PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Office 2010 and Visual Studio

a.3adil
May 7th, 2011, 04:11 PM
Hey All,

I recently installed Ubuntu 11.04 and i'm loving it. The only thing thats holding me back from a complete migration to it is that I don't know if i can or how to install Office 2010 and Visual Studio 2010. I'm all for open source and LibreOffice is great but I'm used to Office 2010 and i find it has a lot more features. Its the same story with Visual Studio 2010. I'd really appreciate it if someone can help me out. Thanks all in advance.

I hate the whole Virtual Box and then installing Windows, and basically that whole scenario. So if that can be skipped it would be amazing. Thanks again

Wim Sturkenboom
May 7th, 2011, 05:09 PM
Check out crossover office for your office requirement.

I can advise on Visual Studio.

rx007
May 7th, 2011, 05:37 PM
There's already a live version of office that works very well with firefox in ubuntu.
I can't say for visual studio, but if you develop .net, you might want to try mono. :)

a.3adil
May 7th, 2011, 07:29 PM
@wim...I checked out Crossover for Office and its good, but its also a temporary solution unless i buy it. I hate to be choosy, but i was lookin for a more permanent solution

@rx007...I've already tried the online Office...but it does not have all the features that I need. As for Mono...I looked into it and from what I have read I dont think it supports C#, which is essentially what i need Visual Studio 2010 for.

Thanks both of you though for the time

Wim Sturkenboom
May 7th, 2011, 07:41 PM
mono is C#

But it's my understanding that there are 'things' that are not supported in mono; I unfortunately can not tell you exactly what so you need to do some research.

If you want to develop Windows applications, I think it's better to stick to the MS platform.

a.3adil
May 7th, 2011, 07:51 PM
@ Wim...clearly I haven't been reading very thoroughly :P Im gna need an ambulance to pull my foot out of my mouth. Anyway, I'll look into mono and start using it, and see how far i can go. I still need a solution for Office :(

Durden
May 7th, 2011, 09:47 PM
MonoDevelop is the mono equiv to VisualStudio. Your mileage may vary.