeps it seeding for at least the time they took to download it ......
Small price to pay for all the work put in by Charles ...... great work .... ty ..... ;)

Ok, the suspense is killing me. Have you tried booting it up yet?

23dornot23d
May 10th, 2011, 03:22 PM
Forgot about that part - too busy making sure it gets out there , lols ....

I trust that its ok this time and am just burning it now ...... 10 more minutes and I will
be able to tell you thats if someone else does not beat me to it ......

Will have to clear some space out on a drive though to install it ...... so that could take
a little longer before I know ;) ....... brb :)

YesWeCan
May 10th, 2011, 03:24 PM
Ok, the suspense is killing me. Have you tried booting it up yet?
I have the file now. md5sum gives:
924e0e6c5226daa554ac31aae1e8028c

cbowman57
May 10th, 2011, 03:28 PM
I want to find out if it works on other systems as well as it worked here. I'm pretty confident about Nvidia machines, it's everything else that I'm concerned with.

23dornot23d
May 10th, 2011, 03:43 PM
Ok I am running from a live session now .......

Had to do f6 and nomodset ... booting from DVD ......

First Screenshot (http://i.min.us/ikYtyE.png).... changed background

cbowman57
May 10th, 2011, 03:56 PM
Ok I am running from a live session now .......

Had to do f6 and nomodset ... booting from DVD ......

First Screenshot (http://i.min.us/ikYtyE.png).... changed background

That's great, using nomodeset isn't uncommon. It took you right to the gnome shell? That's what it should have done, just want to verify it. Anything strange pop up?

23dornot23d
May 10th, 2011, 04:00 PM
Not exactly plain sailing ..... it has a error message saying it cannot load lubuntu session

but if you click on it it goes into Gnome - shell

Now here is my first problem in live mode

if you log out to change session it asks for a password ..... which is ?

__________________________________________________ ___________

but this may not apply once installed as we will be setting up a new user ....... with their own password
It has various languages too ..... just realized all various English ..... what it changes ?
and a lot of sessions to choose from
I am going to install it now .......... and will let you know how it goes shortly ...... ;)

cbowman57
May 10th, 2011, 04:14 PM
Not exactly plain sailing ..... it has a error message saying it cannot load lubuntu session

but if you click on it it goes into Gnome - shell

Now here is my first problem in live mode

if you log out to change session it asks for a password .....

Yeah, it's pretty much a one trick pony. My goal was a gnome 3 shell live image on Ubuntu. There was no password added anywhere so I don't have one to give you. Once installed I'd reconfigure gdm back to default and ignore lxdm.

sudo dpkg-reconfigure gdm

http://www.techrecipes.net/_media/operatingsystem/ubuntu/ubuntu-switch-gdm.png

* image shows selection of kdm & gdm, it's just an example of what the screen will look like *

23dornot23d
May 10th, 2011, 04:18 PM
Will try to create a new user as that will do it ..... and have already set the root passwd ok ...

So I have full privileges from the live CD and Internet connection

Before I do that I will just try a live install ...... and then report back on what happens
I need to create some space first .......

cbowman57
May 10th, 2011, 04:33 PM
Will try to create a new user as that will do it ..... and have already set the root passwd ok ...

So I have full privileges from the live CD and Internet connection

Before I do that I will just try a live install ...... and then report back on what happens
I need to create some space first .......

From your feedback I think it met my expectations. =D>

Wouldn't recommend it to somebody just trying linux but for experienced users it should work ok.

YesWeCan
May 10th, 2011, 04:40 PM
\\:D/

Worked perfectly 1st time for me (aside from the lubuntu warning).
Cool.

cbowman57
May 10th, 2011, 04:47 PM
\\:D/

Worked perfectly 1st time for me (aside from the lubuntu warning).
Cool.

Fantastic, maybe gNatty will gain some popularity. Get it installed and download the gNatty Pack. :)

YesWeCan
May 10th, 2011, 05:01 PM
Fantastic, maybe gNatty will gain some popularity. Get it installed and download the gNatty Pack. :)
It all seems to work well. I have been getting used to the menu system. I don't have a spare partition to install it to just at the moment.
Unless I overwrite Windows 7, that is.
Easy now...

Great job. Keep it up. =D>

23dornot23d
May 10th, 2011, 05:16 PM
The install is going well and it is just like any Natty standard install so all the instructions
are the same ...... :)

Almost ready to test it ...... its now in the Final Phase .... just waiting for the last
few files to install and then will let you know how it goes .....

Oh by the way this time I forgot to do the modeset ..... and it still went in ok after
waiting a little on the Lubuntu session message ...... once I clicked it ..... it went straight in
too ........

Will let you know about the other sessions once the Install is complete because as a new
user - it should now accept me into the other systems on it .....

Keep up the great work ..... seeing that this is only the second disk you have created
64 bit and now 32 bit ........ your success rate is pretty good ...... as both versions work.

I am looking forward to more ...... ;)

philnice
May 10th, 2011, 05:17 PM
its going well now .... Its in spain, russia, germany, puerto rico and slovenkia now just hope
Small price to pay for all the work put in by charles ...... Great work .... Ty ..... ;)
10+ =d>

philnice
May 10th, 2011, 05:23 PM
....And finally, i can see some serious seeding! cbowman57 when i have it, i'll give it a quick try, (ati nightmare here) and then go straight to 4shared.

23dornot23d
May 10th, 2011, 05:42 PM
Its fully installed now and working ......

I am typing this from it .... two things to note .....

1 ..... Nvidia Graphics were installed straight from boot up ..............

and Ubuntu Tweak is already on it ..... plus the other Tweak tools too ....
Ok now to start testing it ....... ;) :guitar:

One more Install test >>> will it install on my 7 year old Laptop now and run ok .....

satanselbow
May 10th, 2011, 06:04 PM
And lo - on the 8th (ish) day a distro was born :D

23dornot23d
May 10th, 2011, 06:11 PM

Excellent ..... ;) ......
One more thing tested - fallback mode gives you the normal Gnome Classic Desktop ......

As you can tell the Network is working too ...... this is being typed from it ...... so we are working on my 7 year old laptop here
and once I have it installed we will have Gnome-shell working too ..... on this old piece of kit a Acer Aspire 1355 LC
512 mb memory and xga graphics

Please keep the torrent going and seed it after you download please - this is constantly being downloaded now
but I can only have a few at a time on mine ....

YesWeCan
May 10th, 2011, 07:02 PM
So I shrank my Windows partition to make 70GB for gNatty.
Unfortunately, the gNatty installer won't allow me to install to my IDE disk partition, sda2. It recognizes my other 4 SATA disks but I don't want to use any of these. Curiously, it allows me to select /dev/sda for Grub.

BTW, is it possible to put in a decent installer program? I want to have complete control over Grub and I want it to explain everything it intends to do and get my confirmation before it does it.

It also reports a System Problem after booting the USB and after I quit the installer it reported unexpected Gnome shell shutdown. It still seems to carry on working, however.

23dornot23d
May 10th, 2011, 08:10 PM
I noticed that the installer is the same as the Natty one .......

So I installed it using >>> Something Else

which was the 3rd option down on my screen ......

Then when it gets past the Location Keyboard settings ...... and checks the drives connected to the system

I then choose the area I have previously set up using gparted ...... ( thats just me though )

A routine I find hard to break ......
I always set the partitions up prior to any install .....

Then just point to the correct partition and change the bot drive >>> which always appears under the
partition listing in the installer ...... its a drop down menu ..... and you pick where you want
the boot partition to be ........

After that you pretty much just leave it to do its thing ......

I get a error about the Session after boot ........ which is the same one we get from the live CD

It continues past this though and then works alright ,,,,,,

I should imagine if any people get it dropping to Classic on the old laptop from (live CD mode) and into

LXDE on my desktop (installed) after the error just do ALT + F2

gnome-shell --replace

A graphics driver issue that needs sorting ...... will possibly drop it to Classic or LXDE

I saw that error on the old laptop I used too ...... but on that one it dropped to the Classic mode ....
but thinking about it - I was also running from the Live CD ..... so thats why Classic mode
The other was from the Install and that drops into LXDE ...... but Gnome Shell WORKS

just by doing ALT + F2

gnome-shell --replace

or you can log out (now its installed) and change sessions as you would normally from the login screen

Quite a few choices already set up there , and this is pretty fast too on an older system ......

Update ( do not install onto a terra hard drive and try using with a 7 year old laptop - as the bios does
not know what to do with it so even though I got it installed - I cannot boot from that )
There is only a 40 Gig drive on my old laptop so finding room is going to be hard ,,,,,

As I do like the look of the Tron theme someone has produced for Gnome Shell (http://xtrabuntu.blogspot.com/2011/01/gnome-shell-tron-legacy.html)

I just used the Wallpaper from here wallpaper (http://www.deviantart.com/users/outgoing?http://www.moviedeskback.com/2010/07/awesome-tronlegacy-wallpapers.html) for now as that looks like the old setup ...... but no doubt
we can achive something similar

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/6396/screenshot17p.png

may have to wipe Linux Mint off of it now ;)

cbowman57
May 10th, 2011, 10:02 PM
It all seems to work well. I have been getting used to the menu system. I don't have a spare partition to install it to just at the moment.
Unless I overwrite Windows 7, that is.
Easy now...

Great job. Keep it up. =D>

Resize one, all you need is 5-10Gb to try it out. I'm assuming that you already have some linux installations on HD. From the live image you can't really play with themes or extensions.

Glad that it's up & running without serious glitches though.

YesWeCan
May 10th, 2011, 10:06 PM
That TRON desktop looks nice.

Yes, I thought it was the Natty installer. ;)
Just wondering how else I can install. Can I, say, copy the USB stick files onto my HD and then boot it manually using the USB's Grub? Then how would I proceed after that?

cbowman57
May 10th, 2011, 10:07 PM
....And finally, i can see some serious seeding! cbowman57 when i have it, i'll give it a quick try, (ati nightmare here) and then go straight to 4shared.

Yeah, an ATI system will be a challenge. I'll cross my fingers. :)

cbowman57
May 10th, 2011, 10:20 PM
So I shrank my Windows partition to make 70GB for gNatty.
Unfortunately, the gNatty installer won't allow me to install to my IDE disk partition, sda2. It recognizes my other 4 SATA disks but I don't want to use any of these. Curiously, it allows me to select /dev/sda for Grub.

Did you create a swap partition, or does one already exist? I don't usually use a swap partition but I noticed during the alpha/beta stage with Natty that it demanded one or it would not install. I just created a small one & haven't had any problems since.

Something I do on my system is to create fairly small linux partitions for installation and separate partitions for my Downloads & Music, etc.. then I use mnt/bind in fstab to mount them in my home folders. So I have about 8-9 linux installations that all share "folders". (I do a lot of installations and don't like shuffling things around)

BTW, is it possible to put in a decent installer program? I want to have complete control over Grub and I want it to explain everything it intends to do and get my confirmation before it does it.

Unfortunately it's not, creating or adapting installers I'll leave up to the mother distro.

You could skip installing the loader, or install the loader to the install partition, though it will give some warnings like that, especially grub 1.99~, however they are more informative than critical.

It also reports a System Problem after booting the USB and after I quit the installer it reported unexpected Gnome shell shutdown. It still seems to carry on working, however.

Yes, there is a small little bug, but it doesn't seem critical. Once it's installed you should be able to just do a sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade to bring everything up to date cure that. You can try sudo apt-get install -f if a package is stubborn about upgrading.

cbowman57
May 10th, 2011, 10:27 PM
I noticed that the installer is the same as the Natty one .......

So I installed it using >>> Something Else

which was the 3rd option down on my screen ......

Then when it gets past the Location Keyboard settings ...... and checks the drives connected to the system

I then choose the area I have previously set up using gparted ...... ( thats just me though )
may have to wipe Linux Mint off of it now ;)

Yeah, I've played with the Tron themes too, I like the color blending. Have you tried installing in another language (French for example)? I think it will work, just have to download language packs during installation.

It's looking really good, thanks for giving it a good thrashing.

Good tip, alt-f2 then gnome-shell --replace is our friend. ;)

cbowman57
May 10th, 2011, 10:31 PM

I really like using Ubuntu, but don't care for having my desktop dictated by Canonical. Have you tried it out yet? Initial feedback is pretty promising.

And I REALLY get tired of the, "try Fedora or Suse, gnome shell is installed by default.." comments. The Ubuntu community might be a little behind but we can cover the distance in a hurry. :)

23dornot23d
May 10th, 2011, 11:09 PM
Yeah, I've played with the Tron themes too, I like the color blending.

Tron theme .... always likes the gradient blues and blacks as a desktop ......

Have you tried installing in another language (French for example)? I think it will work, just have to download language packs during installation.

Yep I noticed we had choice of language on install .....
I am pretty sure that will work ok ...... but can give it a run tomorrow ......

It's looking really good, thanks for giving it a good thrashing.

Good tip, alt-f2 then gnome-shell --replace is our friend. :wink:

Your welcome ..... am enjoying it ..... and learning along the way too ....
remastersys and the torrents ..... hardly ever touched them before.
Would like to learn more about how the CD/DVD boot system works ...... :confused:

And I REALLY get tired of the, "try Fedora or Suse, gnome shell is installed by default.." comments.

Me too ....
I have both Fedora and Suse ..... and am quite happy where I am here ..... ;)

Lots of options and the Ubuntu Forum is a great place for open working / learning .

YesWeCan
May 10th, 2011, 11:17 PM
This is fun. My /sda is a SATA drive, not IDE. It's been a while. I have a 4GB swap partition too. The Natty installer would not recognize it at all even though Disk Utility and Gparted saw it. So I copied everything from the boot USB stick to my sda2 partition and then manually booted it. That's what I am using right now.

This may all be a waste of time as I have not officially installed it. But I am amusing myself. But if anyone knows what I have to do, if anything, to make this "properly installed" then I would be grateful.

Meanwhile, I suppose I should try an update.

23dornot23d
May 10th, 2011, 11:51 PM
This is fun. My /sda is a SATA drive, not IDE. It's been a while.
I have a 4GB swap partition too. The Natty installer would not recognize it at all even though
Disk Utility and Gparted saw it. So I copied everything from the boot USB stick to my sda2 partition
and then manually booted it. That's what I am using right now.

This may all be a waste of time as I have not officially installed it. But I am amusing myself.
But if anyone knows what I have to do, if anything, to make this "properly installed" then I would be grateful.

Meanwhile, I suppose I should try an update.

It sounds from what you said earlier that you have a few hard drives ..... do you have
a USB hard drive .... as I find these invaluable for trying new things out on ....

Its just a case of unplugging one and plugging another in to go from system to system
and on each of mine I also have a choice of many systems too .....

Just a thought as they are a safe-ish way to install and keep separate from other
things ..... just unplug when you do not need them .....

I have 4 now and the prices keep dropping for these too ..... the Seagate 500Gig ones
are good IMHO .... just a thought .

( If you use Windows a lot still ..... there lies a problem .... setting the boot up is never going to be easy )

My worry was always losing Windows as there were a few programs I thought I needed ..... but once I did a
whole new World opened up and I really did start to enjoy Linux.

If Windows is a concern ..... try a 500Gig USB drive out ..... you should not be disappointed.

Other wise some one like Old Fred (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=852711) or Drs305 (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=223945) are the ones that appear to know more about the boot process than most ......
check any of there threads out .... you will see some good answers to awkward problems for booting grub2 and problems
with disk structures too.

