PDA

View Full Version : How do I get certified?

rabbitdaone
May 7th, 2011, 04:32 AM
First off thanks for reading this post, much appreciated.

Secondly I'm Jamaican. I am interested in getting Java certifications and certain CIW certifications.

I see I can go through Prometric to get vouchers etc, but where do I get training?

Im not asking for places in Jamaica (though that would be nice if you knew of any), rather ways to get it done online.

If you have done online programming courses, please post your experience here.

All replies are appreciated

StephenF
May 7th, 2011, 12:50 PM
If you want a career my belief is employers will be more impressed with the programming projects that you participate in (minimum two solo projects that you own, coded in a mix of C++, Java, and C#), and make mention of the projects you have contributed code to.

Software industry certificates tend to be chased after by those who see the salaries awarded to programmers and perceive the lack of one piece of paper as the only barrier to a high paying career. Employers know better than to hire these kind of people (from bitter experience) and will throw such applications straight in the bin. It's a triumph of marketing on the part of the major software vendors who make tons of money selling certificates.

For those who do not have much industry experience I advise taking a help-desk job at a software company (this means any company that employs a decent number of programmers). There is little competition for these jobs and from there take advantage of internal job opportunities as they arise.

Your local business culture may vary.

r-senior
May 7th, 2011, 01:10 PM
Software industry certificates tend to be chased after by those who see the salaries awarded to programmers and perceive the lack of one piece of paper as the only barrier to a high paying career. Employers know better than to hire these kind of people ...
+1

I've worked with people in the past who had Java programmer certifications who didn't really have a clue what they were doing when it came to writing code in a team environment. Practical experience is worth much more to an employer and interviews usually focus heavily on it.

I think having a portfolio of things you have written and can demonstrate in action, or showing a worthwhile contribution to an open-source project team is time better spent than doing certifications.

Ferrat
May 7th, 2011, 01:19 PM
Certifications for programming is as stated above probably not the way to go, while other certifications are useful, like certs for server admins, network techs etc but if you want a software development career actually taking a high level (University or such) course in any language and backing that up with some samples seem to be the least difficult path. Also it helps to have contacts which is probably easiest to get from physical studies with other people or helping out other peoples projects, second one however probably takes longer than the first.

Also, I for one don't know one programmer that actually works in the language he studied, this is also a reason certs are useless for programming, it's more interesting to know that you know the basics of programming methodology and are skilled enough to apply this knowledge to any programming language.
I actual have a friend working with Java and PHP, he is a Pyhton/C++ student, and his colleague is working with Pyhton and C++ and learnt using Java and PHP, now this might seem odd but it's just that they got hired as a need evolved and just happened to end up this way with their work assignments.

stealth.
May 7th, 2011, 01:29 PM
So will this (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DynamicDNS#Namecheap%20&%20Python) and this (https://github.com/cgroza/wx-Youtube) help me? Its not much though.

ravikanth.vva
May 7th, 2011, 02:17 PM
if want to get java certification....buy the "Kathy Sierra SCJP 6 for Java"...it helpd my friend who got the certificate(only the book and some forums for help...java ranch i think)

nnamdi
May 7th, 2011, 02:28 PM
truly and honestly speaking certifications are good but you need to be grounded and have experience in the game...good luck in your search...

rabbitdaone
May 7th, 2011, 06:11 PM
If you want a career my belief is employers will be more impressed with the programming projects that you participate in (minimum two solo projects that you own, coded in a mix of C++, Java, and C#), and make mention of the projects you have contributed code to.

Software industry certificates tend to be chased after by those who see the salaries awarded to programmers and perceive the lack of one piece of paper as the only barrier to a high paying career. Employers know better than to hire these kind of people (from bitter experience) and will throw such applications straight in the bin. It's a triumph of marketing on the part of the major software vendors who make tons of money selling certificates.

For those who do not have much industry experience I advise taking a help-desk job at a software company (this means any company that employs a decent number of programmers). There is little competition for these jobs and from there take advantage of internal job opportunities as they arise.

Your local business culture may vary.

