PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Internet connectivity in Europe

sunwatcher
April 30th, 2011, 07:56 PM
I live in the US, and I'm spending several months in Hungary this Summer. I've used wifi hotspots on earlier trips -- with mixed results.

I'm not sure what they are called exactly, but I know that I can get a usb modem here that links my computer up to internet via the cell phone networks.

I have two questions: Do such modems work with Ubuntu? (I have an HP NC6400 and run Ubuntu 10.10.) And, can I get one here, on a US network, that will also work in Europe?

Maybe a third question: Would it be useful (and/or economical) to get one in Europe? If I'm going to do it, I'd rather get one that works both there and here in the US.

Any ideas?

April 30th, 2011, 08:16 PM
3G modem i think is what you are looking for. My huawei will not work at all in ubuntu (not even detected strangely) but older huawei models apparently work. I highly doubt one will be available in US that will work in europe. Mine is a new one and is still single band so will only work in region purchased. You may be able to purchase a pre-pay one while there. One of purchase and re-use it on future visits.

Signal will be something you wish to consider and knowing nothing about reception other than where i live in england i cant help with that

bouncingwilf
April 30th, 2011, 08:29 PM
Don't know how widely it will work but I use a three network prepay ( 20 for the modem and 1gb) and just buy and use a locally purchased sim card in Ireland ( where internet costs are extortionate).

Bouncingwilf

sunwatcher
May 3rd, 2011, 11:09 PM
Thank you for the suggestions. I'm still looking into other possibilities. I've found that there are companies here in the US that sell (and rent) GSM cell phones for use in Europe. Isn't it possible to connect a cell phone to a laptop and use the phone as a modem? Anyone doing this with Ubuntu?