A good page to checkout is here >>> LINK (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1195275)

YesWeCan
May 11th, 2011, 12:02 AM
It sounds from what you said earlier that you have a few hard drives ..... do you have
a USB hard drive .... as I find these invaluable for trying new things out on ....
Good suggestions. I have a couple of WD USB drives but I use them for backups.

I am a Ubuntu convert. I normally run Lynx off a RAID10 array. I keep Win7 on its own 160GB disk for emergency use and I just created a 70GB ext4 partition on it and a 4GB swap for gNatty. The trouble was that the USB stick gNatty installer would not see the 160GB drive (sda). It would see my 4 RAID drives. Why - I have no idea. So this prevented me from using the installer. Instead, I just rsync'd the USB root directory and children to the HD partition and then manually booted it using my Lynx Grub bootloader (and I have now added it to the menu).

So far so good. I had to create a user for myself and then I disabled the root user. I had to set the language up. Update Manager installed 31 updates. Things seem to work "as if" I had done a proper install process.

What I am wondering is what does the Ubuntu installer do that I haven't done? :-s

23dornot23d
May 11th, 2011, 12:28 AM
Sounds like you have it sorted now then ......

Start adding things to it and see what happens ..... the first thing I noticed was the

Themes tab is not showing for the 32 bit version .... not sure why yet - will have to check
that the extensions are installed.

Have you tried adding themes yet to it ..... Cbowman .... mentioned a addon pack

I am wondering what this is ....... will wait till he is on again to find out how to add
themes ..... as the old way might not be the same now ....

We can move forward and start to sort things out ....... see what breaks ...... can always
re-install or set-up from the CD now ..... so no real problem.

Have fun ..... ;)

YesWeCan
May 11th, 2011, 12:31 AM
I did the dpkg thing and the theme packs and then rebooted. Comes up in a stripy blue gnome login screen but with no login entry area and is completely frozen. Managed to do a ctrl alt f2 or something and am now at a shell prompt.

23dornot23d
May 11th, 2011, 12:38 AM
There may lie the difference between the Installed version and the copy of the Live CD

CBowman did mention this in this Thread ..... LINK (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=10797989&postcount=47)

I cannot really check the Themes out till tomorrow ..... but I have them running on
3 systems already ....

If its frozen how difficult is it for you to reload it back up again ..... from the CD.

Will be working on this tomorrow .... and hopefully we can talk with Cbowman about the
Themes ..... and Extensions ....

YesWeCan
May 11th, 2011, 12:43 AM
Sure I can start again from scratch. I'd rather just reinstall gnome or something from the CLI but I am not sure if this is an option or what the command would be. When at the frozen login screen the mouse pointer moves but nothing else works, except ctrl-alt-F1 to get a shell.

23dornot23d
May 11th, 2011, 12:50 AM
Not completely sure on whether or not this will work or not .......we did it before ....

but not sure what will happen or if it will work - but there is one way to find out I guess

if you want to .......

sudo apt-get install ppa-purge

sudo ppa-purge ppa:gnome3-team/gnome3
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gnome3-team/gnome3

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install aptitude
sudo aptitude update
sudo aptitude install gir1.2-mutter-3.0
sudo aptitude install gnome-session

But this will not prove anything with the Dvd version ...... but it is something to do before tomorrow

If it does not work ..... install from the Dvd ..... ( its working ...... and many Peers now )

You can always re-install again from the Dvd or just run it live from the Dvd

cbowman57
May 11th, 2011, 01:12 AM
What I am wondering is what does the Ubuntu installer do that I haven't done? :-s

Probably nothing, other than give locale & partitioning options. Sounds like you're running a HDD version of a USB live.

But if it let you create users, update, etc.. it sounds like you do have a "real" installation to me.

As for the SATA thing, my guess is that there is a bug, maybe in mdadm(?) that is disabling SATA and giving preference to your array. Maybe not a bug? Perhaps done on purpose to make sure people don't inadvertently destroy their array, though anyone running an array is probably experienced enough not to hose their system. :)

philnice
May 11th, 2011, 01:14 AM
First things first, congratulations to cbowman57 excellent work. I chose to go with the fglrx driver and things lag a lot. I can't do something about it right now, as i'm loading the iso up to my 4shared account as promised. Once its done, i'm gonna try to purge the fglrx and install the ati driver. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Currently i have to move the mousse everytime i write something. Oh i forgot. I.ve already installed, along with my 10.10 install. :)

cbowman57
May 11th, 2011, 01:25 AM
Sounds like you have it sorted now then ......

Start adding things to it and see what happens ..... the first thing I noticed was the

Themes tab is not showing for the 32 bit version .... not sure why yet - will have to check
that the extensions are installed.

Have you tried adding themes yet to it ..... Cbowman .... mentioned a addon pack

I am wondering what this is ....... will wait till he is on again to find out how to add
themes ..... as the old way might not be the same now ....

We can move forward and start to sort things out ....... see what breaks ...... can always
re-install or set-up from the CD now ..... so no real problem.

Have fun ..... ;)

No, unlike using Remastersys I couldn't figure out how to pre-install that stuff. The 2d link of my signature will take you to the gNatty Pack (tell me if it doesn't work, it's just SkyDrive). My primitive solution was to create a tarball of my ~/.themes & ~/.local/share/gnome-shell/extensions folders. Also included is the gnome-shell-user-themes-extension~.deb. I've made a couple tweaks to the themes & theme selector, there are 8 functional shell themes in there, I modified Atolm for a narrower top panel. Theme selector displays 4 columns instead of the original 3. For the extensions I compressed each one separately, just place them in the extensions folder and extract the ones you want to use. Also edited the metadata.json to make them a little more forgiving for build versions, I may have missed one or two. The edit consisted of simply changing version from something like 3.0.1 to simply 3.0 so minor revision changes would stop breaking the extension.

Basically just trying to consolidate some of the tweaks I've made over the past month or so.

YesWeCan
May 11th, 2011, 01:27 AM
Probably nothing, other than give locale & partitioning options. Sounds like you're running a HDD version of a USB live.
I ended up starting over. So now I am in my HD live USB session :P
It's all educational. I guess it stands to reason that when you run a live USB/CD it actually installs itself to RAM. So I am simply copying the RAM installation. It all seems normal enough and I can do updates and so on.

I am not sure the correct way to get rid of the "live session user".

I am not sure which step broke my login last time.

Your theory of a bug may be right. The funny thing is that the installer did not recognize my 4 disk array as an array, just as 4 disks. And it invited me to install to one of them. Furthermore, it claimed there were no existing OSes on any of my disks, even though I had Ubuntu on the array and Windows on this HD. So something up the spout there.

philnice
May 11th, 2011, 01:35 AM
One last thing, i can't see my sound card under sound hardware - it's completely empty in there. Although alsa mixer does detect it as usual. What should i do to reload the sound applet?

cbowman57
May 11th, 2011, 01:39 AM
First things first, congratulations to cbowman57 excellent work. I chose to go with the fglrx driver and things lag a lot. I can't do something about it right now, as i'm loading the iso up to my 4shared account as promised. Once its done, i'm gonna try to purge the fglrx and install the ati driver. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Currently i have to move the mousse everytime i write something. Oh i forgot. I.ve already installed, along with my 10.10 install. :)

Thanks philnice. I was unsure of what would happen using ATI. Did it default to gnome shell? I've run into the same situation you did even with my Nvidia card, doing an upgrade & installing the correct driver will fix it right up. Did you try the nomdodeset option when you booted up? Also, if you don't use it you can go ahead and do a sudo apt-get purge nvidia-current to get rid of it.

I noticed that the leeching has virtually slowed to a trickle, I think I'm only uploading to one peer now.

If you guys are satisfied with it the way it is go ahead and spread the word.

One thing I use ALOT is synapse, for me it makes the shell complete. I just map it to the menu key on my keyboard and hitting it is like second nature. I also have Avant Window Navigator as a dock/launcher, I don't really need it but I think it eases the transition. (Used both on Unity the same way)

cbowman57
May 11th, 2011, 01:46 AM
One last thing, i can't see my sound card under sound hardware - it's completely empty in there. Although alsa mixer does detect it as usual. What should i do to reload the sound applet?

You talking about what is shown in this thumbnail? I don't know for sure, have you tried using Additonal Drivers and see what is detected?

I haven't encountered that error personally so I can't offer anything other than that.

philnice
May 11th, 2011, 01:58 AM
No i did not use nomodeset ( i don't even know what that is to be honest), just booted the live cd and started the installer from the menu. I did have some complaints about the graphics at first live boot and it went to fallback mode directly, but when i added the fglrx gave me the shell straight away. Perhaps i should clean any leftovers by the previous driver and purge the nvidia one as you said. Then i'm gonna try the ati (open source).
But i don't expect too much to be honest. Unity and, gnome 3 have equally problems it isn't a secret. But at least you have included every possible option regarding the DE.
What else you could do??!! :)

cbowman57
May 11th, 2011, 02:04 AM
It's all educational. I guess it stands to reason that when you run a live USB/CD it actually installs itself to RAM. So I am simply copying the RAM installation. It all seems normal enough and I can do updates and so on.

Your theory of a bug may be right. The funny thing is that the installer did not recognize my 4 disk array as an array, just as 4 disks. And it invited me to install to one of them. Furthermore, it claimed there were no existing OSes on any of my disks, even though I had Ubuntu on the array and Windows on this HD. So something up the spout there.

Installation is the only way I know to get rid of "live session user"

Here's an idea. Will it break anything if you unplug the array or can it be disabled in bios?

philnice
May 11th, 2011, 02:04 AM
You talking about what is shown in this thumbnail? I don't know for sure, have you tried using Additonal Drivers and see what is detected?

I haven't encountered that error personally so I can't offer anything other than that.
Yep that's the one. I'll check the additional drivers section although, soundcards won't be shown normally in there. Once the iso is up on 4shared, i'm gonna try another DE to see if that happens.
Keep an eye on your messages i'm gonna send you the link of the iso when its done, so you don't have to check my posts to find it.

cbowman57
May 11th, 2011, 02:09 AM
No i did not use nomodeset ( i don't even know what that is to be honest), just booted the live cd and started the installer from the menu. I did have some complaints about the graphics at first live boot and it went to fallback mode directly, but when i added the fglrx gave me the shell straight away. Perhaps i should clean any leftovers by the previous driver and purge the nvidia one as you said. Then i'm gonna try the ati (open source).
But i don't expect too much to be honest. Unity and, gnome 3 have equally problems it isn't a secret. But at least you have included every possible option regarding the DE.
What else you could do??!! :)

From the startup menu (grub screen, whatever it's called) if you press f6 you get boot options, one is nomodeset (or nomodset, not sure which exactly but it's obvious). Using that has helped some people with initial boot problems relating to video drivers. Don't know if choosing that would have made your experience different or not.

philnice
May 11th, 2011, 02:14 AM
From the startup menu (grub screen, whatever it's called) if you press f6 you get boot options, one is nomodeset (or nomodset, not sure which exactly but it's obvious). Using that has helped some people with initial boot problems relating to video drivers. Don't know if choosing that would have made your experience different or not.
Ok i 'll give it a try. Thanks!

philnice
May 11th, 2011, 06:19 AM
Ok i 'll give it a try. Thanks!
ooupss i need 75 posts in order to leave you a message so, i'll leave the link here instead.
Sorry for being late, i accidentally closed the window twice while uploading...... Lol!!!

https://www.4shared.com/file/S4quZcoK/gNatty_Gnome_i686_v1_Live.html
Also, i've added premium advantages for this so it should be faster while transferring.

cbowman57
May 11th, 2011, 06:44 AM
ooupss i need 75 posts in order to leave you a message so, i'll leave the link here instead.
Sorry for being late, i accidentally closed the window twice while uploading...... Lol!!!

https://www.4shared.com/file/S4quZcoK/gNatty_Gnome_i686_v1_Live.html
Also, i've added premium advantages for this so it should be faster while transferring.

Got it. Thanks a lot, have been updating first message, now includes this link.

philnice
May 11th, 2011, 07:08 AM
Got it. Thanks a lot, have been updating first message, now includes this link.
Np, now let's spread the news a bit!!! :)

cbowman57
May 11th, 2011, 07:22 AM
Np, now let's spread the news a bit!!! :)

YES!

According to linuxtracker the torrent has been downloaded 23 times as of a couple minutes ago. So either we have 20 people that used it & hated it, tried it and got frustrated, or are lurking here in the shadows. :)

Do I dare create a facebook gNatty Gnome page?

philnice
May 11th, 2011, 07:41 AM
YES!

According to linuxtracker the torrent has been downloaded 23 times as of a couple minutes ago. So either we have 20 people that used it & hated it, tried it and got frustrated, or are lurking here in the shadows. :)

Do I dare create a facebook gNatty Gnome page?
Great news! I'm in the shadows as well, that's the beauty we all seek in linux i think..!
-Do you? Oh, i think you do, and - maybe- you should??!!! :)

cbowman57
May 11th, 2011, 07:58 AM
I think I'll wait to see how much interest develops here, then re-think the FB idea.

Glad this drew you out of the shadows. :)

cecilpierce
May 11th, 2011, 11:30 AM
I think I'll wait to see how much interest develops here, then re-think the FB idea.

Glad this drew you out of the shadows. :)

just came out of the shadow (bed couldn't sleep)to seed some more, looks like its catching on slow but sure.
I had a hard time finding the thread on this, the forum has changed since Oneiric came in.
I was so glad to see gNatty to replace a g3Fedora that was a total waste, Thanks, Cecil

cbowman57
May 11th, 2011, 11:40 AM
just came out of the shadow (bed couldn't sleep)to seed some more, looks like its catching on slow but sure.
I had a hard time finding the thread on this, the forum has changed since Oneiric came in.
I was so glad to see gNatty to replace a g3Fedora that was a total waste, Thanks, Cecil

Glad to have you Cecil. Apparently whatever problems you initially had with gNatty were easily overcome?

I don't know what to suggest as far as finding this thread, I tried to make it as easy to find as possible by including it in the torrent comments and the description on linuxtracker.

Thanks for having the patience to download it & I really appreciate you seeding it. If it works I hope people continue to seed, if it's junk I expect it to die a slow death on the internet. :)

cecilpierce
May 11th, 2011, 12:00 PM
I'm using transmission and it don't have a lot of info but constantly 3 to 4 dl all the time, I have not had a lot of time to try it but it beats the heck out of suse & fedora!
From what I've seen though, got a lot of questions, haha
I like foolin with stuff that I don't know about!

cbowman57
May 11th, 2011, 12:04 PM
I'm using transmission and it don't have a lot of info but constantly 3 to 4 dl all the time, I have not had a lot of time to try it but it beats the heck out of suse & fedora! From what I've seen though, got a lot of questions, haha

Don't know if we have all the answers but fire away.

I like foolin with stuff that I don't know about!

Me too. :lolflag:

I guess we're both in the right place.

cbowman57
May 11th, 2011, 12:19 PM
Been familiarizing myself a little better with the forum features. Tweaked my signature, added an avatar & most importantly tried to tidy up post #1 of this thread.

You might want to review it occasionally for any updates, or to suggest things that belong there.

My goal is to make that initial post as informative as possible with the new arrivals in mind.

