PDA

View Full Version : Classic on Oneiric Ocelot

bkerensa
May 4th, 2011, 01:10 AM
There has been talk that Ubuntu might move away from offering Classic sessions in Oneiric Ocelot and I would like to suggest keeping the classic feature because a lot of "old school" linux users are not to happy with unity and integrated menus.

Then again we prefer CLI over GUI everyday but minimalistic classic panels is what many enjoy and I think Ubuntu will keep a lot of people from enjoying newer progress if they force the integrated menus on people in future versions.

macroshaft
May 4th, 2011, 09:47 AM
There was a lot of talk of this in Natty at one point. Don't listen to talk too much. I'm sure the classic session will be with us for a while to come yet, at least until we all get over the culture shock!

beew
May 4th, 2011, 10:19 AM
There was a lot of talk of this in Natty at one point. Don't listen to talk too much. I'm sure the classic session will be with us for a while to come yet, at least until we all get over the culture shock!

It is not just talk, it is definitive. Mark Shuttleworth says so (I am sorry I don't have the link, but I am sure someone else would provide it)

The "Classic Desktop" will not be around for 11.10. It sits on Gnome 2 but 11.10 is going to ship with gnome 3 so it is not compatible. The shell has a fall back mode which is basically like the classic desktop (with no effect ) but apparently much less customizable.

P.S. I would like to see improvements in Unity (or Gnome Shell) rather than counting on the classic desktop, it will be dead soon.

macroshaft
May 4th, 2011, 11:13 AM
P.S. I would like to see improvements in Unity (or Gnome Shell) rather than counting on the classic desktop, it will be dead soon.

It all seems rather rushed, replacing the classic desktop before unity is finished is a mistake. You are right though, it's time to move on.

novatillasku
May 4th, 2011, 11:30 AM
It is not just talk, it is definitive. Mark Shuttleworth says so (I am sorry I don't have the link, but I am sure someone else would provide it)

The "Classic Desktop" will not be around for 11.10. It sits on Gnome 2 but 11.10 is going to ship with gnome 3 so it is not compatible. The shell has a fall back mode which is basically like the classic desktop (with no effect ) but apparently much less customizable.

Here's the bug where Mark says so https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/unity/+bug/739812/ at comment 5.

"We made very good progress on a11y in Natty, but will miss the goal of
perfect a11y. We'll nail it in Oneiric. That's OK, because we have the
Classic desktop fallback in Natty, but will not in Oneiric.

Mark"

"

NCLI
May 4th, 2011, 03:45 PM
There is a quite simple reason for why the old desktop cannot be included by default: There isn't room on the cd.

Currently, Unity is based on Gnome 2.32, so including the panels is no big deal. However, this means that Gnome Shell and Unity cannot be installed at the same time, since they rely on different versions of the same packages, and that Unity is using outdated, deprecated packages.

With the switch to Gnome 3.XX, installing Gnome Shell will be easy, but installing the old panels will probably break both Unity and Gnome Shell. Even if this could be resolved, it would take up absurd amounts of space on the cd.

Please understand that this is no conspiracy to force you away from the panels; they will still be in the repo.

Starks
May 4th, 2011, 09:15 PM
umm, did you guys forget that gnome-panel 3.0 is the fallback for gnome-shell?

imbjr
May 4th, 2011, 09:28 PM
It all seems rather rushed, replacing the classic desktop before unity is finished is a mistake. You are right though, it's time to move on.

Is it time to move on? For me, the classic Gnome desktop worked and worked well. I have no compelling reason to change and at the moment I have usability issues with the Global Menu when attempting to use two non-maximised windows side-by-side.

I have no problem with differing user interfaces; I use Windows at work, Linux at home and Android when mobile. Unity, for me, is not giving me anything above what I originally had with classic Gnome and at the moment it feels very much less.

Hopefully, this will change and Unity will develop into a mature interface that can satisfy both mouse-orientated users and keyboard-orientated users. For now, I'm sticking with something that works for me.

Merk42
May 4th, 2011, 09:39 PM
Oh another thread of "let's insist Canonical keep the panels when they're not the ones discontinuing them"

umm, did you guys forget that gnome-panel 3.0 is the fallback for gnome-shell?Are there any images of what this looks like? I've heard it's not quite the same as the 2.X panels

cariboo907
May 4th, 2011, 09:52 PM
I won't use gnome-shell until they include a global menu :). Here's a link to the gnome-panels maintainer's blog. it explains about gnom-panel in Gnome 3:

http://www.vuntz.net/journal/post/2011/04/13/gnome-panel-is-dead%2C-long-live-gnome-panel!

bkerensa
May 4th, 2011, 11:14 PM
I won't use gnome-shell until they include a global menu :). Here's a link to the gnome-panels maintainer's blog. it explains about gnom-panel in Gnome 3:

http://www.vuntz.net/journal/post/2011/04/13/gnome-panel-is-dead,-long-live-gnome-panel!

Gnome 3 Panels looks nice enough.

seeker5528
May 5th, 2011, 12:37 AM
People that just want gnome-panel and don't care about extra applets, probably won't have any complaints.

People that currently complain about Unity not having X applet or Y applet, probably won't like it.

Whether indicator applets get updated for gnome-panel 3.x.x remains to be seen. I'm not holding my breath.

Later, Seeker

Johnsie
May 5th, 2011, 01:01 AM
I think Mark's going to have to eat his words on this occasion, if not then he's being foolishly stubborn. Unless we can radically improve Unity classic is a necessary option. I'm hoping that we can improve it enough over 6 months but it will take alot of work (and listening to the users). Let's see where we are in 3 months.

CreativeReach
May 5th, 2011, 05:13 AM
The Gnome3 panels will be more than functional for the users that still have old hardware. You will probably still be able to install Docky and stuff to customize.

But I really don't no why anybody wouldn't like Unity after its been given a make over in 11.10.

NCLI
May 5th, 2011, 07:47 AM
The Gnome3 panels will be more than functional for the users that still have old hardware. You will probably still be able to install Docky and stuff to customize.

But I really don't no why anybody wouldn't like Unity after its been given a maker over in 11.10.
Since we don't yet know what this make-over entails, I'd say your statement is made immaturely ;)

Elfy
May 5th, 2011, 07:53 AM

http://www.vuntz.net/journal/post/2011/04/13/gnome-panel-is-dead%2C-long-live-gnome-panel!#c5644

Link was bad - changed it for you :)

CreativeReach
May 5th, 2011, 08:02 AM
Since we don't yet know what this make-over entails, I'd say your statement is made immaturely ;)

Gnome said that previous applications would work with Gnome3.
So I'm assuming that in the basic desktop it will function properly.

Its also possible that in 11.10 that instead of basic gnome it will be a 2d version of Unity.

NCLI
May 5th, 2011, 08:11 AM
Gnome said that previous applications would work with Gnome3.
So I'm assuming that in the basic desktop it will function properly.

Its also possible that in 11.10 that instead of basic gnome it will be a 2d version of Unity.

I was only talking about the last part of your post, maybe I should have made that more clear.

jbicha
May 5th, 2011, 09:58 AM
Gnome Panel 3 (which I'll call Gnome Fallback) is just as customisable as Gnome Panel 2 was. In fact, Gnome Fallback adds the ability to have center-aligned panel applets which is a good feature missing from Gnome 2.

One problem is that in my testing, applets written for gtk+ 2 won't work until they are ported to gtk+ 3 so there will be a temporary loss of functionality until either Gnome Fallback adds gtk+2 applet support or applet authors update their applets.

I wish those of you who haven't tried these things out (whether by downloading Fedora or openSUSE or playing on a separate, non-essential Ubuntu installation with the Gnome 3 PPA) wouldn't post your worrying concerns because spreading misinformation doesn't help.

And once again, do not install the Gnome 3 PPA unless you really know what you're doing and can fix any problems that will arise.

jtfolden
May 5th, 2011, 11:18 AM
But I really don't no why anybody wouldn't like Unity after its been given a maker over in 11.10.

Umm, can we see this make over now? :P

CreativeReach
May 6th, 2011, 04:06 AM
Umm, can we see this make over now? :P
Ok maybe I spoke to soon, but i love unity already!
And as I see it It just needs a little more work to make it perfect.

jtfolden
May 6th, 2011, 07:01 AM
I was hoping to feel the same way but Unity just doesn't impress me and the annoying usability flaws drove me away. Hopefully, they'll have a good rethink on several of these 'features' for the next release. :)

kansasnoob
May 6th, 2011, 08:15 AM
Gnome Panel 3 (which I'll call Gnome Fallback) is just as customisable as Gnome Panel 2 was. In fact, Gnome Fallback adds the ability to have center-aligned panel applets which is a good feature missing from Gnome 2.

One problem is that in my testing, applets written for gtk+ 2 won't work until they are ported to gtk+ 3 so there will be a temporary loss of functionality until either Gnome Fallback adds gtk+2 applet support or applet authors update their applets.

I wish those of you who haven't tried these things out (whether by downloading Fedora or openSUSE or playing on a separate, non-essential Ubuntu installation with the Gnome 3 PPA) wouldn't post your worrying concerns because spreading misinformation doesn't help.

And once again, do not install the Gnome 3 PPA unless you really know what you're doing and can fix any problems that will arise.

+1!

Aside from theming issues that are being worked on right now I can make gnome3 look identical to gnome2.

Regarding applets it is indeed just a waiting game :D

The sky is not falling :lolflag:

alaukikyo
May 6th, 2011, 09:44 AM
Oh another thread of "let's insist Canonical keep the panels when they're not the ones discontinuing them"

Are there any images of what this looks like? I've heard it's not quite the same as the 2.X panels

http://www.webupd8.org/2011/03/classic-gnome-3-beta-2-video-no-shell.html

Irihapeti
May 7th, 2011, 02:03 AM
I'd like to know what's going to happen to those of us who can't run 3D effects.

Will there still be an option for us?

jtfolden
May 7th, 2011, 02:14 AM
I'd like to know what's going to happen to those of us who can't run 3D effects.

Will there still be an option for us?

Yes, Unity 2D which is available now.

beew
May 7th, 2011, 02:32 AM
Gnome Panel 3 (which I'll call Gnome Fallback) is just as customisable as Gnome Panel 2 was.

Really? can you run Compiz on it?

CreativeReach
May 7th, 2011, 03:32 AM

I doubt that.

Harry33
May 7th, 2011, 06:50 AM

Compiz as it stands now, is a GTK+2 application.
Gnome3 is GTK+3 desktop.

Compiz may get ported to GTK+3, which is the case, if Unity will be a GTK+3 shell. Then Compiz can also be modified to work with Gnome3 fallback (lets call it Gnome3-panel). Still, Compiz will never work with Gnome-shell: there we have Mutter.

The question is who would modify Compiz to work with Gnome3-panel.
Canonical will work on Unity3D and Unity2D.

jbicha
May 7th, 2011, 10:32 PM
I think people have been asking for something like this (https://launchpad.net/%7Ejbicha/+archive/ppa), but please don't use it unless you are ok if your computer doesn't work and you have to reinstall.

Please don't expect me to be able to fix problems you may have with this as I warned you not to do it.

ranch hand
May 8th, 2011, 11:12 PM
I think people have been asking for something like this (https://launchpad.net/%7Ejbicha/+archive/ppa), but please don't use it unless you are ok if your computer doesn't work and you have to reinstall.

Please don't expect me to be able to fix problems you may have with this as I warned you not to do it.
I liked what you had to say on the ppa page so much it tempted me to have another install of Ubuntu. Any one reading that and not expecting breakage is a fool that has been warned.

Breakage can be FUN if you are not silly enough to install it on a production box.

I just do not have the time to play with Ubuntu anymore than the one install I have (broken currently).

Good luck with your work there. Sounds like you are having FUN. This is a great thing.

jbicha
May 9th, 2011, 01:32 PM
Yeah, I like a little bit of breakage is fun especially if I can figure out how to make it not break as badly. And it's rewarding to be able to fix things that benefit a lot of people.

