PDA

View Full Version : Forums Health Session UDS-O

Technoviking
May 9th, 2011, 10:40 PM
The forums session will be tomorrow at 10am CEST (UTC +2).

Here is the etherpad for it.
http://summit.ubuntu.com/uds-o/meeting/community-o-forum-health/

The webchat is here:
http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=ubuntu-uds-jozsef

and the stream is here
http://icecast.ubuntu.com:8000/jozsef.ogg.m3u

Thanks,
T-V

dext
June 6th, 2011, 10:30 AM
to little to late to upgrade forum? makes me wonder why Ubuntu team are bothering when its obvious users are dropping off more and more

CreativeReach
June 6th, 2011, 11:58 PM
Hey! I cant wait for this forum to get an updated Template!

http://cdn.omgubuntu.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/ufss.png

dext
June 7th, 2011, 12:06 AM
whens the update gonna be done?

tgalati4
June 7th, 2011, 12:43 AM
The forums needs a Unity interface. That will keep it interesting.

teh603
June 7th, 2011, 03:29 AM
The forums needs a Unity interface. That will keep it interesting.Funny, I was about to suggest the Plasma Desktop...

ronacc
June 7th, 2011, 03:57 AM
I hope thats only a mock-up , there seem to be a bunch of sub forums missing .

CreativeReach
June 7th, 2011, 04:36 AM
Its about 6 moths old, and according to the uds segment will be up soon.

alphacrucis2
June 7th, 2011, 05:58 AM
Its about 6 moths old, and according to the uds segment will be up soon.

There is a sticky in the Community Cafe on this subject that suggests the new forum layout will appear the same day that Duke Nukem Forever gets released :p.

CreativeReach
June 7th, 2011, 08:46 PM
There is a sticky in the Community Cafe on this subject that suggests the new forum layout will appear the same day that Duke Nukem Forever gets released :p.

and what does Duke Nukem have to do with it?

CreativeReach
June 7th, 2011, 08:49 PM
ah-ha which is it?

http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=191738&d=1305032800

tgalati4
June 9th, 2011, 06:22 PM
I love the over-caffeinated look of the talking head. An addition of a lip-piercing would make it complete.

ronacc
June 9th, 2011, 08:00 PM
nah thats the bat plane approaching a target :p

ranch hand
June 10th, 2011, 12:10 AM
Yes I do believe that there will be calls for a new Forum theme quite quickly if they release what looks like an eye sore.

kansasnoob
June 10th, 2011, 12:45 AM
One more development that proves Canonical could care less about the visually impaired!

IMHO SABDFL needs to fire the whole design team, himself included, and get back to the true roots of FOSS.

Honestly, we seem to moving from "worked somewhat well" to "maybe this crap will work" :(

dext
June 10th, 2011, 12:55 AM
Yes I do believe that there will be calls for a new Forum theme quite quickly if they release what looks like an eye sore.
totally agree with that comment +1

cariboo907
June 10th, 2011, 01:12 AM
Fortunately that screenshot isn't very accurate, we have been working on it to make it easier for everyone to read.

This what it currently looks like, but nothing is written in stone yet.

The screenshot is kind of small, as I'm on my netbook at the moment :)

seeker5528
June 10th, 2011, 01:12 AM
One more development that proves Canonical could care less about the visually impaired!

Because of the not as dark as black text color or because the smaller font size used for the category header text?

Later, Seeker

seeker5528
June 10th, 2011, 01:23 AM

The orange in that shot looks brighter than the shot at the beginning of the thread and harder for me to look at for any length of time, without going cross eyed. Maybe that's just because of where it's showing on my screen relative to the light reflection on my monitor.

Later, Seeker

kansasnoob
June 10th, 2011, 01:25 AM
Because of the not as dark as black text color or because the smaller font size used for the category header text?

Later, Seeker

To some degree both. Visual limitations vary from person to person, but for me the introduction of the bright GD orange is equivalent to snow blindness to the common person.

Please just shove an ice pick in my brain and get it over with :(

cariboo907
June 10th, 2011, 01:44 AM
The screenshot is what Technoviking came up with, with some input from the staff. Up until the last UDS, I'm not sure the Design Team was even aware of the forums, we are waiting to see what they come up with, as well as Canonical modifying some custom scripts that ubuntu-geek created while he was running the forums, before it was taken over by Canonical/Ubuntu.

ranch hand
June 10th, 2011, 06:29 AM
Fortunately that screenshot isn't very accurate, we have been working on it to make it easier for everyone to read.

The tabs are nice.