Just had a thought regarding the avatar, if any of you artsy types comes up with a gNatty avatar I'd like a copy. Maybe something like what I'm using but incorporating some Ubuntu purple might be nice, the orange as an accent? :)

I dunno, just thinking out loud.

cbowman57
May 11th, 2011, 12:33 PM
I don't have the skills but follow along with me on this idea:

The same glossy background but in the ubuntu purple, not sure what color the foot should be. I like it black but that might get lost in purple. Ahh, what if the black foot was outlined in orange?

Add gNatty, or replace GNOME, with gNatty in matching font & in a complementary color?

Who knows, maybe we'll end up merging this with UGR, or they could adopt the artwork.

waspbloke
May 11th, 2011, 01:01 PM
I've been lurking in the shadows :) seeded both the 64 and 32 for the last 24 hours and despite my appalling upload speed, still managed to supply half a gig of data.

(the gNatty logo needs a cartoony gnat really... http://www.google.co.uk/search?as_q=gnat&um=1&hl=en&client=opera&rls=en-GB&biw=1093&bih=656&tbm=isch&btnG=Google+Search&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&imgtype=&imgsz=&imgw=&imgh=&imgar=&as_filetype=&imgc=&as_sitesearch=123rf.com&as_rights=&safe=images&as_st=y
...but better)

Anyway, unfortuantely I have to report that both my ATI laptops (a 32 and 64) won't play nicely. I haven't completely run out of ideas yet so I'll save asking for help for the moment, although I'm pretty sure my 6yo lappy just won't get there. My nice posh 64bit Dell really should be able to squeeze some sort of usable system out tho' so I'll persevere with that. Any general recommendations appreciated.

cbowman57
May 11th, 2011, 01:15 PM
I did the dpkg thing and the theme packs and then rebooted. Comes up in a stripy blue gnome login screen but with no login entry area and is completely frozen. Managed to do a ctrl alt f2 or something and am now at a shell prompt.

Ok, not sure where you're at with this right now but it sounds like the live session logon bug bit you since it's an unorthodox installation(?) You could try the sudo dpkg-reconfigure again to switch back to lxdm if that worked best for you.

Playing with time zones and work schedules can get a little confusing but I'll try to keep up with you guys. :)

cbowman57
May 11th, 2011, 01:21 PM

Just tried that 4shared account, probably the fastest way to grab a copy at the moment. For someone with a fast connection it would probably download in well under 30 minutes.

Thanks again for putting it up there for everybody.

cbowman57
May 11th, 2011, 01:27 PM

I believe that you have to use the Ubuntu alternate iso to install to a RAID array. Been quite some time since I messed with RAID but that's the way it had to be done. I think the Linux Mint live installer had RAID support built in but it's been so long that I'm not positive about that. For the fun of it I am considering adding gnome shell to the latest Linux Mint 11 rc iso that I just finally downloaded. Without Unity on it they might have whipped the gdm problem, we'll see what happens. Might take me a couple days before I try to tackle that one.

cbowman57
May 11th, 2011, 01:50 PM
I've been lurking in the shadows :) seeded both the 64 and 32 for the last 24 hours and despite my appalling upload speed, still managed to supply half a gig of data.

I appreciate that, thanks mate!

(the gNatty logo needs a cartoony gnat really... http://www.google.co.uk/search?as_q=gnat&um=1&hl=en&client=opera&rls=en-GB&biw=1093&bih=656&tbm=isch&btnG=Google+Search&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&imgtype=&imgsz=&imgw=&imgh=&imgar=&as_filetype=&imgc=&as_sitesearch=123rf.com&as_rights=&safe=images&as_st=y
...but better)

Originally had something like that in mind as well, but it has to exude some strength and personality. Wouldn't want a wimpy looking logo. :D

Anyway, unfortuantely I have to report that both my ATI laptops (a 32 and 64) won't play nicely. I haven't completely run out of ideas yet so I'll save asking for help for the moment, although I'm pretty sure my 6yo lappy just won't get there. My nice posh 64bit Dell really should be able to squeeze some sort of usable system out tho' so I'll persevere with that. Any general recommendations appreciated.

Ok, the Natty Gnome & gNatty are quite a bit different. Can I assume that you tried Natty on the 64-bit machine & gNatty on the 32-bit? If so we need to approach each set of problems individually. The 64-bit IMO is actually the stronger distribution but it has a serious problem with the gdm that prevents login of any kind, but 23dornot23d did find a solution to overcome it.

.. well instead of rambling on I'll wait for your response then we can work on finding a kludge to get around them.

philnice
May 11th, 2011, 03:29 PM
Just tried that 4shared account, probably the fastest way to grab a copy at the moment. For someone with a fast connection it would probably download in well under 30 minutes.

Thanks again for putting it up there for everybody.
You're very welcome my friend. I'll make sure i have the torrent on once i'm online to help that too. :)

philnice
May 11th, 2011, 03:40 PM

...but better)

I've noticed an incredible speed increase earlier just before shuttdown, but i didn't tweak anything really as i remember. I'll follow the same path anyway, and report back. Having that running nicely on ati hardware would be an achievement. :)

23dornot23d
May 11th, 2011, 05:03 PM
@waspbloke

Back with it again ..... the

64 bit (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1750450) one you need to install HTOP

sudo apt-get install HTOP

....... and kill off the greeter ...... wait for about 30 secs or so and it will restart gdm ..... press unlock on the login screen and you are into Gnome Shell ........

The 32 bit ..... I had to just use nomodeset on the first screen from live CD to get it to boot ok .....
Then as it boots .....
click on the message that pops up about a problem with sessions ,,,, and it should go straight in ......

Once installed ...... the only error message again should be the Session one ........

Onward ...... just got the 32 bit onto my twin screen .....

All I have really done so far is to ....... start up LXDE ...... change the background to
the Tron Theme from earlier in this thread ....

then

add kdm
sudo apt-get install kdm

add cairo-dock
sudo aptitude install cairo-dock

Now to get the Themes sorted out ......

ok I am going to try to it this way ..... first ...

aptitude install libgtk-3-dev

we have dependency issues .... so I chose to downgrade

Accept this solution? [Y/n/q/?] n
The following actions will resolve these dependencies:

Downgrade the following packages:
1) libxi6 [2:1.4.1-1ubuntu2.1 (now) -> 2:1.4.1-1ubuntu2 (natty)]

Accept this solution? [Y/n/q/?] y
The following packages will be DOWNGRADED:
libxi6
The following NEW packages will be installed:
debhelper{a} html2text{a} libatk1.0-dev{a}

etc .......... but all installed now

Ok we now have themes ..... and we do need to install using the Alien Converted packages
sudo apt-get install gdebi-core

and you have to be root to do it otherwise it fails ........ remember to reboot too

gdebi gnome-shell-extensions-common_3.0.1-2_all.deb
gdebi gnome-shell-extensions-user-theme_3.0.0-6.6_all.deb

;)
The themes are unpacked into a Themes folder in /.local/share/gnome-shell/

cecilpierce
May 11th, 2011, 08:47 PM
@ 23dornot23d

Is this how many aptitude installs >

23dornot23d
May 11th, 2011, 08:59 PM
@ 23dornot23d

Yep ...... that's good yours is cleaner than mine - I had all those packages

I just cut the listing short and added etc ...... ;)

cbowman57
May 11th, 2011, 09:14 PM
@waspbloke
[....]
The themes are unpacked into a Themes folder in /.local/share/gnome-shell/

Are you using an older or newer version of the theme selector? The one I'm using, and the one in the gNatty Pack expect the shell & themes in ~/.themes. Gnome-tweak-tool uses that same directory for metacity themes as well.

Sounds like things are going smoothly on your end.

23dornot23d
May 11th, 2011, 09:16 PM
Yep going well again .... took a long time figuring it out today ..... ;)

smooth now ... wiped some more systems to cater for more versions of it .... to play with

cbowman57
May 11th, 2011, 09:22 PM
@ 23dornot23d

Hi Cecil, I see you are getting a good assist here.

If you don't want to use cairo-dock you can skip that step. (Of course it's too late now) :)

So far we've confirmed that cairo, dockbar, AWN, and xfce4-panel will all work with gnome 3.0.

IIRC AWN & xfce4-panel are pre- installed in gNatty, but only AWN in Natty Gnome.

cbowman57
May 11th, 2011, 09:25 PM
Yep going well again .... took a long time figuring it out today ..... ;)

smooth now ... wiped some more systems to cater for more versions of it .... to play with

Doesn't look like it's taking you very long at all. :)

23dornot23d
May 11th, 2011, 09:32 PM
Its good to have a system where we all start from the same point ...

am playing scrabble in Face book on it at the moment and its fine .... ;)

cbowman57
May 11th, 2011, 09:46 PM
Its good to have a system where we all start from the same point ...

am playing scrabble in Face book on it at the moment and its fine .... ;)

:lolflag:

In another thread a guy was saying that his gnome-shell is running fine (not using gNatty) but he can't use Unity or the classic choices. I replied with a Unity screenshot & told him we're not having that problem here. ;)

philnice
May 11th, 2011, 10:09 PM
Is there anyway i could have the mesa (open source driver) to be shown under additional drivers list and switch between? I know i must remove - purge them normally, i just need it for a quick testing.
I'm now using lxde and i can type faster but still it doesn't respond as it should.
-I have never see a ratio like 1.41 while seeding. I guess all it takes is a good moto... :)

cbowman57
May 11th, 2011, 10:15 PM
Is there anyway i could have the mesa (open source driver) to be shown under additional drivers list and switch between? I know i must remove - purge them normally, i just need it for a quick testing.
I'm now using lxde and i can type faster but still it doesn't respond as it should.
-I have never see a ratio like 1.41 while seeding. I guess all it takes is a good moto... :)

No way that I know of. :(

I ran ATI cards for about 15 years but eventually keeping drivers working, even in Windows, became such a hassle that I went with Nvidia on my last hardware upgrade. I wish they would come up with an elegant solution. When they were bought by AMD I hoped things would change but it seems that they focus on the hardware and drivers/software takes a back seat.

When you find the solution though make sure you tell us about it. :)

cecilpierce
May 11th, 2011, 10:22 PM
question:
I had desktop effects on ubuntu and ubuntu classic and for some reason they only work on classic.
Any idea what happen to ubuntu and compiz, when I open compiz in ubuntu I can't make any checks.

philnice
May 11th, 2011, 10:24 PM
No way that I know of. :(

I ran ATI cards for about 15 years but eventually keeping drivers working, even in Windows, became such a hassle that I went with Nvidia on my last hardware upgrade. I wish they would come up with an elegant solution. When they were bought by AMD I hoped things would change but it seems that they focus on the hardware and drivers/software takes a back seat.

When you find the solution though make sure you tell us about it. :)
It's funny that amd does updates drivers frequently, but...
-Of course i'll be back to report.

philnice
May 11th, 2011, 10:27 PM
question:
I had desktop effects on ubuntu and ubuntu classic and for some reason they only work on classic.
Any idea what happen to ubuntu and compiz, when I open compiz in ubuntu I can't make any checks.
You mean you don't have them on natty? That's strange because you won't have unity running if compiz is disabled.

23dornot23d
May 11th, 2011, 10:46 PM
Possibly needs Alt+f2

compiz --replace
or
unity --reset

maybe .....

I will check mine as we both have similar setups now ........

If you have effects in one they should work in the others too must be one of the compiz settings that's messed up maybe
__________________________________________________ _________________________________________
Am back now .... play scrabble for 2 hours lols ..... and the temps of the Nvidia were great ..... 5 degrees lower than
before ..... the other system was reaching 68 and higher ...... here I am at 63-64 constant .

Drops back to 58-59 after playing scrabble on the Flash game in Firefox .......

cbowman57
May 11th, 2011, 10:49 PM
question:

When you write ubuntu do you mean unity? I'm guessing it's related to the way video is being detected in some way. You could try using Additional Drivers to see what drivers are activated &/or installed.

In gNatty I may have inadvertently introduced a problem by trying to package both the Nvidia & ATI driver. Purge, remove, uninstall the one that doesn't apply. You may have to use synaptic to completely remove it.

Another thing to try is re-installing compiz.

If you are doing frequent upgrades it's also possible that things got temporarily broken somehow.

Try exploring these suggestions and let us know how it goes.

cbowman57
May 11th, 2011, 10:52 PM
Possibly needs Alt+f2

compiz --replace
or
unity --reset

maybe .....

I will check mine as we both have similar setups now ........

If you have effects in one they should work in the others too must be one of the compiz settings that's messed up maybe
__________________________________________________ _________________________________________
Am back now .... play scrabble for 2 hours lols ..... and the temps of the Nvidia were great ..... 5 degrees lower than
before ..... the other system was reaching 68 and higher ...... here I am at 63-64 constant .

Drops back to 58-59 after playing scrabble on the Flash game in Firefox .......

Brilliant!

cbowman57
May 11th, 2011, 10:56 PM
Well, the ricotz ppa just delivered an updated mutter & gnome-3 did the same with nautilus.

Downloaded & installed, going for a reboot. Wish me luck. :)

cecilpierce
May 11th, 2011, 11:04 PM
I think it might have been when I disabled 'Automatic plugin sorting' so I could try the cube, anyhow compiz --replace fixed it, till I screw something else up ! :confused:

philnice
May 11th, 2011, 11:06 PM
I gave mesa a try, and it broke the gnome shell completely - back with the fglrx. It is slightly better now, but not too much. At least my master hd spinns normally.
-cbowman57, i wish you would be online soon again!!!!! LOL!
I'm going to check for updates....

