PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 11.04 / Catalyst 11.4 / Radeon HD6600m / Sony Vaio VPCSB

shenten
May 7th, 2011, 07:26 PM
Hi,

I've installed ubuntu 11.04 and I can't seem to have my card be detected by the drivers. I tried the proprietary drivers from jockey, and the ones from ATI directly (.run script). Everytime I end up having aticonfig telling me I have unsupported hardware, which is kinda strange.
Keep in mind I have an hybrid graphics setup (dual card setup: ATI and Intel) You can switch between them using a stamina/speed button, I'm on the speed state (which means using the ati card).

root@shenten-Vaio:~# sudo aticonfig --initial
aticonfig: No supported adapters detected
root@shenten-Vaio:~#

If I check for the kernel detection although , I get the following:

root@shenten-Vaio:~# lspci | grep VGA
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc NI Whistler [AMD Radeon HD 6600M Series]

I checked for the switch:

root@shenten-Vaio:~# sudo grep -i switcheroo /boot/config-2.6.*
CONFIG_VGA_SWITCHEROO=y

but when I want to see the current state, it doesn't work:

root@shenten-Vaio:~# sudo cat /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch
cat: /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch: No such file or directory

I tried loading the module, but no success:

root@shenten-Vaio:/sys/kernel/debug# sudo modprobe vgaswitcheroo
FATAL: Module vgaswitcheroo not found.
root@shenten-Vaio:/sys/kernel/debug# sudo modprobe vga_switcheroo
FATAL: Module vga_switcheroo not found.
root@shenten-Vaio:/sys/kernel/debug#

Does someone have a clue what I could do next ? :)
Thanks

EDIT: I use x64 version, don't know It changes anything

puchaty
May 7th, 2011, 08:39 PM
vga switcheroo is disabled because of catalyst.

(there is no vgaswitcheroo directory in debug).

coolvik
May 18th, 2011, 10:19 AM
Hi,

I'm on a Dell Vostro 3350 which also has a dual graphic card setup.

I'm on a Intel + Ati Radeon HD 6470M setup.

I have the same issue with the driver. It wont detect the ATI adapter.

Anyone with any ideas on how to try this issue out?

puller
May 18th, 2011, 12:31 PM
Take a look here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1744188

coolvik
May 18th, 2011, 02:54 PM
Thanks for the link.

But, I cant really get it working.

X wont start when radeon switched off.

Though well booted and in Gnome I can see the status of my graphic cards via:
cat /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch

I can also turn my descrete card of by:
echo OFF > switch

and turn it on by:
echo ON > switch

When turning the discrete card off the fan slows down, indicating the card is off.

But suddenly I get some kind of flickering in Gnome.

If I reboot my computer while the discrete card turned off Gnome/X wont come back on again.

Any more ideas?

puller
May 18th, 2011, 05:09 PM
I have a VAIO VPCSB1C5E, I did the following:

Added this line at the end of the file /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf :

blacklist radeon

Added the following lines in /etc/rc.local, before exit 0:

chown -R $USER:$USER /sys/kernel/debug
echo OFF > /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch

By doing this I can use the integrated card and keep the ATI switched off.

I was not able to have the ATI card working in standalone (with integrated card switched off).

erikschmitz
May 18th, 2011, 07:22 PM
I have a VAIO VPCSB1C5E, I did the following:

Added this line at the end of the file /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf :

blacklist radeon

Added the following lines in /etc/rc.local, before exit 0:

By doing this I can use the integrated card and keep the ATI switched off.

I was not able to have the ATI card working in standalone (with integrated card switched off).

I did almost the same thing puller did... added to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

blacklist radeon

That stops the radeon module from loading on startup. I had to do this because my HP Dv6t with sandy bridge graphics and Radeon 6770M would only boot correctly half of the time. There's apparently a kernel race condition between the intel and open source radeon drivers.

This leaves the laptop in a state where both graphics chips are powered on, but only one is being used. In order to power the discrete chip off, you need to use vgaswitcheroo

vgaswitcheroo is only loaded (in this case), when both the i915 and radeon drivers are enabled. The loading of vgaswitcheroo should happen automagically with no additional user steps required. So, in rc.local I re-enable the radeon module, and then switch the discrete card off.

modprobe radeon

This powers down the radeon card and doubles battery life.

For what it's worth, if I echo DDIS to the switch file, and log out/in, ubuntu just hangs up.