I just think a high amount of people are using PPAs, especially like the Gnome 3 PPA, without realizing that things are broken with it and unable to figure out how to get their computer functional again, so I'm trying to warn those users against installing this stuff. :)

Irihapeti
May 9th, 2011, 09:46 PM
Yeah, I like a little bit of breakage is fun especially if I can figure out how to make it not break as badly. And it's rewarding to be able to fix things that benefit a lot of people.

I just think a high amount of people are using PPAs, especially like the Gnome 3 PPA, without realizing that things are broken with it and unable to figure out how to get their computer functional again, so I'm trying to warn those users against installing this stuff. :)

If they did a backup of their system beforehand (TAR is your friend), it would save a lot of grief.

For some reason, though, backing up seems to be ranked only marginally less avoidance-worthy than taking out the garbage/rubbish. :)

ranch hand
May 9th, 2011, 10:46 PM
I don't really see any sense in backing up a very pre-release OS. Wait a few days and keep update/upgrading and it will eventually, straighten out.

Right now I could probably remove cups and have it run.

This is testing, not testing what worked last week.

Irihapeti
May 9th, 2011, 11:01 PM
I see your point, ranch hand.

I was thinking more of someone going in a different direction by installing a PPA. It might be useful in that case to be able to return to the mainstream easily.

But then, with the pace of change in a development release, it might be quicker just to reinstall from the latest daily iso.

seeker5528
May 10th, 2011, 12:57 AM

You can use Compiz just as you would other window managers. There just isn't a session option provided for it.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CompizStandalone

Later, Seeker

ranch hand
May 10th, 2011, 06:20 AM
I see your point, ranch hand.

I was thinking more of someone going in a different direction by installing a PPA. It might be useful in that case to be able to return to the mainstream easily.

But then, with the pace of change in a development release, it might be quicker just to reinstall from the latest daily iso.
There is ppa-purge for that very reason. Great app. Takes you right back to the condition you had before the ppa.

Really kind of neat.

EDIT
I have plenty of room so I used have several installs of Ubuntu testing. Just test one change per OS so you KNOW what caused the problem.

Flash858
June 10th, 2011, 05:00 AM
I was one of the people screaming from the rafters when Unity was introduced. However the end result was that Unity and Gnome 3 pushed me to Xubuntu and XFCE, which I am finding I am perfectly happy with.

I still consider both Unity and Gnome 3 entirely unusable, but thankfully I still have the option of XFCE or LXDE or some other conventional desktop.

Both of these projects (Gnome and Unity) are burying their heads in the sand IMHO, ignoring the needs and desires of the user. Both are solutions to non-existent problems, and they are forcing change for the sake of change.

There are ZERO benefits to either environment, and I have honestly tried to like and use both for over a month on actual hard drive installs (Natty and the SUSE Gnome 3 that was released a bit early) . Both are simply exercises in frustration for me, not because I do not understand them, nor neglect to avail myself of the shortcuts and tricks, etc., but because they are both just horrid designs. Perhaps someone gets paid for every unnecessary mouse click in the world...

Unity including the "global menu" is proof that Canonical has gone barking mad, as it is arguably the second worst idea in the history of mankind, coming in just behind the designated hitter...

Hopefully, they will not figure out a way to screw up Xubuntu upstream, but if they do, there is a distro called Liquid Lemur that I have been keeping my eye on, and when it is out of beta it will be phenomenal. If that project does not find its legs, there is always Debian...

jtfolden
June 10th, 2011, 05:51 AM
I happen to think Unity is an inconsistent mess but that Gnome 3 shows promise of being the best DE available for Linux. I can't imagine running a Linux distro using something else at this point (nor would I).

kvv_1986
June 10th, 2011, 06:07 AM
there is a distro called Liquid Lemur that I have been keeping my eye on, and when it is out of beta it will be phenomenal. If that project does not find its legs, there is always Debian...

I just went through the website, and it seems to be pretty interesting. From what I understood, the distro maintainer wants to provide a usable version of Debian Stable. If this is so, and the distro keeps improving, I will probably shift my work desktop from Ubuntu LTS in a year.

Flash858
June 10th, 2011, 11:29 PM
Yes, the developer of Lemur seems to be a scripting genius. I am hoping he moves to 4.8 for the release version.

And I am sorry, I just find Gnome 3 to be just as unusable as Unity. WAY too many clicks to get where I am going. It is entirely too slow, and not at all intuitive.

There is logic, and there is counter-logic. Both Unity and Gnome 3 are ENTIRELY illogical. They both embrace the same exact mindset as my ex-wife when she loaded the dishwasher - just so completely wrong that I do not know where to even BEGIN to tell you what IS wrong. It is just easier to completely unload it, and start over...

23dornot23d
June 10th, 2011, 11:43 PM
I do like things one key click away ......

What I found ....... was if I add .....
Cairo-Dock to the Desktop to autostart - then in either of these - UNITY or Gnome Shell

You are one click away from your favorite applications ......
(as they are just a drag and drop away from going into the dock - from that point it is excellent ....... as then its one click afterwards ...... and its standard in each desktop)

and if you set your computer up like mine - you can swap quite happily between the two
(GnomeShell / UNITY)

If we ignore any other docks or addons -
then each one UNITY or GNOME SHELL will create more key presses or key clicks to get the same result.

Temüjin
June 12th, 2011, 03:05 PM
I think most people who like the interface of gnome 2.x will be satisfied with xfce/xubuntu.

kansasnoob
June 12th, 2011, 03:33 PM
I think most people who like the interface of gnome 2.x will be satisfied with xfce/xubuntu.

I opted for Lubuntu, but Xubuntu is also a very good choice.

The new gnome-panel was the last straw for me. I can use Unity, albeit clumsily, so I'll still do some testing with Ubuntu but I'll be shifting the majority of my focus onto LXDE.

Hairy_Palms
June 13th, 2011, 12:27 AM
gnome 3 panel looks promising imo ive been using them for a week or so by hand installing the oneiric packages to my natty (with gnome 3 ppa) and it works fine, no appindicators, buti dont like appindicators anyway, and programs with a proper tray icon work fine still, empathy/banshee/transmission etc

it definitely beats unity and gnome shell thats for sure

Flash858
June 13th, 2011, 01:05 AM
I get the workarounds, I do. Use a dock or screenlets, or whatever. But that just means you are essentially AVOIDING the shell altogether, thus defeating the purpose entirely.

You might as well use Openbox or Ice WM if you are going to work that way... (where is that Arch disc I had...?)

The developers just did not think this through, and no argument nor workaround can change the fact that Unity/G3 are just inferior IDEAS.

PERIOD.

You cannot make Coquilles Ste Jacques out of whale poop (and my sincerest apologies to Whale Poop for comparing it to Unity).

cariboo907
June 13th, 2011, 01:15 AM
This is the Oneric (Ubuntu+1) testing and discussion forum, we're here to discuss problems with the current development version, not whether we like Unity or not. There are enough threads in the Cafe where you can post your feelings about Unity, please don't post them here.

kansasnoob
June 13th, 2011, 03:56 AM
This is the Oneric (Ubuntu+1) testing and discussion forum, we're here to discuss problems with the current development version, not whether we like Unity or not. There are enough threads in the Cafe where you can post your feelings about Unity, please don't post them here.

I think these conflicts are going to be inevitable now. The new gnome-panel really hosed "classic" and, after reading the dev notes, that's largely intended :(

I only found Gnome and Ubuntu in about February 2008, when Gutsy was the new kid on the block, and I fell in love. But I see now that gnome2 began in 2002.

I wonder how long it took for it to evolve to the point of being easy to customize :confused:

I think the biggest problem with Unity, gnome3, and gnome-shell is the increased difficulty with customization :D

No two people work exactly the same.

cariboo907
June 13th, 2011, 04:21 AM
I think these conflicts are going to be inevitable now. The new gnome-panel really hosed "classic" and, after reading the dev notes, that's largely intended :(

I only found Gnome and Ubuntu in about February 2008, when Gutsy was the new kid on the block, and I fell in love. But I see now that gnome2 began in 2002.

I wonder how long it took for it to evolve to the point of being easy to customize :confused:

I think the biggest problem with Unity, gnome3, and gnome-shell is the increased difficulty with customization :D

No two people work exactly the same.

I didn't like the change from Gnome 1 to 2, to the point where I stopped using it and started using KDE. I started using Ubuntu in 2006, and wasn't sure if I really liked it, keepeing PCLinuxOS as a backup just in case. After about 6 months I finally got rid of PCLOS completely, and have been happily using Gnome/Ubuntu ever since.

As you say, no two people use their system the same way.

lucazade
June 13th, 2011, 05:14 AM
I think these conflicts are going to be inevitable now.

Unfortunately, it seems to be inevitable because people what to make fuss about it (also in the wrong places) instead of using what they like for real.
This is really a bad trend.

About lack of customization of gnome-panel v3 is not correct. Atm there are no great differences..

this is gnomepanel2 in natty:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1338581/varie/Schermata-1s.png (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1338581/varie/Schermata-1.png)

and gnomepanel3 in oneiric:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1338581/varie/Schermata-2s.png (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1338581/varie/Schermata-2.png)

ronacc
June 13th, 2011, 05:25 AM
When we see something we like and have become used to being taken away from us we darn sure make a fuss .

lucazade
June 13th, 2011, 05:31 AM
When we see something we like and have become used to being taken away from us we darn sure make a fuss .

making fuss doesn't help and doesn't produce code, so it doesn't help anyone to get better things.

ronacc
June 13th, 2011, 05:37 AM
Our hope is that it might inspire those who are "producing code" to think a little more deeply about what they are producing .

cariboo907
June 13th, 2011, 05:43 AM
The man that makes the decision about the interface is the same one that pays the bills, if you want change, you'll have to get him to listen to you. How often have you seem him posting here?

lucazade
June 13th, 2011, 05:44 AM
Our hope is that it might inspire those who are "producing code" to think a little more deeply about what they are producing .

I know this is your (and the other's) hope.. unfortunately this doesn't inspire coders but creates only a bad atmosphere.
This also doesn't help to convince people to use something else or to judge things in the way you like or dislike..

The only way to protest is to code or to not use these things..

kansasnoob
June 13th, 2011, 12:10 PM
Unfortunately, it seems to be inevitable because people what to make fuss about it (also in the wrong places) instead of using what they like for real.
This is really a bad trend.

About lack of customization of gnome-panel v3 is not correct. Atm there are no great differences..

this is gnomepanel2 in natty:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1338581/varie/Schermata-1s.png (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1338581/varie/Schermata-1.png)

and gnomepanel3 in oneiric:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1338581/varie/Schermata-2s.png (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1338581/varie/Schermata-2.png)

I can't even get the old "System" menu back in gnome-panel3. And no apps show up under the menu.

Shortly after gnome-panel3 was released I tried downgrading to gnome-panel2 and the menu items did work on it, but that seems rather pointless. (Besides, the dependency issues will only continue to get harder to meet).

Reading the following blog post about gnome-panel3 convinced me to focus on a different DE:

http://www.vuntz.net/journal/post/2011/04/13/gnome-panel-is-dead%2C-long-live-gnome-panel!

If I knew how to code I probably would try to "fix" the forced fallback in gnome3 to my liking but, since I don't know how to code, I just shifted most of my focus to Lubuntu.

I can use Unity well enough to perform iso-testing comparisons between Ubuntu and Lubuntu if needed, and I'll keep an eye on what happens with gnome in the future.

I'd almost bet that within 2 years there will be a version of gnome3 (tweaked by someone that does write code) that will be almost indistinguishable from gnome2 :D

But if all else fails, I can always fall back to Lucid at any point during the next 22 months. Having started with Gutsy there have been two point releases I skipped over due to fiddly issues that I just didn't want to bother with (Intrepid and Karmic).

And I'm still dieing of curiosity to see the new "low fat" Kubuntu. I think the next two years should prove to be very interesting.

sgage
June 14th, 2011, 05:46 PM
The only way to protest is to code or to not use these things..