23dornot23d
May 11th, 2011, 11:07 PM
I have just done them too ..... will see what happens now .....

root@keith-MS-7181:/home/keith# aptitude safe-upgrade
Resolving dependencies...
The following packages will be upgraded:
accountsservice gir1.2-mutter-3.0 gir1.2-nautilus-3.0 libaccountsservice0
libgl1-mesa-dri libnautilus-extension-dev libnautilus-extension1 mutter
mutter-common nautilus nautilus-data xserver-xorg-video-intel
xulrunner-2.0-mozjs
13 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 2 not upgraded.
Need to get 16.6 MB of archives. After unpacking 69.6 kB will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n/?] y
Get:1 http://ppa.launchpad.net/gnome3-team/gnome3/ubuntu/ natty/main accountsservice i386 0.6.10-1~natty1 [39.1 kB]
Get:2 http://ppa.launchpad.net/gnome3-team/gnome3/ubuntu/ natty/main libaccountsservice0 i386 0.6.10-1~natty1 [25.5 kB]
Get:3 http://ppa.launchpad.net/ricotz/testing/ubuntu/ natty/main gir1.2-mutter-3.0 i386 3.0.1+git20110509.7d70343c-0~11.04~ricotz0 [20.6 kB]
Get:4 http://ppa.launchpad.net/gnome3-team/gnome3/ubuntu/ natty/main libnautilus-extension-dev i386 1:3.0.1.1-0ubuntu1~build3 [34.4 kB]
Get:5 http://ppa.launchpad.net/gnome3-team/gnome3/ubuntu/ natty/main libnautilus-extension1 i386 1:3.0.1.1-0ubuntu1~build3 [65.8 kB]
Get:6 http://ppa.launchpad.net/gnome3-team/gnome3/ubuntu/ natty/main gir1.2-nautilus-3.0 i386 1:3.0.1.1-0ubuntu1~build3 [5,250 B]
Get:7 http://ppa.launchpad.net/xorg-edgers/ppa/ubuntu/ natty/main libgl1-mesa-dri i386 7.11.0+git20110511.2812b60a-0ubuntu0sarvatt [8,610 kB]
Get:8 http://ppa.launchpad.net/ricotz/testing/ubuntu/ natty/main mutter i386 3.0.1+git20110509.7d70343c-0~11.04~ricotz0 [34.6 kB]
Get:9 http://ppa.launchpad.net/ricotz/testing/ubuntu/ natty/main mutter-common all 3.0.1+git20110509.7d70343c-0~11.04~ricotz0 [1,418 kB]
Get:10 http://ppa.launchpad.net/gnome3-team/gnome3/ubuntu/ natty/main nautilus-data all 1:3.0.1.1-0ubuntu1~build3 [4,036 kB]
Get:11 http://ppa.launchpad.net/gnome3-team/gnome3/ubuntu/ natty/main nautilus i386 1:3.0.1.1-0ubuntu1~build3 [719 kB]
Get:12 http://ppa.launchpad.net/xorg-edgers/ppa/ubuntu/ natty/main xserver-xorg-video-intel i386 2:2.15.0+git20110511.895a46e8-0ubuntu0sarvatt [252 kB]
Get:13 http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-mozilla-daily/ppa/ubuntu/ natty/main xulrunner-2.0-mozjs i386 2.0.2~hg20110501r63440+nobinonly-0ubuntu1~umd1 [1,344 kB]
Fetched 16.6 MB in 19s (844 kB/s)
(Reading database ... 163258 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace accountsservice 0.6.9-2~natty1 (using .../accountsservice_0.6.10-1~natty1_i386.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement accountsservice ...
Preparing to replace libaccountsservice0 0.6.9-2~natty1 (using .../libaccountsservice0_0.6.10-1~natty1_i386.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement libaccountsservice0 ...
Preparing to replace gir1.2-mutter-3.0 3.0.1+git20110504.95f33b36-0~11.04~ricotz0 (using .../gir1.2-mutter-3.0_3.0.1+git20110509.7d70343c-0~11.04~ricotz0_i386.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement gir1.2-mutter-3.0 ...
Preparing to replace libnautilus-extension-dev 1:3.0.1.1-0ubuntu1~build2 (using .../libnautilus-extension-dev_1%3a3.0.1.1-0ubuntu1~build3_i386.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement libnautilus-extension-dev ...
Preparing to replace libnautilus-extension1 1:3.0.1.1-0ubuntu1~build2 (using .../libnautilus-extension1_1%3a3.0.1.1-0ubuntu1~build3_i386.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement libnautilus-extension1 ...
Preparing to replace gir1.2-nautilus-3.0 1:3.0.1.1-0ubuntu1~build2 (using .../gir1.2-nautilus-3.0_1%3a3.0.1.1-0ubuntu1~build3_i386.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement gir1.2-nautilus-3.0 ...
Preparing to replace libgl1-mesa-dri 7.11.0+git20110509.7074801e-0ubuntu0sarvatt (using .../libgl1-mesa-dri_7.11.0+git20110511.2812b60a-0ubuntu0sarvatt_i386.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement libgl1-mesa-dri ...
Preparing to replace mutter 3.0.1+git20110504.95f33b36-0~11.04~ricotz0 (using .../mutter_3.0.1+git20110509.7d70343c-0~11.04~ricotz0_i386.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement mutter ...
Preparing to replace mutter-common 3.0.1+git20110504.95f33b36-0~11.04~ricotz0 (using .../mutter-common_3.0.1+git20110509.7d70343c-0~11.04~ricotz0_all.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement mutter-common ...
Preparing to replace nautilus-data 1:3.0.1.1-0ubuntu1~build2 (using .../nautilus-data_1%3a3.0.1.1-0ubuntu1~build3_all.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement nautilus-data ...
Preparing to replace nautilus 1:3.0.1.1-0ubuntu1~build2 (using .../nautilus_1%3a3.0.1.1-0ubuntu1~build3_i386.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement nautilus ...
Preparing to replace xserver-xorg-video-intel 2:2.15.0+git20110508.3145530f-0ubuntu0sarvatt (using .../xserver-xorg-video-intel_2%3a2.15.0+git20110511.895a46e8-0ubuntu0sarvatt_i386.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement xserver-xorg-video-intel ...
Preparing to replace xulrunner-2.0-mozjs 2.0+nobinonly-0ubuntu1 (using .../xulrunner-2.0-mozjs_2.0.2~hg20110501r63440+nobinonly-0ubuntu1~umd1_i386.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement xulrunner-2.0-mozjs ...
Processing triggers for bamfdaemon ...
Rebuilding /usr/share/applications/bamf.index...
Processing triggers for python-gmenu ...
Rebuilding /usr/share/applications/desktop.en_US.utf8.cache...
Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils ...
Processing triggers for man-db ...
Processing triggers for gconf2 ...
Processing triggers for shared-mime-info ...
Unknown media type in type 'all/all'
Unknown media type in type 'all/allfiles'
Unknown media type in type 'uri/mms'
Unknown media type in type 'uri/mmst'
Unknown media type in type 'uri/mmsu'
Unknown media type in type 'uri/pnm'
Unknown media type in type 'uri/rtspt'
Unknown media type in type 'uri/rtspu'
Unknown media type in type 'interface/x-winamp-skin'
Processing triggers for libglib2.0-0 ...
No such key `exit-with-last-window' in schema `org.gnome.nautilus.preferences' as specified in override file `/usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas/nautilus.gschema.override'; ignoring override for this key.
Processing triggers for hicolor-icon-theme ...
Processing triggers for python-support ...
Setting up libaccountsservice0 (0.6.10-1~natty1) ...
Setting up accountsservice (0.6.10-1~natty1) ...
Setting up gir1.2-mutter-3.0 (3.0.1+git20110509.7d70343c-0~11.04~ricotz0) ...
Setting up libnautilus-extension1 (1:3.0.1.1-0ubuntu1~build3) ...
Setting up libnautilus-extension-dev (1:3.0.1.1-0ubuntu1~build3) ...
Setting up gir1.2-nautilus-3.0 (1:3.0.1.1-0ubuntu1~build3) ...
Setting up libgl1-mesa-dri (7.11.0+git20110511.2812b60a-0ubuntu0sarvatt) ...
Setting up mutter-common (3.0.1+git20110509.7d70343c-0~11.04~ricotz0) ...
Setting up mutter (3.0.1+git20110509.7d70343c-0~11.04~ricotz0) ...
Setting up nautilus-data (1:3.0.1.1-0ubuntu1~build3) ...
Setting up nautilus (1:3.0.1.1-0ubuntu1~build3) ...
Setting up xserver-xorg-video-intel (2:2.15.0+git20110511.895a46e8-0ubuntu0sarvatt) ...
Setting up xulrunner-2.0-mozjs (2.0.2~hg20110501r63440+nobinonly-0ubuntu1~umd1) ...
Processing triggers for libc-bin ...
ldconfig deferred processing now taking place

Current status: 2 updates [-13].
root@keith-MS-7181:/home/keith#

cbowman57
May 11th, 2011, 11:09 PM
That went well, not sure if it's just my imagination but it feels even quicker now. Everything appears to still be working as it should.

Definitely quicker.

23dornot23d
May 11th, 2011, 11:11 PM
I have some testing stuff in mine and just killed it ..... lols :lolflag:

keith@keith-MS-7181:~$ gnome-shell --replace
gnome-shell: error while loading shared libraries: libmozjs.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
keith@keith-MS-7181:~$

Will reboot - might be a glitch .... ;)

cbowman57
May 11th, 2011, 11:16 PM
I gave mesa a try, and it broke the gnome shell completely - back with the fglrx. It is slightly better now, but not too much. At least my master hd spinns normally.
-cbowman57, i wish you would be online soon again!!!!! LOL!
I'm going to check for updates....

Yeah, have you tried some different fglrx flavors?

You might want to disable the xorg-edgers ppa and see what turns up for drivers options.

BTW, that is something everyone might want to consider, when your system runs the way you want it to you can disable some of the additional PPAs and wait for Ubuntu to catch up in the repositories. Just a suggestion.

cbowman57
May 11th, 2011, 11:18 PM
I have some testing stuff in mine and just killed it ..... lols :lolflag:

keith@keith-MS-7181:~$ gnome-shell --replace
gnome-shell: error while loading shared libraries: libmozjs.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
keith@keith-MS-7181:~$

Will reboot - might be a glitch .... ;)

Hopefully a glitch. Looks like it's related to mozilla/firefox maybe?

23dornot23d
May 11th, 2011, 11:18 PM
Back in business and I know why cecil is missing Unity ,,,,, CCSM needs re-installing ....

I also have the compiz-dev too ..... and things are ok now :)

cbowman57
May 11th, 2011, 11:22 PM
Super! I think Cecil said that setting unity back to defaults fixed it, he'd made a change to compiz that unity didn't like.

cecilpierce
May 11th, 2011, 11:23 PM
I did dist-upgrade and network manager and network manager gnome have been held back all day, just notice I don't have it in the top panel and stuff is greyed out ! hmmmm

cecilpierce
May 11th, 2011, 11:26 PM
Super! I think Cecil said that setting unity back to defaults fixed it, he'd made a change to compiz that unity didn't like.

Everything is working fine except for that crappy looking top panel.

cecilpierce
May 11th, 2011, 11:29 PM
Thats funny I did the same thing in classic for the cube as I did in unity worked all day then some upgrade maybe did it ???

try it again later!

23dornot23d
May 11th, 2011, 11:30 PM
I did dist-upgrade and network manager and network manager gnome have been held back all day, just notice I don't have it in the top panel and stuff is greyed out ! hmmmm

Do you have Compiz Settings Manager Installed ..... yet ....

http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/1411/screenshot8s.png

Unity and Compiz are working..... ( The bottom panel you see is because its in LXDE by the way )

cecilpierce
May 11th, 2011, 11:32 PM
Do you have Compiz Settings Manager Installed ..... yet ....

http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/1411/screenshot8s.png

Unity and Compiz are working.....

Yea its always been there and things are ok since I did compiz --replace,
Thanks

DogMatix
May 11th, 2011, 11:35 PM
Seeding now.

Will find time to play tomorrow.

I'm happy with Unity but +1 for this project. Variety is the spice of life.

=D>

cbowman57
May 11th, 2011, 11:36 PM

I rarely look at Unity but I took a screen shot today, just looked at it and noticed mine isn't displayed either. Might be a unity bug, or it may have been introduced with the dist-upgrade, I don't know. Have also noticed a couple network-manager files being held back, that's usually due to a dependency not caught up yet. You definitely have a working network-manager it's just hidden for some reason.

Better off using the simple upgrade instead of dist-upgrade, with this mix of ppa's the results might be unpredictable.

cbowman57
May 11th, 2011, 11:39 PM
Everything is working fine except for that crappy looking top panel.

That is configurable, but for the life of me the "how" escapes me at the moment. Getting old sux! :D

cecilpierce
May 11th, 2011, 11:41 PM
Better off using the simple upgrade instead of dist-upgrade, with this mix of ppa's the results might be unpredictable.

Thanks, I never thought of that.

23dornot23d
May 11th, 2011, 11:42 PM
I use a slightly different size screen on the right ;)

a FULL SIZE SCREENSHOT in CLASSIC MODE (http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/3995/screenshot10q.png)

cbowman57
May 11th, 2011, 11:44 PM
Seeding now.

Will find time to play tomorrow.

I'm happy with Unity but +1 for this project. Variety is the spice of life.

=D>

Welcome aboard DogMatix. Agreed, love the variety and always having options.

BTW, since you spend your time on Unity can you offer anything on the missing network icon in the top panel? Is that something in the basic configuration or a Unity bug, or is it confined to this collection of spare parts? :)

philnice
May 12th, 2011, 12:06 AM
Ok my system hangs only when mozilla is running. Now i have something.

cecilpierce
May 12th, 2011, 12:06 AM
@23dornot23d

How did you get the cube, preferences > plugin list ?

cbowman57
May 12th, 2011, 12:11 AM
Ok my system hangs only when mozilla is running. Now i have something.

Mozilla as in Firefox? With the recent upgrade 23dornot23d had a bad dependency to what looked like a mozilla file. I wonder if the problems are related?

I can't remember if I pre-loaded Chromium on gNatty or not. The short term fix might be to either try re-installing your mozilla app, if it's the browser you might have to use an alternative until an update fixes it.

philnice
May 12th, 2011, 12:18 AM
Yeah, have you tried some different fglrx flavors?

You might want to disable the xorg-edgers ppa and see what turns up for drivers options.

BTW, that is something everyone might want to consider, when your system runs the way you want it to you can disable some of the additional PPAs and wait for Ubuntu to catch up in the repositories. Just a suggestion.

You know i've always thinking that there should be more alternatives when it comes to drivers. I'm gonna disable those ppa's and see..... Thanks.

philnice
May 12th, 2011, 12:27 AM
Mozilla as in Firefox? With the recent upgrade 23dornot23d had a bad dependency to what looked like a mozilla file. I wonder if the problems are related?

I can't remember if I pre-loaded Chromium on gNatty or not. The short term fix might be to either try re-installing your mozilla app, if it's the browser you might have to use an alternative until an update fixes it.
Yea that's the one. And it gets even more complicated in my situation cause i used to run the installer from inside and make it default so i don't have to make a new install each time. Now, i did the update using the ppa so it should be fine except, i had to digg in order to copy my backup file so it could still be corrupted in a way. i'll start with a fresh install and see...

23dornot23d
May 12th, 2011, 12:28 AM
sorted the moz problem ..... with

root@keith-MS-7181:/usr/lib# ln -s /usr/lib/libmozjs185.so.1.0.0 /usr/lib/libmozjs.so

after loading the libmozjs185-1.0 in from synaptic ..... also loaded the libmozjs185-dev one in too

Basically pick the ones that have the cube on and resolve any issues .....

to get the above install as below .... I always add it to cairo-dock too ..... for easy access ....

sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager

Just to keep this uptodate ..... I did a

aptitude update
aptitude safe-uprade

No packages will be installed, upgraded, or removed.
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 2 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B of archives. After unpacking 0 B will be used.

Fully uptodate as of tonight and Classic runs ..... Unity runs ..... Gnome-Shell runs .... LXDE runs
same Session ......

One more thing ... I always replace the Desktop manager startup Login with >>> kdm

works for me .....

philnice
May 12th, 2011, 12:59 AM
sorted the moz problem ..... with

root@keith-MS-7181:/usr/lib# ln -s /usr/lib/libmozjs185.so.1.0.0 /usr/lib/libmozjs.so

after loading the libmozjs185-1.0 in from synaptic ..... also loaded the libmozjs185-dev one in too
I made the link, didn't help but thanks anyway. It must be something else. You know to have the cursor move normally when pressing backspace on text, i have to move the mouse all the time. Already checked mouse drivers, etc.

23dornot23d
May 12th, 2011, 01:08 AM
I made the link, didn't help but thanks anyway. It must be something else. You know to have the cursor move normally when pressing backspace on text, i have to move the mouse all the time. Already checked mouse drivers, etc.