The rest is just sad.

ranch hand
June 10th, 2011, 06:34 AM
To some degree both. Visual limitations vary from person to person, but for me the introduction of the bright GD orange is equivalent to snow blindness to the common person.

Please just shove an ice pick in my brain and get it over with :(
I have spent a lot of time riding in blazing sun squinting through darkened glasses looking all around for livestock to gather for on purpose or an other. The glare really gets to you after an hour or two and you have to "shade up" for a few minutes.

The glare created by that color combo is no where near as pleasant.

ranch hand
June 10th, 2011, 09:48 PM
I was at work today (working for the county Weed Control Board) and found the inspiration for the wonderful color in the new theme mock up.

kansasnoob
June 11th, 2011, 08:30 AM
I was at work today (working for the county Weed Control Board) and found the inspiration for the wonderful color in the new theme mock up.

Yes! That's close :D

Sorry to be such a grouch sometimes, but when someone says, "hey look", and shines a bright light in someone's eyes I think they should almost expect that.

OTOH when I look at these two things:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=10910157&postcount=3

http://www.ubuntu.com/

The color seems nearly identical, but the first one just almost tears at me, while the latter is only slightly unpleasant.

Is it the amount of orange?

I really don't know.

Something possibly comparative; the worst store aisle for me is the cereal aisle because of all the wild colors. No other food product uses such extreme colors. (Snacks come close but usually don't take up nearly as much space).

But, if I could have my druthers, there'd only be about 5 or 6 colors in the rainbow ;)

EDIT: I know what it is now! The bars, horizontal in this case, something about "bars" (whether vertical or horizontal) sets off a "scrolling" thing with my eyes. I know this sounds weird but my neurologist actually explained this to me at one time.

Even just looking through either vertical or horizontal blinds starts this. Right after the meningo-encephalitis I'd suffer seizures from that and many doctors offices had either vertical or horizontal blinds.

I know it sounds weird but it's the color and frequency of the horizontal "bars". With the current forum structure we go white to gray and it's almost indistinguishable, but with the stark orange color on the title bars it's just too much.

With my aversion to bars I guess I better stay out of jail.

ronacc
June 11th, 2011, 11:06 AM
Its called alert orange for a reason , It draws the eye to it and its used for warning signs for that reason . Even with out serious visual impairment the first one is rather grating to me and the arrangement with the long bars draws the eye away from the lines of type . Mabye the guy who came up with that layout also designs cereal boxes , each brand wants you to see its box and and ignore the others thats why they use wild color combos .

teh603
June 12th, 2011, 01:54 PM
Its called alert orange for a reason , It draws the eye to it and its used for warning signs for that reason . Even with out serious visual impairment the first one is rather grating to me and the arrangement with the long bars draws the eye away from the lines of type . Mabye the guy who came up with that layout also designs cereal boxes , each brand wants you to see its box and and ignore the others thats why they use wild color combos .I thought they called it hunter orange, because hunters wore it since its about the only color not found in nature (and deer can't seem to see it). A hunter wearing hunter orange stands out to other hunters, so there'll be less cases of "I thought it was a deer!"

ronacc
June 12th, 2011, 02:21 PM
thats another name for it . most animals (birds excepted ) are color blind and much more sensitive to movement .

CreativeReach
June 12th, 2011, 10:35 PM
Personally I love the Purple Orange combos!

ranch hand
June 13th, 2011, 12:27 AM
Personally I love the Purple Orange combos!
The ones some of use refer to as Purple Puke. Very attractive.

kansasnoob
June 13th, 2011, 01:00 AM
The ones some of use refer to as Purple Puke. Very attractive.

Have you checked out the default gnome3 "blue blinds" in Fedora. It's also present in "virgin" Natty gnome3 via PPA.

That even sets off this "scrolling" thing with my eyes. While I realize that effects a very small percentage of any population you'd somewhat expect web-site and software designers to avoid such things ;)

Temüjin
June 13th, 2011, 01:21 AM
That even sets off this "scrolling" thing with my eyes. While I realize that effects a very small percentage of any population you'd somewhat expect web-site and software designers to avoid such things ;)

Just as soon as the advertisers stop making blinking ads that send photo-epileptics to the floor in a seizure fit..

ronacc
June 13th, 2011, 01:28 AM
In their defense , which I loathe to do considering their choice of colors, they may not even be aware of it . bring it to their attention and then if they don't correct it we will have good grounds to raise heck .

cariboo907
June 13th, 2011, 01:42 AM
I have to agree with ronacc, this is an accessibility issue and should be brought to Canonical/Ubuntu/Design Teams's attention. There may be a few web sites out there designed with accessibility in mind, but I bet there are very few.