I too tried installing the AMD Catalyst driver (11.5 from their site), and it doesnt detect my 6770M. It also blacklists the radeon module automatically, thus disabling vgaswitcheroo. It's best to uninstall it (purge fglrx* using apt, or disable it using jockey).

coolvik
May 19th, 2011, 08:39 AM
I did almost the same thing puller did... added to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

blacklist radeon

That stops the radeon module from loading on startup. I had to do this because my HP Dv6t with sandy bridge graphics and Radeon 6770M would only boot correctly half of the time. There's apparently a kernel race condition between the intel and open source radeon drivers.

This leaves the laptop in a state where both graphics chips are powered on, but only one is being used. In order to power the discrete chip off, you need to use vgaswitcheroo

vgaswitcheroo is only loaded (in this case), when both the i915 and radeon drivers are enabled. The loading of vgaswitcheroo should happen automagically with no additional user steps required. So, in rc.local I re-enable the radeon module, and then switch the discrete card off.

modprobe radeon

This powers down the radeon card and doubles battery life.

For what it's worth, if I echo DDIS to the switch file, and log out/in, ubuntu just hangs up.

I too tried installing the AMD Catalyst driver (11.5 from their site), and it doesnt detect my 6770M. It also blacklists the radeon module automatically, thus disabling vgaswitcheroo. It's best to uninstall it (purge fglrx* using apt, or disable it using jockey).

Thanks, this worked for me!

It seems that my setup isn't working with the Catalyst driver... I hope to see some fix in the future. Would be nice to be able to use the discrete card :)

Well it worked in the manner that I get into Gnome. But the display is flickering constantly.

It's for sure not something you can live with.

analyzer123
May 20th, 2011, 08:48 PM
Hello,
I have the same problem on my Sony VAIO VPC-SC (US bestbuy) (almost same as SB). It also has intel/ATI 64xx switchable graphics.

- installed ubuntu 11.04 alternate
- initially touchpad was working wierd, but fixed it with updates
- graphics switching doesnt work
- the fan and harddisk spinning (I have a momentus XT hybrid) is much higher than under windows. Even though I switched on the 'power down harddisk when possible' option, it doesnt do much.
- Unity doesnt work with the latest ATI drivers from the restricted repo
- CCC fails to load. Says driver not loaded correctly.

I think ATI or sony themselves will have to supply the modified drivers which will enable graphics switch. Even in windows, you have to install the modified sony drivers and not the ones from intel or ATI directly.

Hi,

I've installed ubuntu 11.04 and I can't seem to have my card be detected by the drivers. I tried the proprietary drivers from jockey, and the ones from ATI directly (.run script). Everytime I end up having aticonfig telling me I have unsupported hardware, which is kinda strange.
Keep in mind I have an hybrid graphics setup (dual card setup: ATI and Intel) You can switch between them using a stamina/speed button, I'm on the speed state (which means using the ati card).

root@shenten-Vaio:~# sudo aticonfig --initial
aticonfig: No supported adapters detected

If I check for the kernel detection although , I get the following:

root@shenten-Vaio:~# lspci | grep VGA
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc NI Whistler [AMD Radeon HD 6600M Series]

I checked for the switch:

root@shenten-Vaio:~# sudo grep -i switcheroo /boot/config-2.6.*
CONFIG_VGA_SWITCHEROO=y

but when I want to see the current state, it doesn't work:

root@shenten-Vaio:~# sudo cat /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch
cat: /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch: No such file or directory

I tried loading the module, but no success:

root@shenten-Vaio:/sys/kernel/debug# sudo modprobe vgaswitcheroo
FATAL: Module vgaswitcheroo not found.
root@shenten-Vaio:/sys/kernel/debug# sudo modprobe vga_switcheroo
FATAL: Module vga_switcheroo not found.
root@shenten-Vaio:/sys/kernel/debug#

Does someone have a clue what I could do next ? :)
Thanks

EDIT: I use x64 version, don't know It changes anything

ilveroluca
June 18th, 2011, 08:31 AM
erikschmitz's advice above is gold. I'm using a Vaio vpcsb. My battery consumption went from 24 W to 9 W, resulting in a battery life going from little over 2 hours to 5 hours. Gold!

So in brief, blacklist radeon and then after boot (e.g. in /etc/rc.local):

modprobe radeon

One more thing. To "enable" the blacklisting of the radeon module on boot I had to update the initrd image with

update-initramfs -u

jishnu
June 26th, 2011, 10:17 AM
Radeon hd 6770m not working in ubuntu 11.04

Hi,
I have installed ubuntu 11.04 in my laptop.Through additioanal driver menu I installed radeon driver .After istalation my compiz is not working.While clicking on ATI catalyst control center its showing the following error:

"There was a problem initializing Catalyst Control Center Linux edition. It could be caused by the following.

