View Full Version : [ubuntu] can not connect wireless when using awesome window manager

May 4th, 2011, 06:41 PM
Hello, everyone. As I mentioned on the thread title, I can not connect wilreless under awesome window manager,it can scan wirless, but just can not connect it. I am using
sudo iwconfig wlan0 essid "...." key s:"***"
sudo iwconfig wlan0 essid "...." key s:**** (I try both, neither of it works)

and I do some search, and trying
sudo iwconfig eth1 essid "..." key s:*****
it is not working as well.

So, hoping you can give any solution. I am appreciating your helping.

But, interesting thing is, under gnome, it wireless is pretty good, I have no idea how it could be, but just works fine.

btw, under awesome, when I typing nm-tool, it always indicate that wlan0 is disconnect.

The Geeko
June 25th, 2011, 02:47 AM
I am having this exact same problem. I installed awesome, and wanted to work through some online tutorials... alas! I cannot connect to the network.

I'm new to linux... just installed Ubuntu 11.04 (using the windows installer) for testing...

I must say that I am in love with it... but don't care for the Unity interface... (especially don't like not being able to configure the left-dock bar, which from what I have read is NOT ever going to be a user-preference... sounds like somebody has been hanging around Bill Gates... LOL)

So, I have installed awesome window manager... but I'm stuck since my network at home is wi-fi (through my router)... and I have not figured out yet how to connect when under awesome.

Under Unity, there is no problem... since it detected the router and asked me (upon installation) for the password...

I can see that the ifconfig reports differently when under awesome than when under Unity... so I know that this is the issue...

Now, how to resolve it...

If anyone can help, I will appreciate it... otherwise, back to my searching... LOL

==== UPDATE ===================
OK. I resolved the issue by logging in under Unity... checking the configuration for internet... and clicking the option to "share" connection.