This attitude is why Maverick is going to be my last Ubuntu. It became quite evident in the Natty development cycle, to the point of being insulting.

I don't code, and since therefore I'm not allowed to voice my opinion about what seem to me to be very wrong-headed decisions, I will "not use these things" any more.

It was really nice while it lasted, but all things come to an end, including the Ubuntu "Community", which I am beginning to suspect never really even existed.

lucazade
June 14th, 2011, 06:10 PM
This attitude is why Maverick is going to be my last Ubuntu. It became quite evident in the Natty development cycle, to the point of being insulting.

I don't code, and since therefore I'm not allowed to voice my opinion about what seem to me to be very wrong-headed decisions, I will "not use these things" any more.

It was really nice while it lasted, but all things come to an end, including the Ubuntu "Community", which I am beginning to suspect never really even existed.

There were some decisions I didn't like as well in the previous releases, or better that didn't fit my needs.
This anyway didn't stop me from continue to use ubuntu, also because I use the mini iso and I can build the distro the way I like it more taking gain from all Ubuntu great facilities.
We can't pretend everything is the way we prefer, some decisions are made mainly for new adopters and not for passionate people.
Opinions are legit but this is a support forum so are likely OT here.

23dornot23d
June 14th, 2011, 06:18 PM
On the Classic Version - is panel resize no longer possible or will this come later ?

As mine is off the screen ..... ( stupid TV I have it chops a border off of 1/2 inch all the way around .... I do know its not something the developers would take into account - but the problem could easily be rectified before - by resizing the panels (its not possible to alter the TV in any way) ... just in case anybody thinks its a simple solution on the TV ) .....

So if the panel resizes like it used to - I can get to see it again and also use classic on it.

sgage
June 14th, 2011, 06:20 PM
The man that makes the decision about the interface is the same one that pays the bills, if you want change, you'll have to get him to listen to you. How often have you seem him posting here?

It's called "feedback". If "the man who pays the bills" isn't open to any feedback from the regular folks who are taking the time to exercise and test and offer critique during the development cycle (you know, the target audience?), he's not as smart as I used to think he was. He is going to be more and more out of touch with what people actually want and use. You can already feel Ubuntu slipping into irrelevance.

When people volunteer their time and good faith and experience (30 years in the computer biz in my case) in trying to help the project along with testing and feedback, it is customary to at least pretend to be grateful. You certainly don't want to insult them.

I felt this coming on in the Natty dev cycle - there was a lot of snark and dismissal of concerns - and it's gotten much worse, to the point that we're being told "if you don't code, and don't like it, shut up and don't use it".

I'm not going to waste another minute trying to contribute to this enterprise.

Good luck.

sgage
June 14th, 2011, 06:25 PM
Opinions are legit but this is a support forum so are likely OT here.

Not to worry, I'm gone.

ronacc
June 14th, 2011, 06:37 PM
there are a lot of familiar names around the forum that now show up rarely if at all , this is not a hopeful situation .

lucazade
June 14th, 2011, 06:40 PM
to the point that we're being told "if you don't code, and don't like it, shut up and don't use it".
Good luck.

no, no, no!
this is only your thought, nobody said to shut up.

If you can't code to make things the way you like, the only way to protest is to not use a product. If all the rest of ubuntu users will do the same you'll reach your purpose.

If I don't like the iPhone (just an example) I don't go to Apple forum (whenever exists) to say that product is trash.
I don't buy it. Apple won't see my money. This is my protest.

lucazade
June 14th, 2011, 06:46 PM
On the Classic Version - is panel resize no longer possible or will this come later ?

As mine is off the screen ..... ( stupid TV I have it chops a border off of 1/2 inch all the way around .... I do know its not something the developers would take into account - but the problem could easily be rectified before - by resizing the panels (its not possible to alter the TV in any way) ... just in case anybody thinks its a simple solution on the TV ) .....

So if the panel resizes like it used to - I can get to see it again and also use classic on it.

You can still resize panel in width and height. Also autohide function is working well.

sgage
June 14th, 2011, 06:47 PM
If I don't like the iPhone (just an example) I don't go to Apple forum (whenever exists) to say that product is trash.
I don't buy it. Apple won't see my money. This is my protest.

I sort of see your point, but 1) Ubuntu is free, can't vote with your money :-) and 2) I was hoping to be more of a participant and contributor in my own way, rather than just a "consumer".

Anyway, onward.

jtfolden
June 14th, 2011, 06:55 PM
I sort of see your point, but 1) Ubuntu is free, can't vote with your money :-) and 2) I was hoping to be more of a participant and contributor in my own way, rather than just a "consumer".

Anyway, onward.

...and in reality, as has been shown with Apple, there's a huge alternative for consumers: giving feedback. Apple has avenues for just such a thing and when there's enough of an outcry, things do get changed or changes get reverted. We see this during development releases all the time.

There really *should* be a more open option for providing feedback. This is especially true on a linux distro that tends to be running on the 'for the community, by the community' mantra. "Contributing" covers a lot more ground than just 'coding'.

The suggestion that people who don't like something can stop using it as a form of protest, to get something changed, seem to completely ignore the fact that those who abandon something don't tend to come back. This is especially true of new users, trying something out for the first time.

23dornot23d
June 14th, 2011, 07:01 PM
You can still resize panel in width and height. Also autohide function is working well.

I used to just right click on it to do this ..... !!! .....

What is the routine you use to do it ?

( we stick with things while they work ...... this is not working for me .... )

What do I need to update to get it working .... or install for that matter ..... ?

lucazade
June 14th, 2011, 07:07 PM
...and in reality, as has been shown with Apple, there's a huge alternative for consumers: giving feedback. Apple has avenues for just such a thing and when there's enough of an outcry, things do get changed or changes get reverted. We see this during development releases all the time.

There really *should* be a more open option for providing feedback. This is especially true on a linux distro that tends to be running on the 'for the community, by the community' mantra. "Contributing" covers a lot more ground than just 'coding'.

The suggestion that people who don't like something can stop using it as a form of protest, to get something changed, seem to completely ignore the fact that those who abandon something don't tend to come back. This is especially true of new users, trying something out for the first time.

Do you think that fill this forum of "I don't like it" or "Canonical doesn't hear from users" could really change something?
No I don't think. It only add useless post in a support forum.
There are other channels to suggest ideas, provide codes, give feedbacks.

lucazade
June 14th, 2011, 07:09 PM
I used to just right click on it to do this ..... !!! .....

What is the routine you use to do it ?

( we stick with things while they work ...... this is not working for me .... )

What do I need to update to get it working .... or install for that matter ..... ?

Alt+right click opens up the panel contextual menu.
(Here in a vbox I've also to use left click to open it up, don't ask me why :) )

philinux
June 14th, 2011, 07:17 PM
Which exact packages are needed to get the classic option at login?

Just in case I need it.

lucazade
June 14th, 2011, 07:27 PM
Which exact packages are needed to get the classic option at login?

Just in case I need it.

"gnome-session-fallback" package should be enough to add a new session in gdm and to install all panel related stuff.

23dornot23d
June 14th, 2011, 07:48 PM
"gnome-session-fallback" package should be enough to add a new session in gdm and to install all panel related stuff.

Well it seems that I have that installed ..... but the resize is not working .

Maybe I should report this as a BUG.

lucazade
June 14th, 2011, 07:59 PM
Well it seems that I have that installed ..... but the resize is not working .

Maybe I should report this as a BUG.

Strange..
yes, you could report as a bug upstream in gnome bugzilla, or maybe better to wait for a newer release of gnome panel.

Here resize works as expected
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1338581/varie/Schermata-3.png

castrojo
June 14th, 2011, 08:16 PM
I felt this coming on in the Natty dev cycle - there was a lot of snark and dismissal of concerns - and it's gotten much worse, to the point that we're being told "if you don't code, and don't like it, shut up and don't use it".

Do you have links to where Ubuntu developers have acted in this manner towards you?

23dornot23d
June 14th, 2011, 08:49 PM
or maybe better to wait for a newer release of gnome panel.

Here resize works as expected

Ok I will wait .... if its meant to work - then that is suffice for me .... will see if it gets better ..... on the next upgrade. ty

ronacc
June 14th, 2011, 08:55 PM
Do you have links to where Ubuntu developers have acted in this manner towards you?

it doesn't require a developer to hang out the opinions not welcome sign .

philinux
June 14th, 2011, 09:12 PM
Let's keep this on topic guys.

kansasnoob
June 17th, 2011, 09:28 PM

I've never had a dev hit me like that, and I doubt anyone else has either. I think most of those comments come from lucazade saying in post #52:

making fuss doesn't help and doesn't produce code, so it doesn't help anyone to get better things.

Now ............. DO NOT jump on lucazade's butt! We're going through two of the largest changes I've seen since I started with Ubuntu Gutsy.

If anything I think we've been too fast at closing threads and/or axing comments. I've been ill for a few days and during the same time I experienced a DSL outage but I'd typed this and I think it's still pertinent:

Something I seldom see mentioned of late is Ayatana:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Ayatana

While I've not contributed to the discussion of Unity at the list, I have read a lot of what others have been saying there. It's all quite interesting and sometimes very informative.

My biggest reason for not getting involved in the Unity discussion there is that I've been slow learning Unity -period-! It's been very difficult for me, no doubt partly due to visual limitations, but even beyond that - I just really dislike Unity.

To really try and go into depth about how to improve something I personally dislike seems rather pointless. During the change to grub2 I started a thread in Karmic dev; Boot-loaders are like underwear (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1271546)!

Most people missed my point (some thought it was downright rude) but, as a long time multi-booter, I'd already come to really like grub2, and I'd also figured out how to quite easily revert to legacy grub. My point was that it's pointless to argue whether briefs or boxers are better.

Opinions vary greatly and that's been glaringly obvious with the introduction of Unity, Gnome Shell, and particularly Gnome3 - the latter having the most impact on those of us who really love the classic Gnome DE ;)

But, back to Ayatana, I know that presenting a calm, reasonable argument concerning a specific design decision can effect outcomes. I've hardly kept a scorecard but two that come to mind are:

1) Hiding the boot parameter options on the Live CD. Of course I lost that one.

2) Restoring the ability to change "computer-name" during install. That one I actually scored a win on.

Those interested might want to review some of the list archives to get some idea of what works and what doesn't (above all be polite):

https://lists.launchpad.net/ayatana/threads.html

Regardless I'd been somewhat impressed with Lubuntu/LXDE for quite some time anyway so the most recent changes in Gnome were just the push I needed to make the jump :D

So many DE's, what'll it be today? Boxers or briefs :lolflag:

Regarding threads being shut down too soon look here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1763645

I really wanted to know, "What can you do with Unity or Gnome Shell that I can't do with Classic Gnome"? And it was posted at CC but it lasted less than a day :(

It's hardly an exaggeration to say that the Unity and/or gnome3 fan boys have drowned out those who do not like either. I'd go as far as to say many of the "fan boys" have become bullies.

One of the rudest comments I've encountered so far basically said, "if you can't use Unity then you've been doing things wrong all along". Isn't that like telling someone to just throw their puter out the window?

Maybe the forum mods need a "boiler plate" message that can be quickly pasted into any thread ad nauseam. I fear things are going to get worse before they get better.

lucazade
June 17th, 2011, 09:46 PM
@kansasnoob, Extrapolate a single sentence doesn't make sense, you know.. making fuss in a support forum doesn't help anybody and i'm sure you will agree with me.
now I leave you speaking about these "fanboys", they are all around youuuu! :D

ronacc
June 17th, 2011, 10:16 PM
now I leave you speaking about these "fanboys", they are all around youuuu! :D

perhaps because those dare to say the emperor has no clothes are being silenced one by one by the fan boys .

lucazade
June 17th, 2011, 11:06 PM
perhaps because those dare to say the emperor has no clothes are being silenced one by one by the fan boys .

emperor? fanboys?

