PDA

View Full Version : Update Manager

chrismine
May 3rd, 2011, 06:45 PM
Not opening here, do everybody have this problem? Oh well back to terminal...

deltacomp
May 3rd, 2011, 07:01 PM
Your update manager is not working? My update manager works fine when accessed through System->Administration->Update Manager.
You may need to change your source. Open update manager from System->Administration->Update Manager, click settings (bottom left corner) select the "ubuntu Software" tab then change the software source (download from).

matt_symes
May 3rd, 2011, 07:15 PM
Not opening here, do everybody have this problem? Oh well back to terminal...

Same as me. Using terminal for updating at the moment.

2.6.39 does not seem to like working with fglrx and my card as well.

Works alright with radeon dirver though.

Harry33
May 3rd, 2011, 08:22 PM
No need to use terminal, though it works OK. But dependency problems may arise.
Update Manager is not even a good application to use with dev versions.

I use Synaptic.
It shows dependency issues and automatically solves many of them, if they can be solved at the moment.

dino99
May 3rd, 2011, 08:50 PM
oneiric i386 here, logged as "classic" and get a unitysupport issue

dont work via menu or terminal

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/oneiric/+source/update-manager/+bug/776311

pAsM
May 4th, 2011, 04:36 AM
Hello,

It seems this bug only impacts those not using Unity (Gnome3/Classic). I was able to resolve this in a "hackish" way using the following instructions

sudo gedit /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/UpdateManager/UpdateManager.py

Now locate any line containing "unity" and comment it out using a hash sign (#). Update Manager should work fine after. These lines are harmless and seem to just be used to post notifications to Unity.

scradock
May 4th, 2011, 05:25 AM
Hello,

It seems this bug only impacts those not using Unity (Gnome3/Classic). I was able to resolve this in a "hackish" way using the following instructions

sudo gedit /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/UpdateManager/UpdateManager.py

Now locate any line containing "unity" and comment it out using a hash sign (#). Update Manager should work fine after. These lines are harmless and seem to just be used to post notifications to Unity.

I'm using Unity in Oneiric and have the same bug, so it's NOT just affecting people not using Unity. I see the bug has been confirmed and triaged, so hopefully there will be a fix soon....I'll try the hack, in the meantime.

dino99
May 4th, 2011, 05:52 AM
commenting lines 87 & 303 (eg: unitysupport) let update-manager to open, but immediatly close after scan done; so all the lines with "unity" need to be commented. But im not sure about the bad effects that will generate, so better to wait a real fix.

note: its with unity installed but logged as classic

chrismine
May 6th, 2011, 06:23 PM
Used the hack and Update Manager works again. Thanks for the info

dino99
May 7th, 2011, 07:11 AM
confirm commenting all lines with "unity*" but 674 & 681 let update-manager working

NCLI
May 7th, 2011, 08:49 AM
Thanks for the fix. Annoying issue.