@StephenF, thanks for the reply; much appreciated.

My reasons for getting the certification would be as proof of my knowledge in that programming area.

From my understanding, programming fundamentals will aid you in any language you choose to take. Arent programming fundamentals taught at the beginning of ANY language?(regardless if its a degree or certificate)

More importantly, how would you advise gaining experience in programming teamwork and etc.

rabbitdaone
May 7th, 2011, 06:13 PM
@nnamdi

Thanks for your reply, much appreciated.

How would you advise one to gain experience without having a job at an institution?

rabbitdaone
May 7th, 2011, 06:14 PM
if want to get java certification....buy the "Kathy Sierra SCJP 6 for Java"...it helpd my friend who got the certificate(only the book and some forums for help...java ranch i think)

@ravikanth.vva
Thanks for the reply.

I will take a look at that.

rabbitdaone
May 7th, 2011, 06:19 PM
I think having a portfolio of things you have written and can demonstrate in action, or showing a worthwhile contribution to an open-source project team is time better spent than doing certifications.

@r-senior

Thanks for the reply.

Can you advise ways one can build a suitable portfolio?

I am not as confident in my Java skills, though I am sure I have the capacity to learn.
Do you know of any projects that accept programmers of an intermediate level?
(which is another reason why I wish to take the certification path; to get training)

r-senior
May 7th, 2011, 06:31 PM
Can you advise ways one can build a suitable portfolio
Combine learning with creating an application. It doesn't have to be useful but that would be a bonus. It needs to be something that is small enough so that you can finish it but large enough so that you can learn about the language or technology and demonstrate your knowledge. Take your time and try and do it well.

For example, if you were wanting to write web applications with a database backend, you could create a simple message forum. You'd cover database design, database access, business logic, web interface, HTML/CSS, authentication, session management. All the things that a large corporate web application would do, but in a manageable project. Bonus points for creating documentation, using a version control system, using a build system, etc. Not things that your project needs, but essential learning.

rabbitdaone
May 7th, 2011, 06:37 PM
For example, if you were wanting to write web applications with a database backend, you could create a simple message forum. You'd cover database design, database access, business logic, web interface, HTML/CSS, authentication, session management. All the things that a large corporate web application would do, but in a manageable project. Bonus points for creating documentation, using a version control system, using a build system, etc. Not things that your project needs, but essential learning.

@r-senior

Thanks again for your reply, much appreciated.

Would you happen to know if anyone is interested in joining a project of that nature or interested in mentorship?
And would Java be applicable in such a scenario?

simeon87
May 7th, 2011, 06:41 PM
@r-senior

Thanks again for your reply, much appreciated.

Would you happen to know if anyone is interested in joining a project of that nature or interested in mentorship?
And would Java be applicable in such a scenario?

Are you looking for experience in working in a team? Employers also value personal projects that demonstrate that you have the ability to create something that works and finish a project. Many pet projects of programmers never reach the stage of something that can be released so working on a personal project can also be valuable, if you follow through.

rabbitdaone
May 7th, 2011, 06:46 PM
Are you looking for experience in working in a team? Employers also value personal projects that demonstrate that you have the ability to create something that works and finish a project.

@simeon87

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

Yes I am looking for experience with working in a team. Im looking for all forms of experience that will aid in me being seen as a reliable programmer/developer.

r-senior
May 7th, 2011, 06:54 PM
Java would certainly be applicable if that's what you want to learn. Beyond that there are many choices - Spring/Hibernate/JSF/Struts2, etc.

Working in a team would be beneficial, but so would creating your own project. I'm sure this forum would be a good, if occasionally contradictory, mentor. Perhaps there is someone else reading this forum who would like to learn the same things and participate in your project?

rabbitdaone
May 7th, 2011, 07:44 PM
@r-senior

Thanks again for your reply.

I will create another thread with such requests.

Mind me asking what languages you are adept in?

r-senior
May 7th, 2011, 08:28 PM
Mind me asking what languages you are adept in?
Java (and all the things that come with it for web applications like HTML/CSS/JSP, etc), Objective-C and C.