I thought I have seen enough OT posts in this thread (like in other threads) but I was wrong there is always someone that will surprise me..
next one will talk about ufos.. -.-

recluce
June 17th, 2011, 11:35 PM
> Quote: Originally Posted by lucazade
> The only way to protest is to code or to not use these things..

+1 - at the rate things are going, I will move from Lucid to the next LTS of Mint. "Shut-up and get used to it" is the prevalent atmosphere here. Well, I will not. I will vote with my feet.

seeker5528
June 18th, 2011, 12:13 AM

Nobody really cares if the emperor has clothes or not.

It's all this bickering between the big enders and the little enders that's the issue when clearly the egg should be rolled to break the shell around the middle then peeled toward each end.

Later, Seeker

ronacc
June 18th, 2011, 12:16 AM
on the other hand theres 4 fingers and a thumb .

cariboo907
June 18th, 2011, 01:16 AM
This thread is getting a long ways off topic. I'd just like to say one thing.

We've always had disagreement in the testing forums, it's just that many of the members seem to be taking things personally. Emotions are getting high, but remember it's only software, and open software at that, you can do what you want with it, nobody is telling you what to do with it or how to use it.

Now can we please get back on topic.

kleeman
June 18th, 2011, 02:32 AM
Back on topic :D
I am a very long term Ubuntu user (since the first release way back in 2004) and am not very happy with unity.

I have heard that gnome-panel which will be the gnome fallback on Fedora and can be installed on Oneiric will not have the range of applets presently available on gnome 2. Reason being that they need porting to gtk3 from gtk2 and this seems doubtful given that the classic gnome is being clearly deprecated. Has anyone heard about this issue at all? If the applets are not available then the desktop will be definitely a regression in terms of usability imo.

MAFoElffen
June 18th, 2011, 03:17 AM
Although I agree with many of the points brought up in this thread... And the topic was "Classic in Oneiric Ocelot".

Rereading this thread again from post 1 through present. Yes Gnome 3 was an upstream change in the code base. I can see that the chages to that codebase give it the potential to grow, but it's still very early with all of that.

I'm going to miss Gnome 2 (but there's not really a choice to stay with it is there?)., Where do we go from here? If we're talking Gnome (3), then we're talking about replicating the functions that exitsted in the previous version right? = meaning not stepping backwards?

Explanation of "not stepping backwards": If not done "for" a release then then a normal user might just as well go really basic with xorg's xdm and create their own desktops, right? (That was roughly implied at one point). That really doesn't sound like a debian distro, but okay

Whatever the User Interface we are talking about or that Ubuntu ends up with, Ubuntu's Marketing promotes to the public that "Ubuntu" is user friendly, easy to work in and easy to learn..

Yes, we are not developer's. We are not members of the Ubuntu business staff nor any of it's decision tree. We are just volunteers testing development software. We get to see things before others. We get to break things and try to fix them. We point out things that don't work, maybe some things that could be used as workarounds... but to say we don't make any difference? If something doesn't make sense or really needs to be changed outside of a bug, (usability and functionality problems,) where do we submit that recommendation where it might be heard? (I already submit upstream bugs to GNU, Kernel.org and Xorg...)

Because eventually, as things are panning out, we are really referring to Gnome 3 and Gnome 3 classic (look-alike, without effects), right?

arpanaut
June 18th, 2011, 03:25 AM
@kleeman
You Sir, have hit the nail square on the head.
Hence all the whaling and gnashing of teeth in this thread.

Gnome and Ubuntu have chosen to move in a different direction, the "classic gnome desktop" aka gtk2 panel desktop DE is on life support. Maybe there will be those that will make the effort to perpetuate, maybe not. So, Yes, do expect " a regression in terms of usability" within that scheme of desktop, unless someone or group within the gtk3 community makes the effort to preserve the retro feel and look.

I personally don't expect that to happen within the mainstream gnome or ubuntu development at this time, their focus has moved elsewhere. For better or worse that is the way it is right now. Luckily an OS, a DE is not a marriage and we don't have to accept "for better or worse" we as individuals have choices what we install, what we use. Loyality to one thing or another only goes so far, when push comes to shove... we all have choices.

I happen to be lucky ATM and like the direction of things, in six months will I feel the same, who knows, but I still have Lucid, Maverick and Natty installed and working to satisfaction, so I have time to make my mind up about what direction I will go. I was looking for a new OS when I came across Ubuntu in '04, if I need be I can return to that modus operandi.
Not the end of the world. Just discomfort for things not being as one expects or wants.

ps love the quote in your sig!

Merk42
June 18th, 2011, 04:24 AM
@kleeman
You Sir, have hit the nail square on the head.
Hence all the whaling and gnashing of teeth in this thread.

Gnome and Ubuntu have chosen to move in a different direction, the "classic gnome desktop" aka gtk2 panel desktop DE is on life support. Maybe there will be those that will make the effort to perpetuate, maybe not. So, Yes, do expect " a regression in terms of usability" within that scheme of desktop, unless someone or group within the gtk3 community makes the effort to preserve the retro feel and look.!I just wish a lot of people would understand that Ubuntu/Unity isn't to 'blame' for the lack of GTK+2 Panels.
Even if they get all upset and move to another distro, guess what that distro will eventually use? Unless of course it's not GNOME distro, in which case, why move away from *ubuntu in the first place?

Yes there may be a time when there won't be the breadth of applets for GTK+3, that's the case with any advancement in technology.
When the latest generation of a Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft console first come out, they don't nearly have the number of titles the predecessor does, but in time they do.

lucazade
June 18th, 2011, 08:24 AM
This thread is getting a long ways off topic. I'd just like to say one thing.

We've always had disagreement in the testing forums, it's just that many of the members seem to be taking things personally. Emotions are getting high, but remember it's only software, and open software at that, you can do what you want with it, nobody is telling you what to do with it or how to use it.

I'm sorry to have contributed to this.. unfortunately people read only what they want and in the way they prefer.

I'm sorry as well for all Ubuntu haters, Unity haters, Gnome haters.. I really hope you will find your perfect environment one day, somewhere.

I'm sorry because I'm so happy to use Ubuntu, Unity and Gnome2/3and if I was not happy I would not been here wasting time.

Have a nice weekend

ronacc
June 18th, 2011, 10:08 AM
I can only speak for myself but any negative comments I have posted have not been motivated by hate . I am not so stupid as to have for 5+ years used Ubuntu as my main system . I instead am motivated by pain at seeing Ubuntu moving in a direction that I do not find pleasing .

jerrylamos
June 18th, 2011, 12:55 PM
It's all about choices.

I'm in this for testing so I try to find bugs with whatever Ubuntu management is pushing. Personally I'd rather run Unity 2D than Unity 3D but at the moment I've got that choice.

Now I also have partitions running with LucidLTS and Maverick if I want to do that. They're still available and supported.

I haven't a clue about Gnome 3 but it may have just shown up on an install last night.

The real test is what does well in the marketplace. Will the Unity series get more users or not? It looks a bit more like some of the other competitive offerings however I have no experience whatever with tablets or iphones so I don't have a clue.

This netbook cost $249 list, has a bigger screen than many tablets, 250 GB hard drive, 1G memory, multitasking, color obviously, runs Ubuntu, "Windoze" 7, ... battery life maybe 3 hours not a problem for me.

So right now I can run shaky Ocelot, Narwhal, Meerkat, and Windoze 7 (rarely!) on this netbook it's my choice. I don't get upset if developers try one thing or another. Look at how many distro's there are out there - if Ubuntu heads down a non-competitive alley there's going to be marketplace pressure to turn it around.

So I'm having fun and learning a lot about linux chasing crashes and bugs.

Jerry

seeker5528
June 18th, 2011, 09:53 PM
I have heard that gnome-panel which will be the gnome fallback on Fedora and can be installed on Oneiric will not have the range of applets presently available on gnome 2.

It vaguely seems like I remember something abut the panel applets being thinned a little for Gnome 3, but I don't know which applets those were, there still seems to be a big list and all the core applets (supplied in the gnome-panel-data package) I would normally use are still there.

Additional applets that were not part of the core set of applets will not be available unless people step up to port/maintain them.

The only non core applet I can think of off the top of my head that I sometimes used is the gnome-randr-applet, which still shows up as an available package, but is not installable.

Outside of the annoyance of having to hold down the 'Alt' key so you don't "accidentally" right click and choose an option on the resulting context menu to move/remove an applet, delete the panel, etc... I don't see why anybody that wants to stick with metacity and gnome-panel should have any big issue with it.

Later, Seeker

kansasnoob
June 19th, 2011, 03:01 PM
It vaguely seems like I remember something abut the panel applets being thinned a little for Gnome 3, but I don't know which applets those were, there still seems to be a big list and all the core applets (supplied in the gnome-panel-data package) I would normally use are still there.

Additional applets that were not part of the core set of applets will not be available unless people step up to port/maintain them.

The only non core applet I can think of off the top of my head that I sometimes used is the gnome-randr-applet, which still shows up as an available package, but is not installable.

Outside of the annoyance of having to hold down the 'Alt' key so you don't "accidentally" right click and choose an option on the resulting context menu to move/remove an applet, delete the panel, etc... I don't see why anybody that wants to stick with metacity and gnome-panel should have any big issue with it.

Later, Seeker

Most glaringly no "System" menu item (where you'd normally open "Preferences" or "Administration"), and clicking on "Applications" fails to display anything.

Two things I miss badly are the lack of a "sensors-applet" to monitor hardware temps and the lack of the "inhibit-applet" to be able to control the screensaver from the panel.

Regarding the latter gnome3 appears to have completely redone (or undone IMHO) the way in which the screensaver behaves and can be tweaked.

No doubt development is still in early stages, but I simply find far too many things in gnome3, regardless of UI used, badly lacking and/or borked.

For the moment most of my Oneiric testing will be done either with Unity-2D or Lubuntu, although I'll have to keep playing with the gnome-fallback from time to time just to see what happens ;)

recluce
June 20th, 2011, 04:23 AM
It's all about choices.

[...]

The real test is what does well in the marketplace. Will the Unity series get more users or not? It looks a bit more like some of the other competitive offerings however I have no experience whatever with tablets or iphones so I don't have a clue.

The marketplace for Linux distros is always hard to gauge, but let us look at the statistics of distrowatch.org

For the last 30 days, ranking & average hits per day:

1 Mint 2272
2 Fedora 2190
3 Ubuntu 1913

As compared to the last 6 months:

1 Ubuntu 2293
2 Mint 2177
3 Fedora 1562

So it seems that many users already have changed distros. It must have been a long time since Ubuntu only made the #3 spot - at this time, at least, the changes seem to do more harm than good to the userbase.

And yes, I know - this statistic, like any other comparison of OS market shares, is flawed. Anybody feel free to post something more reliable.

Merk42
June 20th, 2011, 04:56 AM
in b4 distrowatch is a terrible metric

cariboo907
June 20th, 2011, 04:56 AM
@recluse, you obviously didn't see the thread on the same subject in the Cafe, all those figures prove is that the number of people checking the details on Mint have risen a bit, and nothing more. They don't say whether people have actually installed Mint.

This thread is drifting off topic again, I've asked once, and I won't do it again. If you can't keep this thread on topic it will be closed.

jerrylamos
June 20th, 2011, 01:11 PM
This thread is drifting off topic again, I've asked once, and I won't do it again. If you can't keep this thread on topic it will be closed.

I'm somewhat interested in what it would take to have a classic like set of panels available so that should be on-topic for this or a similar thread.

I've picked up enough to do simple things with Unity. It can be a hunt to find what name to use for various system apps A simple alphabetic list is a lot easier to search than pages full of icons.

I do use utilities like gparted, and command line like chmod, cp, rm, zsync, aptitude, passwd, etc. when I get frustrated with "point and drag".

Jerry

philinux
June 20th, 2011, 01:42 PM

Ok so I installed that and it did indeed pull what looked like all the relevant packages. However when I boot up I can get the option gnome classic no effects to run. But.