Check when you run it from the Live CD ..... does it do the same thing ?

cbowman57
May 12th, 2011, 01:43 AM
Fully uptodate as of tonight and Classic runs ..... Unity runs ..... Gnome-Shell runs .... LXDE runs
same Session ......

One more thing ... I always replace the Desktop manager startup Login with >>> kdm

works for me .....

Sweet. Does using kdm fix the autologin bug?

philnice
May 12th, 2011, 01:52 AM
check when you run it from the Live CD ..... does it do the same thing ?
Just checked and everything works normally from the live cd. But in fallback mode as it won't let me boot the the gnome shell. What's next...?

23dornot23d
May 12th, 2011, 02:42 AM
Sweet. Does using kdm fix the autologin bug?
Using KDM ..... it does not allow you to auto login ...... it always asks for input ... AFAIK

Update there is the same or similar in KDE ..... but seems that too has problems
(http://www.google.com/search?client=ubuntu&channel=fs&q=autologin+kdm&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#sclient=psy&hl=en&client=ubuntu&hs=Li1&channel=fs&source=hp&q=autologin+kdm+2011&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=9ecd9e91e08e01f)

Just checked and everything works normally from the live cd. But in fallback mode as it won't let me boot the the gnome shell. What's next...?
My thoughts were if it works ok from the live CD ..... it may be a bad install .....

So try again with a fresh install ....... we have not got very far into it yet ......
so it may be as quick to just start over ..... sometimes this works as next time
we tend to know what works better for our own systems ....

Up to you ..... but if mine starts to mess up badly ...... a 30 min re-install is nothing
compared to the time it may take to try to correct something that's not really obvious.

I do not know how to solve your problem quicker than a re-install ......... :confused:

and if it does do the same again we know its a more serious problem .... then we can try to work it out.

Unless of course someone else out there knows a better solution .....

cbowman57
May 12th, 2011, 02:47 AM
Ran across this, thought some of you might be interested. Made me check my additional drivers and it displays activated but not in use too, fortunately everything appears to run like it should.

It's an Ubuntu 11.04 bug, not exclusive to the iso we're playing with.

link to Jockey bug on Launchpad (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/jockey/+bug/771788)

cbowman57
May 12th, 2011, 02:48 AM
No, I don't have a solution.

Start over from scratch is probably fastest & simplest solution.

23dornot23d
May 12th, 2011, 02:53 AM
Ran across this, thought some of you might be interested. Made me check my additional drivers and it displays activated but not in use too, fortunately everything appears to run like it should.

It's an Ubuntu 11.04 bug, not exclusive to the iso we're playing with.

link to Jockey bug on Launchpad (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/jockey/+bug/771788)
I think I do bypass this problem running KDM (http://www.mailrepository.com/ubuntu-bugs.lists.ubuntu.com/msg/3593831/) ..... someone may correct me if I am wrong ...

I got that problem too ..... that's mainly why I run KDM ........

Trying to work out if its different from one to the other ...... not sure yet
from what I read its specific to certain distributions and installs .... but not sure about Desktop Mangers
do they still both run the same files ?

It appears that there is a separate file for kde but even though I have KDM installed this is not used

philnice
May 12th, 2011, 03:30 AM
Using KDM ..... it does not allow you to auto login ...... it always asks for input ... AFAIK

Update there is the same or similar in KDE ..... but seems that too has problems
(http://www.google.com/search?client=ubuntu&channel=fs&q=autologin+kdm&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#sclient=psy&hl=en&client=ubuntu&hs=Li1&channel=fs&source=hp&q=autologin+kdm+2011&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=9ecd9e91e08e01f)
My thoughts were if it works ok from the live CD ..... it may be a bad install .....

So try again with a fresh install ....... we have not got very far into it yet ......
so it may be as quick to just start over ..... sometimes this works as next time
we tend to know what works better for our own systems ....

Up to you ..... but if mine starts to mess up badly ...... a 30 min re-install is nothing
compared to the time it may take to try to correct something that's not really obvious.

I do not know how to solve your problem quicker than a re-install ......... :confused:

and if it does do the same again we know its a more serious problem .... then we can try to work it out.

Unless of course someone else out there knows a better solution .....
I don't mine to reinstall, really. And that's the reason why i have so many remastersys backups. I just want to try a few things first. I 'll report back.

cbowman57
May 12th, 2011, 03:32 AM
You guys might get a kick out of this thread. :)

Link to humorous thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1756109&goto=newpost)

23dornot23d
May 12th, 2011, 03:40 AM
I may be joining you shortly doing a re-install if my latest tryout goes wrong ...

I am in the process of building Gnome-Shell using jhbuild .... not sure if it will give
me more options - but wanted to try it out ......

I am successfully upto package 24 of 41 ...... long way to go yet though ....
needs a lot of room too .... almost 2 Gig gone already .....

philnice
May 12th, 2011, 03:48 AM
I may be joining you shortly doing a re-install if my latest tryout goes wrong ...

I am in the process of building Gnome-Shell using jhbuild .... not sure if it will give
me more options - but wanted to try it out ......

I am successfully upto package 21 of 41 ...... long way to go yet though ....
needs a lot of room too .... almost 2 Gig gone already .....
Oh that's great! That's the reason why i'm messing with this. I want to reach to a point where i could be something like x-ray to the system. You know.
-One thing that bothers me alot: How sure can we be that natty (unity) isn't getting into the way when it comes to gnome 3 - shell......?
-Ok i'm gonna search for some alternative drivers as this system is going to trash anyway. And then reinstall.

cbowman57
May 12th, 2011, 03:53 AM
Oh that's great! That's the reason why i'm messing with this. I want to reach to a point where i could be something like x-ray to the system. You know.
-One thing that bothers me alot: How sure can we be that natty (unity) isn't getting into the way when it comes to gnome 3 - shell......?
-Ok i'm gonna search for some alternative drivers as this system is going to trash anyway. And then reinstall.

I don't think it is but it is possible. Satanselbow is working on building a Gnome 3.0 installation using the minimal install disk. Hopefully he'll report on what he's learning from that when he gets it ironed out.

philnice
May 12th, 2011, 04:02 AM
I see. It is left to us all to find out...! :)

23dornot23d
May 12th, 2011, 04:15 AM
You cannot .... really be sure of anything with lots of packages developing alongside each other , but what you can do is go back to systems that work as you want ...... nothing
gets trashed .... but it does go out of date ......

Amazing how quickly things move on ...... though .....

I re-installed Knoppix the other day and although the compiz effects were superb ....
and the sound and the talking menus ... as you load it up .......

The interface has not really moved on ....... but that is good if we like it.

Gnome shell to me is far more organised and professional in its organisation .....
UNITY seems to be rushing now to make something work .....
I am sure it will ...... but what we will have to wait to see ....

We rely so much on all the packages - but the Desktop just needs to be that .....
somewhere to put all of your things in a organised manner where you can easily
access them ...... Gnome Shell achieves this better than UNITY .....

The ring switcher is the one thing that may be of use .... if it does not whizz them
by that fast that you do not get what you want ......

This is going so well now too am up to 39 of 41 ...... and not a glitch .....

will see if it runs shortly .... completed ..... now to see if its ok .....

cbowman57
May 12th, 2011, 04:18 AM
I see. It is left to us all to find out...! :)

If we weren't a little twisted we'd be on our Win7 partition playing WoW or something.

Just look at what we've got going on. People playing with Remastersys that never even installed it before. Me feeling my way around UCK. A group of people that are really trying to improve the Ubuntu experience by creating desktop options and creating a knowledge base for the day when Gnome 3.0 officially (or unofficially) makes it's way to Ubuntu.

Admit it, don't you know more today than you did yesterday? :)

cbowman57
May 12th, 2011, 04:21 AM
@23dornot23d, well said.

Amen bro. ;)

philnice
May 12th, 2011, 04:25 AM
Yep. He just reminded me why i haven't launch unity all these days.......
He 'll be back with his thing and i 'll be back with a new system. see you all in a while...

23dornot23d
May 12th, 2011, 04:27 AM
Aha ..... the Git build did build ...... but does not work ....... ( ? )

So we are still working with the normal build ..... and its rock solid ...... :D

I just hope it stays like this ...... what do people want from it now ... ?

We have the option with CLASSIC panels ...
We have the option with UNITY
We have the option LXDE
and
We have a Option .... of Gnome Shell ........

thouartsimple
May 12th, 2011, 04:58 AM
Wow! I am definitely giving this a try, thanks a lot! =D

cbowman57
May 12th, 2011, 05:37 AM
Aha ..... the Git build did build ...... but does not work ....... ( ? )

So we are still working with the normal build ..... and its rock solid ...... :D

I just hope it stays like this ...... what do people want from it now ... ?

We have the option with CLASSIC panels ...
We have the option with UNITY
We have the option LXDE
and
We have a Option .... of Gnome Shell ........

I know I've had no problems with stability here either & they all seem to coexist just fine.

Right now I'm about done merging Gnome 3 into Linux Mint 11. If it even works I'll be curious to see how it turns out. :)

cbowman57
May 12th, 2011, 05:38 AM
Wow! I am definitely giving this a try, thanks a lot! =D

Welcome aboard.

philnice
May 12th, 2011, 05:51 AM
ok, here i'm, currently in fallback mode, no graphics drivers installed, i've loaded the firefox with the backup file and it runs smoothly by now. Also, i had the message about the gnome session package that could not installed upon installation. What's next....?

23dornot23d
May 12th, 2011, 05:56 AM
I know I've had no problems with stability here either & they all seem to coexist just fine.

Right now I'm about done merging Gnome 3 into Linux Mint 11. If it even works I'll be curious to see how it turns out. :smile:

You are trying things out and its good to see ....

Linux Mint is a great distro too - hope it works well ...

Maybe Unity will become what its name suggests and bring the whole Linux community together as one UNIT .....

Working across all Distributions .. with a NEW Interface .....

or Maybe Gnome Shell will do it ..... who knows ....

I am just happy to see more LINUX USERs onboard .... :D

People need to know this was for testing though ..... we still need a new version with
the added options on it ..... there has to be an easier way to create a new distribution
with less on it ......

If it was organised in such a way that OLD systems and modules could still be used
then it would be great ...... they tick which they want to keep that work well
and then only the new ones get replaced ......

Sound >>> tick
Graphics >>> upgrade
Desktop >>> tick
Printer >>> upgrade
Network >>> upgrade

etc ......

just crazy thoughts ..... maybe it could work though ..... :confused:

cbowman57
May 12th, 2011, 05:59 AM
ok, here i'm, currently in fallback mode, no graphics drivers installed, i've loaded the firefox with the backup file and it runs smoothly by now. Also, i had the message about the gnome session package that could not installed upon installation. What's next....?

Just for a little insurance, open a terminal and then sudo apt-get -f install after that sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade, may not do anything it's just to be certain.

reboot, then go into synaptic and completely remove the proprietary video driver that you don't use. Everything should work like it should after that.

cbowman57
May 12th, 2011, 06:05 AM
Well I'm really hoping that satanselbow comes up with something from his experiments. To get the features you'd like to have (me too) we'd need to get some people onboard with real skills. The guys at elementary, Pinguy, somebody like that. Maybe the UGR team? That would be cool.

Tonight's lesson, UCK works ONLY with Ubuntu, not derivatives. However, since gNatty is still internally Ubuntu it can be tweaked with it.
I was a little disappointed because I really like the Mint look & feel and was hoping some of it would stick. :(

My other thought was build a Gnome 3.0 only from minimal install then create a custom.iso with Remastersys. No chance of conflicting desktops, should keep things small and leave it to the user to install any extras. I'm not convinced that by adding the driver I didn't make it more difficult for ATI users.

philnice
May 12th, 2011, 06:08 AM
I'll do all that. I'm just concerning about the driver because obviously now i use the generic which doesn't support 3d acceleration. In this case after reboot i should have a broken gnome shell. But, it is better because if i choose to go with the fglrx, my system may broke again as it did before. Ok one thing at the time. Let me invite in my good friend terminal... :)

philnice
May 12th, 2011, 06:13 AM
cbowman57, i forgot to include the quoted message to have a clue of what i'm talking about.
-Since i saw your last post, for me, yes. That would be the best. I rely on remastersys because it haven't failed on me so far.

philnice
May 12th, 2011, 06:23 AM
Juist a question: What about the gnome3-session package? It is not installed, and i can see it in synaptic. Should i go for it, or stay with the suggested packages..?

cbowman57
May 12th, 2011, 06:27 AM
Do NOT install the gnome3-session package. I can't remember exactly why not but do know it will break things.

I remember now, there are 4 developmental &/or testing repos that gNatty pulls the Gnome 3.0 files from. I did this to keep things as current as possible since I don't know which is the most active. Pretty sure the majority come from the UGR guys (ubuntugnometeam), but a couple packages come from ricotz/testing, and possibly a couple from the remaining two. Your system is dependent on the ugr-desktop-g3 package and I'm pretty sure that installing gnome3-session will break that. If you want to test it though it can probably be re-installed, I haven't tried it.

philnice
May 12th, 2011, 06:30 AM
Ok i stay with what it has been offered. Hopefully, things would stay smooth after the reboot. Thanks.

23dornot23d
May 12th, 2011, 11:01 AM
Well I'm really hoping that satanselbow comes up with something from his experiments. To get the features you'd like to have (me too) we'd need to get some people onboard with real skills. The guys at elementary, Pinguy, somebody like that. Maybe the UGR team? That would be cool.
I did think of one thing that would be useful for the graphics ......

If someone has spent a lot of time setting up their Dual Monitor Triple Monitor Systems
the last thing they really want are the xorg.conf files removed when installing a new system

If they can be backed up and made available from a small script file .......
Then the next time they want to set the graphics up - its just a case of calling in the
xorg.conf to get them up and running .....

I had to do this on my system as I run 3 monitors ..... ( its another little thing that would make the USER experience better )

I realise with the Nvidia / ATI drivers that they need to be added into the KERNEL and
am not sure that there is a easy solution ..... other than if they do have the drivers
working ....... to again copy them ..... and have them made available for the upgrade.

Two things that are really important to the USER .....being able to see the nice screen
and layout from the time before ...... and to have a NETWORK up and running.

ATI drivers I do not know a lot about ..... so cannot really help Phil on this one .....
But Nvidia ..... have used these all the time and seem to me to be better supported
things change though .........

@philnice
What graphics card and computer do you you use ?

I might be able to search for some useful information for you though .....

Tonight's lesson, UCK works ONLY with Ubuntu, not derivatives. However, since gNatty is still internally Ubuntu it can be tweaked with it.
I was a little disappointed because I really like the Mint look & feel and was hoping some of it would stick. :sad:
I did this once before swapping back and forth trying things out system to system ......
Try to stick with UBUNTU ..... MINT is great and a lot of problems get ironed out there ..... but on this site
the leading edge of the innovative things are working well >>> they seem to take more risks but to me
you have to if you want to see some real changes >>> also more people come here from all the other
Distros to see what's happening and give advice and comments .

I have been on a lot of the other forums and the technical stuff and sorting goes on ..... but they can get bogged
down with solving the individual problems and not see the big picture ......

The LTS is always there too for the ones that need it ......

The repositories are also there for anything we need to add on ...... and with many optiions to get things
gdebi >>> software centre >>> Alien >>> Synaptic package Manager >>> apt-get >>> aptitude.

I also run Sabayon and it is fully up to date .....
I quite like that too has it rarely has problems >>> but to me this is the place to learn quickly as you
already mentioned in one of your earlier posts .

