PDA

View Full Version : gNatty Gnome Live ISO

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8]

23dornot23d
October 23rd, 2011, 11:25 AM
I put 3 options in the dock ..... very clean and quick ......

Firefox
File Manager
Terminal

The other applications I get from the applications menu ...... either in cairo-dock or top left activities main menu ......

I like options .... and no matter where my mouse is a menu is not far away ...... very quick to
use this way .... and no un neccessary thinking about where things are .......

Speed of use is my main objective ......

A mouseover and 1 click to get whatever you want or need ...... and hardly any typing ......

Loving the start of the new project already ...... like a kid with a new toy ......

UNITY does not give me any inspiration to do anything with it ...... its purely a devs toy they have full control over it and hardly gives any control to the user. ( thats why its not on every other system like GS is )

Exact opposite with Gnome-Shell ...... very open and I can see it developing fast .... with a world of people interested in helping too ...... :)

cbowman57
October 24th, 2011, 01:16 AM
Just messing around with my gnome only minimal installation.

Really can't figure out what people miss about Gnome 2.

23dornot23d
October 24th, 2011, 01:02 PM
I know what you mean Gnome 2 to Gnome 3 ..... it takes a little time to adapt to new ways but once you do then the fun begins
all over ...... spent yesterday messing about with multiple drives and although I managed two installs of RIOME ...... neither are finding the boot drive ....... something to do with a raid drive I have on here.

May take a copy onto the laptop today and try that out ....

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/7042/14848254.jpg

cbowman57
October 24th, 2011, 01:58 PM
Another funny observation, people are going on about gnome 2 like it self-destructs on a schedule. For the truly dedicated gnome 2 user I bet people will be running it for years.

Have you noticed how fast themes & extensions are coming out? Having Ubuntu users adopt G-S is going to be a real catalyst.

Off to search for the nomodeset switch, going to try & resurrect my Riome installation today.

23dornot23d
October 24th, 2011, 03:35 PM
Ok yep always wondered why people get so attached to systems ...... but can feel it happening here with
GS ..... maybe the ones who are really attached to Gnome2 had a lot of input into it ...... so do not want to let it go ...... as you say it will be around for years to come .....

Ok manged to get RIOME installed and am typing from it now ....... get yours resurrected and we can start playing again .... ;)

no idea why raid is so odd ....... if I unplug the RAID drive ..... my grub will install properly ...... but with it plugged in throws syntax errors ....... think it may be something to do with one of the installs on there ....

But I have Kanotix ,Debian, Slackware, Arch-Bang and Riome now on the raid drive ........ good thing by unplugging keeps my Arch install safe ....... because I have grown to like that one very much ..... :)

RIOME is on an External Hard drive now ...... so can be taken to plug into my laptop after ....... and set up dual screen.

cbowman57
October 25th, 2011, 05:27 PM
Started a new thread to share gnome shell 3.2 setups.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=11391910#post11391910

cbowman57
October 27th, 2011, 10:15 PM
Interesting news, Remastersys is in active development again.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1870607

wlake
October 28th, 2011, 08:44 AM
In case anyone is interested there is another Oneiric gnome shell remix out there 32 and 64 bit by Jan Hoffmann. I have been running the 32 bit (installed) and it runs well. It comes with no extensions (I added the webupd8 ppa). Here is the link:

http://ubuntu-gs-remix.sourceforge.net/

cbowman57
October 28th, 2011, 02:28 PM
@wlake, I saw that mentioned somewhere yesterday, thanks for the link.

cbowman57
November 1st, 2011, 06:36 PM
Unless there are objections I intend to remove the last of the gNatty iso's from linuxtracker within a few days.

cecilpierce
November 2nd, 2011, 01:21 PM
Hi Chuck, I tried that $39 HD, no go! I dont like sata drives.
:confused:
Wonder what happen to riome ?
I saw that link "Ubuntu GNOME Shell Remix", did you try it?
I need to get a new IDE drive but no money yet, I had to resize this one to get the livecd for precise on here, all my other upgrades are a mess :P
later gator, Cecil

cbowman57
November 2nd, 2011, 02:15 PM
Hi Chuck, I tried that $39 HD, no go! I dont like sata drives.
:confused:
Wonder what happen to riome ?
I saw that link "Ubuntu GNOME Shell Remix", did you try it?
I need to get a new IDE drive but no money yet, I had to resize this one to get the livecd for precise on here, all my other upgrades are a mess :P
later gator, Cecil

Morning Cecil, getting harder to find IDE drives all the time.

I'm guessing Ryan is working on Riome, it was looking good.

No, haven't looked at that Remix, you only need 10-20Gb to check it out. I seem to be spending all my time on Arch or the mini-12.04 install. Don't know how well Unity is integrated with 12.04 but as a Gnome-only installation it's great.

Maybe Santa will bring you that HD for Christmas. :)

IanW
November 2nd, 2011, 02:25 PM
I need to get a new IDE drive but no money yet

SATA could work if you can find an extra quarter.
SATA to IDE converter (http://www.amazon.com/SATA-PATA-Drive-Interface-Adapter/dp/B002Y2NI4M/ref=pd_cp_e_2)

cbowman57
November 2nd, 2011, 02:33 PM
SATA could work if you can find an extra quarter.
SATA to IDE converter (http://www.amazon.com/SATA-PATA-Drive-Interface-Adapter/dp/B002Y2NI4M/ref=pd_cp_e_2)

That's a heckuva deal, even after you factor in shipping.

cecilpierce
November 2nd, 2011, 04:17 PM
Just got back from taking the sata back and the shelf was empty for them, all they have now is PATA-IDE's, one tet for 139 bucks, the guy there said the prices went up cause Thailand is under water. dah! :confused:

I don't understand why the sata didnt work ?
It just made a beep beep and the bios locked up for about 15 secs.

cbowman57
November 2nd, 2011, 04:48 PM
Just got back from taking the sata back and the shelf was empty for them, all they have now is PATA-IDE's, one tet for 139 bucks, the guy there said the prices went up cause Thailand is under water. dah! :confused:

I don't understand why the sata didnt work ?
It just made a beep beep and the bios locked up for about 15 secs.

Yeah, read about that.

If your board can handle SATA I don't know why it wouldn't work.

cbowman57
December 30th, 2011, 08:28 PM
For anyone that might still be subscribed to this thread, I removed the torrents from linuxtracker.org today.

Thanks guys, I learned a lot with this project.

cecilpierce
November 13th, 2012, 12:28 PM
Hi Chuck,
Where you and Keith disappear to ?

cbowman57
November 13th, 2012, 02:11 PM
Hi Cecil

Busy with life. Been living 50' from the Gulf from Jul-Oct, just moved into a new rental a little further inland but better layout & no landlord hassles.

Been using Arch (Cinnarch currently) & still happy with gnome shell. Haven't seen hide nor hair of Keith in months. Thought he was occupied with Waylon?

Hope he's well. You doing ok?

I do miss the gNatty days. :)

Bucky Ball
November 13th, 2012, 02:34 PM
Thread Closed

Reason: Necromancy.

Could you please continue your discussion via PM. This thread has been dormant for a year. ;)