PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] External monitor problems, unity does not expand, keypress switches back

jcodina
May 9th, 2011, 09:12 AM
I have an Acer aspire one d250. with ubuntu 11.04 and unity
The netbook resolution is 1024x600 and unity works fine (almost all the time, except when the touch-pad is disabled..)
When I connect an external monitor or a projector, it detects it correctly and I can switch between the laptop screen and the external one using the fn keys.
But I experience two problems:

Unity Expansion: Unity does not expand the working area, so if my external screen has higher resolution, the top bar and lateral ones seem to be ok but the desktop keeps the original area visible even that it expands the working area, so most of the items are not visible. This means that from the screen size I have a small rectangle of 1024x600 where I can see the contents of the desktop, while the rest remains blank.
When switching with the fn key (and not the monitor manager) even that it seems to be able to switch between the screens, when I press any key it comes back to the original configuration (ignoring what I did with the fn keys). This was an issue in 10.04 already

The first issue is the most crucial one, as I need my netbook to do presentations.

Valentini
May 12th, 2011, 03:47 PM
I'm having the exact same issue. Have you submitted a bug report?

ChrisHodgesUK
May 27th, 2011, 12:57 PM
I've just raised a new thread on this - hadn't found this one when I did. It's not just Unity - I can get it in both unity and gnome.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1767441

Edit: Mines an Acer D255

svast
May 31st, 2011, 09:11 PM
I don't hav that issue when using Gnome classic (no effects). Do you?

ChrisHodgesUK
June 1st, 2011, 09:23 AM
I do here.

jcodina
June 2nd, 2011, 12:34 PM
with the ubuntu classic happens the same to me.
It was working in the previous versions os ubuntu (9.04, I tink)

jcodina
October 7th, 2011, 08:34 PM
I'm checking 11.10
the resolution problems do not exist anymore, It detects the external monitor, and I can use it at full screen, with unity.
But still any key pressed changes the configuration.
The keypress only changes the configuration once, to the next one, so you must stop just at the one before.

kordosky
October 12th, 2011, 09:17 PM
with the ubuntu classic happens the same to me.
It was working in the previous versions os ubuntu (9.04, I tink)

I can confirm this. I have a Dell Latitude E4300. In 9.04 I could project without trouble and press keys to navigate PDF files, etc. Now, with 10.04 and visual effects set to "none" I can manage to project but every key I've tried, other than Fn, toggles the display to a mode where only a small portion of my screen is shown, or just toggles the monitor output off. I have no workaround, other than not pressing any keys... pretty inconvenient when giving a presentation.