This version of Natty is there for people that want to see something new ..... and as far as I know there is nothing
that's really pushing ideas out ...... more than in here ........

STEP 1
My other thought was build a Gnome 3.0 only from minimal install

STEP 2
then create a custom.iso with Remastersys. No chance of conflicting desktops, should keep things small and leave it to the user to install any extras. I'm not convinced that by adding the driver I didn't make it more difficult for ATI users.
I also thought this way too

Most people install the Latest version ..... because its nice to get that ..... and it can solve some problems
the thing is not many may want to do a two CD install ......

If this is the way you meant here ......

STEP 1 ...... They install the normal one for the main UBUNTU iso ..... but if they installed the Mini installs
22 Meg ...... or whatever maybe slightly bigger including a network and minimal desktop environment
sort of safe mode ...... then ....

STEP 2 ....... Then to add any extras on top from another Custom CD ....... say for Nvidia or ATI specifically ....

May work ...... as then we could add more to the custom CD ..... but not sure if this would become
confusing ..... if the custom CD was used on other setups ....
( but to me this could develop to have the needed checks to make sure it only goes on top of what its
intended to go on top of >>> ie if its made specifically for NATTY it only goes on top of NATTY not HARDY
and ATI specific and NVIDIA specific first checking the USERS hardware to make sure ;) )

Ok all for now ........ its becoming a Novel ...

cbowman57
May 12th, 2011, 11:59 AM
Yes, it is a novel. :)

No my idea with using Remastersys again was to build from a minimal install, do what I can with it, then create a distro from that. Similar to the way I did the 64-bit version.

As far as all the scripting, I really just don't know how to do it and have it available & executed for a new installation. I'm sure it can be done since I've seen some custom distros that do it.

I did create a minimal installation tonight & added gnome shell but it still pulled in old gnome & unity. It looks good but has a couple bugs that I noticed right away, one being a non-visible network-manager icon in the panel, actually that was the only one. Instead of using Nvidia proprietary drivers I used the open source experimental gallium drivers, which work quite well. The network icon problem may just be due to an incomplete package, the one that is visible but won't upgrade.

satanselbow
May 12th, 2011, 03:26 PM
Hi kids :D

Only 1 minimal install - I've done about 30 in the last couple of days :D

The minimal installed is really just an ugly netinstall - as i'm sure you've found out...

The trick to keep Unity and as much Gnome2 stuff out the frame as possible is to use the "manual package selection" option right at the bottom of the list on the Tasksel screen - ie where you get to choose whether you want Ubuntu Server, Print Server etc.

You will end up with a very very minimal Ubuntu install with no GUI - just a login prompt.

I've done so many possibilities in the last 48h and documented it so badly :D

1st steps are thus:

Enables add-apt-repository -

apt-get python-software-propertiesAdd Gnome3-Team PPA

add-apt-repository ppa:gnome3-team/gnome3
apt-get updateVery basic bits that get you a G3 Shell (all get pulled from g3 team ppa)

gdm gnome-shell gnome-session
And if you want to login to a session that does nothing at all... er... right...

sudo service gdm start:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

I am still kind of in dependancy hell sifting through what has to go on in what order - BUT am compiling a bash script as I go :D

23dornot23d
May 12th, 2011, 05:09 PM
satanselbow

The minimal installed is really just an ugly netinstall - as i'm sure you've found out...

The trick to keep Unity and as much Gnome2 stuff out the frame as possible is to use the "manual package selection" option right at the bottom of the list on the Tasksel screen - ie where you get to choose whether you want Ubuntu Server, Print Server etc.

You will end up with a very very minimal Ubuntu install with no GUI - just a login prompt.

1st steps are thus:

I am still kind of in dependancy hell sifting through what has to go on in what order - BUT am compiling a bash script as I go :D
You are doing great work >>>> stick with it .......

I want to see a distribution disk with a completely clear desktop ......
Then I just want to add ...... either a panel or a dock to it .......

Do you think this is possible or easy to accomplish ...

__________________________________________________ _

If so then the possibilities will lead us down a very easy path

What does the USER actually want to see on their own custom DESKTOP .....

>>>>> ?

or do we want someone else to decide for us that a MAC type system is best ?

CHOICES ....... I like choices ....... ;)

satanselbow
May 12th, 2011, 06:05 PM
I want to see a distribution disk with a completely clear desktop ......
Then I just want to add ...... either a panel or a dock to it .......

Do you think this is possible or easy to accomplish ...

Do you mean separating/diabling the Gnome 3 Launcher/Dash? Don't think that is/will be possible?

23dornot23d
May 12th, 2011, 06:26 PM
It has already happened ..... when Gnome-Shell was first being tested

I managed to get clean desktop ....
Everything functional ..... but no panels and no docks ....... other than what the USER wants to add to it

You just add your own ... and customize it to suit .....

Its no problem now as Gnome Shell is so close to what I need to build on .....

( ty for letting me know your experiences with it though ....... )

Imagine this ....

You get your Distro ....

3 questions ....

1 ....... What Graphics Card do you use ...... Intel / Nvidia / ATI ( default to SAFE MODE if user is unsure )

ok now we have something for you to look at ......

2 ...... How do you connect to the Internet ...... A cable ..... USB / ETHO ....... or Wireless ...... ( default to CABLE if user is unsure )

3 ..... Do you want a Classic Desktop / Gnome-Shell ........ or the UNITY one ....... or a BLANK one to add DOCKS / Panels TO ...... ( default to CLASSIC if user is unsure )

Now from here we can help any user build a system ....... if they have a Graphical User Interface (GUI) .... INTERNET and a workspace they are familiar with .......

Where we go now is up to you the USER ....... we just have to think of a way to supply you with a list of desktop looks to choose from

>>> that suit YOU ......

just a thought ....... but I think its possible to do this .........

__________________________________________________ ________

Nothing should stop you creating the look you want now ...... all the pieces are there to use ......

( add your applications using the Software Center or Synaptic .... or apt-get or aptitude ..... or choose a default set )

cbowman57
May 12th, 2011, 08:30 PM

1st steps are thus:

apt-get python-software-propertiesAdd Gnome3-Team PPA

add-apt-repository ppa:gnome3-team/gnome3
apt-get updateVery basic bits that get you a G3 Shell (all get pulled from g3 team ppa)

gdm gnome-shell gnome-session
And if you want to login to a session that does nothing at all... er... right...

sudo service gdm start:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

The one I built last night used the ugr-desktop-g3, which is totally complete from what I could tell. I pulled from 4 active gnome3 PPAs, it works well but it's not small. My original thought process was that I would have an installation of nothing but gnome 3.0, to include fallback mode, and nothing more.

cbowman57
May 12th, 2011, 08:34 PM
CHOICES ....... I like choices ....... ;)

Yes. =D>

DogMatix
May 12th, 2011, 08:59 PM
Welcome aboard DogMatix. Agreed, love the variety and always having options.

BTW, since you spend your time on Unity can you offer anything on the missing network icon in the top panel? Is that something in the basic configuration or a Unity bug, or is it confined to this collection of spare parts? :)

Not had an issue with it myself but there is a launchpad bug that addresses it and it's marked as 'Fix Released' Bug 680298 (https://bugs.launchpad.net/unity/+bug/680298)

philnice
May 12th, 2011, 09:41 PM
....And here i'm.... So, i tried every available alternative regarding the graphics driver, including building them form source:
-In the case of ati (open source driver), the system did not boot the gnome shell even once. Always in fallback mode. -The problem with the firefox lag did not appeared though. I think it wouldn't unless if there was some sort of fglrx presenting.
-In the case of fglrx: i only tested the one i builted from source - for obvious reasons - and the results were exactly the same when i was using the one provided by the distro: The shell would load as soon as the fglrx (any kind) was installed, but that would result in a system lagginess especially when firefox was running.

After the last, i decided to purge both fglrx and open source and start over. But the kernel did not boot after.
So, now im using my other partition - ubuntu 10.10 with the old gnome ppa and an incomplete shell, which brings me to the point: On this system i also use the fglrx, and there is no sign of lag or anything anywhere including firefox (which i use right now.). Also, the shell have its effects. Considering all of that, i think there should be some sort of conflicts between gnome 3 and unity, but to be sure i would have to use a minimal install ( like the one mentioned above), with only gnome3 - shell installed and nothing else regarding the DE.
Also, this way i could confirm that my claim is valid for the latest 2.38 kernel also.

waspbloke
May 12th, 2011, 10:34 PM
Right, spent the last day doing some serious reorganization of my HDD - moving, resizing, deleting partitions - got into a bit of a pickle with GRUB2 for a while but have got that fixed.

Booted the x64 DVD with nomodeset which got round my ATI card. Then I managed to do the htop > kill the greeter trick but oddly it didn't work before I reorganized my HDD, kept having a hanging Xserver issue. Got into a fallback desktop and hit the "install custom live". Installed okay, rebooted okay, Gnome 3 dropped to fallback tho'. Activated the ATI driver and rebooted and now I have a Gnome 3 shell. Hoorah! :P

So what now?

23dornot23d
May 12th, 2011, 10:38 PM
Nice work ..... another successful installation of the 64 bit Gnome-Shell .... like it ;)

I would add the Themes ...... do you have a screenshot as I think the Tab is already there
in the 64 bit for the Themes ..... the packages just need to be added ..... from deviant art
Half Left ....

or just take the themes part out of this as I think you already have the extensions ....
reasonably sure that adding the Themes in that folder will work but check with

Charles
he did mention another place for themes etc earlier in this Thread ..... but this I think
was reffering to the 32 bit buil (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=10798643&postcount=64)d

download these and put them in .....$HOME/.local/share/gnome-shell/ and unpack THEMES ONLY).
http://fpmurphy.com/public/themeselector-0.8.tar.gz
(Place the downloaded tarball in $HOME/.local/share/gnome-shell/ and unpack THEMES ONLY)
reboot and the Theme selector should now be available ....

http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/5945/themes.jpg (http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/5945/themes.jpg)

satanselbow
May 12th, 2011, 11:01 PM
Everything functional ..... but no panels and no docks ....... other than what the USER wants to add to it

Oh I see ;) I missed a lot of the Gnome 3 dev cycle as had a lot of bill paying work on at the time.

I've had everything dis-functional quicte a lot recently :D

That does sound sweet though :popcorn:

You know all this is quite ridiculous really... Unity is a hacked - or "custom" if you are feeling generous - Gnome 3 right? So somewhere in the bowels of the Canonical ISO Library there must be a plain vanilla Natty+ G3... You know they could just give it to us tomorrow - and still beat Fedora/OpenSuse past the post... I smell a conspiracy :D

cbowman57
May 12th, 2011, 11:02 PM
Originally Posted by el_koraco
“On the seventh day, God saw the world had already been outdated, so he did a god@heaven# eix-sync && emerge -uDNav @world && exit42”

cbowman57
May 12th, 2011, 11:06 PM
@philnice, just out of curiousity did you try booting to the ubuntu (Unity) desktop at any time you were trying various drivers? If so, did it function ok?

Also, how well do your drivers support Unity when you do a stock 11.04 installation?

23dornot23d
May 12th, 2011, 11:08 PM
“revdep-rebuild would have sufficed. Or at least you could have tried #emerge -e world!!!”~ Noah (http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Noah) - 'the day after' on God (http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/God)'s assumed lack of Gentoo skills

LINK (http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Gentoo)

You know all this is quite ridiculous really... Unity is a hacked - or "custom" if you are feeling generous - Gnome 3 right? So somewhere in the bowels of the Canonical ISO Library there must be a plain vanilla Natty+ G3... You know they could just give it to us tomorrow - and still beat Fedora/OpenSuse past the post... I smell a conspiracy :grin:

Conspiracy theories already .... lols ....

cbowman57
May 12th, 2011, 11:10 PM
Activated the ATI driver and rebooted and now I have a Gnome 3 shell. Hoorah! :P

So what now?

If you want to customize it some download the gNatty Pack (link is in post #1) and apply themes & extensions if you feel the urge, otherwise I guess you can just use it as-is and see if Gnome 3.0 is something you can get used to.

Also, since you run ATI, any input or help you can give philnice at this point would be appreciated. He's not having much luck with it, though he's using the 32-bit version.

waspbloke
May 12th, 2011, 11:14 PM
Nice work ..... another successful installation of the 64 bit Gnome-Shell .... like it ;)

I would add the Themes ...... do you have a screenshot as I think the Tab is already there
in the 64 bit for the Themes ..... the packages just need to be added ..... from deviant art
Half Left ....

or just take the themes part out of this as I think you already have the extensions ....
reasonably sure that adding the Themes in that folder will work but check with

Charles
he did mention another place for themes etc earlier in this Thread ..... but this I think
was reffering to the 32 bit buil (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=10798643&postcount=64)d

download these and put them in .....$HOME/.local/share/gnome-shell/ and unpack THEMES ONLY).
(Place the downloaded tarball in $HOME/.local/share/gnome-shell/ and unpack THEMES ONLY)

http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/5945/themes.jpg (http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/5945/themes.jpg)

Already had the themes tab...extracted themes and rebooted but no themes appear in the selector...also, extensions folder is empty...?

Assuming we can get themes working, will they fix the garbled top bar? On a probably unrelated note, many icons have duplicated in the application list.

cbowman57
May 12th, 2011, 11:17 PM

Ah, this is why we're giving conflicting instructions & file locations. :)

Themeselector is 0.9 now, which is the one included in the gNatty Pack, folder locations have changed & are now more integrated into gnome-tweak-tool.

fpmurphy's blog has been updated with the newer version, the blog itself doesn't reflect the changes other than an addendum at the very bottom dated 30 Apr 2011 with the newest download and a note to ignore the installation instructions in the original blog entry.

23dornot23d
May 12th, 2011, 11:20 PM
Ah, this is why we're giving conflicting instructions & file locations. :smile:

Themeselector is 0.9 now, which is the one included in the gNatty Pack, folder locations have changed & are now more integrated into gnome-tweak-tool.
I did read that you put something about versions and it checking for them ..... should have realised ....

I did play it safe by saying themes only though .....

Charles
I did put this link there too .... but thought it was just for the 32 bit .... sorry ...

I see the pack is 0.8 and the latest is 0.9 now .... will bear it in mind the Themes can be removed
and replaced .... if they cause a problem ..... but was the 64 bit done when this was valid
as I updated mine this way and it worked ok ......... have also done the same in the
32 bit and that works too .... !!!

philnice
May 12th, 2011, 11:23 PM
[QUOTE=cbowman57;10807470]@philnice, just out of curiousity did you try booting to the ubuntu (Unity) desktop at any time you were trying various drivers? If so, did it function ok?

Also, how well do your drivers support Unity when you do a stock 11.04 installation?[/QUOTE
I did, several times and the results were the same. As for the latter, i'm not sure if i did it recently, but i have always had problems if, compiz and something else related to x were running at the same time. And that got me thinking, since i use mixxx (dj software), and i had to disable compiz everytime i wanted to use it....
Now, on the same kernel, i can run mixxx with minimal problems... And judging by the transitions i see, some sort of effects should present....
I now have opened /usr/local/share/gnome.... in both partitions, and trying to see if i could fix whatever is missing on my 10.10 gnome 3 install to make the shell fully functional.

cbowman57
May 12th, 2011, 11:27 PM
Oh I see ;) I missed a lot of the Gnome 3 dev cycle as had a lot of bill paying work on at the time.

