PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Battery monitor does not work (11.04)

silkworm2.5
May 9th, 2011, 02:40 AM
Hi :)

I've been having trouble with the battery monitor in Ubuntu 11.04.

Back in 10.04 (I skipped 10.10) it could show me the percentage of charge left, but not the amount of time until it ran out/finished charging.
Now though, I just get the message: Laptop Battery (estimating...) twice. It has two in the list at the same time with only one battery.

Is there a way to fix this issue? Or at least get it to display the percentage left rather than estimating the amount of time it has?
Thanks.

Details: Ubuntu 11.04 64 bit. HP Compaq laptop. 2.20 GHz dual core processor. 4 GB RAM.

DavidRaid
May 17th, 2011, 03:22 PM
Same problem here, HP Mini 110 running up-to-date Natty.
When disconnecting power cord, a notification appears telling me the percentage so it is aware of it, it just doesn't show it in the indicator, instead showing two 'estimating' lines.

Restarts with and without battery don't solve the problem.

DavidRaid
May 17th, 2011, 04:02 PM
Installing acpi (sudo apt-get install acpi) seems to get rid of the second 'estimating'. I'll wait it out to see if it finishes estimating completely.

Benchrest
May 30th, 2011, 04:24 AM
Mine was working correctly until two days ago while using my laptop out doors. The display was to dark and if I turned up the brightness, after a few seconds it dimmed again. I turned off "Reduce backlight brightness" and "dim display while idle". After that my battery only showed estimating for both time left and percent charged. I reset the two settings but it still only shows estimating for charging and for time left while running on battery. I would sure like to get it reset to the default it had.

rich52x
May 31st, 2011, 10:40 AM
I had the same problem

This worked for me

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/02/battery-applet-status-ubuntu/

It replaces the standard battery monitor with one that actually works, just follow the instructions on the page i linked

Didn't take me five minutes :D

Benchrest
May 31st, 2011, 02:27 PM
Yes it works, I have it installed. But it is not a good solution as it adds an additional battery indicator that is there even when your 100% charged. And I can't get rid of the old one as three icons are tied to that applet. Getting rid of the old battery icon I would also lose my wireless internet connection icon and speaker icon. I sure wish these icons were all separate applets. I bet they can be added individually like this battery applet icon.

rich52x
June 1st, 2011, 11:07 PM
Getting rid of the old battery icon I would also lose my wireless internet connection icon and speaker icon
I wonder why that is, on mine, during the install of the alternative, it asks me if i want to remove the old one, and it just removes that

Strange

But yes, I do agree that it isnt a good solution, such a necessity should be fully working with a distro that should 'just work'

Benchrest
June 1st, 2011, 11:13 PM
I did not get the choice to replace the existing monitor. Also, the first time I attempted to install update I got an error. I found two entries added to sources for battery monitor. Disabling them allowed updates to work. I am running Natty with Ubuntu classic desktop (gnome).

htedrom
August 23rd, 2011, 04:00 AM
same problem here, other battery monitors work fine, just not the default gnome one - shame because I like the new icon (it is a new icon right?) =(