Applications menu is empty and System is missing completely. Right click to add to panel doesn't work either. :(

lucazade
June 20th, 2011, 01:52 PM
Ok so I installed that and it did indeed pull what looked like all the relevant packages. However when I boot up I can get the option gnome classic no effects to run. But.

Applications menu is empty and System is missing completely. Right click to add to panel doesn't work either. :(

menu empty is a bug, temporary fix:
$ sudo ln -s /etc/xdg/menus/gnome-applications.menu /etc/xdg/menus/applications.menu

System menu is missing.. I bet it will come back (with previous command you will find system as a secondary menu of applications)

Right click is now Alt+right click to avoid easy removal of applets.

dino99
June 20th, 2011, 02:03 PM
and the default font "cantarell" is missing too into gnome3-team ppa, can get it with ubuntugnometeam/dev/ ppa

reported as bug #799154

philinux
June 20th, 2011, 04:30 PM
$ sudo ln -s /etc/xdg/menus/gnome-applications.menu /etc/xdg/menus/applications.menu

System menu is missing.. I bet it will come back (with previous command you will find system as a secondary menu of applications)

Thanks. Chrooted. Off for a reboot. :P

nVidia-current got uninstalled, for now, with the aptitude full-upgrade lol.

kansasnoob
June 20th, 2011, 05:10 PM

Good info, thanks :D

philinux
June 20th, 2011, 06:45 PM
Arrgh. This is getting fun.

Now got blank screen no login window.

Recovery mode and startx fail. Exiting reveals.
Failed to load module nvidia and same for nv.

Weird as nvidia-current and the 173 driver are not installed.

Nouveau is installed. Anybody got ideas to get this to boot.

sparker256
June 20th, 2011, 07:18 PM

If no one has any better ideas, starting at post #14 of this thread below is what I did to get things right. It involves reinstalling but I have Nvidia Current running again. I had my system quite messed up before I decided to reinstall so might not be the option for you.

Until we get a new version of Nvidia Current (275.09.07) the mesa packages version 7.10.3 is in conflict. I reverted back to mesa packages version 7.10.2 to get things working again.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1783213&page=2

Bill

lucazade
June 20th, 2011, 07:40 PM

weird.. at first I'd disable "vt.handoff=7" from grub at boot time.
This keeps the grub resolution up to plymouth and when a video driver doesn't work properly it leaves you with blank screen without switch back to virtual terminals.
at least to understand what's happening.

then paste /var/log/xorg.0.log because it is strange that system tries to load "nv" and "nvidia" if are not installed and fail to use nouveau.

seeker5528
June 20th, 2011, 08:34 PM
Most glaringly no "System" menu item (where you'd normally open "Preferences" or "Administration"), and clicking on "Applications" fails to display anything.

You have 'System Settings' on the user menu, gnome-control-center is pretty barren at the moment, since it only shows the core Gnome stuff. Since it has been re-designed to provide a more integrated feel, don't know how much non-Gnome stuff will make it back in.

Applications opens fine for me, but none of my installations are fresh installs.

Not having stuff that would have shown up on the System menu show up on the applications menu somewhere is a whole different thing, which should be considered a bug since the other menu went away. Don't know how much of that is a distribution thing and how much is a Gnome thing. I never understood the previous obsession with de-duplication of the menus, I personally think the stuff that showed in the system menu should have also showed up in the relevant expected places in the Applications menu.

There was talk that the menu package (that provides the debian menus) would go away at some point, but for the short term you can still 'apt-get menu' to install it, then run Alacarte and unhide 'Debian' on the Applications menu, which will give you a place where you should be able to find stuff while the other menu stuff is being sorted out.

Later, Seeker

philinux
June 21st, 2011, 11:23 AM
weird.. at first I'd disable "vt.handoff=7" from grub at boot time.
This keeps the grub resolution up to plymouth and when a video driver doesn't work properly it leaves you with blank screen without switch back to virtual terminals.
at least to understand what's happening.

then paste /var/log/xorg.0.log because it is strange that system tries to load "nv" and "nvidia" if are not installed and fail to use nouveau.

I treid the vt.handoff=7 removal at boot and same thing no login screen.

I'd only seen the system failing to load nvidia and nv when I tried startx from the shell.
Anyway here's the xorg.0.log. There is no nvidia package installed on the system now.

[ 8.348]
X.Org X Server 1.10.2
Release Date: 2011-05-28
[ 8.348] X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
[ 8.348] Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.24-28-server x86_64 Ubuntu
[ 8.348] Current Operating System: Linux philinux-oneiric 3.0-1-generic #2-Ubuntu SMP Wed Jun 15 20:28:47 UTC 2011 x86_64
[ 8.348] Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-3.0-1-generic root=UUID=bfd9a2e7-5c81-4ad6-a924-e1ff47c3638c ro
[ 8.348] Build Date: 16 June 2011 02:41:24AM
[ 8.348] xorg-server 2:1.10.2-1ubuntu1 (For technical support please see http://www.ubuntu.com/support)
[ 8.348] Current version of pixman: 0.21.8
[ 8.348] Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
to make sure that you have the latest version.
[ 8.348] Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
[ 8.348] (==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Tue Jun 21 10:40:02 2011
[ 8.367] (==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
[ 8.367] (==) No Layout section. Using the first Screen section.
[ 8.367] (==) No screen section available. Using defaults.
[ 8.367] (**) |-->Screen "Default Screen Section" (0)
[ 8.367] (**) | |-->Monitor "<default monitor>"
[ 8.367] (==) No monitor specified for screen "Default Screen Section".
Using a default monitor configuration.
[ 8.367] (==) Automatically adding devices
[ 8.367] (==) Automatically enabling devices
[ 8.367] (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic" does not exist.
[ 8.367] Entry deleted from font path.
[ 8.367] (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi/" does not exist.
[ 8.367] (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi/" does not exist.
[ 8.367] (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi" does not exist.
[ 8.367] (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi" does not exist.
[ 8.367] (==) FontPath set to:
/usr/share/fonts/X11/misc,
/usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1,
/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType,
built-ins
[ 8.367] (==) ModulePath set to "/usr/lib/xorg/extra-modules,/usr/lib/xorg/modules"
[ 8.367] (II) The server relies on udev to provide the list of input devices.
If no devices become available, reconfigure udev or disable AutoAddDevices.
[ 8.367] (II) Loader magic: 0x7df220
[ 8.367] (II) Module ABI versions:
[ 8.367] X.Org ANSI C Emulation: 0.4
[ 8.367] X.Org Video Driver: 10.0
[ 8.367] X.Org XInput driver : 12.3
[ 8.367] X.Org Server Extension : 5.0
[ 8.368] (--) PCI:*(0:1:0:0) 10de:0402:0000:0000 rev 161, Mem @ 0xfa000000/16777216, 0xd0000000/268435456, 0xf8000000/33554432, I/O @ 0x0000dc00/128, BIOS @ 0x????????/131072
[ 8.368] (WW) Open ACPI failed (/var/run/acpid.socket) (No such file or directory)
[ 8.368] (II) LoadModule: "extmod"
[ 8.368] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libextmod.so
[ 8.369] (II) Module extmod: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[ 8.369] compiled for 1.10.2, module version = 1.0.0
[ 8.369] Module class: X.Org Server Extension
[ 8.369] ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 5.0
[ 8.369] (II) Loading extension MIT-SCREEN-SAVER
[ 8.369] (II) Loading extension XFree86-VidModeExtension
[ 8.369] (II) Loading extension XFree86-DGA
[ 8.369] (II) Loading extension DPMS
[ 8.369] (II) Loading extension XVideo
[ 8.369] (II) Loading extension XVideo-MotionCompensation
[ 8.369] (II) Loading extension X-Resource
[ 8.369] (II) LoadModule: "dbe"
[ 8.369] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libdbe.so
[ 8.369] (II) Module dbe: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[ 8.369] (II) Loading extension DOUBLE-BUFFER
[ 8.369] (II) LoadModule: "glx"
[ 8.369] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so
[ 8.369] (II) Module glx: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[ 8.369] (==) AIGLX enabled
[ 8.369] (II) Loading extension GLX
[ 8.369] (II) LoadModule: "record"
[ 8.369] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/librecord.so
[ 8.369] (II) Module record: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[ 8.369] compiled for 1.10.2, module version = 1.13.0
[ 8.369] (II) Loading extension RECORD
[ 8.369] (II) LoadModule: "dri"
[ 8.369] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libdri.so
[ 8.370] (II) Module dri: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[ 8.370] compiled for 1.10.2, module version = 1.0.0
[ 8.370] ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 5.0
[ 8.370] (II) Loading extension XFree86-DRI
[ 8.370] (II) LoadModule: "dri2"
[ 8.370] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libdri2.so
[ 8.370] (II) Module dri2: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[ 8.370] compiled for 1.10.2, module version = 1.2.0
[ 8.370] ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 5.0
[ 8.370] (II) Loading extension DRI2
[ 8.370] (==) Matched nvidia as autoconfigured driver 0
[ 8.370] (==) Matched nouveau as autoconfigured driver 1
[ 8.370] (==) Matched nv as autoconfigured driver 2
[ 8.370] (==) Matched vesa as autoconfigured driver 3
[ 8.370] (==) Matched fbdev as autoconfigured driver 4
[ 8.370] (==) Assigned the driver to the xf86ConfigLayout
[ 8.370] (II) LoadModule: "nvidia"
[ 8.389] (WW) Warning, couldn't open module nvidia
[ 8.389] (II) UnloadModule: "nvidia"
[ 8.389] (II) Unloading nvidia
[ 8.389] (EE) Failed to load module "nvidia" (module does not exist, 0)
[ 8.389] (II) LoadModule: "nouveau"
[ 8.390] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/nouveau_drv.so
[ 8.390] (II) Module nouveau: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[ 8.390] compiled for 1.10.1, module version = 0.0.16
[ 8.390] Module class: X.Org Video Driver
[ 8.390] ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 10.0
[ 8.390] (II) LoadModule: "nv"
[ 8.390] (WW) Warning, couldn't open module nv
[ 8.390] (II) UnloadModule: "nv"
[ 8.390] (II) Unloading nv
[ 8.390] (EE) Failed to load module "nv" (module does not exist, 0)
[ 8.390] (II) LoadModule: "vesa"
[ 8.390] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/vesa_drv.so
[ 8.391] (II) Module vesa: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[ 8.391] compiled for 1.10.2, module version = 2.3.0
[ 8.391] Module class: X.Org Video Driver
[ 8.391] ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 10.0
[ 8.391] (II) LoadModule: "fbdev"
[ 8.391] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/fbdev_drv.so
[ 8.391] (II) Module fbdev: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[ 8.391] compiled for 1.10.0, module version = 0.4.2
[ 8.391] ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 10.0
[ 8.391] (II) NOUVEAU driver Date: Thu Mar 24 02:13:12 2011 +1000
[ 8.391] (II) NOUVEAU driver for NVIDIA chipset families :
[ 8.391] RIVA TNT (NV04)
[ 8.391] RIVA TNT2 (NV05)
[ 8.391] GeForce 256 (NV10)
[ 8.391] GeForce 2 (NV11, NV15)
[ 8.391] GeForce 4MX (NV17, NV18)
[ 8.391] GeForce 3 (NV20)
[ 8.391] GeForce 4Ti (NV25, NV28)
[ 8.391] GeForce FX (NV3x)
[ 8.391] GeForce 6 (NV4x)
[ 8.391] GeForce 7 (G7x)
[ 8.391] GeForce 8 (G8x)
[ 8.391] GeForce GTX 200 (NVA0)
[ 8.391] GeForce GTX 400 (NVC0)
[ 8.391] (II) VESA: driver for VESA chipsets: vesa
[ 8.391] (II) FBDEV: driver for framebuffer: fbdev
[ 8.391] (++) using VT number 1