I've had everything dis-functional quicte a lot recently :D

That does sound sweet though :popcorn:

You know all this is quite ridiculous really... Unity is a hacked - or "custom" if you are feeling generous - Gnome 3 right? So somewhere in the bowels of the Canonical ISO Library there must be a plain vanilla Natty+ G3... You know they could just give it to us tomorrow - and still beat Fedora/OpenSuse past the post... I smell a conspiracy :D

IIRC, to get that "clean" look it was just adding gnome-shell, not the updated gnome-session. The way they have been developing things lately I don't think it's possible to separate the two anymore (as soon as I write this somebody will prove me wrong).

BTW, after playing with a minimal install I've reached the conclusion that the best, and simplest method is to use the UGR repos in addition to gnome3-team & ricotz, just install the ugr-desktop-g3 and avoid the dependency hell. After which you can purge unity* and a few other things you don't want. Not saying it can't be done the way you are doing it, just that I think you will create problems for yourself down the road. That's my opinion at this time.

You are probably right about the link between unity & gnome 3.0, there are too many similarities and Ubuntu definitely copied (poorly) the look and feel of the new shell. For a team of programmers removing dependency on mutter and replacing with compiz & changing the programming language is probably not that difficult. Again, that's my opinion, since I don't program I may be way off base. :)

waspbloke
May 12th, 2011, 11:31 PM
Okay, themes working now as per gNatty pack instructions. But now sidebar icons and a few other elements have turned into coloured noise/static...!!!!

cbowman57
May 12th, 2011, 11:36 PM
Already had the themes tab...extracted themes and rebooted but no themes appear in the selector...also, extensions folder is empty...?

Assuming we can get themes working, will they fix the garbled top bar? On a probably unrelated note, many icons have duplicated in the application list.

There are extensions in /usr/share/gnome-shell/extensions you can copy those to ~/.local/share/gnome-shell/extensions but I think you will be better off just using the gNatty Pack and following the included README.

Pretty sure the duplicate applications are a a bug that isn't exclusive to the iso we're using. (I keep having to remember that there are slight differences between gNatty Gnome & Natty Gnome, though they function the same from what I've been able to gather so far)

23dornot23d
May 12th, 2011, 11:41 PM
I have seen the duplicate icons problem before somewhere it was related to having LXDE (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1749291&highlight=lxde+duplicate+icons)
the icons get picked up twice .. but I do not know why yet ....

(There has to be a better way than removing LXDE too ...... there must be two folders of symbols that are being picked up
from somewhere ?)

When I went into the 32 bit version they are ok ...... though ....

cbowman57
May 12th, 2011, 11:47 PM
I did read that you put something about versions and it checking for them ..... should have realised ....

:)

I did play it safe by saying themes only though .....

I did put this link there too .... but thought it was just for the 32 bit .... sorry ...

No, it's for any architecture.

I see the pack is 0.8 and the latest is 0.9 now .... will bear it in mind the Themes can be removed
and replaced .... if they cause a problem ..... but was the 64 bit done when this was valid
as I updated mine this way and it worked ok ......... have also done the same in the
32 bit and that works too .... !!!

Yes, the 64-bit version was done that way, and as long as you use 0.8 you can copy & paste between 64-bit - 32-bit, the extension should be architecture agnostic. With the couple tweaks I made to the files included in the pack I think you might like it better than what you have.

Things are moving so fast it's hard to keep up with the minor little changes. I really appreciate the support you've given me, and the rest of the people that visit here.

philnice
May 12th, 2011, 11:51 PM
there must be two folders of symbols that are being picked up
from somewhere ?
You're right, and i read about that accidentally a few hours ago on gnome.org but stupid me didn't track the page address. Keep looking for it. Can't remember the names of these two folders. :mad:

waspbloke
May 12th, 2011, 11:56 PM
You're right, and i read about that accidentally a few hours ago on gnome.org but stupid me didn't track the page address. Keep looking for it. Can't remember the names of these two folders. :mad:

I notice it happens when I log out and back in. The more times I do, the more duplicates appear.

23dornot23d
May 12th, 2011, 11:57 PM
Look in your history on Firefox - ... it might still be there .....but it would be good to know

I will have a quick search too .......ty .......

I will also try to load in the other themes and see what happens now ..... ty CBowman
for the kind words too ,,,,

satanselbow
May 12th, 2011, 11:58 PM
BTW, after playing with a minimal install I've reached the conclusion that the best, and simplest method is to use the UGR repos in addition to gnome3-team & ricotz, just install the ugr-desktop-g3 and avoid the dependency hell. After which you can purge unity* and a few other things you don't want.

Only potential problem - and I haven't tried going there at all yet - is the potential to break other "stuff" trying to out Unity once it is on... which was kind of why I went the minimal route in the 1st place as banging the G3 repos (as they were a couple of weeks ago) left artifacts and problems of their own when thrown on a clean 11.04 :confused:

I'm quite happy with G3 even though - truth be told - the differences between it and Unity, from both a functional and aesthetic viewpoint, are not that great. I also think that Unity will fork further away from G3 in future (possibly purely on identity issues alone) and as does not suit my purpose now I don't see it doing so in later releases.

Most of the dependancy "problems" i've been having are more down to me not paying attention properly and will - after a good nights sleep - be resolved... maybe :D

Off on a tangent...

The problem with multiple icons for the same app on the dash is the same age old gnome problem of having multiple categories per app. Think Evolution appearing as "Internet" and "Office" for the email and calendar respectively. Only fix - that I immediately know of - is to find the .desktop file (/use/share/apps ?????) and manually edit out the categories you do not want it to appear in ;)

Nighty nighty... more G3 experiments at dawn :D

cbowman57
May 13th, 2011, 12:00 AM
Okay, themes working now as per gNatty pack instructions. But now sidebar icons and a few other elements have turned into coloured noise/static...!!!!

Ok, they did an update on gnome-shell (I think it was) the other day and it caused some weirdness in some themes, though what you're seeing might be ATI related.

Open up gnome-tweak-tool and double check some of the themes selections. In Gnome 3.0 you can change Shell themes, metacity, GTK & icon themes.

I think there is some conflict between the way gnome-tweak-tool does themes & the way the themeselector extension does them but it doesn't break anything. After changing themes or extensions an alt+f2 r enter, may be required (it doesn't hurt anything), and don't panic if after using that combination there is a minor crash and it logs you out, it's harmless and doesn't persist or mean anything is seriously broken.

philnice
May 13th, 2011, 12:02 AM
Look in your history on Firefox - ... it might still be there .....but it would be good to know

I will have a quick search too .......ty .......

I will also try to load in the other themes and see what happens now ..... ty CBowman
for the kind words too ,,,,
Already did, but in the meantime i switched partitions..... LOL!
I can't believe i left something that usefull pass through only because i was searching for other stuff.....

cbowman57
May 13th, 2011, 12:02 AM
[QUOTE=cbowman57;10807470]@philnice, just out of curiousity did you try booting to the ubuntu (Unity) desktop at any time you were trying various drivers? If so, did it function ok?

Also, how well do your drivers support Unity when you do a stock 11.04 installation?[/QUOTE
I did, several times and the results were the same. As for the latter, i'm not sure if i did it recently, but i have always had problems if, compiz and something else related to x were running at the same time. And that got me thinking, since i use mixxx (dj software), and i had to disable compiz everytime i wanted to use it....
Now, on the same kernel, i can run mixxx with minimal problems... And judging by the transitions i see, some sort of effects should present....
I now have opened /usr/local/share/gnome.... in both partitions, and trying to see if i could fix whatever is missing on my 10.10 gnome 3 install to make the shell fully functional.

If you don't use unity anyway, a dirty workaround might be to simply purge unity* and compiz* and see if the problem goes away.

cbowman57
May 13th, 2011, 12:05 AM

Cool! Sounds like they have a fix for it then. Just have to locate that entry. :)

Thanks!

philnice
May 13th, 2011, 12:07 AM
I notice it happens when I log out and back in. The more times I do, the more duplicates appear.
Still, the solution i found earlier seems to be the best. The question is, what was it....

cbowman57
May 13th, 2011, 12:09 AM

Quit doing that. :D

No seriously, if you restart and log back in are there duplicates or is it just after multiple logouts?

What you & I are using (the 64-bit) is virtually identical and I looked just now & don't have the duplicate problem however I haven't logged in & out lately.

philnice
May 13th, 2011, 12:10 AM
Cool! Sounds like they have a fix for it then. Just have to locate that entry. :)

Thanks!
You thank me, but i assure you most of the people having that problem and searching right now on the net, would probably hate me!!! :)

philnice
May 13th, 2011, 12:19 AM
[QUOTE=philnice;10807539]

If you don't use unity anyway, a dirty workaround might be to simply purge unity* and compiz* and see if the problem goes away.
That sounds interesting. How would i go to wipe both?

waspbloke
May 13th, 2011, 12:19 AM
Quit doing that. :D

No seriously, if you restart and log back in are there duplicates or is it just after multiple logouts?

What you & I are using (the 64-bit) is virtually identical and I looked just now & don't have the duplicate problem however I haven't logged in & out lately.

Funnily enough I just did a reboot and have 3 Desktop Webmail, 2 Keyboard Input Method and 2 Nightly Web Browser icons. It seems to be quite random really as to which icons are duplicated and how many it gives me.

cbowman57
May 13th, 2011, 12:21 AM
Only potential problem - and I haven't tried going there at all yet - is the potential to break other "stuff" trying to out Unity once it is on... which was kind of why I went the minimal route in the 1st place as banging the G3 repos (as they were a couple of weeks ago) left artifacts and problems of their own when thrown on a clean 11.04 :confused:

I've purged unity with no ill effects, as far as artifacts, quite possible but autoremove usually took care of the bulk of them.

I'm quite happy with G3 even though - truth be told - the differences between it and Unity, from both a functional and aesthetic viewpoint, are not that great. I also think that Unity will fork further away from G3 in future (possibly purely on identity issues alone) and as does not suit my purpose now I don't see it doing so in later releases.

My biggest problem with Unity, truth be told, is the way it's being shoved down our throats. I can adapt to just about anything, but why should I have too? A computer IMO is an extension of the user and as such should feel intuitive, what works for some doesn't work for all. Historically we've grown up with that "Windows" look & feel, it's what were used to & linux has given us the simple tools to modify it to suit us, that's what I love about it. Unity (and to some extent Gnome 3.0) is basically an overize Android phone, but Gnome has implemented it better IMO. Oh well, I'll cut my rambling off there. :)

Most of the dependancy "problems" i've been having are more down to me not paying attention properly and will - after a good nights sleep - be resolved... maybe :D

Off on a tangent...

I love a good tangent now & then. :)

The problem with multiple icons for the same app on the dash is the same age old gnome problem of having multiple categories per app. Think Evolution appearing as "Internet" and "Office" for the email and calendar respectively. Only fix - that I immediately know of - is to find the .desktop file (/use/share/apps ?????) and manually edit out the categories you do not want it to appear in ;)

Ok, herein lies the solution. Use alacarte & turn off the entries in "other". Thanks.

Nighty nighty... more G3 experiments at dawn :D

G'night.

cbowman57
May 13th, 2011, 12:22 AM
[QUOTE=cbowman57;10807662]
That sounds interesting. How would i go to wipe both?

sudo apt-get purge unity*
sudo apt-get purge compiz*

then to clean up unused dependencies

sudo apt-get autoremove

cbowman57
May 13th, 2011, 12:25 AM
Already did, but in the meantime i switched partitions..... LOL!
I can't believe i left something that usefull pass through only because i was searching for other stuff.....

I do that ALL the time. I get tunnel vision when I go tracking down a problem, especially if it's something critical like trying to stamp out the problem you're having.

23dornot23d
May 13th, 2011, 12:28 AM
Has anybody noticed Alt+F2 no longer works after the upgrades ........ for command line input

or is it just on my system ?

I know UNITY use it to switch workspaces now .... ALT+f1 .....ALT+f2 probably more but did
not check ......

Applications >>> Preferences >>> keyboard ...

http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/1053/keysib.jpg

Is there a quick way to get the keys back to normal ... ?

cbowman57
May 13th, 2011, 12:36 AM
Has anybody noticed Alt+F2 no longer works after the upgrades ........ for command line input

or is it just on my system ?

I know UNITY use it to switch workspaces now .... ALT+f1 .....ALT+f2 probably more but did
not check ......

Is there a quick way to get the keys back to normal ... ?

Nothing broken here, I'm on the 64-bit.

System settings > Keyboard > Shortcuts > Desktop > Show the panel's "Run Application" dialog .. At+F2

is what I'm showing here.

philnice
May 13th, 2011, 12:46 AM
I remembered of an old good friend called web history, and finally found it...... http://raphaelhertzog.com/2011/04/18/status-update-of-gnome-3-in-debian-experimental/
Hope it'll work. :)

23dornot23d
May 13th, 2011, 12:48 AM
This is the 32 bit version ....... was after the updates the other day .....

Thanks for checking it though ..... in the 64 bit .....

Thing is its not letting me change the settings ..... :(

Ok nice one Phil

Why do I see all applications twice in the shell? The package menu-xdg generates a desktop file from the Debian menu information, those are in a menu entry that is hidden by default in the old GNOME menu. Gnome Shell doesn’t respect those settings and displays all .desktop files. Remove menu-xdg and you will get a cleaner list of applications.

philnice
May 13th, 2011, 12:50 AM
[QUOTE=philnice;10807724]

sudo apt-get purge unity*
sudo apt-get purge compiz*

then to clean up unused dependencies

sudo apt-get autoremove
I expected that to be more complicated.. :) Ok then, i will try later and report. Who knows....

philnice
May 13th, 2011, 12:57 AM

Ok nice one Phil
Thank you, and for doing the dirty job also. :)

cbowman57
May 13th, 2011, 01:01 AM

Ok nice one Phil

Weirdness. I wonder if the bug was just introduced in the 32-bit? Even stranger that it won't allow you to change them, maybe not, just tried to change mine & they must be hard coded.

If you feel adventurous I suppose you could go into synaptic and see if you can force an earlier version of something.. ? I don't know what, maybe system-settings or control-center, if the option exists.

cbowman57
May 13th, 2011, 01:05 AM
Funny, I just checked Synaptic and menu-xdg isn't installed on this one.

I did have a dupe that I got rid of using alacarte, some apps have multiple entries. In my case I had duplicate Desktop Webmail because there was an entry in "other" and "internet", I just toggled off the one in "other".

waspbloke
May 13th, 2011, 01:37 AM
I just looked at the software sources list...eek!

Just worth mentioning, boot-up to desktop is the fastest I've ever had (about 25s). Maybe due to ext4 and/or clean install. By comparison, my old 9.04>>>11.04 partition on ext3 takes about 1.5 mins, whereas my recently deleted and not-at-all-missed Vista partition would take about 3 mins (when it decided to work).

cbowman57
May 13th, 2011, 01:44 AM

Just worth mentioning, boot-up to desktop is the fastest I've ever had (about 25s). Maybe due to ext4 and/or clean install. By comparison, my old 9.04>>>11.04 partition on ext3 takes about 1.5 mins, whereas my recently deleted and not-at-all-missed Vista partition would take about 3 mins (when it decided to work).

