PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Intel GMA 950 with Natty

Reeonimus
April 29th, 2011, 08:49 PM
Has anyone tried to use Natty with an Intel GMA 950 chip yet? I cannot seem to get it to run two monitors for some reason. Lots of graphical issues happen when I enable the second. The launcher lags very intensely and moving windows around is as slow as molasses. parts of windows are missing until the mouse moves over them, background disappears.

Maverick handled this okay so I tried to log into classic Ubuntu but I get the same result. Wondering what changed with Natty to cause this.

VonSpyder
September 13th, 2011, 02:53 PM
ALl I know is that for the past three versions there is still no OpenGl on the GMA950.

xBkS
September 13th, 2011, 05:12 PM
Well my brothers Laptop runs a GMA950 integrated card, I plugged in my external monitor to it, and ran both monitors fine. Don't ask me how I did it, I was running a LiveCD. I didn't install any software or drivers from the repos.

chee
September 28th, 2011, 03:24 PM
I ran 11.04 on my Inspiron 6400 with the 950gm chipset. At first I used Unity2d, worked fine but was a bit buggy. Then I switched to regular unity but used compiz configuration and ubuntu-tweak to get rid of most of the lag issues. Worked decently but after a couple months I decided to go back to 10.10 as it just runs better.

In my books, Unity sucks. I gave it a whole hearted try and still didn't like it. But that is regardless of it's issues with the 950gm chipset. From all my research I have come to the conclusion that Ubuntu drivers for this chipset simply don't address opengl issues. Which really limits wines capabilities too. I can't even run SWKOTOR at this point, which is almost 10 years old and runs perfectly in windows.