PDA

View Full Version : Floppy drive woes

macroshaft
May 3rd, 2011, 02:05 PM
I think this is a gnome thing more than a Oneiric thing. Through various versions of ubuntu I get a variety of responses to plugging in a USB floppy drive. Today it is recognised but does nothing when I click on the icon.

No error,no window opens. I'd love to know why this is so difficult when usb drives mount fine.

dino99
May 3rd, 2011, 02:18 PM
two things :
- how floppy bios setting is ?
- is it blacklisted on ubuntu ?

macroshaft
May 3rd, 2011, 04:11 PM
two things :
- how floppy bios setting is ?
- is it blacklisted on ubuntu ?

I don't understand, how would the floppy drive bios settings affect a usb based drive and how do I know if it's blacklisted?

Harry33
May 3rd, 2011, 08:13 PM
I don't understand, how would the floppy drive bios settings affect a usb based drive and how do I know if it's blacklisted?

That is true, bios settings affect only those drives, that are directly connected to mobo.
Bios settings generally are mobo settings.
So, I understand you want the USB floppy drive to work as a plug-and-play device. No automounting via fstab.

Does the drive get mounted properly?
Do you see the floppy icon in Desktop?
Do you see the floppy device mounted in Nautilus (Tree view)?

CreativeReach
May 3rd, 2011, 08:18 PM
this does not apply to ubuntu 11.10.

Harry33
May 3rd, 2011, 08:24 PM
this does not apply to ubuntu 11.10.

What does not apply?

macroshaft
May 3rd, 2011, 10:10 PM
That is true, bios settings affect only those drives, that are directly connected to mobo.
Bios settings generally are mobo settings.
So, I understand you want the USB floppy drive to work as a plug-and-play device. No automounting via fstab.

Does the drive get mounted properly?
Do you see the floppy icon in Desktop?
Do you see the floppy device mounted in Nautilus (Tree view)?

Think about ubunutu's goal to be user friendly for the average user. I plug the drive in and it should just work, instead the icon appears and nothing happens however many times you click on it. So it's recognised but refusing to mount.

Harry33
May 4th, 2011, 05:33 AM
Think about ubunutu's goal to be user friendly for the average user. I plug the drive in and it should just work, instead the icon appears and nothing happens however many times you click on it. So it's recognised but refusing to mount.

I think the device is actually mounted if you get the icon on the Desktop.

macroshaft
May 4th, 2011, 09:43 AM
I think the device is actually mounted if you get the icon on the Desktop.

Either way, what good does it do me if I can't open a window and see the files?