[ 8.391] (WW) xf86OpenConsole: setpgid failed: Operation not permitted
[ 8.391] (WW) xf86OpenConsole: setsid failed: Operation not permitted
[ 8.391] drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
[ 8.391] drmOpenDevice: open result is 10, (OK)
[ 8.391] drmOpenByBusid: Searching for BusID pci:0000:01:00.0
[ 8.391] drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
[ 8.391] drmOpenDevice: open result is 10, (OK)
[ 8.391] drmOpenByBusid: drmOpenMinor returns 10
[ 8.391] drmOpenByBusid: drmGetBusid reports pci:0000:01:00.0
[ 8.391] (II) [drm] nouveau interface version: 0.0.16
[ 8.392] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/nouveau_drv.so
[ 8.392] (WW) Falling back to old probe method for vesa
[ 8.392] (WW) Falling back to old probe method for fbdev
[ 8.392] (II) Loading sub module "fbdevhw"
[ 8.392] (II) LoadModule: "fbdevhw"
[ 8.392] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/libfbdevhw.so
[ 8.392] (II) Module fbdevhw: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[ 8.392] compiled for 1.10.2, module version = 0.0.2
[ 8.392] ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 10.0
[ 8.392] (II) Loading sub module "dri"
[ 8.392] (II) LoadModule: "dri"
[ 8.392] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libdri.so
[ 8.392] (II) Module dri: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[ 8.392] compiled for 1.10.2, module version = 1.0.0
[ 8.392] ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 5.0
[ 8.392] (II) NOUVEAU(0): Loaded DRI module
[ 8.392] drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
[ 8.392] drmOpenDevice: open result is 12, (OK)
[ 8.392] drmOpenByBusid: Searching for BusID pci:0000:01:00.0
[ 8.392] drmOpenByBusid: drmOpenMinor returns 12
[ 8.392] drmOpenByBusid: drmGetBusid reports pci:0000:01:00.0
[ 8.392] (II) [drm] DRM interface version 1.4
[ 8.392] (II) [drm] DRM open master succeeded.
[ 8.392] (--) NOUVEAU(0): Chipset: "NVIDIA NV84"
[ 8.392] (II) NOUVEAU(0): Creating default Display subsection in Screen section
"Default Screen Section" for depth/fbbpp 24/32
[ 8.392] (==) NOUVEAU(0): Depth 24, (--) framebuffer bpp 32
[ 8.392] (==) NOUVEAU(0): RGB weight 888
[ 8.392] (==) NOUVEAU(0): Default visual is TrueColor
[ 8.392] (==) NOUVEAU(0): Using HW cursor
[ 8.392] (==) NOUVEAU(0): GLX sync to VBlank disabled.
[ 8.392] (==) NOUVEAU(0): Page flipping enabled
[ 8.498] (II) NOUVEAU(0): Output DVI-I-1 has no monitor section
[ 8.607] (II) NOUVEAU(0): Output DVI-I-2 has no monitor section
[ 8.711] (II) NOUVEAU(0): EDID for output DVI-I-1
[ 8.711] (II) NOUVEAU(0): Manufacturer: BNQ Model: 780e Serial#: 21573
[ 8.711] (II) NOUVEAU(0): Year: 2008 Week: 33
[ 8.711] (II) NOUVEAU(0): EDID Version: 1.3
[ 8.711] (II) NOUVEAU(0): Digital Display Input
[ 8.711] (II) NOUVEAU(0): Max Image Size [cm]: horiz.: 47 vert.: 30
[ 8.711] (II) NOUVEAU(0): Gamma: 2.20
[ 8.711] (II) NOUVEAU(0): DPMS capabilities: Off
[ 8.711] (II) NOUVEAU(0): Supported color encodings: RGB 4:4:4 YCrCb 4:4:4
[ 8.711] (II) NOUVEAU(0): Default color space is primary color space
[ 8.711] (II) NOUVEAU(0): First detailed timing is preferred mode
[ 8.711] (II) NOUVEAU(0): redX: 0.640 redY: 0.340 greenX: 0.290 greenY: 0.609
[ 8.711] (II) NOUVEAU(0): blueX: 0.140 blueY: 0.069 whiteX: 0.310 whiteY: 0.330
[ 8.711] (II) NOUVEAU(0): Supported established timings:
[ 8.711] (II) NOUVEAU(0): 720x400@70Hz
[ 8.711] (II) NOUVEAU(0): 640x480@60Hz
[ 8.711] (II) NOUVEAU(0): 640x480@75Hz
[ 8.711] (II) NOUVEAU(0): 800x600@60Hz
[ 8.711] (II) NOUVEAU(0): 800x600@75Hz
[ 8.712] (II) NOUVEAU(0): 832x624@75Hz
[ 8.712] (II) NOUVEAU(0): 1024x768@60Hz
[ 8.712] (II) NOUVEAU(0): 1024x768@75Hz
[ 8.712] (II) NOUVEAU(0): 1280x1024@75Hz
[ 8.712] (II) NOUVEAU(0): 1152x864@75Hz
[ 8.712] (II) NOUVEAU(0): Manufacturer's mask: 0
[ 8.712] (II) NOUVEAU(0): Supported standard timings:
[ 8.712] (II) NOUVEAU(0): #0: hsize: 1152 vsize 720 refresh: 60 vid: 113
[ 8.712] (II) NOUVEAU(0): #1: hsize: 1280 vsize 800 refresh: 60 vid: 129
[ 8.712] (II) NOUVEAU(0): #2: hsize: 1440 vsize 900 refresh: 60 vid: 149
[ 8.712] (II) NOUVEAU(0): #3: hsize: 1440 vsize 900 refresh: 75 vid: 3989
[ 8.712] (II) NOUVEAU(0): #4: hsize: 1280 vsize 1024 refresh: 60 vid: 32897
[ 8.712] (II) NOUVEAU(0): #5: hsize: 1280 vsize 960 refresh: 60 vid: 16513
[ 8.712] (II) NOUVEAU(0): #6: hsize: 1680 vsize 1050 refresh: 60 vid: 179
[ 8.712] (II) NOUVEAU(0): Supported detailed timing:
[ 8.712] (II) NOUVEAU(0): clock: 119.0 MHz Image Size: 473 x 297 mm
[ 8.712] (II) NOUVEAU(0): h_active: 1680 h_sync: 1728 h_sync_end 1760 h_blank_end 1840 h_border: 0
[ 8.712] (II) NOUVEAU(0): v_active: 1050 v_sync: 1053 v_sync_end 1059 v_blanking: 1080 v_border: 0
[ 8.712] (II) NOUVEAU(0): Serial No: F8801583SL0
[ 8.712] (II) NOUVEAU(0): Ranges: V min: 55 V max: 76 Hz, H min: 31 H max: 83 kHz, PixClock max 175 MHz
[ 8.712] (II) NOUVEAU(0): Monitor name: BenQ G2200W
[ 8.712] (II) NOUVEAU(0): EDID (in hex):
[ 8.712] (II) NOUVEAU(0): 00ffffffffffff0009d10e7845540000
[ 8.712] (II) NOUVEAU(0): 21120103802f1e782ec4f6a3574a9c23
[ 8.712] (II) NOUVEAU(0): 114f54a56b80710081009500950f8180
[ 8.712] (II) NOUVEAU(0): 8140b30001017c2e90a0601a1e403020
[ 8.712] (II) NOUVEAU(0): 3600d92911000018000000ff00463838
[ 8.712] (II) NOUVEAU(0): 3031353833534c300a20000000fd0037
[ 8.712] (II) NOUVEAU(0): 4c1f5311000a202020202020000000fc
[ 8.712] (II) NOUVEAU(0): 0042656e51204732323030570a2000d3
[ 8.712] (II) NOUVEAU(0): EDID vendor "BNQ", prod id 30734
[ 8.712] (II) NOUVEAU(0): Using EDID range info for horizontal sync
[ 8.712] (II) NOUVEAU(0): Using EDID range info for vertical refresh
[ 8.712] (II) NOUVEAU(0): Printing DDC gathered Modelines:
[ 8.712] (II) NOUVEAU(0): Modeline "1680x1050"x0.0 119.00 1680 1728 1760 1840 1050 1053 1059 1080 -hsync -vsync (64.7 kHz)
[ 8.712] (II) NOUVEAU(0): Modeline "800x600"x0.0 40.00 800 840 968 1056 600 601 605 628 +hsync +vsync (37.9 kHz)
[ 8.712] (II) NOUVEAU(0): Modeline "640x480"x0.0 31.50 640 656 720 840 480 481 484 500 -hsync -vsync (37.5 kHz)
[ 8.712] (II) NOUVEAU(0): Modeline "640x480"x0.0 25.18 640 656 752 800 480 490 492 525 -hsync -vsync (31.5 kHz)
[ 8.712] (II) NOUVEAU(0): Modeline "720x400"x0.0 28.32 720 738 846 900 400 412 414 449 -hsync +vsync (31.5 kHz)
[ 8.712] (II) NOUVEAU(0): Modeline "1280x1024"x0.0 135.00 1280 1296 1440 1688 1024 1025 1028 1066 +hsync +vsync (80.0 kHz)
[ 8.712] (II) NOUVEAU(0): Modeline "1024x768"x0.0 78.75 1024 1040 1136 1312 768 769 772 800 +hsync +vsync (60.0 kHz)
[ 8.712] (II) NOUVEAU(0): Modeline "1024x768"x0.0 65.00 1024 1048 1184 1344 768 771 777 806 -hsync -vsync (48.4 kHz)
[ 8.712] (II) NOUVEAU(0): Modeline "832x624"x0.0 57.28 832 864 928 1152 624 625 628 667 -hsync -vsync (49.7 kHz)
[ 8.712] (II) NOUVEAU(0): Modeline "800x600"x0.0 49.50 800 816 896 1056 600 601 604 625 +hsync +vsync (46.9 kHz)
[ 8.712] (II) NOUVEAU(0): Modeline "1152x864"x0.0 108.00 1152 1216 1344 1600 864 865 868 900 +hsync +vsync (67.5 kHz)
[ 8.712] (II) NOUVEAU(0): Modeline "1152x720"x60.0 67.32 1152 1208 1328 1504 720 721 724 746 -hsync +vsync (44.8 kHz)
[ 8.712] (II) NOUVEAU(0): Modeline "1280x800"x0.0 71.00 1280 1328 1360 1440 800 803 809 823 +hsync -vsync (49.3 kHz)
[ 8.712] (II) NOUVEAU(0): Modeline "1440x900"x0.0 88.75 1440 1488 1520 1600 900 903 909 926 +hsync -vsync (55.5 kHz)
[ 8.712] (II) NOUVEAU(0): Modeline "1440x900"x0.0 136.75 1440 1536 1688 1936 900 903 909 942 -hsync +vsync (70.6 kHz)
[ 8.712] (II) NOUVEAU(0): Modeline "1280x1024"x0.0 108.00 1280 1328 1440 1688 1024 1025 1028 1066 +hsync +vsync (64.0 kHz)
[ 8.712] (II) NOUVEAU(0): Modeline "1280x960"x0.0 108.00 1280 1376 1488 1800 960 961 964 1000 +hsync +vsync (60.0 kHz)
[ 8.712] (II) NOUVEAU(0): Modeline "1680x1050"x0.0 119.00 1680 1728 1760 1840 1050 1053 1059 1080 +hsync -vsync (64.7 kHz)
[ 8.712] (II) NOUVEAU(0): Printing probed modes for output DVI-I-1
[ 8.712] (II) NOUVEAU(0): Modeline "1680x1050"x59.9 119.00 1680 1728 1760 1840 1050 1053 1059 1080 -hsync -vsync (64.7 kHz)
[ 8.712] (II) NOUVEAU(0): Modeline "1280x1024"x75.0 135.00 1280 1296 1440 1688 1024 1025 1028 1066 +hsync +vsync (80.0 kHz)
[ 8.712] (II) NOUVEAU(0): Modeline "1280x1024"x60.0 108.00 1280 1328 1440 1688 1024 1025 1028 1066 +hsync +vsync (64.0 kHz)
[ 8.712] (II) NOUVEAU(0): Modeline "1440x900"x75.0 136.75 1440 1536 1688 1936 900 903 909 942 -hsync +vsync (70.6 kHz)
[ 8.712] (II) NOUVEAU(0): Modeline "1440x900"x59.9 106.50 1440 1520 1672 1904 900 903 909 934 -hsync +vsync (55.9 kHz)
[ 8.712] (II) NOUVEAU(0): Modeline "1280x960"x60.0 108.00 1280 1376 1488 1800 960 961 964 1000 +hsync +vsync (60.0 kHz)
[ 8.712] (II) NOUVEAU(0): Modeline "1280x800"x59.8 83.50 1280 1352 1480 1680 800 803 809 831 +hsync -vsync (49.7 kHz)
[ 8.712] (II) NOUVEAU(0): Modeline "1152x864"x75.0 108.00 1152 1216 1344 1600 864 865 868 900 +hsync +vsync (67.5 kHz)
[ 8.712] (II) NOUVEAU(0): Modeline "1152x720"x60.0 67.28 1152 1208 1328 1504 720 721 724 746 -hsync +vsync (44.7 kHz)
[ 8.712] (II) NOUVEAU(0): Modeline "1024x768"x75.1 78.80 1024 1040 1136 1312 768 769 772 800 +hsync +vsync (60.1 kHz)
[ 8.712] (II) NOUVEAU(0): Modeline "1024x768"x60.0 65.00 1024 1048 1184 1344 768 771 777 806 -hsync -vsync (48.4 kHz)
[ 8.712] (II) NOUVEAU(0): Modeline "832x624"x74.6 57.28 832 864 928 1152 624 625 628 667 -hsync -vsync (49.7 kHz)
[ 8.712] (II) NOUVEAU(0): Modeline "800x600"x75.0 49.50 800 816 896 1056 600 601 604 625 +hsync +vsync (46.9 kHz)
[ 8.712] (II) NOUVEAU(0): Modeline "800x600"x60.3 40.00 800 840 968 1056 600 601 605 628 +hsync +vsync (37.9 kHz)
[ 8.712] (II) NOUVEAU(0): Modeline "640x480"x75.0 31.50 640 656 720 840 480 481 484 500 -hsync -vsync (37.5 kHz)
[ 8.712] (II) NOUVEAU(0): Modeline "640x480"x60.0 25.20 640 656 752 800 480 490 492 525 -hsync -vsync (31.5 kHz)
[ 8.712] (II) NOUVEAU(0): Modeline "720x400"x70.1 28.32 720 738 846 900 400 412 414 449 -hsync +vsync (31.5 kHz)
[ 8.818] (II) NOUVEAU(0): EDID for output DVI-I-2
[ 8.823] (II) NOUVEAU(0): Output DVI-I-1 connected
[ 8.823] (II) NOUVEAU(0): Output DVI-I-2 disconnected
[ 8.823] (II) NOUVEAU(0): Using exact sizes for initial modes
[ 8.823] (II) NOUVEAU(0): Output DVI-I-1 using initial mode 1680x1050
[ 8.823] (II) NOUVEAU(0): Using default gamma of (1.0, 1.0, 1.0) unless otherwise stated.
[ 8.823] (--) NOUVEAU(0): Virtual size is 1680x1050 (pitch 0)
[ 8.823] (**) NOUVEAU(0): Driver mode "1680x1050": 119.0 MHz (scaled from 0.0 MHz), 64.7 kHz, 59.9 Hz
[ 8.823] (II) NOUVEAU(0): Modeline "1680x1050"x59.9 119.00 1680 1728 1760 1840 1050 1053 1059 1080 -hsync -vsync (64.7 kHz)
[ 8.823] (**) NOUVEAU(0): Driver mode "1280x1024": 135.0 MHz (scaled from 0.0 MHz), 80.0 kHz, 75.0 Hz
[ 8.823] (II) NOUVEAU(0): Modeline "1280x1024"x75.0 135.00 1280 1296 1440 1688 1024 1025 1028 1066 +hsync +vsync (80.0 kHz)
[ 8.823] (**) NOUVEAU(0): Driver mode "1280x1024": 108.0 MHz (scaled from 0.0 MHz), 64.0 kHz, 60.0 Hz
[ 8.823] (II) NOUVEAU(0): Modeline "1280x1024"x60.0 108.00 1280 1328 1440 1688 1024 1025 1028 1066 +hsync +vsync (64.0 kHz)
[ 8.823] (**) NOUVEAU(0): Driver mode "1440x900": 136.8 MHz (scaled from 0.0 MHz), 70.6 kHz, 75.0 Hz
[ 8.823] (II) NOUVEAU(0): Modeline "1440x900"x75.0 136.75 1440 1536 1688 1936 900 903 909 942 -hsync +vsync (70.6 kHz)
[ 8.823] (**) NOUVEAU(0): Driver mode "1440x900": 106.5 MHz (scaled from 0.0 MHz), 55.9 kHz, 59.9 Hz
[ 8.823] (II) NOUVEAU(0): Modeline "1440x900"x59.9 106.50 1440 1520 1672 1904 900 903 909 934 -hsync +vsync (55.9 kHz)
[ 8.823] (**) NOUVEAU(0): Driver mode "1280x960": 108.0 MHz (scaled from 0.0 MHz), 60.0 kHz, 60.0 Hz
[ 8.823] (II) NOUVEAU(0): Modeline "1280x960"x60.0 108.00 1280 1376 1488 1800 960 961 964 1000 +hsync +vsync (60.0 kHz)
