View Full Version : [all variants] Some questions about proxies/ I want to be invisible

April 30th, 2011, 12:47 AM
Ok so I have been playing around with the Tor browser for a liitle bit now and I want to take things to the next level.

My main goal is to tunnel all my network traffic through a proxy (I have only tried Tor but if there is a better one please let me know) I want all emails, websites, torrents, downloads, ect... to use Tor or another proxy so as to make myself 'non exsistent'.

For my first question:
Is that what the network proxy settings program does that comes with Ubuntu?

If it is then where would I find the propper setting to fill those form in with? Lets say I wanted to use the Tor network are those setting on their website somewhere?

Is Tor the best proxy available on the Internet or is there a better one?

and finally:
If I did manage to force all my internet traffic through Tor or another proxy would I indead become completely invisible, online no matter where I go/ What I download/ what program I use.

Ok one more:
Will my ISP be able to monitor any of my traffic?

April 30th, 2011, 01:00 AM
I want all emails, websites, torrents, downloads, ect... to use Tor or another proxy so as to make myself 'non exsistent'.Don't use Tor
Tor is an onion routing network made up of nodes (machines) whose bandwidth is donated by volunteers

The idea of Tor is that (among other things) journalists and bloggers in oppressive countries can post stuff to the internet without being tracked (and arrested and tortured)

Running torrents through Tor will disrupt the service for others (with more important needs)

Use a different (paid for) service
Something like the Ipredator (https://www.ipredator.se) VPN service
Not Tor

April 30th, 2011, 01:24 AM
Ok, thanks for the reply.
I will not use Tor, did not realize its perpose.

Ok I geuss my question now would be what is the best proxy? Are there any good free ones other than Tor (which I guess is not really a proxy).

April 30th, 2011, 03:11 PM
Proxies and the like are meant for obscuring the path of the data mid-stream. Not for hiding what you are doing from your ISP.

Imagine the flow of data from the magic computers of the internet to your computer to be like a river. With rivers you can only see where the water is going from or to as far as the next bend in the river. Proxies work by putting additional bends in the flow of the data.

in short- Proxies are meant to keep people in the middle from being able to look up, or down stream. You cannot hide what you are doing on their service from your ISP. They have the data... they have the IPs. They can see the data come in and they can also see that it does not leave again.

If you are doing something online that can get you in trouble- will get you in trouble.

IP addresses are the new Digital Fingerprint, get used to it- it only gets better with IPv6.