PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] blender on ubuntu 11.04

scardario
April 30th, 2011, 05:11 AM
Hi everybody

I just upgraded to 11.04 and I'm very pleased, it looks and feels amazing!! Thank you very much for every one involved.

I just have an issue so far, and it's the blender version available on the software center, that is 2.49b

this version is outdated, I understand why it was on 10.04 since there had been no newer stable blender versions, but some weeks ago blender foundation released 2.57, the culmination of about 2 years of work of redesign from scratch, the last stable version available is 2.57b, a bugfix release.

I don't have problems downloading blender and installing it, but newer users may not know about this, so I'd like to suggest you to add (not change) blender 2.57b along with 2.49b (2.49b is still useful in some tasks, but for general purposes is far better 2.57b)

I understand that you can't keep track of all the software (specially when they just release a new stable version some weeks ago after almost one and a half year) and adding or changing a piece of software without compromise the system performance/security may be difficult and tricky, but I think that in this case is definitely worth the trouble

thank you, I apologize if this was not the place for this

tgm4883
April 30th, 2011, 05:22 AM
Hi everybody

I just upgraded to 11.04 and I'm very pleased, it looks and feels amazing!! Thank you very much for every one involved.

I just have an issue so far, and it's the blender version available on the software center, that is 2.49b

this version is outdated, I understand why it was on 10.04 since there had been no newer stable blender versions, but some weeks ago blender foundation released 2.57, the culmination of about 2 years of work of redesign from scratch, the last stable version available is 2.57b, a bugfix release.

I don't have problems downloading blender and installing it, but newer users may not know about this, so I'd like to suggest you to add (not change) blender 2.57b along with 2.49b (2.49b is still useful in some tasks, but for general purposes is far better 2.57b)

I understand that you can't keep track of all the software (specially when they just release a new stable version some weeks ago after almost one and a half year) and adding or changing a piece of software without compromise the system performance/security may be difficult and tricky, but I think that in this case is definitely worth the trouble

thank you, I apologize if this was not the place for this

This should actually be files as a bug against Ubuntu on launchpad.net as a packaging request

s00n
May 1st, 2011, 10:17 PM
just add the ppa and uppgrade

tgm4883
May 1st, 2011, 10:59 PM
just add the ppa and uppgrade

Thats a workaround. The point being that since it's in the repositories and there was just a new Ubuntu release it is expected to have the latest (or at least a more up to date) version.

scardario
May 2nd, 2011, 01:15 AM
This should actually be files as a bug against Ubuntu on launchpad.net as a packaging request

done

https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/775232

thanks for the response