[ 8.823] (**) NOUVEAU(0): Driver mode "1280x800": 83.5 MHz (scaled from 0.0 MHz), 49.7 kHz, 59.8 Hz
[ 8.823] (II) NOUVEAU(0): Modeline "1280x800"x59.8 83.50 1280 1352 1480 1680 800 803 809 831 +hsync -vsync (49.7 kHz)
[ 8.823] (**) NOUVEAU(0): Driver mode "1152x864": 108.0 MHz (scaled from 0.0 MHz), 67.5 kHz, 75.0 Hz
[ 8.823] (II) NOUVEAU(0): Modeline "1152x864"x75.0 108.00 1152 1216 1344 1600 864 865 868 900 +hsync +vsync (67.5 kHz)
[ 8.823] (**) NOUVEAU(0): Mode "1152x720": 67.3 MHz (scaled from 0.0 MHz), 44.7 kHz, 60.0 Hz
[ 8.823] (II) NOUVEAU(0): Modeline "1152x720"x60.0 67.28 1152 1208 1328 1504 720 721 724 746 -hsync +vsync (44.7 kHz)
[ 8.823] (**) NOUVEAU(0): Driver mode "1024x768": 78.8 MHz (scaled from 0.0 MHz), 60.1 kHz, 75.1 Hz
[ 8.823] (II) NOUVEAU(0): Modeline "1024x768"x75.1 78.80 1024 1040 1136 1312 768 769 772 800 +hsync +vsync (60.1 kHz)
[ 8.823] (**) NOUVEAU(0): Driver mode "1024x768": 65.0 MHz (scaled from 0.0 MHz), 48.4 kHz, 60.0 Hz
[ 8.823] (II) NOUVEAU(0): Modeline "1024x768"x60.0 65.00 1024 1048 1184 1344 768 771 777 806 -hsync -vsync (48.4 kHz)
[ 8.823] (**) NOUVEAU(0): Driver mode "832x624": 57.3 MHz (scaled from 0.0 MHz), 49.7 kHz, 74.6 Hz
[ 8.823] (II) NOUVEAU(0): Modeline "832x624"x74.6 57.28 832 864 928 1152 624 625 628 667 -hsync -vsync (49.7 kHz)
[ 8.823] (**) NOUVEAU(0): Driver mode "800x600": 49.5 MHz (scaled from 0.0 MHz), 46.9 kHz, 75.0 Hz
[ 8.823] (II) NOUVEAU(0): Modeline "800x600"x75.0 49.50 800 816 896 1056 600 601 604 625 +hsync +vsync (46.9 kHz)
[ 8.823] (**) NOUVEAU(0): Driver mode "800x600": 40.0 MHz (scaled from 0.0 MHz), 37.9 kHz, 60.3 Hz
[ 8.823] (II) NOUVEAU(0): Modeline "800x600"x60.3 40.00 800 840 968 1056 600 601 605 628 +hsync +vsync (37.9 kHz)
[ 8.823] (**) NOUVEAU(0): Driver mode "640x480": 31.5 MHz (scaled from 0.0 MHz), 37.5 kHz, 75.0 Hz
[ 8.823] (II) NOUVEAU(0): Modeline "640x480"x75.0 31.50 640 656 720 840 480 481 484 500 -hsync -vsync (37.5 kHz)
[ 8.823] (**) NOUVEAU(0): Driver mode "640x480": 25.2 MHz (scaled from 0.0 MHz), 31.5 kHz, 60.0 Hz
[ 8.823] (II) NOUVEAU(0): Modeline "640x480"x60.0 25.20 640 656 752 800 480 490 492 525 -hsync -vsync (31.5 kHz)
[ 8.823] (**) NOUVEAU(0): Driver mode "720x400": 28.3 MHz (scaled from 0.0 MHz), 31.5 kHz, 70.1 Hz
[ 8.823] (II) NOUVEAU(0): Modeline "720x400"x70.1 28.32 720 738 846 900 400 412 414 449 -hsync +vsync (31.5 kHz)
[ 8.824] (**) NOUVEAU(0): Display dimensions: (470, 300) mm
[ 8.824] (**) NOUVEAU(0): DPI set to (90, 88)
[ 8.824] (II) Loading sub module "fb"
[ 8.824] (II) LoadModule: "fb"
[ 8.824] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/libfb.so
[ 8.824] (II) Module fb: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[ 8.824] compiled for 1.10.2, module version = 1.0.0
[ 8.824] ABI class: X.Org ANSI C Emulation, version 0.4
[ 8.824] (II) Loading sub module "exa"
[ 8.824] (II) LoadModule: "exa"
[ 8.824] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/libexa.so
[ 8.824] (II) Module exa: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[ 8.824] compiled for 1.10.2, module version = 2.5.0
[ 8.824] ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 10.0
[ 8.824] (II) Loading sub module "shadowfb"
[ 8.824] (II) LoadModule: "shadowfb"
[ 8.825] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/libshadowfb.so
[ 8.825] (II) Module shadowfb: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[ 8.825] compiled for 1.10.2, module version = 1.0.0
[ 8.825] ABI class: X.Org ANSI C Emulation, version 0.4
[ 8.825] (II) UnloadModule: "vesa"
[ 8.825] (II) Unloading vesa
[ 8.825] (II) UnloadModule: "fbdev"
[ 8.825] (II) Unloading fbdev
[ 8.825] (II) UnloadModule: "fbdevhw"
[ 8.825] (II) Unloading fbdevhw
[ 8.825] (--) Depth 24 pixmap format is 32 bpp
[ 8.827] (II) NOUVEAU(0): Opened GPU channel 2
[ 8.828] (II) NOUVEAU(0): [DRI2] Setup complete
[ 8.828] (II) NOUVEAU(0): [DRI2] DRI driver: nouveau
[ 8.828] (II) NOUVEAU(0): GART: 512MiB available
[ 8.829] (II) NOUVEAU(0): GART: Allocated 16MiB as a scratch buffer
[ 8.829] (II) EXA(0): Driver allocated offscreen pixmaps
[ 8.829] (II) EXA(0): Driver registered support for the following operations:
[ 8.829] (II) Solid
[ 8.829] (II) Copy
[ 8.830] (II) Composite (RENDER acceleration)
[ 8.830] (II) UploadToScreen
[ 8.830] (II) DownloadFromScreen
[ 8.830] (==) NOUVEAU(0): Backing store disabled
[ 8.830] (==) NOUVEAU(0): Silken mouse enabled
[ 8.830] (II) NOUVEAU(0): [XvMC] Associated with Nouveau GeForce 8/9 Textured Video.
[ 8.830] (II) NOUVEAU(0): [XvMC] Extension initialized.
[ 8.830] (==) NOUVEAU(0): DPMS enabled
[ 8.830] (II) NOUVEAU(0): RandR 1.2 enabled, ignore the following RandR disabled message.
[ 8.830] (--) RandR disabled
[ 8.830] (II) Initializing built-in extension Generic Event Extension
[ 8.830] (II) Initializing built-in extension SHAPE
[ 8.830] (II) Initializing built-in extension MIT-SHM
[ 8.830] (II) Initializing built-in extension XInputExtension
[ 8.830] (II) Initializing built-in extension XTEST
[ 8.830] (II) Initializing built-in extension BIG-REQUESTS
[ 8.830] (II) Initializing built-in extension SYNC
[ 8.830] (II) Initializing built-in extension XKEYBOARD
[ 8.830] (II) Initializing built-in extension XC-MISC
[ 8.830] (II) Initializing built-in extension SECURITY
[ 8.830] (II) Initializing built-in extension XINERAMA
[ 8.830] (II) Initializing built-in extension XFIXES
[ 8.830] (II) Initializing built-in extension RENDER
[ 8.830] (II) Initializing built-in extension RANDR
[ 8.830] (II) Initializing built-in extension COMPOSITE
[ 8.830] (II) Initializing built-in extension DAMAGE
[ 8.830] (II) Initializing built-in extension GESTURE
[ 8.837] (II) AIGLX: Trying DRI driver /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/nouveau_dri.so
[ 9.015] (II) AIGLX: enabled GLX_MESA_copy_sub_buffer
[ 9.015] (II) AIGLX: enabled GLX_INTEL_swap_event
[ 9.015] (II) AIGLX: enabled GLX_SGI_swap_control and GLX_MESA_swap_control
[ 9.015] (II) AIGLX: enabled GLX_SGI_make_current_read
[ 9.015] (II) AIGLX: GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap backed by buffer objects
[ 9.015] (II) AIGLX: Loaded and initialized nouveau
[ 9.015] (II) GLX: Initialized DRI2 GL provider for screen 0
[ 9.019] (II) NOUVEAU(0): NVEnterVT is called.
[ 9.024] (II) NOUVEAU(0): Setting screen physical size to 444 x 277
[ 9.024] resize called 1680 1050
[ 9.032] (II) XKB: reuse xkmfile /var/lib/xkb/server-B20D7FC79C7F597315E3E501AEF10E0D866E8E92.xkm
[ 9.040] (II) config/udev: Adding input device Power Button (/dev/input/event1)
[ 9.040] (**) Power Button: Applying InputClass "evdev keyboard catchall"
[ 9.040] (II) LoadModule: "evdev"
[ 9.040] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input/evdev_drv.so
[ 9.041] (II) Module evdev: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[ 9.041] compiled for 1.10.0.902, module version = 2.6.0
[ 9.041] Module class: X.Org XInput Driver
[ 9.041] ABI class: X.Org XInput driver, version 12.3
[ 9.041] (II) Using input driver 'evdev' for 'Power Button'
[ 9.041] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input/evdev_drv.so
[ 9.041] (**) Power Button: always reports core events
[ 9.041] (**) Power Button: Device: "/dev/input/event1"
[ 9.041] (--) Power Button: Found keys
[ 9.041] (II) Power Button: Configuring as keyboard
[ 9.041] (**) Option "config_info" "udev:/sys/devices/LNXSYSTM:00/LNXPWRBN:00/input/input1/event1"
[ 9.041] (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Power Button" (type: KEYBOARD)
[ 9.041] (**) Option "xkb_rules" "evdev"
[ 9.041] (**) Option "xkb_model" "pc105"
[ 9.041] (**) Option "xkb_layout" "gb"
[ 9.043] (II) XKB: reuse xkmfile /var/lib/xkb/server-2B4266AA55228AE7D9557A18F1965DBA19850816.xkm
[ 9.046] (II) config/udev: Adding input device Power Button (/dev/input/event0)
[ 9.046] (**) Power Button: Applying InputClass "evdev keyboard catchall"
[ 9.046] (II) Using input driver 'evdev' for 'Power Button'
[ 9.046] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input/evdev_drv.so
[ 9.046] (**) Power Button: always reports core events
[ 9.046] (**) Power Button: Device: "/dev/input/event0"
[ 9.046] (--) Power Button: Found keys
[ 9.046] (II) Power Button: Configuring as keyboard
[ 9.046] (**) Option "config_info" "udev:/sys/devices/LNXSYSTM:00/device:00/PNP0C0C:00/input/input0/event0"
[ 9.046] (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Power Button" (type: KEYBOARD)
[ 9.046] (**) Option "xkb_rules" "evdev"
[ 9.046] (**) Option "xkb_model" "pc105"
[ 9.046] (**) Option "xkb_layout" "gb"
[ 9.050] (II) config/udev: Adding input device PS/2+USB Mouse (/dev/input/event3)
[ 9.088] (**) PS/2+USB Mouse: Applying InputClass "evdev pointer catchall"
[ 9.088] (II) Using input driver 'evdev' for 'PS/2+USB Mouse'
[ 9.088] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input/evdev_drv.so
[ 9.088] (**) PS/2+USB Mouse: always reports core events
[ 9.088] (**) PS/2+USB Mouse: Device: "/dev/input/event3"
[ 9.088] (--) PS/2+USB Mouse: Found 9 mouse buttons
[ 9.088] (--) PS/2+USB Mouse: Found scroll wheel(s)
[ 9.088] (--) PS/2+USB Mouse: Found relative axes
[ 9.088] (--) PS/2+USB Mouse: Found x and y relative axes
[ 9.088] (II) PS/2+USB Mouse: Configuring as mouse
[ 9.088] (II) PS/2+USB Mouse: Adding scrollwheel support
[ 9.088] (**) PS/2+USB Mouse: YAxisMapping: buttons 4 and 5
[ 9.088] (**) PS/2+USB Mouse: EmulateWheelButton: 4, EmulateWheelInertia: 10, EmulateWheelTimeout: 200
[ 9.088] (**) Option "config_info" "udev:/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:12.1/usb4/4-1/4-1:1.0/input/input3/event3"
[ 9.088] (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "PS/2+USB Mouse" (type: MOUSE)
[ 9.088] (II) PS/2+USB Mouse: initialized for relative axes.
[ 9.088] (**) PS/2+USB Mouse: (accel) keeping acceleration scheme 1
[ 9.088] (**) PS/2+USB Mouse: (accel) acceleration profile 0
[ 9.088] (**) PS/2+USB Mouse: (accel) acceleration factor: 2.000
[ 9.088] (**) PS/2+USB Mouse: (accel) acceleration threshold: 4
[ 9.088] (II) config/udev: Adding input device PS/2+USB Mouse (/dev/input/mouse0)
[ 9.088] (II) No input driver/identifier specified (ignoring)
[ 9.091] (II) config/udev: Adding input device HDA ATI SB Headphone (/dev/input/event4)
[ 9.091] (II) No input driver/identifier specified (ignoring)
[ 9.092] (II) config/udev: Adding input device AT Translated Set 2 keyboard (/dev/input/event2)
[ 9.092] (**) AT Translated Set 2 keyboard: Applying InputClass "evdev keyboard catchall"
[ 9.092] (II) Using input driver 'evdev' for 'AT Translated Set 2 keyboard'
[ 9.092] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input/evdev_drv.so
[ 9.092] (**) AT Translated Set 2 keyboard: always reports core events
[ 9.092] (**) AT Translated Set 2 keyboard: Device: "/dev/input/event2"
[ 9.092] (--) AT Translated Set 2 keyboard: Found keys
[ 9.092] (II) AT Translated Set 2 keyboard: Configuring as keyboard
[ 9.092] (**) Option "config_info" "udev:/sys/devices/platform/i8042/serio0/input/input2/event2"
[ 9.092] (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "AT Translated Set 2 keyboard" (type: KEYBOARD)
[ 9.092] (**) Option "xkb_rules" "evdev"
[ 9.092] (**) Option "xkb_model" "pc105"
[ 9.092] (**) Option "xkb_layout" "gb"
[ 27.390] (II) AIGLX: Suspending AIGLX clients for VT switch
[ 27.390] (II) NOUVEAU(0): NVLeaveVT is called.
[ 37.199] (II) AT Translated Set 2 keyboard: Close
[ 37.199] (II) UnloadModule: "evdev"
[ 37.199] (II) Unloading evdev
[ 37.199] (II) PS/2+USB Mouse: Close
[ 37.199] (II) Power Button: Close
[ 37.199] (II) Power Button: Close
[ 37.202] (II) NOUVEAU(0): Closed GPU channel 2
[ 37.208] ddxSigGiveUp: Closing log

