PDA

View Full Version : Corrupt Windows Registry

Afiorentino
May 8th, 2011, 07:14 PM
So here is my problem:

I need to do a system repair on my windows drive because an important registry file is corrupt, my dvd drive is toast, and my windows installation disc is in storage 2000 miles away.

I managed to find the appropriate disc image I need, but have no access to a dvd drive for the time being. I tried using unetbootin, but I'm not able to boot the windows image from my thumb drive.

Any ideas?

NormanFLinux
May 11th, 2011, 02:54 AM
Did you back up your data before it went kaput?

I have a feeling once one registry file gets corrupted, there are more problems and its time for a fresh install.

Afiorentino
May 11th, 2011, 11:36 PM
I'm using a dual boot system and can still access my windows hard drive through linux.

You think a fresh install is my best bet?

NormanFLinux
May 13th, 2011, 02:36 AM
Since you can still access your Windows hard drive through Linux, back up your critical data from there and then do a fresh install.

In my experience, once registry files get corrupted, fixing them is usually more trouble than its worth.

collisionystm
May 13th, 2011, 02:41 AM
Can you safe mode?

oldsoundguy
May 13th, 2011, 02:46 AM
yes, if you can get into safe mode, do so with networking and go get Glary Utilities (FREE) install it and run it.

wilee-nilee
May 13th, 2011, 03:57 AM
Which MS OS is it?

Do you have access to a windows computer I think you need admin for what I'm thinking.

If XP you can use this tool to load a thumb. This only works with a legit disc or ISO I forget which you use, a p2p will probably not work, just saying.;)
http://wintoflash.com/home/en/

If Windows 7 I have had sucess every time with, in Linux formatting a thumb with a NTFS putting the bootflag on it and extracting the W7 ISO to the thumb, boots no problem. I suspect Vista will work this way I have never tried.

handy
May 13th, 2011, 09:32 AM
So System Restore can't take you back to a time before the problem?

Afiorentino
May 18th, 2011, 04:31 PM
I've been completely unable to boot into XP through any of the advanced boot options (safe mode, etc.)

I'll give the wintoflash website a try and get back to you.