Well that sources.list probably has a couple things you don't want & can purge if you don't want to use them. I think I loaded the one you're using with AWN, xfce4-panel & I don't remember what all else. Things I find useful but others might not.

For instance, I'm lost without Synapse on an desktop anymore so it's usually one of the first things I install.

Other than that did you kill off the bugs you ran into?

Oh, been awhile since I had a clean install of the version you & I are using but noticed that a fresh desktop with nothing running on the 32-bit version uses only 165Mb of RAM. That's a pretty small footprint.

23dornot23d
May 13th, 2011, 01:46 AM

Me too with vista .... would go in after 3 mins then install updates and tell you you had to restart your machine .... and then it did not always like its own updates ..... I do not miss it one bit ....

As soon as kdm - Gnome-Shell boots in .... I am away and working .... love it ....

Just done a full upgrade again today ...... all is still working fine as far as I can tell ....

keith@keith-MS-7181:~$ su
Password:
No packages will be installed, upgraded, or removed.
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 6 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B of archives. After unpacking 0 B will be used.

cbowman57
May 13th, 2011, 01:48 AM
Did you get your Alt+F2 functionality back?

waspbloke
May 13th, 2011, 02:08 AM
Other than that did you kill off the bugs you ran into?

Still getting random extra icons, found a couple of duplicates in alacarte tho'. Can't seem to cure the graphical glitches - all the built-in top panel icons are just white or brown blocks, previews in theme selector are a total mess and theme elements turn to porridge occasionally. Might try the Radeon drivers tomorrow, see if it improves.

cbowman57
May 13th, 2011, 02:16 AM
Still getting random extra icons, found a couple of duplicates in alacarte tho'. Can't seem to cure the graphical glitches - all the built-in top panel icons are just white or brown blocks, previews in theme selector are a total mess and theme elements turn to porridge occasionally. Might try the Radeon drivers tomorrow, see if it improves.

Did you try gnome-tweak-tool and see if you could change the icon theme? The theme selector previews are a little fuzzy, but they shouldn't be too bad. Hopefully it's just a driver issue.

What do things look like when you logon to Ubuntu (Unity)?

23dornot23d
May 13th, 2011, 02:20 AM
Did you get your Alt+F2 functionality back?
I am using Ctrl+F2 now ..... think its assigned within Cairo-Dock ....... as standard .....

and its a workaround ..... for me .......

All the Themes work in the Tweak tool for me too ........ ty

http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/4268/75168162.jpg

cbowman57
May 13th, 2011, 02:24 AM
I am using Ctrl+F2 now ..... think its assigned within Cairo-Dock ....... as standard .....

and its a workaround ..... for me .......

All the Themes work in the Tweak tool for me too ........ ty

Great! Sure beats editing with gconf-editor. :)

I can see where they are already creating an option for importing theme files from a directory. I think they are just trying to settle on a format, either that or the capability to import a tarball already exists I just don't know about it or it's undocumented.

NormanFLinux
May 13th, 2011, 02:27 AM
If any one knows a workaround for the 11.04 installer, it would be appreciated. It just hangs even on a Pentium 4 laptop at the preparing to install Ubuntu screen!

cbowman57
May 13th, 2011, 02:31 AM
If any one knows a workaround for the 11.04 installer, it would be appreciated. It just hangs even on a Pentium 4 laptop at the preparing to install Ubuntu screen!

Have you had the same problem with the official Ubuntu Live CD?

Are you trying to install from the live desktop or did you select the install option when booting from the disk or USB?

23dornot23d
May 13th, 2011, 02:33 AM
Great! Sure beats editing with gconf-editor. :smile:

Is there a way to add the Tron Theme Fully - I downloaded it from Deviant Art and its
in a slightly different format I think .... ?

The Icons and everything are there but I do not know how to set it up ...... LINK (http://half-left.deviantart.com/art/GNOME-Shell-Tron-Legacy-191396881)

NormanFLinux
May 13th, 2011, 02:52 AM
I tried to install from the live environment from my USB stick.

And yes, I've had the same problem with the official version.

It boots to the desktop OK but when I launch Ubiquity, its just stuck on the preparing to install Ubuntu screen.

I haven't see that issue with prior versions of Ubuntu. Its the same whether its a netbook or a full sized laptop so its definitely not a hardware issue.

Is there a workaround for Ubiquity in 11.04?

cbowman57
May 13th, 2011, 02:57 AM
Is there a way to add the Tron Theme Fully - I downloaded it from Deviant Art and its
in a slightly different format I think .... ?

The Icons and everything are there but I do not know how to set it up ...... LINK (http://half-left.deviantart.com/art/GNOME-Shell-Tron-Legacy-191396881)

Uh, kinda. Copy the icon directory to the folder /usr/share/icons that will let you select them with gnome-tweak-tool. It looks like the shell theme itself may work but to be read by gnome-tweak-tool or the themeselector it needs a theme.json file and/or a metadata.json, I suppose you could edit one.

A down and dirty method would be to choose an existing shell theme, clone the directory and rename it Tron or something, then replace images one by one from the Tron legacy theme. Keeping the original name, the DeviantArt theme is probably the one that would be the best starting point. I've done simple things like changing the corner ripple using this technique.

I'll quit there, It's starting to sound pretty convoluted, I hope you get what I'm trying to explain. A large part of it you'll just have to figure out as you go, sorry. :)

The key part though is you can replace images item by item, or you can create the .json files that it will need to "read" it via gnome-tweak-tool or the themeselector extension. I'm sure it's going to take some trial & error to get it right.

cbowman57
May 13th, 2011, 03:05 AM
I tried to install from the live environment from my USB stick.

And yes, I've had the same problem with the official version.

It boots to the desktop OK but when I launch Ubiquity, its just stuck on the preparing to install Ubuntu screen.

I haven't see that issue with prior versions of Ubuntu. Its the same whether its a netbook or a full sized laptop so its definitely not a hardware issue.

Is there a workaround for Ubiquity in 11.04?

Ok, have you tried to start the installer before it gets to the desktop? i.e. selecting from the USB grub screen?

Pardon all the questions but since I can't see your desktop. :)

Do you have or use a swap partition? I've had Natty install hang when I tried to run (purposely) without one.

Do you toggle on the choice to add restricted codecs & upgade during install? If so have you tried it with the system disconnected from a network?

I know I'm using a shotgun approach but maybe we'll get it figured out.

I don't know a workaround for Ubiquity.

23dornot23d
May 13th, 2011, 03:10 AM
Uh, kinda. Copy the icon directory to the folder /usr/share/icons that will let you select them with gnome-tweak-tool. It looks like the shell theme itself may work but to be read by gnome-tweak-tool or the themeselector it needs a theme.json file and/or a metadata.json, I suppose you could edit one.

A down and dirty method would be to choose an existing shell theme, clone the directory and rename it Tron or something, then replace images one by one from the Tron legacy theme. Keeping the original name, the DeviantArt theme is probably the one that would be the best starting point. I've done simple things like changing the corner ripple using this technique.

I'll quit there, It's starting to sound pretty convoluted, I hope you get what I'm trying to explain. A large part of it you'll just have to figure out as you go, sorry. :)

The key part though is you can replace images item by item, or you can create the .json files that it will need to "read" it via gnome-tweak-tool or the themeselector extension. I'm sure it's going to take some trial & error to get it right.

Ok cheers for that - there is enough information there for me to go on ..... ty

Will see what I can do with it now ..... ;)

NormanFLinux
May 13th, 2011, 03:10 AM
My USB stick is formatted as a single partition.

I've tried it both ways. I left the downloads and third party software boxes checked and unchecked and the installer still refuses to advance to the next screen.

I've also left the network disconnected and turned off the wireless LAN. It still doesn't advance!

If there is a way to edit the Ubiquity file to get around this bug, it would be awesome. I know this installer ran fine in 10.04 and 10.10.

23dornot23d
May 13th, 2011, 03:21 AM
Sorry for butting in ..... just wondered if it was fully locked up - or doing searches on
big hard drives .....

How many drives do you have ..... and are there any problems on any of them ....
it usually tries to read all the drives on your system first

and sets the partition table up ready for any alterations .....

It also usually asks to unmount any mounted drives .....

Just a thought ..... do you have any other USB drives plugged in for backups etc .....

My Terrabyte hard drive takes ages to register ..... it searches like mad through all the
partitions on it ....

Uh, kinda. Copy the icon directory to the folder /usr/share/icons that will let you select them with gnome-tweak-tool.
Ok that bit worked ..... onward .... ;)

I like the look of this idea ..... will try it now ....

NormanFLinux
May 13th, 2011, 03:28 AM
No. I have just a 4 GB San Cruzer drive and my main netbook drive is 160 GB SATA.

There is no problem with booting up to the live environment... the 11.04 installer just won't advance screens.

23dornot23d
May 13th, 2011, 03:45 AM
Ok it was just a thought ..... is the DVD ok no marks on it .... I have had that happen once
before ..... seemed to burn ok and there were some scuffs on the DVD .....

other than that ..... try a fresh DVD ..... or another DVD drive if you have one ....
was the DVD burnt on the same DVD drive you are reading from or another one ....

clutching at straws here .....

I have had drives that would not read DVD's properly if I went from my laptop drive to my Desktop drive .......

That's me out of ideas ,,,, now ( so if its not any of them carry on ) sorry

cbowman57
May 13th, 2011, 03:47 AM
My USB stick is formatted as a single partition.

I've tried it both ways. I left the downloads and third party software boxes checked and unchecked and the installer still refuses to advance to the next screen.

I've also left the network disconnected and turned off the wireless LAN. It still doesn't advance!

If there is a way to edit the Ubiquity file to get around this bug, it would be awesome. I know this installer ran fine in 10.04 and 10.10.

Duh! I feel like an idiot. The obvious way to workaround Ubiquity is to use the alternate-install.iso, that uses a text based installer. Go that route and I'll give you the basic recipe to create your own gNatty Gnome. :)

My goal with the iso was to make it easy for Ubuntu users to try Gnome 3.0 w/out having to use Fedora or Suse. But since that throws up a roadblock for you right now there is nothing to stop you from building your own gNatty installation. It's not hard, magic or rocket science. :)

cbowman57
May 13th, 2011, 04:23 AM
@23dornot23d, here are a couple metacity themes that might look cool with the Tron desktop:

MCUniverse (http://lagadesk.deviantart.com/art/MCUniverse-Metacity-158372641?q=boost%3Apopular%20metacity&qo=71)

http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/084/b/2/MCUniverse_Metacity_by_LaGaDesk.png

MGT Suite (http://cisoun.deviantart.com/art/MGT-Suite-Metacity-Pack-0-2-94729206?q=boost%3Apopular%20metacity&qo=1)

http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs32/i/2008/230/6/2/MGT_Suite_Metacity_Pack_0_2_by_Cisoun.jpg

Hydrangea (http://ebupof.deviantart.com/art/Hydrangea-94056925?q=boost%3Apopular%20metacity&qo=96)

http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs32/i/2008/220/4/c/Hydrangea_by_ebupof.png

deviantArt-metacity (http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/deviantArt-metacity?content=133988)

http://gnome-look.org/CONTENT/content-pre2/133988-2.jpg

Yeah, I'm bored. :)

The metacity is just the border & title bar, you probably knew that but some might not. So picture these borders with an appropriate GTK3 theme.

YesWeCan
May 13th, 2011, 04:33 AM
Yeah, I'm bored. :)
In that case...can you splice the alternate installer into your iso? :)

cbowman57
May 13th, 2011, 04:44 AM
In that case...can you splice the alternate installer into your iso? :)

I would if I knew how. :)

cbowman57
May 13th, 2011, 05:36 AM
Some people might not want to wait to download an ISO and prefer to create their own gNatty Gnome, especially if they run 64-bit since an ISO isn't really available. I have also been made aware that some people are having a problem using Ubuquity (the installer in 11.04), their option is to use an alternate-installer.iso (http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/alternative-download) available from Ubuntu, it uses a text based installer (doesn't mean command line it still walks you through the process with menus). I can assume if you're looking at this thread you already know what Ubuntu/linux looks and runs like so a "preview" isn't really required.

Anyhow, the recipe/link for the recipe is in post #1 (down near the bottom).

Thanks to everyone involved, and a special thanks to the UGR team & Rico, without their efforts we'd probably be waiting for 11.10 before Gnome 3.0 comes to Ubuntu.

philnice
May 13th, 2011, 05:37 AM
Well, that experiment turned into disaster..! Not really. :) Ubiquity failed, and 80% of the packages never made it to the hd. The funny thing was, the system booted right after.
So when i got to purge unity and compiz, only a small part has been left of them anyway.
Dpkg wouldn't let me reconfigure x, so after two reboots, i typed gnome-session --replace in a shell, and then was the magic...
Apparently, i had two shells running at the same time. Fallback in place of screensaver, and the normal gnome shell. I could switch between triggering the up left corner...!! LOL!
I installed fglrx, and things were the same slow after. I've tried to purge all the other graphic drivers, but synaptic wanted to remove everything else also, in exchange. Didn't like that offer much, really. :)
Finally i purged fglrx to try with mesa, and the shell lost most of its elements (icons mainly) as usual.
Another thing i'm going to try, is reload the panel to see if everything change.
I wouldn't consider of this as a failure, since it turned to hell. I 'll try another time.

philnice
May 13th, 2011, 05:41 AM
Thanks to everyone involved, and a special thanks to the UGR team & Rico, without their efforts we'd probably be waiting for 11.10 before Gnome 3.0 comes to Ubuntu.
A living nightmare! - So true. :)

cbowman57
May 13th, 2011, 05:45 AM
@philnice, if you have problems with Ubiquity you might want to build after installing from the alternate-installer.iso

philnice
May 13th, 2011, 05:48 AM
@philnice, if you have problems with Ubiquity you might want to build after installing from the alternate-installer.iso
I was just thinking about that. Why not..? :)

cbowman57
May 13th, 2011, 05:54 AM
I was just thinking about that. Why not..? :)

Yeah, it's not like you're making a Remastersys image, or screwing around with UCK. It's just a matter of (UGR recommends a fresh install) of adding some repos and typing a few commands in a terminal. :)

philnice
May 13th, 2011, 06:10 AM
Yeah, it's not like you're making a Remastersys image, or screwing around with UCK. It's just a matter of (UGR recommends a fresh install) of adding some repos and typing a few commands in a terminal. :)
True, and boring also..! I prefer remastersys, and perhaps, UCK..? (Don't know, i should try first).
But wait a minute... To do all of this, i need a working system.. And since gnome 3 is a frontend.. Yea! need that too..!! :)

cbowman57
May 13th, 2011, 06:18 AM
Notice anything different? :D

http://kmzipq.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pvxjybGnWRYak4p_QTk8XoHyLnU46tGvZ5wQymQSl-YoqTXGVNzNGXjURZcDuHYl16TsFPIhCN8K5th31_bQraGPsmyr mVuk2/new-extensions.png?psid=1

philnice
May 13th, 2011, 06:30 AM
Notice anything different? :D
Can't really tell.. What was it?

cbowman57
May 13th, 2011, 06:30 AM
@waspbloke & anyone else that might be using the 64-bit image.

I advise you to remove the extensions from /usr/share/gnome-shell/extensions, I ran into a situation where they might cause a problem. Extensions should be in ~/.local/share/gnome-shell/extensions

I might be overly cautious but it shouldn't affect the way your extensions function.