lucazade
June 21st, 2011, 12:16 PM
I treid the vt.handoff=7 removal at boot and same thing no login screen.

I'd only seen the system failing to load nvidia and nv when I tried startx from the shell.
Anyway here's the xorg.0.log. There is no nvidia package installed on the system now.

mmh.. from log nouveau drivers are in use and there are no obviuos error messages abou it.
the thing about nv and nvidia modules failed to load module is normal, i've checked also here and it is the same.

Because of the lack of xorg.conf in /etc/X11 in the latest releases of Ubuntu, the system tries to detect the correct driver for the pciid of you graphic card and choose the driver installed and unload drivers not installed (like nv and nvidia).

So the problem of blank screen doesn't seem due to a issue with drivers..
does a livecd work ok?

philinux
June 21st, 2011, 12:39 PM
mmh.. from log nouveau drivers are in use and there are no obviuos error messages abou it.
the thing about nv and nvidia modules failed to load module is normal, i've checked also here and it is the same.

Because of the lack of xorg.conf in /etc/X11 in the latest releases of Ubuntu, the system tries to detect the correct driver for the pciid of you graphic card and choose the driver installed and unload drivers not installed (like nv and nvidia).

So the problem of blank screen doesn't seem due to a issue with drivers..
does a livecd work ok?

Yeah live cd works a treat. I think I'll reinstall gdm and make it the default see if I can get a login screen.

lucazade
June 21st, 2011, 12:50 PM
Yeah live cd works a treat. I think I'll reinstall gdm and make it the default see if I can get a login screen.

yep, probably the issue is related to lightdm.

philinux
June 21st, 2011, 01:16 PM
yep, probably the issue is related to lightdm.

Yeah. Installing gdm gets me unity 2d.However there's no gnome classic option. Just ubuntu and user defined. And gnome-session is installed.

Swapping to lighdm gets me a black screen lol.

edit.

The theme looks borked too. Icon missing top left although it's there. And right top all very light grey.

jbicha
June 21st, 2011, 05:20 PM
You need gnome-session-fallback to get the Ubuntu Classic choice at login. gnome-session-fallback should be installed automatically if you have gnome-panel but remember gnome-panel is not shipped by default any more. So for a clean install, just install gnome-panel.

You may need to manually switch to Ambiance to get your top bar looking dark instead of light gray. One way is to use Gnome Tweak Tool but that depends on Gnome Shell, or you can play around with dconf-editor (install dconf-tools).

philinux
June 21st, 2011, 05:39 PM
You need gnome-session-fallback to get the Ubuntu Classic choice at login. gnome-session-fallback should be installed automatically if you have gnome-panel but remember gnome-panel is not shipped by default any more. So for a clean install, just install gnome-panel.

You may need to manually switch to Ambiance to get your top bar looking dark instead of light gray. One way is to use Gnome Tweak Tool but that depends on Gnome Shell, or you can play around with dconf-editor (install dconf-tools).

Cheers I'd got classic running earlier this aft. How do you switch themes at the moment, cant find it in dconf-editor? I dont want to stray too far from the base install.

kvv_1986
June 21st, 2011, 05:48 PM
Does Gnome 3 fallback mode have the application switcher, and can a dock be added? If so, I don't really care about "classic gnome".

It's not ideal, but I could manage.

Edit: It looks like the fallback mode is quite configurable! Youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=du7EnWPUBPg)

So, it probably means that they will remove the fallback functionality. :p