PDA

View Full Version : Installing WINE without an Internet Connection

ParanoidStudent
March 1st, 2005, 07:12 AM
http://winehq.org/site/download-deb

I'm dual-booting Windows XP & Ubuntu, but my wireless card only works with Windows. The card is a Linksys 2.4 GHz Wireless - G PCI Adapter 802.11g; Model Number WMP54G. They have said this, and I quote:

Dear Valued Linksys Customer,

Thank you for contacting Linksys Customer Support.

Unfortunately, the drivers of the wireless adapter are only compatible with Windows-based operating systems. There are no drivers currently that will work with Linux.

If you have further questions, please contact us at (800) 326-711. Please use this phone number given as reference for future support calls.

-

I apologize for the delay. Right now, there are no other workarounds for this concern because these Linksys devices are really designed for Windows-based operating systems.

-

[What about using WINE [htt ://www.winehq.org/] to install them? Would that do anything or would that just sink me even further?]

The software I believe is still a beta version and not yet recommended to be loaded; even the website states so. Anyway, Linksys will still not advice you loading that specific software even if it is already officially released. Like what I said, those devices are designed for Windows-based systems. I hope this helps.

-

Despite their warnings, I want to install WINE. Except for one problem...Wine is only available for Ubuntu via automatic update. >_> Which I obviously can't do.

Does anyone else use this card model with Ubuntu and can they be of service? Or better yet, could someone e-mail me a copy of the software? My email address is mkrenzer@t6b.com

Thanks.

poofyhairguy
March 4th, 2005, 09:45 PM
http://winehq.org/site/download-deb

I'm dual-booting Windows XP & Ubuntu, but my wireless card only works with Windows. The card is a Linksys 2.4 GHz Wireless - G PCI Adapter 802.11g; Model Number WMP54G. They have said this, and I quote:

Thank you for contacting Linksys Customer Support.

Unfortunately, the drivers of the wireless adapter are only compatible with Windows-based operating systems. There are no drivers currently that will work with Linux.

If you have further questions, please contact us at (800) 326-711. Please use this phone number given as reference for future support calls.

-

I apologize for the delay. Right now, there are no other workarounds for this concern because these Linksys devices are really designed for Windows-based operating systems.

-

[What about using WINE [htt ://www.winehq.org/] to install them? Would that do anything or would that just sink me even further?]

The software I believe is still a beta version and not yet recommended to be loaded; even the website states so. Anyway, Linksys will still not advice you loading that specific software even if it is already officially released. Like what I said, those devices are designed for Windows-based systems. I hope this helps.

-

Despite their warnings, I want to install WINE. Except for one problem...Wine is only available for Ubuntu via automatic update. >_> Which I obviously can't do.

Does anyone else use this card model with Ubuntu and can they be of service? Or better yet, could someone e-mail me a copy of the software? My email address is mkrenzer@t6b.com

Thanks.

You don't want wine. You want NDISWrapper. It allows you to use Windows drivers for wireless cards in Linux.

Search the forums for advice of how to use it. My own advice- just buy a new card that is compatible. But I always take the path of least resistence.