No ATI graphics driver is installed, or the ATI driver is not functioning properly.
Please install the ATI driver appropriate for you ATI hardware, or configure using aticonfig."

Can any one please help me.

My configuration:
ubuntu 11.04 64 bit
i7,4 GB RAM,RADEON HD 6770M,
LAPTOP-hp dv6-6017tx

puller
June 26th, 2011, 11:01 AM
Do your notebook has hybrid graphics (two switchable graphics card)?

tah_206207
June 26th, 2011, 04:09 PM
Radeon hd 6770m not working in ubuntu 11.04

Hi,
I have installed ubuntu 11.04 in my laptop.Through additioanal driver menu I installed radeon driver .After istalation my compiz is not working.While clicking on ATI catalyst control center its showing the following error:

"There was a problem initializing Catalyst Control Center Linux edition. It could be caused by the following.

No ATI graphics driver is installed, or the ATI driver is not functioning properly.
Please install the ATI driver appropriate for you ATI hardware, or configure using aticonfig."

Can any one please help me.

My configuration:
ubuntu 11.04 64 bit
i7,4 GB RAM,RADEON HD 6770M,
LAPTOP-hp dv6-6017tx
hello
i have this problem with ubuntu 11.4 on hp DV6 6080 too.
when intel open source driver work on ubuntu in 3D mode laptop fan works hard!!
how can i fix this problem and use switch able graphics in ubuntu?
my battery life time in ubuntu is very low but in windows 7 my battery life time is good!( how can i fix this problem too? ).
please help me...
thanks....

puller
June 26th, 2011, 04:10 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1744188

tah_206207
June 27th, 2011, 04:43 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1744188
thanks.
I do these steps:
added to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
Code:
blacklist radeon
in rc.loca
Code:
modprobe radeon echo OFF > /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch
and after that I install my graphic card driver from jocker!
Are these instructions true?

puller
June 27th, 2011, 05:48 PM
No, you do not have to install the proprietary drivers.

tah_206207
June 27th, 2011, 08:05 PM
No, you do not have to install the proprietary drivers.
Ok
how can i use my ati card driver? and how can i switch between 2 graphic cards?

puller
June 27th, 2011, 08:44 PM
Ok
how can i use my ati card driver? and how can i switch between 2 graphic cards?

There's currently no support from ATI.
I've read some news about hybrid graphics with nVidia, but heard nothing from ATI.

ultimatebuster
June 27th, 2011, 10:27 PM
Can anyone using the blacklisting method get a secondary display working without flickering/tearing?

IdeaPad Y460 HD5650/Intel

archwndas
July 17th, 2011, 03:03 AM
Hi Guys,

I have the same problem long ago. I did all these steps and for a couple of months or less I can enjoy long battery life. However, every 2 succesfull boots (or reboots) 3 or 4 reboots end up with a kernel crash. I do not know how to solve this problem.

Is it related to the kernel? (I am using 2.6.39-2)

Has anyone tried the experimental 3.0.0rc6 or something later?

Does this solve the kernel crash problem?

Please help me resolve this ...

opodaniel
August 17th, 2011, 08:39 AM
I am on 2.6.39.4 and is working quite well. Sometimes windows loose the decoration and I have to log-out in order to have window bars.

If someone is try solution from this topic you don't have to blacklist Radeon card because by blacklisting you won't be able to switch it off hence the battery will be drain very quickly. The only thing you have to do is

$sudo nano /etc/rc.local
and add

archwndas
August 21st, 2011, 05:30 AM
Guys any news on this? Yes the

command may fix the problem temporarily, but we would like the whole thing to work as easy as it works in Windows. So, in my Sony VAIO VPCSB laptop, there is a button which switches between the integrated intel and the ATI radeon card. What can I do to have it working as in Windows? I remember that back in June, the fglrx was not working properly with this ATI card. What is the status now?

opodaniel
September 15th, 2011, 05:10 PM
What you say is not entirely true. This Windows function of switching from one card to the other is only available using Sony's drivers. People have reported loosing this function after upgrading to latest ATI drivers.

NCLI
December 12th, 2011, 03:54 PM
Any news on this setup?

puller
December 12th, 2011, 10:08 PM
Any news on this setup?

ATI proprietary drivers are still not working properly for many users, however they are putting some efforts in trying to support the switchable graphics for Linux.

Personally, I am still using vgaswitcheroo to keep the ATI card switched off and still I've never had the need to have a more powerful GPU than the Intel.