Starks
June 13th, 2011, 01:46 AM
I want to vomit.

The new template is absurdly bright and saccharine in tone.

Canonical, are you trying to blind me?

cariboo907
June 13th, 2011, 02:14 AM
The last screenshot is what Technoviking came up with, after toning it down quite a bit, Canonical had nothing to do with it. We are waiting to see what the design team comes up with.

CreativeReach
June 13th, 2011, 02:17 AM
The last screenshot is what Technoviking came up with, after toning it down quite a bit, Canonical had nothing to do with it. We are waiting to see what the design team comes up with.

Knowing them, it will be awesome!

kansasnoob
June 13th, 2011, 02:58 AM
I have to agree with ronacc, this is an accessibility issue and should be brought to Canonical/Ubuntu/Design Teams's attention. There may be a few web sites out there designed with accessibility in mind, but I bet there are very few.

I've participated in Ayatana for quite some time and I've almost given up ATM. Why?

#1) What did hiding the boot options of the Live CD/DVD/USB improve? You still have to make a choice later on but, if you happened to be distracted for more than 2 seconds during boot, you now need to reboot and start over :(

#2) Why make it impossible to change the duration of notifications? Ubuntu decided we can all see equally well and that we're all glued to the puter long enough to see the notifications they decided to display during the time they decided to display them :mad:

#3) Need I remind anyone of the pratfalls in Maverick's ubiquity? I tried like heck to prevent that but I was shot down! It was much better in Natty but how could such a bad mistake be made to begin with?

#4) Unity! Suffice it to say that Ubuntu's "unity" has been anything but "unifying". While I've seen some screaming and shouting over things like pulse-audio and grub2 nothing has compared to the transition to unity!

Especially regarding the latter I've followed Ayatana and it's 100% obvious that the designers have no intention of doing anything other than what THEY think is best! Thank goodness they've not yet forced Kubuntu, Xubuntu, etc. to follow suit!

Ubuntu has clearly taken on a "one size fits all" mentality and no one can overcome that mentality. Only time will tell. If SABDFL is right then we'll see see bug #1 fixed. Only time will tell :D

cariboo907
June 13th, 2011, 03:31 AM
I agree that a lot of changes may have been implemented to soon, but for the most part things are working out pretty well. kansasnoob, your efforts to get changes in the installer are much appreciated, even if they weren't implemented right away.

The biggest problem with Unity, is fanboyism, I see way to many comments saying that they've always used Ubuntu, and they want to continue using Ubuntu, but the developers ruined it, and now they don't know what to do. From what I've seen, the majority of users are using the default installation, and doing the equivalent of putting new seat covers and a shiny gas cap door on their new car. There is nothing wrong with that, but Gnome has decided to change the way things are done, and Ubuntu has followed.

These changes have been in the works since 2008, so it isn't like there was no warning. I enjoy the change, Unity may not be for everyone, but there are several members of the Ubuntu family that are waiting in the wings for more users to just give them a chance.

Don't feel like you are giving up on Ubuntu when deciding to use another version, Lubuntu, Xubuntu and Kubuntu all benefit from the changes made in Ubuntu. The other versions are the same underneath the user interface as Ubuntu, only with less features, which you can add yourself anytime you want.

ronacc
June 13th, 2011, 03:59 AM
I salute your persistence and sympathize with your frustration kansas . I do think that your accessibility issue is important and should be raised . Who better to do it than someone directly affected . I will be happy to offer support in any way I can .

kansasnoob
June 13th, 2011, 04:22 AM
I salute your persistence and sympathize with your frustration kansas . I do think that your accessibility issue is important and should be raised . Who better to do it than someone directly affected . I will be happy to offer support in any way I can .

IMHO this originated here and shouldn't need any comment beyond the forums. I don't think forum design extends to Canonical.

Temüjin
June 13th, 2011, 04:28 AM
*Crosses fingers for a white text on black background version. White pages hurt my eyes at night.

ronacc
June 13th, 2011, 04:33 AM
IMHO this originated here and shouldn't need any comment beyond the forums. I don't think forum design extends to Canonical.

I got the impression from the first post that it was being discussed at the UDS which would certainly imply canonical involvement .

cariboo907
June 13th, 2011, 04:52 AM
Canonical has taken over the task of converting some of ubuntu-geek's voodoo scripts to work with the next version of vBulletin, and from the impression I got was that the design team was going to look at the overall Ubuntu branding.